Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Good, I'm glad.

Why are you always witness to my shame??? Like my dad, I hate him...... never fails to show up when I just want to curl up on the floor and be sick....... anyway movie bad, bad awful, stay away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A Spider Covets posted:

i think smaug looks cool and i liked watching him coil around in the second one. i will wait until netflix to watch this one though, OP, because i feel obligated to finish it.

it is my journey to mordor

They don't go anywhere near Mordor you idjit

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
this is the best out of three hobbit movies too, so if you watch the others but not this one idk what the hell is wrong with you

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

.lnk to the past posted:

scottish dwarf riding a pig owned

This, billy connelly owns

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sexy young infidel posted:

this is the best out of three hobbit movies too, so if you watch the others but not this one idk what the hell is wrong with you

its like buying call of duty ghosts, hating it because it was poo poo, and then not buying superior advanced warfare

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

legolas puff piece

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I haven't thrown up in fifteen years.... I think I literally can't throw up, all the garbage I drink just stays inside me swilling around getting rotten...... that's what I am a garbage human full of trash

naem
May 29, 2011

Id like to thank Orlando bloom for dyeig his hair blonde and looking like me because it has totally helped me meet girls

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I like how Thorin's voice got superimposed with Smaug's voice.

People don't really mention this which is odd 'cause it's super obvious, but Peter Jackson basically turned Smaug into the Dragon from Beowulf i.e. a living incarnation of greed.

Greed burns Laketown to the ground, Greed destroys the Dwarven kingdom, Green corrupts the heart of the true King Under the Mountain, Greed is only defeated by one who lacks Greed (Bilbo).

Okay actually the Dragon from Beowulf is an incarnation of Pride. But still it's like, a metaphorical figure given life, and as Beowulf's pride ultimately kills him, Thorin's greed doesn't win and he chooses death and honor over power and corruption (all powerful figures of authority in the Hobbit are corrupt: the Elf King, the Master of Laketown, ultimately Thorin and also Saruman, although we only know that form LotR.)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I too did not enjoy the new Hobbit film.

Nine words.

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore

BottledBodhisvata posted:

all powerful figures of authority in the Hobbit are corrupt

counterpoint: gandalf

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

naem posted:

Id like to thank Orlando bloom for dyeig his hair blonde and looking like me because it has totally helped me meet girls
way to miss the point of being elf Orlando bloom

E: lol your phone auto corrected Orlando to be capitalized but not bloom too

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
A real proper blockbuster came out earlier this month. It was called Exodus: Gods and Kings. A proper epic story with fabulous set pieces, production design, gorgeous sets and costumes.... old school epic cinema done right, not this video game pablum.... there is literally nothing in my life except the next entertainment, what a pointless existence it is.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
It was poo poo

*stares into distance*
*cries*

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

elf king's the least guilty of the bunch. he just wanted people to stay the gently caress out of his woods.

the whole thing's a wwII metaphor, see? humans are the french, easily routed but they put up a good fight when the cavalry arrives. the elves are america, ambivalent about the whole thing until they are left with no choice. the forces of sauron are germany, which makes the dwarves russia. gandalf is jesus, who lead the allies to victory. also smaug represents imperialism or something

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
What does Smaug eat? Gold? Where does he put his poop? After so many years of dragon poo poo it surely would have filled most of the inside of the mountain.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Curling up in corner and sobbing now. Movie still bad.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

the gold is the dragon poop

Smaug: :shrek:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Curling up in corner and sobbing now. Movie still bad.

smoke some weed or stop being a whiny bitch

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Blue Train posted:

smoke some weed or stop being a whiny bitch

Are you seriously defending this awful cgi snoozefest..... pathetic...

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Are you seriously defending this awful cgi snoozefest..... pathetic...

nope haven't seen it and don't plan to, I don't like fantasy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

is hunger games considered equivalent to a light novel from edit: Nippon

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Nonsense posted:

is hunger games considered equivalent to a light novel from japan

its vaguely similar to battle royale so sure why not

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Nonsense posted:

is hunger games considered equivalent to a light novel from japan

If you are asking me, basically yes, both are written at a second grade level and mostly play off kids being too stupid to lnow a ripped off plot when they see it

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
first hobbit was okish I guess

second almost fell asleep

will not watch the third

that is my hobbits tale

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
and how did no one, human or elf or dwarf, notice the orcs setting up a command post on top of the mountain overlooking the city they all camped in? These are armies and armies have scouts who go looking for the enemy, they dont let the enemy traipse right up to your city without you knowing.

This was supposed to be a grand battle finale type movie, but it paled in comparison to the fights in Two Towers and Return of the King. Both of those battles had gravity, this battle felt small.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I am watching it right now but I don't speak spanish so I have no idea what is happening when they start speaking a different language and subtitle it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Windows 98 posted:

I am watching it right now but I don't speak spanish so I have no idea what is happening when they start speaking a different language and subtitle it.

I bet Gandalf's spanish dub voice owns

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Harime Nui posted:

I bet Gandalf's spanish dub voice owns

No the entire movie is the original audio. Just the subtitles are in spanish for some reason.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Trust me, nothing they say in elf/orc is important

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Watched this movie ON WEED.
Was ok.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Man, for every race that has a king they sure as gently caress have a high rate of also being the most top notch warrior of them all. Where the fat boring kings with no fighting skills at?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
maybe they should not have tried to make 3 movies out of The Hobbit

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Windows 98 posted:

Man, for every race that has a king they sure as gently caress have a high rate of also being the most top notch warrior of them all. Where the fat boring kings with no fighting skills at?

the goblin king fights with his ballsack chin

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Windows 98 posted:

Humans basically don't got kings no more except for Rohan and Gondor, they mostly live in crappy towns with loose government like Bree or Esgaroth b/c the Witch King hosed up the main human kingdom a few centuries back, the last surviving nobles became the rangers who trained Aragorn when he wasn't slumming around Elrond's house macking on his daughter

Ps Aragorn in LOTR is like 85 b/c blood of old Numenor makes u ubermensch will live to be 200

Sufficient
Aug 7, 2006
I'M A FUCKING IDIOT
p.s. don't wear condoms
I went with some family members the day after christmas. I hadn't seen the previous two hobbits and had no real intention on seeing this one, but I felt guilty about not going to see a movie with people I don't always get to spend time with, on top of not even having to pay for it. No one seemed to come out of it enthralled or super happy they saw it, but I guess it was a fun movie? The 3D didn't really add much to it, the only time I really noticed it was when the snow was falling and a random sword came out of the screen during a fight... both of which took away from the scene though. I hadn't read the book since 4th grade, nor seen the previous movies, so I also didn't have any connection to the characters, so it all felt really over the top and melodramatic to me lol. Probably going to be one of the least memorable movies I've seen in the past few years at the theaters. The love story seemed ham fisted and I don't remember the book spending so much drat time on Thorin being a douchelord and them all taking forever to die.

Was the Elf captain gay?

Why was Sauroman a good guy? Is his off-screen chase of Sauron his fall from grace or something? Also Gandalf felt less likeable in this movie than the previous series.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

all elves are gay

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Incidentally Gimli and Aragorn are about the same age, both are toddlers at the time The Hobbit takes place

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Bilbo Baggins sure is old. Gandalf sure is old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They don't explicitly say so in the film version but about 20 years pass btwn Bilbo's 111th birthday and when Frodo leaves the shire, making him about 45 when he undertakes the journey

• Locked thread