Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Darth123123 posted:

Wouldn't removing subsidies cause more bankruptcy? And all airlines going out of business at the same time is somewhat unlikely...

Bankruptcy is the goal here. I'm arguing that airlines going out of business is a good thing. Even if they don't all go out of business at the same time, the remaining solvent companies couldn't possibly afford to buy up all the defunct ones without the money from subsidies.

The current model is stagnant and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Applewhite posted:

"Get on your flight, sir!"

"What?"

"Calm down, sir!"

"I am calm??"

"Suspect has become hostile!"

bam! lol

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

"Get on your flight, sir!"

"What?"

"Calm down, sir!"

"I am calm??"

"Suspect has become hostile!"

If you make me get on the flight I'll send a Tweet calling your flight attendants 'ugly-rear end hoes!'

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

All airlines should just be Southwest employees on Virgin Atlantic aircraft

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Smoking_Dragon posted:

The statistical chance of crashing is the same every time you fly.
I don't know about that.

For example, you rarely see two or three commercial jets crash in the same week or month, let alone the same day. Thus, I like to fly soon after a plane crashes, because it means that my plane will be less likely to crash. I flew home on Sunday and was happy to see that Malaysian Air jet go down the day before, because it meant my plane would be less likely to crash.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

babies havin rabies posted:

It's not like they can ever enforce this. I mean the police can't come arrest somebody for booking a flight and then not taking it.

Right?

If it gets popular, I imagine they'll add a security deposit to your ticket.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Please present your ticket to prove this is your final destination so you can leave the terminal, thank you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I don't know about that.

For example, you rarely see two or three commercial jets crash in the same week or month, let alone the same day. Thus, I like to fly soon after a plane crashes, because it means that my plane will be less likely to crash. I flew home on Sunday and was happy to see that Malaysian Air jet go down the day before, because it meant my plane would be less likely to crash.

This is actually true when the NTSB or whatever concludes an investigation into why a crash happened and their suggestions are implemented by the airlines.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Since I know nothing about flying, how do you get back? Do you just book a one-way flight and get off at the layover, and then a separate one-way flight back with a layover in the city nearest you? Or do you do a round-trip and then get on at the layover city?

I imagine the latter wouldn't go over too well. "Uhhh yeah it says the flight was from New York but I'm getting on in Philly. I... took a bus here?"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I don't know about that.

Statistics are a lie we tell ourselves to make sense of a chaotic universe. In reality, all those planes that crashed had a 100% likelihood of crashing, but the conditions contributing to the crash were invisible to us until it was too late. No so-called "random" event effects the likelihood of any other random event, even if it seems like it does.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
sha la la la la

sha la lala la la

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
one time I bought a bus ticket to binghamton but didn't get off and went all the way to NYC. this actually sucked for me because I wanted to get to binghamton, but you could use that trick to save money on bus tickets I guess

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Since I know nothing about flying, how do you get back? Do you just book a one-way flight and get off at the layover, and then a separate one-way flight back with a layover in the city nearest you? Or do you do a round-trip and then get on at the layover city?

I imagine the latter wouldn't go over too well. "Uhhh yeah it says the flight was from New York but I'm getting on in Philly. I... took a bus here?"

You're not getting on at the layover point, you're getting off. The layover point is where you really want to be. You get back by booking another one-way flight, whether the flight back saves you money or is straight-up one way is irrelevant.

I'm not sure if the method you're proposing would actually work or if it would get you screened by security.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

You're not getting on at the layover point, you're getting off. The layover point is where you really want to be. You get back by booking another one-way flight, whether the flight back saves you money or is straight-up one way is irrelevant.

Yeah I know the first part, I just didn't know if this method was supposed to save you money both ways or just one way. Apparently just one way would be the safest. From the way that article read I'd be worried that they wouldn't let you book a one-way flight back if they find out you didn't embark at the layover point.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

It's not like they can ever enforce this. I mean the police can't come arrest somebody for booking a flight and then not taking it.

Right?

The airlines don't have an issue with people using this One Weird Trick. People have been doing it for decades.

They have an issue with a site who's singular purpose is making it easier to book flights this way.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I know the first part, I just didn't know if this method was supposed to save you money both ways or just one way. Apparently just one way would be the safest. From the way that article read I'd be worried that they wouldn't let you book a one-way flight back if they find out you didn't embark at the layover point.

An easy way to get around this would just to buy two different one-way tickets from two different airlines. You skip the difficulties of a round trip ticket possibly being voided and the possibility that the airline notices you booked two different tickets with a different starting/end point for each.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

420DD Butts posted:

An easy way to get around this would just to buy two different one-way tickets from two different airlines. You skip the difficulties of a round trip ticket possibly being voided and the possibility that the airline notices you booked two different tickets with a different starting/end point for each.

All you need to do now is pay in cash and you'll glide by TSA. lol

I know people do this, but it would seem airlines would catch drift (probably through TSA) and generally make your life hell if you travelled alot as I do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I did this a few years ago. It was cheaper to fly Japan-Australia-NZ (two-week stay)-Australia-Vancouver than to fly Vancouver direct. :psyduck: Oh well, free trip.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I don't fly

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Smoking_Dragon posted:

If you make me get on the flight I'll send a Tweet calling your flight attendants 'ugly-rear end hoes!'

This is a bunch of hoes

This is a bunch of hos and a mountain of steroids

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Darth123123 posted:

All you need to do now is pay in cash and you'll glide by TSA. lol

I know people do this, but it would seem airlines would catch drift (probably through TSA) and generally make your life hell if you travelled alot as I do.

The only way TSA is going to give you hell is if you look middle eastern or if you are on a no-fly list. While I'm not 100% positive I doubt that airlines have any call who is on the no-fly list.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ocean Book posted:

one time I bought a bus ticket to binghamton but didn't get off and went all the way to NYC. this actually sucked for me because I wanted to get to binghamton, but you could use that trick to save money on bus tickets I guess

were you hiding because greyhound makes everyone get off the bus (Also the past few times I've checked its not been cheaper than a loving plane lmao)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Smoking_Dragon posted:

The only way TSA is going to give you hell is if you look middle eastern or if you are on a no-fly list. While I'm not 100% positive I doubt that airlines have any call who is on the no-fly list.

I'm fairly certain TSA (among other agencies) do big data type data analytics on ticket purchases. Frequency, locations, cash, one-ways with odd/disconnected locations, etc. :911:

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Windows 98 posted:

I heard that for every time you ride a plane and don't crash your chances of crashing the next time double. It's sort of this diminishing return effect that prevents people from flying too much.

But what about the pilots?

How the hell does that even work. If you had a 1/100 chance to find a dollar today, and a 1/100 chance to find a dollar tomorrow, your total chance of finding a dollar is 1-(1- 1/100)^2.. which is not a doubling function. It's logarithmic. After 100 days, you're only at a 60% chance of finding that crisp dollar bill throughout that 100 days.

E: I fly twice a year to visit the gf, and it's kinda bullshit on how airlines operate. "Oh get our credit card and you get 4 inches extra legroom... maybe?"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nullEntityRNG posted:

How the hell does that even work. If you had a 1/100 chance to find a dollar today, and a 1/100 chance to find a dollar tomorrow, your total chance of finding a dollar is 1-(1- 1/100)^2.. which is not a doubling function. It's logarithmic. After 100 days, you're only at a 60% chance of finding that crisp dollar bill throughout that 100 days.

Looks like someone doesn't know how numbers work (it's you)

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

nullEntityRNG posted:

E: I fly twice a year to visit the gf, and it's kinda bullshit on how airlines operate. "Oh get our credit card and you get 4 inches extra legroom... maybe?"

If you flip a standard coin there is a 50% chance it will land on heads even if it has landed on tails the past 50 times in a row.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Robo Reagan posted:

Looks like someone doesn't know how numbers work (it's you)

...Oh. Whoops gently caress, you're right. I'm doing something completely wrong. It's P(A) + P(B), not P(A)P(B). :doh:

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

A Yolo Wizard posted:

were you hiding because greyhound makes everyone get off the bus (Also the past few times I've checked its not been cheaper than a loving plane lmao)

no i was just stupid. i wish they had made me get off because i got to spend extra dollars and many hours trying to get to binghamton. maybe theyve figured out my cool trick and are watching out for it now.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Most of the stops though they don't actually check your ticket if you were already on the bus, they just let you get back on and not give a gently caress.

Source: I rode greyhound one time and it was not that fun.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

TwoStepBoog posted:

all depends on airports and airlines. take Minneapolis where a majority of the flights in/out are Delta. Delta can jack up the price since they control a large portion of the airport.
but in New York, they are on equal ground as all the other airlines, so they have to compete for passengers
that's how you end up with poo poo prices like this

they both start as the exact same flight, it's just that one goes on to New York

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Holy poo poo, I knew it was generally out of whack, but this is a loving ridiculous mark up.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
For the $450 difference you could forget about checked baggage, buy new clothes at your destination, and then mail them back to yourself on the last day.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the airlines are gonna win this b/c consumers having accurate information when participating in the market is grossly unfair and un-american. it's a travesty against our god-blessed tradition of stacked decks and rigged games

Robo Reagan posted:

speaking of stacked decks...!!!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ville Valo posted:

The airlines don't have an issue with people using this One Weird Trick. People have been doing it for decades.

They have an issue with a site who's singular purpose is making it easier to book flights this way.

no they had an issue, it just wasn't as large

also gently caress expensive airlines for anything except long haul flights, if i'm going from berlin to london i want to go on a flying bus and not pay for a full featured flying experience

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

blowfish posted:

no they had an issue, it just wasn't as large

also gently caress expensive airlines for anything except long haul flights, if i'm going from berlin to london i want to go on a flying bus and not pay for a full featured flying experience

If I'm on a flight that's less than like.. 6 or 8 hours I just don't give a poo poo anymore

fire me out of a catapult vaguely pointed at my destination

I don't like the cheapo guys being super bitchy about the size of your carry on bag, though

gently caress you man I KNOW I CAN GET IT UP THERE

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

being contemptuous of your customers is the american way
gently caress you for flying delta

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Most of the stops though they don't actually check your ticket if you were already on the bus, they just let you get back on and not give a gently caress.

Source: I rode greyhound one time and it was not that fun.

I rode it once it was ok but I slept through the crazy lady calling up people in the middle of the night from her pile of business cards and cursing at them until she was detained in chicago

its insane that it costs as much or more to take the bus for 2 days as it is for me to just get launched over there in 2 hours on a highly sophisticated flying machine though. The wifi is free on the bus and you get to eat at mcdonalds for not airport prices but ehh

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 30, 2014

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Pull on your bootstraps hard enough and commercial air travel is just a thing of some neoliberalist wet dream

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Robo Reagan posted:

This is a bunch of hoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K76HbbxsBs

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

I hope the judges correctly gave him points for that. He was actually right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

GORDON posted:

So what are they going to do, march people to their connecting flight with cattle prods?

TSA :cop:

• Locked thread