Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Second 15-rune win and the second win in a streak!
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/hismajestybob.html

Found the +4 ring of evasion and +5 ring of slaying pretty early and they lasted me through the whole game. Probably made things even easier, on top of being a GrFi of Mahkleb.

Gonna take a break from Crawl now. It got tiresome and boring tabbing through the second half of the game, and I've gotten a bit sick of it TBH; think I'm gonna try a few of the new games I got and come back to Crawl later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Meunkin posted:

it feels very binary now: you have one shot to play the stabbing game, and after that most things are awake. Most things that are unaware of you (but awake), seem to become aware of you before you reach them (stabbing unaware creatures, even with stealth 27 and dith and spriggan in a robe, seems to be pretty infrequent occurrences). I think the chance for unaware-but-awake creatures to detect you could use a look. Sneaking up on things was fun, so was retreating when I was seen, would like to play more of this gameplay style in Zot.
Throw some nets!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
After having taken a break for most of this month, I finally got my Gh win. (And my very first sighting of Tiamat, on my 33rd win. Could she be any rarer...?)

One race to go. No prizes for guessing which.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Meunkin posted:

Thanks for the advice! Poly'd TRJ into a titan and killed it, and did V1-4. My situation's improved a bit: rF+ mutation, pumped bows to 15 after finding a +7 short bow (velocity, rF+), and picked up a robe of resist. Also got that antimagic cutlass to +9 for casters. The bow seems to do poo poo for damage, though.

Confusion does very well vs dragons and draconians, my biggest enemy is the tentacled monstrosity. See invis, constriction, enchantment resist, basically the perfect anti SpEn. And there are 4 waiting at the entrance to Zot. Hoping evocables can get me through it, or a lucky teleport.

It seems like hexes isn't intended for the endgame's challenging creatures (TM, OOF, ALich, GoldD, golems, etc). I didn't get much use out of mass confusion (due to hunger costs/usefulness) or darkness. It feels weird that the best spell in this run has been at level 4, or whatever confusion is. A high-level single target -MR spell would be a neat addition. Really, anything, the school just needs some love.

On a related note, stealth seems to have lost something really fun with the removal of things going back to sleep. Yes, it was tedious, but it feels very binary now: you have one shot to play the stabbing game, and after that most things are awake. Most things that are unaware of you (but awake), seem to become aware of you before you reach them (stabbing unaware creatures, even with stealth 27 and dith and spriggan in a robe, seems to be pretty infrequent occurrences). I think the chance for unaware-but-awake creatures to detect you could use a look. Sneaking up on things was fun, so was retreating when I was seen, would like to play more of this gameplay style in Zot.

A short bow is gonna be pretty poo poo past early-game, yeah.

Zot is full of stabbable creatures. Just use invis and you can stab your way through two-thirds of the branch.

In general, you might want to skim through this thread, which starts out with someone being pretty frustrated with hexes, & has good advice for how to get the most out of them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

After having taken a break for most of this month, I finally got my Gh win. (And my very first sighting of Tiamat, on my 33rd win. Could she be any rarer...?)

One race to go. No prizes for guessing which.

Mummy will be a cakewalk for you compared to Felid.

What did you think of Chei?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Mummies are significantly harder than felid IMO, all of my felid wins have taken far less tries than my mummies and my average game gets much further.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Felids aren't really hard if you go the pure caster route. They're just insanely boring.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I don't think it's really any more boring than DE or the like.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Brannock posted:

Mummy will be a cakewalk for you compared to Felid.

What did you think of Chei?

chei's good and fun. definitely led to some dicey situations at times, but the importance of chei's stat boots for gh, a race defined by their godawful stats, cannot be overestimated. doubly so when going UC, since that scales off stats so well.

(this isn't my first chei win, to be clear.)

fun fact: I've never actually played a game of mu

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Ascended a MiFi of Makhleb online! :toot: Took a lot more tries than I expected... one try went down to hubris when I forgot to quaff some might and haste for a one on one with TRJ and a second one died in Shoals:5 because I didn't train up EV or SH for a doublehander axe and just ate too many attacks from a merfolk mob. The winning attempt had some pretty good loot though, I explored all the way to Dis:7 but chickened out because I didn't want to start another MiFi run. Full morgue

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-3304-g6b2d168 (webtiles) character file.

1586767 wormsofcan the Slayer (level 27, 269/269 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Dec 24, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Makhleb.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Dec 26, 2014!

The game lasted 09:25:51 (84003 turns).

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies

PleasingFungus posted:

A short bow is gonna be pretty poo poo past early-game, yeah.

Zot is full of stabbable creatures. Just use invis and you can stab your way through two-thirds of the branch.

In general, you might want to skim through this thread, which starts out with someone being pretty frustrated with hexes, & has good advice for how to get the most out of them.

I won! Actually ended up using confusion more than invis against dragons/draconian packs, and invis only when things resisted. Found that I needed to save food, and the contam for emergency haste when a gold dragon/lich/TM/etc appeared. Stabbing draconian packs and then mass-confusing them was fun, feels appropriately OP when you can get it off (I was surprised at how many things (mara, jogrun, OOF, etc.) were 1-shot).

For most of the game, the decision-making process was:
- Sneak up to creature, keeping as few creatures in LOS as possible, consider shadow step
- Get away with as many stabs as possible
- Confuse or invis
- Kill or escape

That was fun gameplay, I was disappointed when I saw a SI/MR+ creature. Ended up pulling one at a time, then using Haste + Evocable, got in some distraction stabs. Nets: Not many nets dropped, but I probably could have gotten more summoning and played a bit more with distraction stabbing.

That's not to say that I don't still want a cool level 9 hexes spell :) Something to add some stealth-character flavor to the game vs. SI/MR+ baddies, which ended up feeling like pretty traditional Haste -> Melee. I don't know, how about a Level 8 Summons/Hexes that conjures something that taunts for you to play more with the concept of targeted distraction stabbing? Make me branch out into a third, odd-rear end branch of magic, as long as it lets me keep some of that stabby flavor.

Def. did feel weird that level 3 confusion was by far my most used spell through zot, I don't think I would have felt bad if it dropped off more sharply much earlier and was replaced with a higher-level version with more interesting gameplay. A higher-level fulminant prism-type trap could be a lot of fun. Do the new tloc spells let you stab things that are being gravity-sucked?

Meunkin fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 26, 2014

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Hexes are... mostly fine, I think. Not as good as Conjurations, but then again, what is?

Some advantages of Hexes are that it's mostly single-school (with quite a few races getting very high Hexes apt, like +3/+4 level)

It peters around the time where you're going to do the Rune Branches (especially Snake) unless you're lucky enough to pick up Invis, and then picks back up in Zot.

Confusion and Enslavement are the B&B of the school in a 3-runer.

Corona and Slow are super lame though. The MP and turns spent trying to get those to land, you might as well attack with a ranged attack, unless you don't have any in which case you should really fix that.

If I had an issue with the school, it's that it feels very all-or-nothing, where there isn't really ways to do "a splash" of Hexes in the way you can with schools like Necromancy. You want to pump a lot of XP into the school, because you don't really get anything from "partial" success, whereas for something like Conjurations (another school which benefits a lot from going all in), at low levels you can still chip off some damage from afar before changing to your melee weapon or something.

I would like Slow replaced with something that can be useful for Hexes splashers but I don't really have any idea what.

edit: Also just about every Hexes split school spell always feel super awkward to me.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I agree that hexes are too "all or nothing" and that it would be nice to have some spells that aren't so binary (there are, of course: silence, darkness, fulminant prism and gell's gravitas off-hand). But I don't agree that slow sucks. Slow is very good. Hopefully the recent change showing spell success rates will help with this, because it apparently has a power boost that causes it to effect things more frequently than other hexes. And you can kill anything that's slowed even if you really suck at fighting. It goes especially well with the arcane marksmen starting book because you can use it to make sure that your enslaved creatures always win their fights (then get blown up by inner flame). The high success rate, low mp cost and long duration make it competitive with, and complementary to, other hexes. I'll admit, on my wizards it is usually the lowest priority, because it needs more investment than the other spells and doesn't kill things by itself. But if I'm playing a deep elf wizard, especially one who wants to be a hybrid archer, I'll usually take 10 hexes for slow.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think it's really any more boring than DE or the like.

For me part of the fun of Crawl is finding and using loot. DE have acess to all armour slots so they get a fair bit of equipment to use. Felids have none, so most of the time you find something cool you won't be able to use it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Dazzling Spray + Dith's shadow shards makes it actually hit pretty well for it's spell level. The bonus blind stabbing is just gravy. I love it on stabbers.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Can the #stopgamergate2014 thing be removed from webtiles? The whole debacle hasn't been relevant or interesting for months and it's almost 2015.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Today I met a D:1 Centaur.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LogicNinja posted:

Today I met a D:1 Centaur.

Party like it's 2003

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I met my first self-ghost on CSZO the other day. I'm really bad at this game. :(

Actually I think I'm pretty decent until my attention span runs out and I decide to face tank half of D:12.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hard part of Crawl is playing consistently well so that you don't end up in a stupid situation that gets you killed.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or being so willing to burn consumables that stupid situations are just faster methods of killing things! :black101:

My latest win was pretty much that. Demonspawn with Augmentation and Gauntlets of War is great.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

On the consumable note, how do you guys handle IDing the stack of potions/scrolls that you get? I rarely have enough ID scrolls to ID more than wands, so I usually read/quaff one of each in my inventory around D:4-5 once I have a decent inventory, I wear-ID armor and jewelry (since I always seem to have a gigantic stack of remove curse scrolls), and I usually wear-ID weapons too even though I know I shouldn't because of Distortion brand.

The 'buy a bad potion from the shop' trick is neat, but I rarely see a potion shop, and I don't think I've seen a scroll shop yet, so that seems pretty playthrough-specific.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I regularly scroll id potions, at least until I find cmut and mutation. I only scroll ID the good wands but I like that it's a reasonable choice now.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I regularly scroll id potions, at least until I find cmut and mutation. I only scroll ID the good wands but I like that it's a reasonable choice now.

So do you zap the wand once to see if its any good, then ID for charges if it is? That makes a heck of a lot of sense actually...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

bitcoin bastard posted:

So do you zap the wand once to see if its any good, then ID for charges if it is? That makes a heck of a lot of sense actually...

Are you playing 0.15?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Are you playing 0.15?

Yep. Should I move over to trunk/0.16?

E: Reading through http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/blog now.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 26, 2014

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

In trunk they made wands weaker and more reliant on ID scrolls. You learn what type they are immediately but they get significantly less charges if you don't ID them.

In 0.15 you definitely should be zapping wands to find out what they are before deciding if they are worth IDing (probably not unless they are a really good one like healing or hasting)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

bitcoin bastard posted:

In 0.15 I always zap id wands and then only id charges after I've ided every portion or maybe if its heal wounds or haste and I'm low on those potions. In 0.16 it's different as described above, you always know the type and consume more charges if you use it unid.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Lugonu must really like me right now, I found a wand of invisibility on Erica and wands of healing/hasting by Lair:3. :woop:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Welcome to D:3. :pwn:

E: Let me show you the stair dance of my people.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 27, 2014

El Cubo
Dec 14, 2013
What's a good minimum stat value to protect from stat zero?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

bitcoin bastard posted:

Welcome to D:3. :pwn:

Robin throws and Ijyb's angry,
Welcome to D:3!
Boy, ain't dungeons fascinatin'
When you need XP!

Oh, it's a fine life...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Can Robin throw Ijyb?

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Is there a good place to look for bits to add to my rc file? I haven't been able to find anything on the wiki or the site.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

El Cubo posted:

What's a good minimum stat value to protect from stat zero?

If you plan on fighting non-plain mummies, you need at least 8 in each stat (without sustain abilities) to avoid going to zero in a single turn from death curses. Otherwise, you only really need to worry about keeping Int at/above 6 (from divination miscast effects that are used by orange crystal statues/some channeling sources); this is probably already accomplished at XL 1 unless you are a Ghoul or a Berserker (or both!).

Don't worry too much about it though; you don't die by hitting stat zero. Without item destruction, you should have plenty of restore abilities on hand if things get really bad.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Aston posted:

Is there a good place to look for bits to add to my rc file? I haven't been able to find anything on the wiki or the site.
Manual: http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=blob;f=crawl-ref/docs/options_guide.txt;

Examples: http://crawl.develz.org/configs/trunk/MarvinPA.rc | http://dobrazupa.org/rcfiles/crawl-git/elliptic.rc

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

On the consumable note, how do you guys handle IDing the stack of potions/scrolls that you get?
My heuristics is as follows:
Read a couple of my biggest stack of scrolls which will usually turn out identify.

Depending on how many ID scrolls I have, either I quaff-ID a couple of big stacks of potions until I get Curing, Heal Wounds and 1 relevant buff potion (e.g Might for melee). Then Scroll ID potions until the two Mutation related potions are identified.

If I have a huge pile of ID scrolls I usually just scroll ID all of them, MAYBE spend 1 on a tier 2 attack wand (or Haste/HW wand if lucky) if I have any.

As for scrolls, I usually read-ID them liberally - a lot of them seem more niche than potions so I don't feel the hurry for say, identifying Holy Word until I hit Crypt.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

LogicNinja posted:

Robin throws and Ijyb's angry,
Welcome to D:3!
Boy, ain't dungeons fascinatin'
When you need XP!

Oh, it's a fine life...

:golfclap:

This run is cursed, I just fell down a shaft 3 levels from D:6->9.

Aston posted:

The following will force a more message on every skill level up, useful if you want a reminder to stop leveling at X.
code:
force_more_message += Your \S* skill increases to level \d*!

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 27, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Oh my god XP-charged evocables stack in inventory now. That takes a huuuuuuuuuge strain off my inventory issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Thanks for this. I couldn't see what I was after, which was for (edible) corpses to be butchered automatically during auto-explore, is this possible?

• Locked thread