Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen

Informed Consent posted:

Cool, when can we buy them? I want the spoors to sit on splintered wooden bar stools while I relax in my concierge chair

i'll sit down on it no matter what you call it :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
Now i feel dirty...inside

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Bootcha posted:

If CR had gone to the publisher deal, I probably would have been bought out plus the contracted max return. Hell, I might get a phone call from Ortwin at any time telling me "We don't need your filthy peasant tribute, take this and begone".

It was mostly an opportunity to play a small risk long game and learn something about one of my hobby's industry first hand. And partially an opportunity for "OMG SPACEZIMS R BAK".

Yeah, but then where would they get their Guy With A Truck from? You got 'em, Boots! You got 'em where you want 'em!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

AP posted:

$68,379,441

I keep thinking the UK office is distracting the LA office with stupid poo poo in order to keep them away from doing anything stupid to the game.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

OhDearGodNo posted:

I keep thinking the UK office is distracting the LA office with stupid poo poo in order to keep them away from doing anything stupid to the game.

You hit the nail right on the head. LA is busy working on TGNC mini reality show starring Sandi Gardiner right now...budget is 7 mil and should take 15 new hires to flesh out the permanent production crew.

...and most importantly, huge kickoff fete planned to be held at the Viper Room

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhDearGodNo posted:

If you think there isn't a subset of MMO players that will pay cash money for useless furniture, then let me assure you that they do exist.

When they start selling cosmetic / vanity upgrades for both the hanger and your avatars in the PU module you can be assured they'll make the investment back on internet chair futures.

It'll probably be a little like Voyager Direct is now actually - sure you can buy weapons for $ but its probably more cost effective to just buy a whole drat ship and use the weapons that come on that. In other words don't spend realbucks on internet chairs when you can just use a Revel & York hanger if you care about that sort of thing.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

DancingShade posted:

I bet anything "earned" in AC with AC funbucks is also temporary and decays over time, needing to be re-purchased. The APB model.

It's how I would do it.

Nah money won't decay that's bad PR. Everything you buy will be a rental (in the traditional 1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Month versions). That's accepted (Korean-MMO-)practice and gets much less bad PR.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

DatonKallandor posted:

Nah money won't decay that's bad PR. Everything you buy will be a rental (in the traditional 1 Day, 1 Week, 1 Month versions). That's accepted (Korean-MMO-)practice and gets much less bad PR.
At least it's not a subscription model. :v:

It still amazes me how people fall for this. "Okay so it's ten times more expensive than a flat out fee and also swamps the game with annoying grind & advertising for everyone, but at least i don't have to pay if I don't want to!" (yeah right)

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

OhDearGodNo posted:

hahaha gently caress this is so real

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Gerbil_Pen posted:

The mil spec skin has not been implemented yet... The super hornet upgrade adds the turret and second seat.

I thought the SUper Hornet Upgrade just added the behind the cockpit turret and the 2nd seat, not the canard turret

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Can anyone give short rundown of the different teams at CIG and what they're assigned to work on?

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Welmu posted:

Can anyone give short rundown of the different teams at CIG and what they're assigned to work on?

yeah one works and the other does nothing but laugh and snort cocaine

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Booblord Zagats posted:

I thought the SUper Hornet Upgrade just added the behind the cockpit turret and the 2nd seat, not the canard turret

Super hornets come with both turrets and heavier armor. Yes, there are armors implemented now- The ghost has armor that does nothing for damage reduction but cuts signatures in half. The super hornet has armor that makes it take 60-70% damage iirc. There's a few other armored ships too, generally in the 80% damage taken range.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Welmu posted:

Austin: The Original Studio that was supposed to be the flagship before CR realized you can't keep a failed actress happy outside of LA. Also, less access to literal piles of coke. Right now they seem to mostly work on trying to decipher the emails Chris sends them asking for tweaks to whatever moronic system he decided to employ after he realized he hadn't promised anything to furries/ERPers/Bronies/Autists/etc in 9 hours

LA: They make chairs and terrible youtubes in an effort to show living with crippling diabetes isn't the worst thing that could happen to you, it's having to host a show with someone who is because you married the wrong movie producer.

Foundry 42: Run by Chris' brother, this studio actually makes a video game and does a very good job.

The others just exist for money laundering afiak

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Special thanks to RescueFreak for the idea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AJ9d6A2Yk

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

zcrow posted:

Amazing :allears:

Although, not knowing the scene, I expected their heads to explode at some point

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

zcrow posted:

My hatred for them has no upper limit.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

quote:

poo poo in the gun store is hilariously priced

Stop trying to P2W in a game that isn't even loving out yet. :colbert:

Gwaihir posted:

Super hornets come with both turrets and heavier armor. Yes, there are armors implemented now- The ghost has armor that does nothing for damage reduction but cuts signatures in half. The super hornet has armor that makes it take 60-70% damage iirc. There's a few other armored ships too, generally in the 80% damage taken range.

The Super Hornet is currently a hilarious pwnmobile that can straight murder anything it can catch up to.

otoh, on account of them overbuffing damage in the latest patch coupled with the other signature stuff not being nuanced enough, anything can currently one-shot anything else with missiles. And now the aurora space peasants are rising up against their betters!

I expect we'll see the cutlass get it's turret and the base hornets get free canard turrets to compensate for the lost nose guns for the 1.1 patch some time in jan/feb.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Courthouse posted:

Stop trying to P2W in a game that isn't even loving out yet. :colbert:

Too late.

Now, if they make voyager direct purchases melt-able for some time, I'll be golden. Otherwise I'm stuck with some poo poo because I was curious and impatient.

No, I didn't buy any missiles.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booblord Zagats posted:

It adds everything. Second seat, bigger power plant, canard turret, and ball turret. Also better guns. And you get a pistol.

Welmu posted:

There are three CIG studios, plus contracted groups like Illfonic and Behavioral. Here's my understanding of what they do, based mostly on things like monthly report:

CIG Santa Monica
In addition to being the home of the God-Emperor Chris Roberts, Santa Monica is also the home of business operations. It's the most visible studio. Last year as part of a consolidation effort Chris wanted all of the community people under one roof, which is why Ben, James, and Will all work there. It's also heavily involved in Arena Commander as well as general production under Travis Day and Darian Vorlick. They also do ship development (for example the Mustang) as well as a great deal of art. Santa Monica and Manchester are closely intertwined as they take advantage of the disparity in time zones to hand off production between the two studios. I could be wrong but I believe Alex Mayberry, who is the Executive Producer and formally the guy who produced Diablo 3, is also based here.

CIG Manchester
"Foundry 42" is (I believe) the largest studio due to the significant tax benefits offered by developing in England. Erin Roberts, Chris's brother, runs the studio. In addition to being primarily responsible for Squadron 42, Manchester is extensively involved in ship development and coordinating with Santa Monica. The perception that Manchester is the studio that gets poo poo done is mostly due to their size and the visibility of the work they do. Nobody really notices when Mark Abent squashes a bug or Travis Day gets production rolling along, but everyone sees the awesome pictures of the Retaliator and the Gladiator in the hangar. The reality is that development is a heavily collaborative effort.

CIG Austin
Austin is under the iron thumb of Tony "No Remorse" Zurovec. Austin is responsible for the Persistent Universe as well as the infrastructure of the game; when the servers go tits up it's likely someone in Austin who gets to lose sleep over it. In spite of being the least visible studio (particularly since Eric Peterson left after Wingman's Hangar was moved to Santa Monica), Austin arguably has the most critical job from the perspective of getting the foundation of Star Citizen out the door. In contrast to Chris, Zurovec has been incredibly quiet about things. It's an interesting contrast between Erin, Tony, and Chris. By all accounts the three studios are working well together and the use of productivity software has allowed them to work together seamlessly.

Behavior Interactive
Based in Canada, BHVR is extensively involved in art and technology development for Planetside content. We haven't seen too much of them (outside of the hangars, obviously) but expect to see their visibility dramatically increase over the next year.

Illfonic
The formerly [REDACTED] studio is involved in the FPS, and has studios in both LA as well as Colorado. Their visibility should dramatically increase around March when the FPS module is expected to be released.

Turbulent
Also based in Canada, Turbulent is responsible for web operations. The RSI website, along with the organizational system and leaderboards, are all under their domain. I still haven't forgiven them for forcing Vanilla on the Brown Sea.

Moon Collider
Based in Scotland, Moon Collider developed the Kythera AI software that will handle the NPCs. Given the extensive nature of PvE content and plans for NPC interaction within SC, this is a huge undertaking.

zcrow posted:

Calling it now; if CIG is ever dumb enough to let people use voice comms to chat from ship to ship we're flooding the airwaves with that squeaking.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Broccoli Cat posted:

My hatred for them has no upper limit.

Oh but isn't it great...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sowQ6FiZ3ds

Comes with nice prices too
http://www.madefuryou.com/prices/

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 29, 2014

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

To be honest I would just get the Omega code, the Omega->Gamma downgrade for $0, and the $5 Gamma->Avenger upgrade and not apply anything. Maybe spend another $5 for the Avenger -> Delta in case you think that will turn out to be a not-lovely option. But I wouldn't apply any of them until we know more about what will suck and what won't.

Beer, any chance you could give me a step-by-step walkthrough for doing this? a) I'm not familiar with the upgrade/downgrade process (not applied any myself) and b) I have a terrible cold and it's really difficult to think straight.

I've just messaged Loneshade about the $20 'goon special' so hopefully I'll have an Omega code soon enough.

Bursk fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 29, 2014

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Ty and Zoomba at 1:03 have some interesting moves :psyduck:

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Tail 'pocket'

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What's up with those prices? It's an overall with some fake fur stuck to it. At least with fake spaceships there's pretty jpegs.

Ughhhh, wait, I think I'm seeing a pattern here.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Informed Consent posted:

Amazing :allears:

Although, not knowing the scene, I expected their heads to explode at some point

Go watch Event Horizon idiot

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk

Jethro_E7 posted:

THIS ^ - eh - bad habit, sorry. :)

The AMD codes were $50 when they launched due to demand, dropped to a low of $18, and I suspect are going to climb again when people figure out what they can do with them as a CCU. reddit/u/StarHangar (who is basically two old traders, Realypk and Loneshade) are doing a "goon special" for us for $20 for as long as they can, but with prices going up, not sure when that ends.

If you have any feedback on the CIG control scheme in 1.0, let's hear it. I gave CIG a list of stuff (http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php/topic/7939-help-make-the-best-controller-system-mapping-for-star-citizen/) the community came up with for .92 and they delivered a lot of the requested features in 1.0, but still have quite a way to go to make it anywhere near what a quality control scheme looks like (aiming for DCS type quality).

$20 'goon special' no longer exists (did anyone get one for $20?):

'I'm afraid our original patch sold out: Sadly a planned purchase of 80 pieces failed and what we got left, we paid more than that ourselves. What I can still do though, (Goon-only) is retain the original price of $30 +$1,58 for covering paypal transfer fees if that's ok with you?'

Is this still worth bothering with? It's quite the increase on the $20 price quoted just 5 days ago. I was mainly looking at doing it to get a cheap second character slot.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bursk posted:

$20 'goon special' no longer exists (did anyone get one for $20?):

'I'm afraid our original patch sold out: Sadly a planned purchase of 80 pieces failed and what we got left, we paid more than that ourselves. What I can still do though, (Goon-only) is retain the original price of $30 +$1,58 for covering paypal transfer fees if that's ok with you?'

Is this still worth bothering with? It's quite the increase on the $20 price quoted just 5 days ago. I was mainly looking at doing it to get a cheap second character slot.

If you're only doing it for the slot then best to wait. They will sell those individually later, and no way will it be $30. They literally just had $20 discount packs not long ago... But, I bet it'll be even cheaper than $20 when they do go on sale.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

No, I didn't buy any missiles.

Missiles aren't consumed. Buy a 10 pack of missiles and you indefinitely have 10 missiles to kit out your ships with. For now, anyway.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I... kinda want to buy the Itano Circus missile.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

BitBasher posted:

Missiles aren't consumed. Buy a 10 pack of missiles and you indefinitely have 10 missiles to kit out your ships with. For now, anyway.

For AC, sure... But what about the PU? People will literally be firing off dollar bills...

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Gerbil_Pen posted:

For AC, sure... But what about the PU? People will literally be firing off dollar bills...

No they won't, because we are told that those items will not be for sale for cash after the PU launches. You buy missiles using in game cash.

EDIT: In theory...

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Gerbil_Pen posted:

Nobody has any idea what PU economy will be like at all. It's all totally up in the air for now.

Either way you may be surprised to see just how willing some people will be to literally shoot money at other people. It used to happen in World of Tanks where you could buy "gold" ammo for your tanks with cash that had superior penetration to regular ammo.

Despite the fact that it could cost as much as $1 of ammo per single ~10 minute game, there were people who shot gold exclusively because it was superior to regular ammo and they weren't about to use "cheap" rounds. Nowdays you can buy the "gold" rounds with in game currency rather than just $$$ but it doesn't change the fact that there are people willing to literally shoot real money out of their virtual tank cannons.

SC may be the same setup, sure you CAN earn money in game - but you can also buy it straight from CIG - and buying it is going to be oh so much easier.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 29, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bursk posted:

Beer, any chance you could give me a step-by-step walkthrough for doing this? a) I'm not familiar with the upgrade/downgrade process (not applied any myself) and b) I have a terrible cold and it's really difficult to think straight.

I've just messaged Loneshade about the $20 'goon special' so hopefully I'll have an Omega code soon enough.

Step 1: Look on eBay for Never Settle Space cards. They used to be around $30 for the Gold, now it's $45. You can either buy the Gold or the Silver version (which is still $30). I would absolutely go with eBay over Reddit because the prices are already similar, you get more than one game, and most importantly you're protected from fraud by eBay's buyer protection program (because you're buying a physical item, the card). Most eBay folks will message the code directly if you don't want to wait.

Step 2: Follow the process here and enter the code to have the Omega added to your account.

Step 3: Buy the Mustang Omega to Gamma Swap for $0.

Step 4: Buy the Gamma to Avenger CCU for $5.

Step 5: When you want to change the hull, go to My Hangar and select the Omega to Gamma Swap and click on the Apply button. Do the same for the Gamma to Avenger CCU.

Step 6: If you want the Delta, buy the Avenger to Delta CCU for $5 and apply it as above.

My recommendation is to buy the swap and the two CCUs but not actually apply them. It's entirely possible that the Avenger will turn out to be far more awesome than the Delta, or there will be CCUs for the Avenger that won't be available for the Delta (like the Avenger variants). Applying an upgrade is a non-reversible process. The Delta CCU is only $5 and more importantly won't be available after January 5.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

BitBasher posted:

No they won't, because we are told that those items will not be for sale for cash after the PU launches. You buy missiles using in game cash.

EDIT: In theory...

Im sure you will be able to convert real money into Chris Roberts Fun Bux after the game launches.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

lamentable dustman posted:

Im sure you will be able to convert real money into Chris Roberts Fun Bux after the game launches.

That's not what he's saying.

Items for sale in the VD store, according to early CIG responses, will not be for sale in the VD store once the PU goes live.

You will, however, be able to convert real money into Chris Roberts Fun Bux after the game launches, with a cap on the amount you're able to convert. Very much the same way it is now with the cap on how many credits you can have in your virtual wallet.

The VD store weapons/etc were originally just supposed to be for testing/looking pretty while the game pushes through the rest of it's two week development cycle.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Step 1: Look on eBay for Never Settle Space cards. They used to be around $30 for the Gold, now it's $45. You can either buy the Gold or the Silver version (which is still $30). I would absolutely go with eBay over Reddit because the prices are already similar, you get more than one game, and most importantly you're protected from fraud by eBay's buyer protection program (because you're buying a physical item, the card). Most eBay folks will message the code directly if you don't want to wait.

Step 2: Follow the process here and enter the code to have the Omega added to your account.

Step 3: Buy the Mustang Omega to Gamma Swap for $0.

Step 4: Buy the Gamma to Avenger CCU for $5.

Step 5: When you want to change the hull, go to My Hangar and select the Omega to Gamma Swap and click on the Apply button. Do the same for the Gamma to Avenger CCU.

Step 6: If you want the Delta, buy the Avenger to Delta CCU for $5 and apply it as above.

My recommendation is to buy the swap and the two CCUs but not actually apply them. It's entirely possible that the Avenger will turn out to be far more awesome than the Delta, or there will be CCUs for the Avenger that won't be available for the Delta (like the Avenger variants). Applying an upgrade is a non-reversible process. The Delta CCU is only $5 and more importantly won't be available after January 5.

Speaking of the Omega, is it possible to be an interceptor-style dick in AC like you could in Eve or does the extra speed not help that much?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

OptimusWang posted:

Speaking of the Omega, is it possible to be an interceptor-style dick in AC like you could in Eve or does the extra speed not help that much?

All ships reach the same top speed, some just get there faster.

That's a mechanic we still know nothing about though. For non-fast travel (Same top speed) the ships all have varying speeds, obviously, so who knows how well that would play into things.

I do remember CIG talking about the speed mechanic in a sense that the faster your ship was able to get there the more potential you had for possibly intercepting ships attempting to flee but we still need to see how they're going to handle the instancing around that jump/push/roll from normal speeds into the fast travel speeds.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

OptimusWang posted:

Depends on what you mean, but for combat in AC it's currently just deathmatches in confined areas. The speed would make you harder to hit, if it wasn't for the current state of one-hit-kill missiles that everybody spams. I'd imagine the Omega to be somewhat like the M50 - small and hard to hit - though the Omega has a larger profile and I believe that it doesn't come with missiles at all (though I think it can use slightly bigger guns).

Generally speaking strafing is better for evasion though, just going fast in a straight line makes you an easy target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

quote:

You have been put on probation until 2014-12-30 08:18. You can no longer post on the community forums and public chat channels.

Rule 1/2 calling another user a pedophile

This is a half rule or they have two rules and I broke the first one? Either way looks like they dragged their stupid mod rules through that edited video thread and once again, over reacted, to words on the Internet.

• Locked thread