Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Pengu! posted:

I recently picked up an Xbox 360 for Christmas and thought I'd come here for some suggestions on what games I should get for the system. Basically, I'm looking for games that you simply cannot get on Steam, so anything that is only available on Origin otherwise is a perfectly fine suggestion. So far, I've picked up Skate 3, SSX, Halo 3 and Reach, Red Dead Redemption, and Bayonetta. My brother and I are pretty open with genres, and we'll play pretty much anything.

Forza 4. In my opinion it's probably the best racing game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Are there any recent RTS games that will satiate my nostalgia for WC3?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Starcraft 2 is the only recent "traditional" RTS thats been released lately. But I'm guessing you already considered/played that.

RTS is really dead isnt it? AFAIK Last big RTS release (aside from Starcraft 2) was Battle for middle earth 2 in 2007.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GyverMac posted:

Starcraft 2 is the only recent "traditional" RTS thats been released lately. But I'm guessing you already considered/played that.

RTS is really dead isnt it? AFAIK Last big RTS release (aside from Starcraft 2) was Battle for middle earth 2 in 2007.

Your example was in 2006, but Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance was late 07 so I guess that's about it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

GyverMac posted:

The Wargame series, Company of Heroes 2, AI War, Planetary Annihilation (barf), Sins of a Solar Empire and some scattered indie games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MrBims posted:

The Wargame series, Company of Heroes 2, Planetary Annihilation (barf), Sins of a Solar Empire and some scattered indie games.

That was bad? I almost bought when it was $6 simply because I remember it being $90 when it came out. I didn't because I hadn't heard anything about it at all.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Len posted:

That was bad? I almost bought when it was $6 simply because I remember it being $90 when it came out. I didn't because I hadn't heard anything about it at all.

It is six dollars just four months after 'release' for good reason. The multiple-planets aspect of the game is deeply flawed, where it is so difficult to ascertain what is happening across planets at any given moment and control multiple armies and directions of attack that everyone just played with two planets max. When you remove that feature, the game was a barebones Total Annihilation clone where micromanagement and smart army composition were discouraged by high lethality, low health combat and the perfectly spherical, flat-terrain planets denied any possibility for varied gameplay between matches.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 27, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plus it has more blue water navy than space navy despite multiple planets being the only thing it has going for it.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

My brother was just telling me he was looking for a specific kind of game and a few google searches haven't turned anything up.

He wants a management sim specifically for a college or a university. That's probably much like other sims but the more it has that's specific to higher education, the better. Like if you could start your game in 1810 and actually work through the years to become an esteemed ivy league institution, he'd probably love that. Are there any games like that?

We know that's specific. We won't be surprised if the answer is "no, nothing."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pengu! posted:

I recently picked up an Xbox 360 for Christmas and thought I'd come here for some suggestions on what games I should get for the system. Basically, I'm looking for games that you simply cannot get on Steam, so anything that is only available on Origin otherwise is a perfectly fine suggestion. So far, I've picked up Skate 3, SSX, Halo 3 and Reach, Red Dead Redemption, and Bayonetta. My brother and I are pretty open with genres, and we'll play pretty much anything.

Check out Vanquish; it's a third person shooter by the same people as Bayonetta and is really great. It uses cover as more of a place where you take a brief rest before leaping out and charging in with your rocket boots rather than a spot where you basically just pop out and trade shots with enemies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Check out Vanquish; it's a third person shooter by the same people as Bayonetta and is really great. It uses cover as more of a place where you take a brief rest before leaping out and charging in with your rocket boots rather than a spot where you basically just pop out and trade shots with enemies.

Haha. I knew I would be beat on this. This is the correct answer though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hydrocodone posted:

My brother was just telling me he was looking for a specific kind of game and a few google searches haven't turned anything up.

He wants a management sim specifically for a college or a university. That's probably much like other sims but the more it has that's specific to higher education, the better. Like if you could start your game in 1810 and actually work through the years to become an esteemed ivy league institution, he'd probably love that. Are there any games like that?

We know that's specific. We won't be surprised if the answer is "no, nothing."

Would you be surprised if the answer is "Yes, there is?" The guy who made Capitalism II made Virtual U in 2002. Apparently it's like SimHealth which means it might not be any fun at all, but considering how esoteric the request is...

quote:

Virtual U is a unique and realistic "university management simulation" - the first and so far the only game of its kind. Designed to foster better understanding of management practices in U.S. colleges and universities, Virtual U provides educators and everyone else a unique opportunity to step into the decision-making shoes of a university president. As president, you will be responsible for establishing and monitoring all the major components of a higher learning institution, including everything from faculty salaries to campus parking.

The official site is no longer up, but the game was freeware in the first place as part of the serious/educational games movement so you should be able to find it online somewhere

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a Trade / Ship boarding game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wrong thread

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 28, 2014

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Would you be surprised if the answer is "Yes, there is?" The guy who made Capitalism II made Virtual U in 2002. Apparently it's like SimHealth which means it might not be any fun at all, but considering how esoteric the request is...

The official site is no longer up, but the game was freeware in the first place as part of the serious/educational games movement so you should be able to find it online somewhere

We ARE surprised! And we'll check it out. Thank you very much!

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
So... I went to Half Price Books and got three very heavily discounted PC games.

Oh mighty Goons, please tell me what game I should play first?

Game A:
Elven Legacy - A Fantasy Strategy Game
It's some kind of anti-human turn based strategy game. Full 3D graphics and it has a dragon on the back.
Goons, should I take part in the great war to do what the robots couldn't, destroy all humans?

Game 1:
SpellForge: Platinum Edition*
*Umm... apparently I didn't buy the full game. I actually Bout the expansion, Shadow of the Phoenix. So I went on Steam and bought the full game for $4 w/ all expansions. So, yea...
This is some kind of Elder Scrolls knock off. It looks fun and you fight giant beetles. So it has that going for it.
Goons, should I build a mighty warrior and go slay beetles?

Game Other:
Battle Forge**
**Well, poo poo. This game looked cool and poo poo but EA says otherwise. Anyone know a good server emulator for this since EA shut down the official one?
This is a RTS card game where you play cards that summon units, cast spells, or buff poo poo. Looks cook but all the servers are dead.
Goons, should I find a server emulator and play this game even though no one plays it anymore?

You have until the first two games are installed to decide what game I should play.

Alternatively, recommend me a game from my Steam wishlist: Creen's Wishlist

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 28, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Two Feet From Bread posted:

So... I went to Half Price Books and got three very heavily discounted PC games.

Oh mighty Goons, please tell me what game I should play first?

Game A:
Elven Legacy - A Fantasy Strategy Game
It's some kind of anti-human turn based strategy game. Full 3D graphics and it has a dragon on the back.
Goons, should I take part in the great war to do what the robots couldn't, destroy all humans?

Game 1:
SpellForge: Platinum Edition*
*Umm... apparently I didn't buy the full game. I actually Bout the expansion, Shadow of the Phoenix. So I went on Steam and bought the full game for $4 w/ all expansions. So, yea...
This is some kind of Elder Scrolls knock off. It looks fun and you fight giant beetles. So it has that going for it.
Goons, should I build a mighty warrior and go slay beetles?

Game Other:
Battle Forge**
**Well, poo poo. This game looked cool and poo poo but EA says otherwise. Anyone know a good server emulator for this since EA shut down the official one?
This is a RTS card game where you play cards that summon units, cast spells, or buff poo poo. Looks cook but all the servers are dead.
Goons, should I find a server emulator and play this game even though no one plays it anymore?

You have until the first two games are installed to decide what game I should play.

Alternatively, recommend me a game from my Steam wishlist: Creen's Wishlist

This is a really annoying way to post

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

I'm looking for a game with mechanics and preferably visual style similar to Dust: An Elysian Tail, with at least a moderately compelling story. The graphics, combat mechanics and exploration/platforming hit just the right note of fun for me, but it's an awfully short game.

Basically an action Metroidvania without too dark an atmosphere. Abyss Odyssey's been showing up in my Steam recommendations and looks potentially interesting, but a lot of reviews complain about clunky controls (might have been patched?) and the procedurally-generated levels being very samey (which would rule out the platforming aspect I liked from Dust), so I don't know if that's worthwhile.

Would prefer PC but 3DS is also acceptable.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Echo Cian posted:

I'm looking for a game with mechanics and preferably visual style similar to Dust: An Elysian Tail, with at least a moderately compelling story. The graphics, combat mechanics and exploration/platforming hit just the right note of fun for me, but it's an awfully short game.

Basically an action Metroidvania without too dark an atmosphere. Abyss Odyssey's been showing up in my Steam recommendations and looks potentially interesting, but a lot of reviews complain about clunky controls (might have been patched?) and the procedurally-generated levels being very samey (which would rule out the platforming aspect I liked from Dust), so I don't know if that's worthwhile.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City is almost always spoken in tandem with Dust. You might want to check that out. It's got some BS to some of the enemy placement, such as a super hard boss you stumble upon, but some people seem to like that and others don't.

Oh poo poo motherfucking Guacamelee! I almost forgot about that, people complain about memes but it's like a face in the background and that's about it, memes are never the main jokes or anything. THe combat is grand, platforming is great, and it's mexican day of the dead type mythology.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/275390/ No idea what gold version offers over the other.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 29, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Echo Cian posted:

Muramasa in Dolphin, perhaps?

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?

DrThief posted:

Any recommendations for first or third person tactical shooters with some form of squad control?

Holy crap, i was about to ask the same exact question. I was thinking of a system more like Battlefield 2's commander thing, though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone make a Pro's Con's case for buying Grimrock 2? (I've never played Grimrock 1)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thoughts on Wasteland 2? I didn't hear anything about it after it came out.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Len posted:

It's good, but very oldschool. It's entirely possible to create a completely garbage party that you simply cannot win the game with. That being said, if you like CRPG's, it's definitely one of the best of 2014.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Filippo Corridoni posted:

Holy crap, i was about to ask the same exact question. I was thinking of a system more like Battlefield 2's commander thing, though.

Natural Selection 2 is probably the closest you're gonna get.

Otherwise same advise as that guy, Valkyria Chronicles and The Bureau.

Len posted:

Its okay, it feels like a 3D Fallout 1 or 2. (NOT Fallout3) Its very rough around the edges and can't hold a candle to a polished RPG like Dragon Age, but its got its charm and its pretty playable and fun. Feels very much like Fallout 1 or Baldur's Gate but in 3D.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pengu! posted:

It's good, but very oldschool. It's entirely possible to create a completely garbage party that you simply cannot win the game with. That being said, if you like CRPG's, it's definitely one of the best of 2014.

Yeah, Divinity: Original Sin edges it out for me (mostly due to better combat and a much nicer look) but Wasteland 2 is stll one of the better ones of the year.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is running a party in Wasteland 2 pretty much mandatory, then? I never used companions in Fallout 1 / 2, apart from Dogmeat once in a while.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is running a party in Wasteland 2 pretty much mandatory, then? I never used companions in Fallout 1 / 2, apart from Dogmeat once in a while.

There are NPC party members, but you can create up to 4 of your own characters, stats and all. I'm not sure whether or not you can run the game solo though, for various reasons including the number of different skill checks in the game and the amount of enemies you can face at any given moment.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What are some good recent 2D side scrolling platformers that don't have the stupid "floaty" physics? I own a gaming PC, PS3, and a 3DS.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Valdis Story: Abyssal City and Guacamelee
I already have Guacamelee from a Humble Bundle actually, I'd forgotten about it. Guess that'll be my next game to play. Valdis Story appeared in my recs too, that looks more promising than the other one Steam keeps shoving at me.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Muramasa in Dolphin, perhaps?
Oh, I have a Wii too, just don't play it much. Will look into that.
Thanks for the suggestions.

spasticColon posted:

What are some good recent 2D side scrolling platformers that don't have the stupid "floaty" physics? I own a gaming PC, PS3, and a 3DS.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by floaty physics, but I liked the platforming in Dust: An Elysian Tail (PC), and platforming usually isn't my forte outside of (actual) Metroidvanias. The jumping stood out to me for feeling nicely solid. Maybe the other suggestions I quoted would suit you, too. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

spasticColon posted:

Rogue Legacy is amazing but I guess that counts as floaty?

Yeah what does floaty mean exactly? Examples? Like Mario 2 Peach or what?

Echo Cian posted:

I already have Guacamelee from a Humble Bundle actually, I'd forgotten about it. Guess that'll be my next game to play. Valdis Story appeared in my recs too, that looks more promising than the other one Steam keeps shoving at me.

Guacamelee is a criminally underrated metroidvania. Play it.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I just got my wife into Civilization V and we've been having a blast playing together; however, the long game lengths combined with the one-more-turn addictive qualities makes it easy to accidentally spend like 5-6 hours playing in a night.

Can anyone recommend a strategy game where matches can be finished in one sitting (e.g., an hour or so)? Cooperative play is important. I'm open to either turn-based or real-time strategy, but when I think of real-time strategy games like Starcraft, I'm afraid of scaring the wife off with the hardcore apm-centric mechanics.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

giogadi posted:

Can anyone recommend a strategy game where matches can be finished in one sitting (e.g., an hour or so)? Cooperative play is important. I'm open to either turn-based or real-time strategy, but when I think of real-time strategy games like Starcraft, I'm afraid of scaring the wife off with the hardcore apm-centric mechanics.

I'm very "build, research, and defend" and my husband is very "crush them beneath my heel", and we had a lot of fun playing Company of Heroes. I'd be tank company and sit back building bases, reinforcing bridges, and amassing a fleet of tanks... and he'd be airborne company and parachute in to blow poo poo up until it was time to send the wave of tanks in to crush the germans :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tagra posted:

I'm very "build, research, and defend" and my husband is very "crush them beneath my heel", and we had a lot of fun playing Company of Heroes. I'd be tank company and sit back building bases, reinforcing bridges, and amassing a fleet of tanks... and he'd be airborne company and parachute in to blow poo poo up until it was time to send the wave of tanks in to crush the germans :v:

Company of heroes is amazing and is the keystone of "RTS not like Starcraft" (Or C&C) and definitely worth a look for everybody. Dawn of War I/II is the same thing, if you like 40k.

giogadi posted:

I just got my wife into Civilization V and we've been having a blast playing together; however, the long game lengths combined with the one-more-turn addictive qualities makes it easy to accidentally spend like 5-6 hours playing in a night.

You would probably both love Age of Wonders 3 and all the Heroes of Might and Magic games if you haven't already played them, but they're not exactly short either.

"One more turn" games tend to run hours and hours and hours kinda as a rule. So if you want something that ends neatly, you probably want RTS.

I would agree with Tagra and say CoH is amazing. After that, maybe something like Age of Empires II? Less Micro tactics and more Macro strategy.

Also maybe more of a city builder style game? the Anno series is really good fun with a focus on base building and little or no combat based on how you set it up. The most recent, 1404 ("Dawn of Discovery" in the US) and 2070 are both excellent. They feel like the old Caesar/Zeus games if you ever played those, kinda Simcity.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

If you want something a little different, "Don't Starve" has released a co-op mode (still in beta/early access) called "Don't Starve Together" which is pretty awesome multiplayer. You do need a high tolerance for "Oh god dammit I hosed up and died and we need to start over..." which may not be the right cup of tea.

Along those same lines, you could try building a base together in 7 Days to Die. Resource collecting/building is great for differing play styles. But it's not exactly something you finish in one hour either (but easier to stop and come back to!)

The Forest has a sort-of-kind-of working co-op mode now too but it just resulted in us hiding in a tree watching cannibals running back and forth below us because their AI and pathfinding is pretty awful, so maybe let it cook a bit longer...

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm looking for a shooty shooty bang bang but with a really oppressive survival horror atmosphere. Would the Evil Within cater to that?

I've been trying to play silent hill 2 but it's just too slow, plus this is the HD remake for the ps3 so :barf:.

I'd like a survival horror with a faster pace and the ability to actually kill enemies. Dead Space 1 is all I've got. And it's not exactly scary enough anymore, I've replayed it a billion times. Penumbra is a bit too slow and clunky but it's fairly close. If anything I'd like dealing with enemies to be as frantic as possible.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 31, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm looking for a shooty shooty bang bang but with a really oppressive survival horror atmosphere. Would the Evil Within cater to that?

I've been trying to play silent hill 2 but it's just too slow, plus this is the HD remake for the ps3 so :barf:.

I'd like a survival horror with a faster pace and the ability to actually kill enemies. Dead Space 1 is all I've got. And it's not exactly scary enough anymore, I've replayed it a billion times. Penumbra is a bit too slow and clunky but it's fairly close. If anything I'd like dealing with enemies to be as frantic as possible.

Get yourself to STALKER as soon as physically possible.
Any of the series will do. CoP was the last and my first, but starting with the first may be better. Then again CoP is a little more polished? And there's lots of mods, but you may be best starting vanilla at first.

After that Metro 2033 and Last Light are pretty good.

But dude, play some STALKER like now.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Stalker is far from it. Overall it's fairly bland atmosphere wise. Metro on the other hand hits the nail right on the head.

People say, play misery, play lost alpha with misery mod... It's all the same stuff I've been playing since 07 just with prettier effects. Stalker's atmosphere is fairly transparent. There is one CoP mod I'm waiting for.

CoP's major downfall was that it only had three maps. I don't care even if it's more space than the previous game worlds, CoP just feels way too small. But it's on the most stable engine.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 31, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

RE4 is frantic and shooty shooty kicky, but not quite that oppressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Bouchacha posted:

RE4 is frantic and shooty shooty kicky, but not quite that oppressive.

That's why I bring up The Evil Within.

Also Metro hits it right on the spot.