Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had to do 20 miles in an E30 with no throttle cable once. I just wound out the idle stop so it did about 5000rpm unloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I once had to be the gas pedal in my mom's 67 bug. It snapped off right at the pedal, so I just put a set of vice grips on it while my mom drove and I gave throttle as needed. Another fun time was snapping the clutch cable 30 miles from home and using the starter in first gear to get home. Luckily it had a brand new transmission with good synchros.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Luckily it had a brand new transmission with good synchros.

Emphasis on "had".

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

veedubfreak posted:

I once had to be the gas pedal in my mom's 67 bug. It snapped off right at the pedal, so I just put a set of vice grips on it while my mom drove and I gave throttle as needed. Another fun time was snapping the clutch cable 30 miles from home and using the starter in first gear to get home. Luckily it had a brand new transmission with good synchros.

After the throttle cable snapped in my 71 super stranding me 30 minutes from home I started keeping a spare in the glovebox. Came in handy more times then I care to remember.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

veedubfreak posted:

Stories like this (no matter how cool) remind me that the choir preaching how drive by wire sucks isn't always right. Don't get me wrong, I like the tactile feedback of a cable, but they have the potential to be inconvenient at best and dangerous at worst. At lot of vehicles that use throttle cables are old enough to need replacing, something most people don't consider. These days, drive by wire is consistently reliable for nearly all manufacturers, with the exception of the most egregious bean counters (looking at you, "new" GM).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Francis Baconator posted:

Stories like this (no matter how cool) remind me that the choir preaching how drive by wire sucks isn't always right. Don't get me wrong, I like the tactile feedback of a cable, but they have the potential to be inconvenient at best and dangerous at worst. At lot of vehicles that use throttle cables are old enough to need replacing, something most people don't consider. These days, drive by wire is consistently reliable for nearly all manufacturers, with the exception of the most egregious bean counters (looking at you, "new" GM).
The only complaints I hear (or have) relating to DBW throttles are them being programmed to damp out input and generally not do what you tell them, likely in the name of emissions. As far as the basic nature of the design goes, anyone who isn't a :bahgawd: seems not at all bothered.

It's not like they can't fail themselves, just in different ways.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I really dislike DBW that gets in my way. Just do what I asked, you fuckhead car.

There are only a few cases where I think it's awesome - it's great for helping with electronic stability / traction control (assuming non idiots designed it), and great for stuff like automatic rev matching for upshifts and downshifts, which appeals to me as an engineer, but not much as a driver.

Amusingly none of this applies to 13"s car, seeing as it has like 9 wires in the entire thing and most of them are turn signals and the horn :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

At lot of vehicles that use throttle cables are old enough to need replacing, something most people don't consider.

petition to run this heretic out of AI

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
PERHAPS AUTOMOTIVE SENSIBILITY MIGHT BE A LITTLE MORE YOUR SPEED

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Signed.

I don't like DBW even though I had a throttle cable failure on an old carbie car.
I don't even have to compare old cars with carbies to DBW. There was a huge difference in throttle response between my EL falcon (EFI - Cable) and BA falcon (EFI - DBW)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I've never heard of anyone breaking a throttle cable on a Japanese car, even an 80s model with hundreds of thousands of kilometers and no one pro-actively replaces them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
What about Japanese cars from the 70s?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Fo3 posted:

What about Japanese cars from the 70s?

Well I haven't heard of any failures there either but the only ones left on the road here tend to be well looked after examples, which have often had replacement engines (or swaps) anyway so they don't really count.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My car has a throttle cable to run a DBW sensor, what now?

No, I'm serious, what the gently caress now Peugeot? What is that poo poo? :wtc:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Cable guy must have been union, only willing to run it so many centimetres.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

No, I'm serious, what the gently caress now Peugeot? What is that poo poo? :wtc:

Bikes do this poo poo too....

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jammyozzy posted:

Probably dropped a DBW engine into a car with a cable throttle and didn't want to redesign the throttle system to accommodate a matching pedal assembly, last model year or two of the chassis or whatever.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

jammyozzy posted:

I believe you answered your own question.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I believe you answered your own question.

I believe it was Peugeot that shoehorned a 6 speed transmission into a chassis that wasn't designed for it by fitting a steering rack that had different amounts of lock left and right

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's beautiful :allears:

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Early 2000's bikes and some cars used a traditional cable and butterfly and a second electronic butterfly that would only open as fast as the engine could respond, acting like a constant velocity carb. Maybe it's something like that? Or maybe it's only purpose is to even out the input and improve mileage, I dunno.

I have no beef with drive by wire throttles except for having to plan ahead .5 seconds when I want the gas to come on. I seriously doubt any of the systems out there now will be performing as well as a cable in 40 years time and that goes double for the finicky crap in my e60. Also when it does go I cant use a shoelace tied to the throttle and run through the quarter window to get me home drive around for a few days like in my old Sprite.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

dissss posted:

I believe it was Peugeot that shoehorned a 6 speed transmission into a chassis that wasn't designed for it by fitting a steering rack that had different amounts of lock left and right

The same chassis I think, I believe my dad's 306 GTi-6 had this exact 'feature'. Mine's a diesel, so it's not like there's even a throttle body to gently caress about with.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus christ, that's like Sopwith Camel: now in automobile trim!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kastein posted:

I really dislike DBW that gets in my way. Just do what I asked, you fuckhead car.

Yeah, this. I rented a U-haul recently (not a performance vehicle to be sure) that was a recent Chevy van model. I swear to God nothing happens for the first 1/4 of the pedal travel then all of a sudden WHEEEE it catches and you're off and running. Driving smoothly at low speed was all but impossible.

I imagine it's an emissions/mileage thing for hamfists that just treat the throttle like a light switch but it's seriously annoying.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

PERHAPS AUTOMOTIVE SENSIBILITY MIGHT BE A LITTLE MORE YOUR SPEED
:eyepop:

Gotta respect your stance after driving home with the choke and still loving the cable.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Listen man I use sections of rusty barbwire coated in fiberglass for sounding rods i aint gonna let no piece of poo poo little cable get in my way

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Also it was more the old enough to be replaced line that would pretty much eliminate the need for this forum if everyone drove a car new enough to be dbw that I took issue with :v:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Also it was more the old enough to be replaced line that would pretty much eliminate the need for this forum if everyone drove a car new enough to be dbw that I took issue with :v:
I like throttle cables too, I guess my point is that DBW isn't always bad. It's as good, or as bad, as its calibration. Personally, I think it's badass how some AIers get their ride home after a cable, belt or clutch failure. :hellyeah:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Psh, throttle cables and DBW. Clearly the correct answer is a throttle linkage that consists of a lever on the pedal and a rod going to the carburetor. Don't have to worry about your 1/8" rod breaking on your drive home. Why make it more complicated by using a cable?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

Psh, throttle cables and DBW. Clearly the correct answer is a throttle linkage that consists of a lever on the pedal and a rod going to the carburetor. Don't have to worry about your 1/8" rod breaking on your drive home. Why make it more complicated by using a cable?

I used to have this, it was p. cool but the pedal was held to the rod with a ball and socket joint and kept popping out if you weren't experienced with driving it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Raluek posted:

This is what I have on the C10. Dont even have a pedal, just the metal rod coming out of the firewall and connected to another rod to the carb, like a boss. I drove my first DBW car in years a couple weeks ago when I did the tbelt on that Audi and it sucked so bad. Took forever to respond and then when it did it held revs like it had a 500 lb flywheel, rev matching/etc sucked.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

Raluek posted:

Clearly the correct answer is a throttle linkage that consists of a lever on the pedal and a rod going to the carburetor. Don't have to worry about your 1/8" rod breaking on your drive home.
And you really know when you've torn a motor mount because the throttle response gets real interesting.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I think the DBW in my audi is pretty great. Linear and responsive

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That sounds remarkably like a complex expensive electrical system emulating a simple cheap throttle cable, then.

I say that as an embedded systems engineer in the midst of putting well over 40 microcontrollers and likely several million lines of firmware code (one of em runs Linux, or it'd be under half a million) on a car/plane. KISS principle still applies, especially on critical stuff like brakes, steering, and throttle.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You fuckers bitch about DBW, but you ain' lived till you drove DBA. (drive by air)

OR

Drove a bus with a mechanical throttle/clutch linkage 40 god drat feet long, with a shifter and linkage 40 god drat feet long, all on no syncros!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kastein posted:

Jesus christ, that's like Sopwith Camel: now in automobile trim!

I had no idea what a Sopwith Camel was so I looked it up and this little tidbit just greatly tickled me:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Everyone knows the best throttle is having the cover off of your vans engine and driving with one hand on the wheel and one on the carb directly. Bonus points if you don't have a fuel pump and control rpm by the speed of your pour of gas out of a beer can.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

cursedshitbox posted:

You fuckers bitch about DBW, but you ain' lived till you drove DBA. (drive by air)

Ah, the mk1 hillman imp.
The gas pedal actuates a pump, that compresses air which controls a second pump at the Solex carburetor at the back of the car. A lovely idea, but the rubber hoses had a nasty habit of deteriorating and leaking, so you'd have to pump out the accelerator pedal if you wanted to keep up the revs.

SO glad my imp is cable controlled.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

The Midniter posted:

I had no idea what a Sopwith Camel was so I looked it up and this little tidbit just greatly tickled me:

those aren't rotary engines aaaaaaaa :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, they're the original whole radial engine spins around the stationary crankshaft, uses as much oil as fuel, with lovely characteristics due to gyroscopic forces that you wouldn't want in an aircraft type of rotary.

• Locked thread