Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rated PG-34 posted:

But not the actual Lollipop OS.

Is it possible to install Popcorn Time on Nexus Player?

You mean not the phone version? 5.0 is lollipop on the nexus player and anything with 5.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You mean not the phone version? 5.0 is lollipop on the nexus player and anything with 5.0

http://liliputing.com/2014/12/android-5-0-lollipop-ported-nexus-player.html

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just wanted to point out that Big Web Quiz and Scrabble Blitz were big hits at my family get together for xmas, especially among the ones who are giant nerds and knew almost exactly all the measurement ones (Wtf). Wish there were more games for Chromecast. I'd like to somehow see Cards Against Humanity ported; that'd be hilarious.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

teagone posted:

Just wanted to point out that Big Web Quiz and Scrabble Blitz were big hits at my family get together for xmas, especially among the ones who are giant nerds and knew almost exactly all the measurement ones (Wtf). Wish there were more games for Chromecast. I'd like to somehow see Cards Against Humanity ported; that'd be hilarious.

There is!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh whaddya know, haha. No iOS version though. My family has a mix of Android and iOS devices.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah we had fun with Big Web Quiz too, it's pretty great. I hope they keep working on it and broaden the questions a bit, maybe make them more regional. It could be a killer app for the platform if they do it right!

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

teagone posted:

Oh whaddya know, haha. No iOS version though. My family has a mix of Android and iOS devices.

Cardcast is iOS and Android.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I'm having difficulty setting up the Chomecast to WiFi supplied by OS X Internet Sharing (at least until my router arrives at my new apartment), I had to go through the setup process 4 times before it would just crap out, eventually I did have it connect to the WiFi, but nothing can see the Chromecast and it doesn't seem to stay connected for very long, maybe 3-4 minutes after rebooting.

This Chromecast has been rock solid for me since I got it over a year ago, though I've only used it on one WiFi network. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I don't see any options for Client Isolation in the settings page, so I don't know if that is mucking things up a bit.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Prize Loser posted:

Not to mention much better than DYF

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Prize Loser posted:

Oh poo poo, this is perfect.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

teagone posted:

Oh poo poo, this is perfect.

Oh man this is awesome. I had a bunch of fun with BWQ with family over Christmas as well but this is going in the rotation now.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Well, my chromecast works just fine with my router. I guess it just has problems with OS X's internet sharing.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Is the Nexus Players Chomecast ability buggy? I've read some reports of that but want some more data points.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
VERY. Some apps I have that support Chromecast can't see the NP. Chrome on my desktop can't see it. An app I use that can see it can't cast anything to it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

teagone posted:

I was planning to play some of these with the Chromecast, but then the Jackbox party pack came out for the Fire Stick and that trumped it. On the other hand, that game costs money. It was a big hit at a New Year's party though.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q0yZomXuSw

quote:

And today, we're announcing Google Cast for audio, which embeds the same technology behind Chromecast into speakers, sound bars, and A/V receivers. Just like Chromecast, simply tap the cast button in your favorite music or radio app on Android, iOS, or the web, and select a Google Cast Ready speaker to get the party started.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/01/introducing-google-cast-for-audio.html

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

5436 posted:

Is the Nexus Players Chomecast ability buggy? I've read some reports of that but want some more data points.

Mine comes and goes. I can sit there and plow through 10 episodes of something then all of a sudden the stream stops and when I hit the cast button on whatever app the NP isn't listed. Comes back after a few seconds but holy poo poo is it annoying. I've been tempted to just pick up a Chromecast in the mean time.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Weird question - has anyone ever gotten the "Video not available for casting" message in the Photos app? I tried to play one back last night and saw that error - it said to enable auto-backup, which I've always had on. It's a video that I took on my phone, and I can confirm it's in Google Drive because I can play it within Google+/Drive on my laptop. I tried other videos in Photos (all of which are backed up online) and every one gave the same error. I then started going through pictures and only some of them can be cast, despite all the folders on my phone (like downloads, screenshots) being backed up online.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

That's good to hear. I've been assembling parts to do this with actual chromecasts, so I might need to wait a bit.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I was just about to buy some bluetooth speakers for my apartment, maybe I'll wait until the spring.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Mine comes and goes. I can sit there and plow through 10 episodes of something then all of a sudden the stream stops and when I hit the cast button on whatever app the NP isn't listed. Comes back after a few seconds but holy poo poo is it annoying. I've been tempted to just pick up a Chromecast in the mean time.

I had the opposite experience. The Chromecast often is not listed as an option. The nexus player disappears too but it feels less than the chromecast.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Looks like a lot of TVs are coming with Android TV standard and Razer, Hauwei are making set top boxes. Hopefully this will push development to making Nexus Player/AndroidTV not as lovely.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Super Dude posted:

I was just about to buy some bluetooth speakers for my apartment, maybe I'll wait until the spring.

I wouldn't wait, having a bluetooth speaker is amazing. You can pair anything with it so its not like you gain anything with Cast besides that its over wifi. Most of the times you'll just pair your phone or computer.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Got a Nexus Player and a controller today. I'm liking Android TV quite a bit: the interface is nice and smooth, and most of the apps work well. I'm not a big fan of Google Play Music showing just a static artist picture or nothing when playing a song though (Unless I'm missing the visualizers somewhere). It's hard to listen to Bad Religion when you look back at your TV and their just staring out, it's weird. I also wish it had multiple account support, but hopefully that will come at some point, seeing that the phone store supports it.

And thanks to the web store loophole where you can send most apps (including all the emulators I wanted) directly over to the box, I can finally do this.

It actually works well. I would not try to post from it, but still, I think it's cool.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

I've got some of the lg speakers already, this will make them much more useful, as I can currently only use google music if I revert to Bluetooth.

The casting thing doesn't work yet, but I've got my fingers crossed someone figures out how to hack get it working before spring....I don't know if it will be down to a full speaker firmware update, the lg app update or just the google music app?

e:vvvv I'm not sure what you're saying? The speakers are listed to be compatible, but the service isn't live yet from what I can tell. Once it goes live an update will be needed in either the google music app, the lg music app or an update to the speakers themselves (or all of the above)

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 14, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

MeKeV posted:

I've got some of the lg speakers already, this will make them much more useful, as I can currently only use google music if I revert to Bluetooth.

The casting thing doesn't work yet, but I've got my fingers crossed someone figures out how to hack get it working before spring....I don't know if it will be down to a full speaker firmware update, the lg app update or just the google music app?

Audio casting works basically the same way as videocasting, it completely off loads the streaming to a local client in the speaker, a firmware update is highly unlikely, it likely needs significantly more horsepower than even Airplay.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
One thing that annoys me about chromecast is how much it disconnects all the time. I'm thinking it's more the fault of my tablet though. Like I'll be watching something with chromecast and maybe 5 minutes later I might want to pause but the controls have disconnected. So I have to go back into the app and reconnect to pause it again. This can happen literally right after I leave the app I can't control it anymore, however that's not always.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JoeMB posted:

One thing that annoys me about chromecast is how much it disconnects all the time. I'm thinking it's more the fault of my tablet though. Like I'll be watching something with chromecast and maybe 5 minutes later I might want to pause but the controls have disconnected. So I have to go back into the app and reconnect to pause it again. This can happen literally right after I leave the app I can't control it anymore, however that's not always.
If you're running Lollipop this is caused by the current memory leak / task recycling issues, should be fixed in 5.0.3 or whatever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

If you're running Lollipop this is caused by the current memory leak / task recycling issues, should be fixed in 5.0.3 or whatever.

I've noticed much better performance since the Google Now update a couple days ago.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

JoeMB posted:

I'm on 4.3 and that kept happening to me frequently last night, even though I was streaming just fine with no issues from my plex server to the chromecast.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, your controls disappearing are because your device is kicking them out of memory. Nothing really to do with the chromecast itself.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Those of you with Fire TVs, has the DTS audio bug been fixed when direct playing media in Plex? I remember reading it wouldn't properly output DTS or Dolby Digital audio or something.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Got a Nexus Player today. Shows a lot of promise, but there are definitely wrinkles to iron out. After installing the HDHomerun View app for my HDTC-2US, Android TV actually picked it up as a TV source and gave me a little TV menu and EPG, which was nice, but this thing seems way less forgiving in terms of framerate and picture quality than my tablet or phone. I've ordered the necessary adapters to hook it up to the network with a wire, hopefully that'll clear that up. Not being a PlexPass subscriber I had to sideload the app and that version seems to do okay, though it doesn't dependably resume after ffwd and rewind. And again, network issues that affect playback pop up on big files that don't happen on my devices or Chromecasts. With some optimization and, ideally for TV tuning, MPEG2 hardware decoding support, it could be my One True Box. If I wasn't a Google Music All-Access subscriber I'd be annoyed by Google Play always being up in my face, but that's a fact of life nowadays.

As it is, it does a fine job of replacing a Chromecast and has some fun bits to play with while the interesting new poo poo in it gets tweaked and improved.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Do you have a good router? I noticed huge improvement upgrading to a good router (RT-N66U) compared to my ISPs modem/router combo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

wolfbiker posted:

Do you have a good router? I noticed huge improvement upgrading to a good router (RT-N66U) compared to my ISPs modem/router combo.

I have a Cisco/Linksys WRT320N that's about twelve feet away from my Nexus Player's test site. The picture degredation on the hardware transcoded (in the HDHomerun) picture on live TV makes me think there's something odd happening software-wise. I'm hoping someone hacks proper MPEG2 support into the thing and a wired network connection makes live TV work basically perfectly. I am trouble-free on my Chromecasts with Plex set to 12 mbps 1080p, and a few hours of playing with it later the Nexus Player is hanging in there similarly. I have the thing hooked up to my third monitor, and between the expanded Plex DirectPlay capabilities due to it being an x86 box and Netflix/Hulu being totally independent of my desktop PC, it's a nice side-screen device to have when I'm playing PC games.

This poo poo wouldn't be any fun if it all just worked on the first try.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 25, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I really just wish the nexus player had ethernet. Does it do 24p playback?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

kri kri posted:

I really just wish the nexus player had ethernet. Does it do 24p playback?

That really bugs me as well - that's one thing the Amazon Gary BuseyTV has on it - but at least it seems to work with a USB OTG adapter and a USB2.0 ethernet dongle. I went ahead and spent the $22 on the two of them on Amazon, should be here Wednesday. I have a house full of 60hz displays, so I can't be much help on the 24p question.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Android doesn't allow (yet?) switching of refresh rates, so XBMC can't go back and forth changing refresh rates. So the Nexus Player (and Fire TV/Stick and all other Android boxes) might one day support it when Android does, but right now, no, it doesn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nexus Player is now available from Best Buy in store.

I guess the real question right now is, (outside of gaming) what does it offer that Chromecast does not. I really want to pick one up as an impulse purchase, but I'm having trouble justifying it over the Chromecast. Having a native UI would be nice I suppose, but that's only for a handful of apps. Has really any progress been made getting more Android TV apps to the platform? HBO Go, Max Go, and Showtime Anytime, and Vudu would be top contenders. I know I can just cast to it like I would a chromecast, but the whole idea of having a 'thicker' client is to provide an on screen UI that can be navigated with a remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Nothing ground breaking and weirdly enough the casting on the NP is a little more gimped than a Chromecast. What it basically boils down to is it's a Chromecast with apps. After having mine for a few months that's all it really gets used for. About the only habit I changed was that I tend to use the native Netflix app on the NP instead of casting Netflix from my phone because it supports autoplay on episodes.

The gaming aspect is actually kinda fun but obviously you need to plop down the cash for a controller.

• Locked thread