Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

warcrimes posted:

Wilson is still taller and way more athletic than Manziel.

Manziel is taller and their combine stats were very close with Johnny being better at broad jump, shuttle, and 3-Cone drills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Volkerball posted:

Did you watch anything of him in college? Arguing about whether he can translate it to the NFL is a separate thing. Dude is wriggly as gently caress.

Lol what? All that matters is how he translates in the NFL, who cares about college? I've been saying this entire time that his skills in college won't translate to the NFL game, I don't care how wriggly as gently caress he was v. Missouri's LBs. Maybe we're debating two different things, I don't know, all I'm saying is Manziel is never going to amount to anything in the NFL.

When the coaching staff has to come wake you up because you overslept and missed PT because you were out drinking all night isn't going to make him a better football player, either.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Volkerball posted:

He lost his poo poo out there though, and that's concerning, especially if he goes early and is expected to play for a poo poo team where bad things are going to happen.

This is the big thing.

I think if you sat him and worked him for a season or two he could be something good/great. If you want to tell me the guy we saw this season is going to be ready and successful in the NFL in eight months I am really skeptical.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Volkerball posted:

He really struggled early on, and seemed like he couldn't get on target with anything other than screens, but you can't put the whole game on him. There were a few of those passes that, had they been better placed, the receiver would've had an easier job not fumbling it, but NFL guys can generally hold on to the drat ball in those situations. It got pretty ridiculous. He lost his poo poo out there though, and that's concerning, especially if he goes early and is expected to play for a poo poo team where bad things are going to happen.

I can see why he would get so frustrated, they were really outplaying Oregon at times and kept getting killed by random fumbles. And then zero help from the defense.

Physically I think he has it all to succeed, (except the eyes) reminds me of Leftwich a bit too. But mentally he is a mess.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Oregon's defense was absolutely swarming this game and a lot of quality NFL prospects would be panicking there. Oregon's defense was just ripping balls and delivering nasty hits everywhere, and their d-line absolutely dominated FSU's o-line. I hope the gametape comes out soon because I want to see how Mariota fared while Oregon was ahead.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Doltos posted:

I think Oregon's defense was absolutely swarming this game and a lot of quality NFL prospects would be panicking there. Oregon's defense was just ripping balls and delivering nasty hits everywhere, and their d-line absolutely dominated FSU's o-line. I hope the gametape comes out soon because I want to see how Mariota fared while Oregon was ahead.

Jameis dropped back to pass with like 7+ seconds multiple times and FSU ran for like 100+ in the first half. I turned the game off after the ridiculous fumble for a td so I have no idea what happened afterwards when things got super desperate

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Brady throws tantrums and screams at people whenever things go badly and he seems to do OK. Winston is the most pro ready prospect you're going to get short of manning/luck

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Alouicious posted:

is ezekiel elliot eligible

Nope. True sophomore :smugdog:

Mike Bennett might have worked his way into the first round. IDK if the Steelers could use him, but he might have enough punch to be an effective 3-4 DE, even though he really should be a 1-tech 4-3 DT.

Otherwise, Doran Grant is a day 2/day 3 pick at Corner, and he might have helped his case out a touch with this game. Heurman was a blocker all game and didn't help himself. Devin Smith is going somewhere in the 2nd-4th range though. His deep ball skills are elite, and he's fast. Some NFL WRs coach will convince himself that he can make the guy learn short and intermediate route running just based on the raw ability the guy has.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

warcrimes posted:

Lol what? All that matters is how he translates in the NFL, who cares about college? I've been saying this entire time that his skills in college won't translate to the NFL game, I don't care how wriggly as gently caress he was v. Missouri's LBs. Maybe we're debating two different things, I don't know, all I'm saying is Manziel is never going to amount to anything in the NFL.

When the coaching staff has to come wake you up because you overslept and missed PT because you were out drinking all night isn't going to make him a better football player, either.

I'm not sold he will be, but he does have some tools that can translate to the pro game. He has a small sample size in the NFL, but he still showed he can be elusive on the ground. He broke a bunch of first down runs, and had a solid ground game against the Bears (admittedly terrible defense). There's no doubt he can use his agility to find lanes and run with it, but he has to be able to pass for that to work. Not to mention, he needs to be able to pass what with being a quarterback and all. His ability to read a defense and find open men is about worst case scenario bad. And considering that's a "put your nose in the playbook" kind of problem, I'm not confident it's going to change soon. Not to mention his durability is obviously still a big question mark.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Doltos posted:

This absolutely did not happen at all. The Oregon defense was typically soft bend but don't break and the line got dominated

What nasty hits did come were after easy 8-12 yeard gains on the reg.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

FSU's defense quit, and it's noticeable at the end. Especially on that 20 or so yard TD run he had. There was no one anywhere. I'm more interested in that 3rd quarter, although my initial impression was that Carrington kid and 81, the TE, made those quick drives possible.

joe football posted:

Brady throws tantrums and screams at people whenever things go badly and he seems to do OK. Winston is the most pro ready prospect you're going to get short of manning/luck

There's angry losing your poo poo, and there's "holy gently caress I'm in over my head" losing your poo poo, and the latter is worrying.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FSU handed a lot of turnovers right to Oregon, but it's hard to say that the defense caused it because they were literally just dropping the ball untouched or throwing it straight to an Oregon defender on the first contact. But the offense definitely capitalized.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Volkerball posted:

There's angry losing your poo poo, and there's "holy gently caress I'm in over my head" losing your poo poo, and the latter is worrying.

Yeah his problem wasn't yelling at his teammates, it was how he visibly performed once things were getting really bad. The deeper in the hole they got, the more he clearly was losing his focus and making bad decisions. The turnovers that were his fault were all after the team started losing and were all from rush decisions, dumb actions. I mean. hell, his own coach was calling him out for it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NippleFloss posted:

FSU handed a lot of turnovers right to Oregon, but it's hard to say that the defense caused it because they were literally just dropping the ball untouched or throwing it straight to an Oregon defender on the first contact. But the offense definitely capitalized.

Some of it was bad luck, but some of it was sloppy play by the receivers.

At the end of the day it was just that Oregon could score more reliably than FSU for whatever reason and the team gave up after they were 2 scores behind or so.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah his problem wasn't yelling at his teammates, it was how he visibly performed once things were getting really bad. The deeper in the hole they got, the more he clearly was losing his focus and making bad decisions. The turnovers that were his fault were all after the team started losing and were all from rush decisions, dumb actions. I mean. hell, his own coach was calling him out for it.

To be fair to him, he can't even legally drink yet. Although google tells me his birthday is on Tuesday. Too bad he can't legally walk into a bar and drown his sorrows in a bottle of jack this weekend. He'll have to wait for the next one. :v:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Which turnovers were his fault? He had one INT that the WR dropped right into the Oregon defender. I'll give you the fumble on the scramble play in which he slipped trying to make a throw. So one bad turnover.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

wandler20 posted:

Which turnovers were his fault? He had one INT that the WR dropped right into the Oregon defender. I'll give you the fumble on the scramble play in which he slipped trying to make a throw. So one bad turnover.

I don't have clips to go through but I remember a pretty bad one immediately preceding the "calm down or get benched" speech that was on him.

Maybe I was wrong though, I wasn't really assigning blame to each turnover at the time as much as laughing at them.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Cyrus Jones looked very good in today's game. Is he considered the top corner prospect?

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

wheez the roux posted:

hopefully winston can redefine draft bust. ryan leaf was 17 years ago its time for someone new to take the throne

Considering what they gave up for him RG3 has to be in consideration

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Winkie01 posted:

Considering what they gave up for him RG3 has to be in consideration

He had a good season though

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Volkerball posted:

To be fair to him, he can't even legally drink yet. Although google tells me his birthday is on Tuesday. Too bad he can't legally walk into a bar and drown his sorrows in a bottle of jack this weekend. He'll have to wait for the next one. :v:

Laffo if you think he isn't getting drunk anyway with little to no effort in procuring alcohol.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
If Winston does bust, at what point do FSU quarterbacks become undraftable in early rounds?

It'd be a pretty amazing cautionary tale right after Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel all two years apart.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NippleFloss posted:

Though it should be mentioned that as things got worse, Winston's accuracy just loving tanked.

It was weird, it wasn't just him forcing things to try and get back, balls he was hitting earlier were going in random directions.

I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Shrimpy posted:

If Winston does bust, at what point do FSU quarterbacks become undraftable in early rounds?

It'd be a pretty amazing cautionary tale right after Christian Ponder and EJ Manuel all two years apart.
Never. I assume that NFL teams aren't stupid enough to take things like that into consideration.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Wolfy posted:

Never. I assume that NFL teams aren't stupid enough to take things like that into consideration.

You root for the Raiders and still assume this?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's get back to the real topic at hand

Danny Shelton, Hau'oli Kikaha and Shaq Thompson are gonna own the poo poo out of Ok St. in the Catcus Bowl, and y'all will love whichever one you draft

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Shrimpy posted:

Laffo if you had any faith in those two clown shoes

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This thread is bordering on QBWINS revisionism. I realize this is a function of the Oregon offense but like 22 of Mariota's 26 completions were on screen passes, and at least in the first half, his accuracy on anything above intermediate depth was an adventure.

It'll be interesting to if whichever team drafts him decides to tailor their offense to his talent or force him into their pre-existing one. It might get ugly if it's the latter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

This thread is bordering on QBWINS revisionism. I realize this is a function of the Oregon offense but like 22 of Mariota's 26 completions were on screen passes, and at least in the first half, his accuracy on anything above intermediate depth was an adventure.

It'll be interesting to if whichever team drafts him decides to tailor their offense to his talent or force him into their pre-existing one. It might get ugly if it's the latter.

I still think Winston is better but I thought the exact same thing as this about Derek Carr and he at least shows signs of being better than that... So you never know once you get a guy into an NFL offense.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Winston said after the game that he wants to play baseball in the spring. If he does that, he'll be ineligible for this draft and be playing at least one more year of college football.

How much teams' plans does this gently caress over

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chris James 2 posted:

Winston said after the game that he wants to play baseball in the spring. If he does that, he'll be ineligible for this draft and be playing at least one more year of college football.

How much teams' plans does this gently caress over

Not the Bucs

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mariotta was hilariously inaccurate last night

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Winston is taking that loss so personally that he's not even going to ask the draft advisory board for an evaluation.

Make of that what you will.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Shrimpy posted:

Both of those guys were significant worse in college and got overdrafted based on physical ability by QB desperate teams.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

MourningView posted:

Both of those guys were significant worse in college and got overdrafted based on physical ability by QB desperate teams.

Also, weren't those both terrible QB classes?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sataere posted:

Also, weren't those both terrible QB classes?

EJ's was, but Ponders class had two QB's who were possibly going #1 overall right up until the end. It was a really hyped up class, although it didn't really pan out. They just really liked Ponder, and he was their guy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami had ponder at 15 that year and would have taken him. That would have likely meant no pouncey and no Tannehill

Yikes.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Miami had ponder at 15 that year and would have taken him. That would have likely meant no pouncey and no Tannehill

Yikes.

Really? I remember the story at the draft was that he was a late 1st rounder, and more likely a second rounder. That sort of justifies the Vikings not trading down I suppose, which seemed like the stupidest thing ever at the time.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Volkerball posted:

Really? I remember the story at the draft was that he was a late 1st rounder, and more likely a second rounder. That sort of justifies the Vikings not trading down I suppose, which seemed like the stupidest thing ever at the time.

He got picked up on the tail end of a run for drafting QBs. If you needed one, they were going fast, so you'd have to pounce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FSU Jr DE. Mario Edwards is entering the draft. He's a 3-4 DE that adds/drops weight as needed (has gone from 270 - 310 depending on what's asked of him). Has played everywhere on the line besides Nose Tackle

• Locked thread