Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

HappyKitty posted:

Gandalf played by Ricky Gervais calls up Bilbo periodically, all "Bilbo, you bald Shire twat! Why the gently caress are you lounging about the Elf-King's halls? Go stuff yourself in the god-drat barrel we arranged for you!"

Movie of the year to be sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

HappyKitty posted:

Gandalf played by Ricky Gervais calls up Bilbo periodically, all "Bilbo, you bald Shire twat! Why the gently caress are you lounging about the Elf-King's halls? Go stuff yourself in the god-drat barrel we arranged for you!"

http://youtu.be/bg8NS6s0fkw

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Greed is eternal posted:

gollum's not aligned with Sauron

gollum has abandoned his unalligned status with NATO

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Leggo my Eggolas.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Real talk: To my shame, I saw the LOTR movies before I read the book (which is fantastic) and I never really got the danger or menace of the ring in the movies. The closest I came to "getting it" was when Boromir went temporarily insane. But otherwise, it was a ring that made you invisible and corrupted you - big deal.

The book makes it much clearer how dangerous it is.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rad Gravity posted:

Dragons, like all other things, have become much shittier in these latter days, and are thus unsuited for advanced metallurgy

getting reeeeaaal sick of this trope in fantasy. why cant poo poo be better than it ever was. dark age bullshits just that. bullshit

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the only thing worse than mordor is gay elf mordor

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

redshirt posted:

The book makes it much clearer how dangerous it is.

No it loving doesn't.

"It's a ring that makes you invisible and corrupts you, also it exerts power over the other rings in some nebulous way". Big fuckin' whoop. Now let's all sit around and sing songs every twenty pages!

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
Well that and it lets you impose your will on others, particularly orcs and such I think, so you get to have massive armies and set yourself up as the new dark lord. Or if you're a hobbit you get to make massive gardens and be the lord of pipeweed.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Rad Gravity posted:

Well that and it lets you impose your will on others, particularly orcs and such I think, so you get to have massive armies and set yourself up as the new dark lord. Or if you're a hobbit you get to make massive gardens and be the lord of pipeweed.

It's pretty easy to handle a haunted ring that tempts you with power when power seems like a distraction from your true love, weed and eating.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ok I thought it was dumb at first but the more I read about "Bilbo and Thorin go to (Saruman the) White's Castle" the funnier it seems.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

dog buttz posted:

It's pretty easy to handle a haunted ring that tempts you with power when power seems like a distraction from your true love, weed and eating.

In the movies it seemed like it was the shiny property of the ring that got to them. They really drive that point home. It's shiny , we get it. Peter Jackson won an Academy Award for that.

naem
May 29, 2011

I'm sad the movies are over :(

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
The last hobbit movie gave me a real trauma and compulsion to kill orcs that is affecting my personal & professional life

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
OP missed the part where Frodo offered the ring to Galadriel (i.e. a super-elf) and she did a quick synopsis of what would happen (elven North Korea)

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
She already had a ring

e: i'm really infuratied by the title

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

she didnt have the one ring to rule them all.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
she's already undead... this is why u cant give elves this stuff

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

i would like to have given her my baby batter iykwim.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

opus111 posted:

i would like to have given her my baby batter iykwim.

would be enslaved forever in her dark kingdom

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 27, 2014

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
IT seems like you have to know what you are doing, or at least already have some serious magical power to actually put the power in the ring to use.

Everyone else just played with it and turned invis/realmwalked before getting themselves killed or hiding out for hundreds of years masturbating with it.

I'm guessing if Sarumon or the Galadriel had it they would actually be able to control fuckers with it. Or cast Ultima. Or something.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
I wish had the ring

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Mad Archivist posted:

would be enslaved forever in her dark kingdom

she wore my dick,, then she made that face

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
then she turned invisible, snuck right out

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
im lonely

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

kiss me

naem
May 29, 2011

OP missed the part where Frodo offered the ring to Galadriel (i.e. a super-elf) and she did a quick synopsis of what would happen (elven North Korea)

FFWD to 3:00 to see galadrials lady boner

http://youtu.be/wZautQ0yhm4

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

what the poo poo do these super powerful beings do all day, hayer just loving lazy as gently caress and are stupid as poo poo. like, use your magic productively you dumb fucks. gandalf uses his magic to get hosed up and honestly thats cool, thats a cool thing to do

why doesn't galadriel or saruman or whatever, like, use their explosive magic to help mine minerals for poor people or something.

and if the elves are so smart why didn't they invent the iPhone huh instead of those faggy bows and arrows. like, use a gun, idiot. if the Manbeast developed firearms the rest of the world would be hosed. or, like, airplanes with guns on them? hosed.

honestly the Age of Man is gonna be the best because you know we're gonna genocide the poo poo out of the ugly ones, and gently caress the poo poo out of the pretty ones (elfs).

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

what the poo poo do these super powerful beings do all day, hayer just loving lazy as gently caress and are stupid as poo poo. like, use your magic productively you dumb fucks. gandalf uses his magic to get hosed up and honestly thats cool, thats a cool thing to do

why doesn't galadriel or saruman or whatever, like, use their explosive magic to help mine minerals for poor people or something.

and if the elves are so smart why didn't they invent the iPhone huh instead of those faggy bows and arrows. like, use a gun, idiot. if the Manbeast developed firearms the rest of the world would be hosed. or, like, airplanes with guns on them? hosed.

honestly the Age of Man is gonna be the best because you know we're gonna genocide the poo poo out of the ugly ones, and gently caress the poo poo out of the pretty ones (elfs).

o/////////////////////////////k.............. :stare:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

heh..... I don't think you ""get"" John Ronald Reuel Tolkien's epic masterwork, my friend :smug:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

heh..... I don't think you ""get"" John Ronald Reuel Tolkien's epic masterwork, my friend :smug:

yeah and like, okay, why do elves even have their own dumb language if they speak english to each other when there are only elvish-speakers around anyways. thats like a spanish-speaking family in mexico city, mexico speaking swedish over dinner

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

and also, like, okay, are elves not loving humans? like, humans idolize the poo poo out of them, so why doesn't some fine-rear end elf sneak on in and woo some fine-rear end human with its 1000-year-old, perfected art of seduction. If they live forever, surely they got good at banging and seducing right, so why are the elves sitting around eating loving vegan black beans out of lettuce cups listening to harps instead of getting into some really depraved sexual poo poo

imagine you had to live forever, and you were looking to entertain yourself. would you listen to another stupid loving sonnet about some dude falling in love or some dude killing/being killed or would you pop down to the slut shack and pick up some PYT.

and also if you're an elf and you're married like you have got to be bored of that girl. what if an elf marries an ugly elf, like, that loving sucks because its not even going to change forever. that ugly elf is gonna be an ugly elf forever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

and elfish soldiers are retarded. if you're an immortal (at least from death by natural causes) and you're going to fight a much more disposable army with your precious soldiers, maybe don't fight them in a high-casualty way like with swords????

elfs have books and can make machines, why not make some loving war machines which are way more disposable than your immortalish people. the orcs are way dumber and even they figured out a way to bring a catapult to a sword fight across the world.

elfs are all assuredly going to fight the orcs in, lets say, the next 100 years. they're going to fight orc infantry. they are immortal. why don't they take a couple weekends every year and learn to bring 500+ arrows to a fight, draw super fast and with great aim, and kill 500+ orcs each before they start swinging swords (where they lose, like 90% of the time because they're retarded.

and also, battle of helms deep. the orcs are charging in from a chokepoint and are mired down in a watery/swampish area. just shoot arrows at them, don't charge at them like a retard.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

and also, like, okay, are elves not loving humans? like, humans idolize the poo poo out of them, so why doesn't some fine-rear end elf sneak on in and woo some fine-rear end human with its 1000-year-old, perfected art of seduction. If they live forever, surely they got good at banging and seducing right, so why are the elves sitting around eating loving vegan black beans out of lettuce cups listening to harps instead of getting into some really depraved sexual poo poo

imagine you had to live forever, and you were looking to entertain yourself. would you listen to another stupid loving sonnet about some dude falling in love or some dude killing/being killed or would you pop down to the slut shack and pick up some PYT.

and also if you're an elf and you're married like you have got to be bored of that girl. what if an elf marries an ugly elf, like, that loving sucks because its not even going to change forever. that ugly elf is gonna be an ugly elf forever.

this is basically the backstory of the Ayleid Empire from the Elder Scrolls. I recommend you play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to find out more

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

this is basically the backstory of the Ayleid Empire from the Elder Scrolls. I recommend you play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to find out more

ayleid more like ayyy laid, am i right

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I see the Ring like an F-35. You need some skills to really control it. This isn't Battlefield Earth

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Decebal posted:

I see the Ring like an F-35. You need some skills to really control it. This isn't Battlefield Earth

The Ring crashes and stops working whenever it gets cold/hot/goes outside?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

gold is a very gaudy colour for jewelry sauron should have chosen a silvery metal

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Decebal posted:

<slips on Ring>

<Ring explodes into flame for no reason>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Decebal posted:

I think the point with the ring was that you *couldn't* destroy it very easily

• Locked thread