Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

gently caress. IM BAD AT NAMES

and I'm not going to dig into why you're wrong, but if we're talking about the same episode in your own don't-mention-future-episodes-and-spoilery-poo poo-you-halfwit thread, you are very very wrong on its cinematographic variety, and purposefully looking at the RTD era in a negative light because you saw a blip of a different showrunner's preferred directing style compared to the style the previous director's style, and I can't explain why at the moment without digging into four seasons of doctor who that you haven't started yet

I'm the one who's already seen all the episodes. You are terrible at this. Go to a dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Merry Christmas thread I spent hours writing that fuckin review for y'all

Also that review is dedicated to Annakie; marthabros for life doggs

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fungah! posted:

He said it was shot a lot better, which, yeah. Say what you will about Moffat's run (i'm not saying a loving word yet), they finally got some cinematographers worth a poo poo

Yeah, the change feels HUGE. I don't know if this series was the jump to HD but it sure felt like one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, the change feels HUGE. I don't know if this series was the jump to HD but it sure felt like one.

The official HD jump was Planet of the Dead. Maybe not the most auspicious start.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

It is pretty telling that I couldn't get the gently caress into Doctor Who until I saw Series 5 and finally felt like the camerawork in all its various forms was helping to enhance the show rather than simply grind out the necessary shots for the editing room.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really made an rear end out of myself, sorry :v: I really disagree about the camera-angles and direction that was mentioned, though I'll take it to the appropriate thread.

I do agree about Series three, though. Martha was the biggest mistake RTD made during his time as showrunner, and I wish others would have had more oversight with regards to his planned development for both the Doctor and Martha. Series 3 deserved so much better than just "the Rose breakup season," especially since it was ultimately a nonsensical creation of the Doctor. Rose disappears to some place the Doctor thought was impossible to reach, then the Doctor spends more time moping over impossibilities instead of doing what he has always done: tried and tried again to explore new horizons, no matter the odds or time left in the current episode. The Doctor doesn't just have a breakup season, he projects the lofty expectations he has for his ex-dimensional-traveling-girlfriend onto a traveling companion because he can't live up to those expectations himself, despite being a 1000 year old interdimensional being that should have the common sense Rose developed and maturity to treat a person like a person instead of as a scarecrow filling in for RTD's pixie/cockney dream girl.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

Say a prayer for the two of us, and hope we can master the stupidities that lie ahead.

oh gently caress you buddy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You all know my opinion on the Moffat seasons yet I still agree the cinematography is far far better than it was during RTD's run. It's not the kind of show that'll ever have truly stellar direction though.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, we're talking about the difference between directing and cinematography. Complain about two shots all you want, but the quality of the show's look has been improving steadily since the revival, with big jumps every time the budget increases.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
The budget was slashed going into series 5...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Toxxupation posted:

Martha deserved better than this, folks. Martha deserved better.

QFT. I loved Martha so much and to see her reduced to not-Rose was disheartening.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Toxxupation posted:

Also that review is dedicated to Annakie; marthabros for life doggs

:love:

Every word of your series review was spot-on.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
That is a pretty drat accurate summary of season 3, Toxx. good poo poo. :golfclap:

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I don't think I've ever posted in this thread, but I've been lurking from the beginning and just wanted to say that it's been entertaining as heck. I'm a pretty casual fan of Doctor Who, and I've found myself agreeing with most of the reviews posted so far. It's been equally enlightening, and sometimes surprising, to find out what the consensus has been on so many other aspects of the show from the superfans.

I decided to submit some guesses for Season 5. I've been really looking forward to these ones. Season 5 is where I started watching this show and is pretty much the baseline I judge everything else by for better or worse.

I never felt compelled to watch any of the episodes that have already been reviewed while this thread's been ongoing, but I think I'm going to have start rewatching as the reviews get posted from now on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, RTD Who seems to be borrowing very heavily from the corporation's soap department. It has that sped up video feel that makes the sets look like, uh, TV sets. Americans have a hard time accepting drama with that kind of production, because to us it looks either like a soap or the kind of stage theatre production that sometimes is aired by our own rarely watched, gloriously underfunded public broadcaster. Smooth, fluid, unfiltered video is fine for sport and reality competition; but we expect the occasionally grainy haze of film to tell us that we're watching fiction and it's time to get immersed.

Somebody at the BBC must have realized that if they can trick NBC into buying Merlin by meeting the American standards of video production, they could probably crack the market with more properties.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Craptacular! posted:

Somebody at the BBC must have realized that if they can trick NBC into buying Merlin by meeting the American standards of video production, they could probably crack the market with more properties.

gently caress me, that made it out of the country?

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.
Wanted to chime in as another lurker who's fallen in love with Occ's incredible journey. Just signed up for the season 5 guess pool too! It was especially great to read the reviews, as Occ's reactions so often mirrored my own. I too, had to be practically forced to watch it by friends, but finally realized how very good the show could be when it WAS good.

Going into Season 5 I had just started paying more attention to the writers, and was super excited to realize that not only had all my favorite episodes been written by the SAME GUY, but that that guy had now taken over as the showrunner. Looking forward to Occ learning weather or not I was right to be so excited!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sleep of Bronze posted:

It's on French television as well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sleep of Bronze posted:

30 Rock, season two or three.
Jack Donaghy: "These are exciting times for NBC. Not Friends, Seinfeld, or ER exciting. More like 3D episodes of Merlin exciting."

I still kind of want to see it after seeing that guy play an emo kid in Midnight.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Toxxupation posted:

Martha deserved better than this, folks. Martha deserved better.

One thing I will say about your reviews: you made me look at Martha again as we went through Season Three. See, I hated Martha. Not, like, virulent hate, but she was annoying and unpleasant and I was glad when she left. I actually preferred Rose. (That's Season Two Rose, mind.) But looking back on it now, with more perspective, I think you're right; she was an interesting character that the production team just didn't know how to deal with properly. I think that was, in fact, the major source of my annoyance with her; it felt like the character's background and theoretical off-screen abilities just never showed up enough in front of the camera.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think when I wrote up my reviews of season 3, every single one included some kind of variation on,"...the following shouldn't be seen as a criticism of Freema Agyeman, who does the very best she can with the material she gets..."

Season 3 was so disappointing for a lot of reasons, but Martha was probably the major one and once again it wasn't the actor's fault. What's worse is that she gets to come back in season 4 and is just as poorly handled.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
Hi! I don't think I've posted before, but I've been reading through this whole thread in the last couple of months, and it's just The Best. So fascinating to watch someone go through all the same feelings about this series that we did when it was first on.

To prepare for the oncoming Smith/Moffatt reviews, I watched through series 5 over the past few weeks.

No spoilers, obviously, but that's sort of the point: unless it breaks any personal rules (or unless I'm breaking thread rules that I've since forgotten by mentioning this at all - sorry if so!), I'd strongly suggest avoiding the "NEXT WEEK" previews at the ends of the episodes this series, including the one at the end of the first episode.

New Who has always done this to an extent, but I found that nearly every surprise, reveal or plot twist was completely spoiled in the preview montages, down to quite a minute level. There are even cool lines of dialogue whose setup and payoff are in the previews, which then turn out to be the big dialogue moments of the actual episodes, and so they come off as flat or bad when they might've been a really good moment.

In particular, here's a spoiler-tagged thing about the preview at the end of episode one, but which I don't think counts as a spoiler and which I think Toxx should be warned about, so someone else be the judge: Episode one has a preview for the entire season, and it basically lays waste to all the upcoming surprises in one fell swoop.

I found it less of a burden at the time, but that's mainly because the BBC was making sure everything was laid-out ahead of time, using the cover of the Radio Times, news reports, etc etc. To be even vaguely interested in Doctor Who was to be spoiled on everything that was going to happen in it. But for someone who has the opportunity to watch through the series blind like this, I think skipping those previews would be far preferable. What do you lot reckon? Am I missing something and foreknowledge of that stuff actually improves the viewing somehow?

Buml0r fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 28, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Buml0r posted:

I found it less of a burden at the time, but that's mainly because the BBC was making sure everything was laid-out ahead of time, using the cover of the Radio Times, news reports, etc etc. To be even vaguely interested in Doctor Who was to be spoiled on everything that was going to happen in it. But for someone who has the opportunity to watch through the series blind like this, I think skipping those previews would be far preferable. What do you lot reckon? Am I missing something and foreknowledge of that stuff actually improves the viewing somehow?

I think Doctor Who has the worst teasers of any show I've ever seen. You'd watch an episode and something would clearly be meant to surprise you, but it never could because it was always shown at the end of the last episode. The first instance where it's really obvious is the first season episode Dalek. The appearance of the Dalek is supposed to be as much a surprise to the audience as it is to the characters, but they showed it in the previous week's teaser and called the episode Dalek! It's like the people who put together the teasers and other marketing material hated the writers and wanted to ruin everything for them.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Tiggum posted:

I think Doctor Who has the worst teasers of any show I've ever seen. You'd watch an episode and something would clearly be meant to surprise you, but it never could because it was always shown at the end of the last episode. The first instance where it's really obvious is the first season episode Dalek. The appearance of the Dalek is supposed to be as much a surprise to the audience as it is to the characters, but they showed it in the previous week's teaser and called the episode Dalek! It's like the people who put together the teasers and other marketing material hated the writers and wanted to ruin everything for them.

You can't spoil a good story, though. Like, I'm fairly certain the draw of Dalek is not that there's a museum and it turns out there's an alien in it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, this is how the classic series handled Daleks as well. You'd fire up an episode and see it was called "____ Of The Daleks: Episode One" and then 25 minutes later the cliffhanger is SURPRISE, THERE'S A DALEK!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Dalek Invasion of Earth didn't.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The twist had still already been revealed on the cover of the Radio Times.

This discussion came up back when the review for Dalek was first posted, by the way:

cargohills posted:

That problem isn't exclusive to the last few years. The BBC has always been terrible.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 28, 2014

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
This entire post is literally what you aren't supposed to be doing in this thread.

Everyone else: Subject change, please. --Annakie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tiggum posted:

Star Trek had equally bad teasers, both the TV series and the films. eg. For Star Trek III, the trailer shows the Enterprise being destroyed - which is essentially the last thing that happens in the film.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lt. Danger posted:

You can't spoil a good story, though. Like, I'm fairly certain the draw of Dalek is not that there's a museum and it turns out there's an alien in it.

No, but a plot twist is supposed to surprise you, and if you get spoiled beforehand there's an emotion the show was trying to evoke that you won't feel. Obviously that's not the case for Dalek, but if you hadn't watched Army Of Ghosts and someone said "there's a bunch of Daleks in the orb" then you wouldn't feel that sense of escalating stakes when the Daleks come out of the orb.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This preview spoiling things chat is making me remember the goons who would freak out at the start of every episode of Battlestar Galactica and I'm laughing irl.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

This preview spoiling things chat is making me remember the goons who would freak out at the start of every episode of Battlestar Galactica and I'm laughing irl.

I generally prefer watching a show when I haven't had any spoilers, but cave in for most shows anyway (although I'm considering giving up the Doctor Who spoiler thread for the next series).

BSG though was one show where I totally avoided spoilers, to the point of being one of the people who would look away during the opening credits montage for that episode.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

2house2fly posted:

No, but a plot twist is supposed to surprise you, and if you get spoiled beforehand there's an emotion the show was trying to evoke that you won't feel. Obviously that's not the case for Dalek, but if you hadn't watched Army Of Ghosts and someone said "there's a bunch of Daleks in the orb" then you wouldn't feel that sense of escalating stakes when the Daleks come out of the orb.

Obvious shitposting response: Army of Ghosts is not a good story :smug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I anticipated that response but couldn't think of a good counter for it because hell, it's correct.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Toxx, did I understand from your earlier post that you saw this year's Christmas ep and enjoyed it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Toxx, did I understand from your earlier post that you saw this year's Christmas ep and enjoyed it?

Wrong person, again. I saw it and liked it a lot! He glimpsed it on his family's TV and skedaddled before spoilers could contaminate his virgin, under-sized brain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oxxidation posted:

Wrong person, again. ... his under-sized brain.
You confused *my* under-sized brain by switching who had the "T" at the beginning. .

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Who spoiled every Dalek episode in the classic series by naming them "[Serial] of the Daleks," and it's really funny, because there are a ton of cliffhangers where the Doctor finally realizes what's going on, when they burst in and he makes a face and they start yelling "EXTERMINATE!"

I would say that it's some kind of Nation Estate requirement, but obviously the Dalek v. Cybermen finale for New Who season 2 managed (as has been mentioned) not to do it, so the title thing is probably about drumming up excitement for the episodes in spite of spoiling them. Doctor Who really wanted its fans to know when those classic villains were returning back in the old days.

I'm surprised Boomtown wasn't called "Revenge of the Vengeful Slitheen of Death."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bicyclops posted:

Doctor Who spoiled every Dalek episode in the classic series

Tradition is not a good reason to continue doing something bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tiggum posted:

Tradition is not a good reason to continue doing something bad.

why do they keep making doctor who then

• Locked thread