Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mokinokaro posted:

And I'd argue the Wii U isn't quite worth the money yet unless you REALLY love Mario/Zelda.

Pikmin Mother loving Three, bitch

Also a refurbished Wii U is dirt cheap, it is absolutely goddamn worth the money for one.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

DStecks posted:

Let's all just agree that 2014 was a fuckin awful year for video games in general, and the reasons for that have no reasonable chance of being addressed in 2015.

I think a large part of the reason why there was a lack of games is simply that most of the really big 2014 games got delayed until 2015. There's a lot of stuff I'm excited for next year - Bloodborne, Witcher III, Arkham Knight, Uncharted 4, MGSV, maybe No Man's Sky if that's out by then. There's also stuff like The Order 1886 and Until Dawn that may well be good but that I'm less sure about. First years of new generations are always a little down.

edit: Oh, and Persona 5.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's been a lot of good games, it's just not that universal genre that everyone is familiar with or has a story that goes beyond games like the Last of Us/Bioshock did last year. This year was party games (super smash), character twitch reflex games (Bayonetta) or a super long 100+ hour RPG (Dragon Age) that populated the fall which usually shapes up the year.

The rape thing was dumb, but seeing dumb failpuns that 12 year olds would call stupid get on my nerves. Micro$oft and poo poo like that.

And for the record, I own a PC and haven't owned a console since the PS2 era.

BreakAtmo posted:

I think a large part of the reason why there was a lack of games is simply that most of the really big 2014 games got delayed until 2015. There's a lot of stuff I'm excited for next year - Bloodborne, Witcher III, Arkham Knight, Uncharted 4, MGSV, maybe No Man's Sky if that's out by then. There's also stuff like The Order 1886 and Until Dawn that may well be good but that I'm less sure about. First years of new generations are always a little down.

edit: Oh, and Persona 5.

He's not talking about actual game quality, he goes beyond gameplay.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DStecks posted:

Let's all just agree that 2014 was a fuckin awful year for video games in general, and the reasons for that have no reasonable chance of being addressed in 2015.

Actually it was really great unless you still hold unrealistic expectations for AAA franchises.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tae posted:

He's not talking about actual game quality, he goes beyond gameplay.

WTF are you even talking about?

Alien Isolation was the only big-name title this year that I felt the need to play. I'm done with Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 4 screams "Oh wow FC3 was really well-received, let's just make more of it but with the creative spark sucked out of it", I've never given a poo poo about Dragon Age or LOTR, and I don't own a WiiU. So 2014 was pretty much a bust for me.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 30, 2014

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

He's saying that you're not just talking about a dearth of good games, but also about all the dumb stuff that happened around video games and gaming this year. Which I assumed you were from that post too? Otherwise I have no idea what you meant by that 2015 comment.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Idran posted:

He's saying that you're not just talking about a dearth of good games, but also about all the dumb stuff that happened around video games and gaming this year. Which I assumed you were from that post too? Otherwise I have no idea what you meant by that 2015 comment.

Yes that was also implied, but the "no signs of changing in 2015" was more about AAA games having awful buggy launches and questionable microtransactions. And really, that's mostly a "Ubisoft are a poo poo publisher and also very successful" problem.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
2014 in games was a shitshow. The console platform war entrenchment is now back in full swing, now with widespread industry and fan backlash towards any studio that doesn't have the money and staff to keep up with the new demands of production values.

The new Dragon Age was a forgettable pile of poo poo, and expectations of AAA RPGs have reached the point where Obsidian will likely never get an opportunity to work with a major publisher to make a game like New Vegas ever again.
:ghost:

Meanwhile, Ubisoft is so fundamentally broken that they can't even make Tetris.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DStecks posted:

Alien Isolation was the only big-name title this year that I felt the need to play. I'm done with Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 4 screams "Oh wow FC3 was really well-received, let's just make more of it but with the creative spark sucked out of it", I've never given a poo poo about Dragon Age or LOTR, and I don't own a WiiU. So 2014 was pretty much a bust for me.

Haven't played isolation, but I'd shout out Shadows of Mordor as a good one for 2014, the games even optimized really well on PC unlike a lot of stuff (like your second mention, although AFAIK that was poo poo on everything), and is a good mix of both unity's expectations and a good implementation of the Arkham combat.

3DS also had a few good releases, like Bravely Default.

Tae posted:

The rape thing was dumb, but seeing dumb failpuns that 12 year olds would call stupid get on my nerves. Micro$oft and poo poo like that.

And for the record, I own a PC and haven't owned a console since the PS2 era.
They called the third Xbox the Xbox One.

And sure you haven't.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Mobile Arena also had some really interesting stuff going on, with stuff like Hitman Go, 80 Days and Monument Valley.

Freedom Planet, Nuclear Throne, RoundAbout and Joylancer were also considerable names released in 2014. And Wolfenstein The New Order turned out to be a wonderful surprised both in terms of writing and gameplay.

There was indeed some really neat stuff that got released in 2014, but it required a more broad awareness of what's going on the indie and mobile scene or at least a cease of "Tetris is too simple to be a videogame and too casual" sort of thinking, which honestly is hosed up by itself.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kunster posted:

Freedom Planet, Nuclear Throne, RoundAbout and Joylancer were also considerable names released in 2014. And Wolfenstein The New Order turned out to be a wonderful surprised both in terms of writing and gameplay.

This War of Mine, Divinity: Original Sin, Endless Legend (and Dungeon of the Endless,) and Valiant Hearts too. It was a pretty bad year for AAA releases but there's tons of good games from this year that had sensible budgets.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mokinokaro posted:

It was a pretty bad year for AAA releases but there's tons of good games from this year that had sensible budgets.

That was my thinking. It seems like most of the well received games of 2014 were smaller projects like Divinity: OS & Shovel Knight.

Really, the problem is that a lot of the games on PS4 and XBONE are also available on PC, which is the advantage the Wii U seems to have over the two.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

This War of Mine, Divinity: Original Sin, Endless Legend (and Dungeon of the Endless,) and Valiant Hearts too. It was a pretty bad year for AAA releases but there's tons of good games from this year that had sensible budgets.

I can't help but feel that 2014 probably marks the beginning of the end for this incarnation of the video game industry. AAA, as it is, just isn't sustainable, so long as everyone's business model is to try to make the best-selling game ever made. I read something on Gamasutra that suggested that Ubisoft may very well be in a death spiral: rushing games results in poor reception and sales, which spooks the shareholders, which provokes a reaction of "oh god just put it out the door now so we can start selling copies", which results in rushed games, which results in poorer reception and sales....

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

If it happens, it will be probably be localized: There's still incredibly safe cash cows with stuff like the Fifa and NBA live series, and there's always what NDS and PSVITA did, with highlighting at the end smaller studios to keep it going.

Itch.io and GOG honestly help too. Having other smaller market places with a higher cut for indie developers help a lot to get a lot of new blood going. And it avoids stuff like this. "Hey please make your game where you had to develop for a good while at a huge loss even cheaper because huuuuh economics. How come you guys can't be more like Edmund Dead Baby McMillen?"

Kunster fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 30, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wow it's been a whole year already, time for yet another round of people with zero information beyond 'I didn't like this' talking about the 'death' of huge aspects media industries and how major players are totally on death's door.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've never got the thing where people now feel entitled to a discount even on recent releases. Devs have the right to profit from their work.

It's not a difficult concept: if you must have the game now you are paying the price the developer or publisher sets. If you can wait you'll likely find it cheaper later.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last year the Wii U destroyed Nintendo, this year Assassins Creed destroys the videogame industry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Next year that new 3ds will actually just loving murder people.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Yeah, because when has a loss of consumer confidence, due to the inability to tell if a game will be good, ever done anything bad for the games industry?

And that doesn't even factor in the ever-escalating costs of development to diminishing returns, and reduced adoption of the new generation of consoles, and exploitative business practices becoming more widely publicized, but no, "lol AC5 was bad video games are dead".

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please, speak on that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DStecks posted:

Yeah, because when has a loss of consumer confidence, due to the inability to tell if a game will be good, ever done anything bad for the games industry?

And that doesn't even factor in the ever-escalating costs of development to diminishing returns, and reduced adoption of the new generation of consoles, and exploitative business practices becoming more widely publicized, but no, "lol AC5 was bad video games are dead".

It literally is impossible for there to be another crash, just in the sense that not only are there 3 major consoles+PCs rather than just Atari, the old days pre-crash involved next to no oversight or licenses involved in making third party games.

Beyond that, we have more ability than ever to tell 'if a game will be good'?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wow it's been a whole year already, time for yet another round of people with zero information beyond 'I didn't like this' talking about the 'death' of huge aspects media industries and how major players are totally on death's door.

I'm just gonna quote myself from earlier here again. Just replace "decade" with "year" and you're good to go.

Tracula posted:

Every decade had good music, movies, books, media, etc and people who say otherwise are just being hipsters who want everything to suck except for a very specific period of time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you don't understand what caused the video game crash, don't talk about it as if you're an expert. But I'm sure you're just going to move goalposts again just to continue this fruitless discussion that can't possibly continue unless you straight lie about facts.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I was kinda tempted to add a snide remark about folk going on about the videogame crash even before it was brought up, but it looks like destiny has popped up.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Heck, the ET game people like to rail 's "landfill" ordeal was because they made far more copies than the number of stuff actually brought among other factors, not because the game was by itself bad. (Not to mention some of the stuff piled on is might unfair or easily fixable)

Here's a neat Retronauts episode about Atari where they talk about the crash itself.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
On the topic of actual critics, CinemaSins may have released their most petty, spergy, video yet. It's The Woman in Black and 90% of it is "WHY DOESN'T HE JUST LEAVE THE HOUSE" including citing loving Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

2014 was the year of the HD remake and there are some down the pipeline. It just seems like that in the development circles they weren't too sure anyone gave a poo poo about owning new consoles any more and they'd either go full PC or handheld. Then the PS4 became the fastest selling console in the history of forever. It feels like they scrambled to get something out there to make up for their lack of foresight. It may very well not be the case but it feels like it. That said, I've enjoyed my PS4 a whole lot and what I don't play on there I play on my PC.

Capcom is making HD remakes of every game except Dragon's Dogma. They need to get cracking on that. In fact, a sequel would be great too. Thanks!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

On the topic of actual critics, CinemaSins may have released their most petty, spergy, video yet. It's The Woman in Black and 90% of it is "WHY DOESN'T HE JUST LEAVE THE HOUSE" including citing loving Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

What's the appeal? An actual list of half though out bullet points that show the "flaws" of a film? Because nerds are too lazy to watch a movie to find out what's wrong?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Annointed posted:

What's the appeal? An actual list of half though out bullet points that show the "flaws" of a film? Because nerds are too lazy to watch a movie to find out what's wrong?

Basically, even the decent videos are like half genuine 'wait no that wouldn't be possible' plot holes and half 'BUT YOU DIDN'T EXPLICITLY TELL ME EVERYTHING BEFORE THIS ALSO WHY WOULD THEY EVEN PICK UP A HITCH HIKER IN THIS HORROR MOVIE THIS JUST ISN'T LOGICAL GUYS' poo poo.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Basically, even the decent videos are like half genuine 'wait no that wouldn't be possible' plot holes and half 'BUT YOU DIDN'T EXPLICITLY TELL ME EVERYTHING BEFORE THIS ALSO WHY WOULD THEY EVEN PICK UP A HITCH HIKER IN THIS HORROR MOVIE THIS JUST ISN'T LOGICAL GUYS' poo poo.

Subtlety is dead. It's the director's fault for wanting their stories to demand more of their audience.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Kunster posted:

Heck, the ET game people like to rail 's "landfill" ordeal was because they made far more copies than the number of stuff actually brought among other factors, not because the game was by itself bad.

For the record, the game was bad. (It was not the worst game ever made. It wasn't even the worst game on the 2600!)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I seriously don't understand how you ever enjoy any movie that isn't a documentary with this type of attitude " UM EXCUSE ME, IRON MAN SHOULD BE DEAD FROM FALLING THAT FAR AND FURTHERMORE THE TESSARACT? THAT JUST SEEMS ILLOGICAL AND ANOTHER THING"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Errant Signal released a 2014 year in review video which pretty much sums up my thoughts on video games this year as a whole.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

On the topic of actual critics, CinemaSins

Are not critics. I have never seen a single CinemaSins video that has even attempted criticism. They're mainly trying to make funny videos to make you laugh by pointing out stuff in movies you might not think about while watching them. They're also failing at that because it's hard to be funny when you stretch your one joke out for fifteen minutes, they were a lot better when they started out and their videos were a third as long, made them focus on just the good jokes.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

My favorite thing about CinemaSins is them getting a piece on Cracked to bemoan other places for nitpicking movies. Written by the guy who wrote a piece bemoaning other sites for using clickbaity headlines. On Cracked.

rujasu posted:

For the record, the game was bad. (It was not the worst game ever made. It wasn't even the worst game on the 2600!)

I ain't denying that, but it wasn't this system/"industry" destroying game as folk would like to paint as.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wasn't ET just a game that was indicative of the lack of quality that led to the crash? Like you were getting Kool Aid games, games based on dog food and other poo poo flooding the market, ET was just an easy game to blame.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Are not critics. I have never seen a single CinemaSins video that has even attempted criticism. They're mainly trying to make funny videos to make you laugh by pointing out stuff in movies you might not think about while watching them. They're also failing at that because it's hard to be funny when you stretch your one joke out for fifteen minutes, they were a lot better when they started out and their videos were a third as long, made them focus on just the good jokes.
Trying to be RedLetterMedia is hard.

Unless you're RedLetterMedia.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Wasn't ET just a game that was indicative of the lack of quality that led to the crash? Like you were getting Kool Aid games, games based on dog food and other poo poo flooding the market, ET was just an easy game to blame.

Pretty much. It was thrown together in six weeks to cash in on the movie.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Annointed posted:

To be fair this sounds like 95% of internet critics.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tracula posted:

To be fair this sounds like 95% of internet critics.

Fair enough but most "comedy critics" at least makes their points and jokes flow like a narrative. Cinemasins basically reads like a long grocery list to me and is as funny as one.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The appeal of CinemaSins is the feeling of both :smug: and :spergin: you get when you "outsmart" the movie and, by extension, the directors/writers/actors/etc. Watching films for these kinds of people isn't to enjoy it, it's to show off how smart they think they are. Really, it shows just how pedantic they are.

I actually liked CinemaSins' "What's the Damage?" series. It's neat to look at a film and wonder "How much would recovery cost?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I really think CinemaSins is really just meant as a sort of "well that's sort of silly" momentary chuckles. None of the jokes are meant to be substantial enough for more than the ten to twenty seconds they take up. Sometimes they produce something kinda funny and sometimes they waste ten minutes of our time. Usually the latter occurs when they essentially just repeat jokes.

I also really don't think that they consider any of the listed "sins" as real marks against the movie. Otherwise they wouldn't have the multiplying bonus rounds that get to absurd numbers in the millions. Like the joke isn't really always funny but you guys do realize you're the ones being :spergin: by taking it all super seriously.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 30, 2014

• Locked thread