Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Sectopods' automatic reactive shot is such bullshit when you first run into it. You see them go into overwatch when you trigger them and think okay, they work like anyone else.

But then they don't Overwatch and still reaction shot. They just overwatched because they couldn't run for cover. Pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Woo, new update!

Also, my condolences about your Oilers, Guava. I, too, have had a team finish bottom of the league...

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I was annoyed you didn't bring me along, but then I saw how those engagements caught you out and I was suddenly glad I wasn't on this one. I think those hits Sprahl took would have killed me.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Why have I never heard of a beer advent calendar before?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think our new Etherial friend's name is "Interrogatehimimmediatelyfortheresearchcredits"

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Edgar just wants to give friendly hugs to everyone!

Hope your shoulder fixes up alright, Jade.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
When sectopods fire their main cannon as the last action of their turn, that grants them a free Overwatch. It is bullshit, but it is intentional and sticks to that rule, so at least you can account for it once you figure it out. (Note that there used to be a bug where if you used a Disabling Shot on a Sectopod with a free Overwatch available, it would take that shot over and over on every square of movement it could see until its next turn. God that was horrible.)

The biggest pain in the rear end about Ethereals is that they have a chance to reflect shots back at you (at 1/4 or 1/3 strength, thankfully) and take no damage from it. There are only four ways I know of to bypass this:

1. Squadsight. As far as I can tell, they can't reflect to where they can't see, so it doesn't trigger when you're shooting from halfway across the map.
2. Shotgun Rapid Fire. Even if the first shot is reflected, the second shot will catch them clean in the face, cancelling the reflection (because it has a longer animation than RF's refire) and doing damage on the second shot. This is probably a bug, but I don't care because it looks super awesome. Does not work with Bullet Swarm, Double Tap, or Overdrive, as you won't be allowed to enter the command for the second shot with those skills until the reflection is done.
3. A successful Mindfray. Much harder than the other two to pull off, but it will take down their reflecting shield AND the mind shield that keeps them from being mind-controlled until they're mindfrayed (important for an achievement).
4. Don't shoot them. Explosives, booshes, maybe Mayhem-enhanced Suppression, and anything else that doesn't involve direct fire can't trigger a projectile reflection to the attacker.

I think that once you've successfully damaged them once, the shield drops and you can fire at will, but it's been so long since I've done anything besides boosh, rapid fire, squadsight, or explode them that I don't remember anymore.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 2, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Now that the Sectopod's appeared, I'll reveal how Ricky got his mask (as shown to Jade in my trooper app).

http://imgur.com/WVF8DiP (technically :nws:)

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Bill Nye the Etheral Guy cause I feel like being a dork.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The ethereal looks like a Pierre to me.

There's a moment in that video, when they're unloading the glowey thing, where it looks exactly as if Shen wants to shiv Vahlen in the kidneys.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Jade Star posted:

Operation Fanatic Bollocks

YouTube posted:

The Definitive X-Com Commanders Guide, Volume 38 - Operation Fantaic Bollocks
Fix your title Jade. :colbert:

Also that was an awesome Xmas Sectoidmas holiday update – thanks, guys! Holy hell are sectopods monstrous in this game. :stare:

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 2, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
That title just had to be in the UK mission.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nøgne do some nice beers, that sounds like a good advent calender.

They do a sake too, but I've never tried it. Only place I've seen it was charging extortionate amounts.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

GrimRevenant posted:

Fix your title Jade. :colbert:

Man, what you got against Fanta?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
'Nøgne Ø' does mean 'naked isle', but it's actually danish and named after a phrase in the norwegian---we wrote in danish back then---poem 'Terje Vigen', written by Henrik Ibsen, a famed playwright.

And since it's now been mentioned by proxy, there's an english translation here, for anyone curious. It doesn't have quite the zest of the original language, but it's true to the spirit of the poem and spins a rather fantastic yarn.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.
...well, I just learned something about XCOM. Thanks.

I think it's time for Operation OH YEAH!, in which every room is entered by BOOSHing somebody from through a wall. What do you think?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Wait, isn't there a cutscene for punching a sectopod? Why didn't it play? It's one of the greatest animations in this entire game, you got ROBBED

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I just caught up on like 7 of these episodes since I fell behind during the semester. That last one was awesome. Since it seems to be root beer time quite often, let me share a stupid anecdote about root beer.

While visiting a friend up in Boston, we swung by a Trader Joes (iirc) to grab something to make for dinner. We saw something listed as a microbrew root beer, called Virgil's. Now, none of us drink alcohol much or at all, but we were all laughing at the concept of that, and the idea of root beer snobs and such. We picked it up for a lark, joking about what meals to pair it with and such. Well, the joke was on us: it's the best goddamn root beer I ever had in my life. Like, I'm not an expert, but it's so good and smooth. It kicks the crap out of IBC (except in the price department since I think it's like 5 bucks for 4 Virgils). Now it's starting to appear in Stop N Shops, so you might be able to find one out there.

gently caress, now I want one.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Wait, isn't there a cutscene for punching a sectopod? Why didn't it play? It's one of the greatest animations in this entire game, you got ROBBED

They mention it in the video, but it seems like they were too close to a ramp and that stopped the cutscene from playing for some reason.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Obviously, since you're gonna insta-research the Etherealin like 4 days

"Afternoon Tea" is her logical name.

Also, sometimes the cutscene doesn't play. Both with Sectopods and Beserkers the cutscene only plays about half the time.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Jade Star posted:

Those that know me a bit or have watched my streams might know I practice Taekwondo. I broke my shoulder during practice. It's actually really embarrassing that I hurt myself so bad as a 1st degree black belt in front of a class of color belts. The instructor and I were showing off a bit trying to build some confidence in the lower ranks that were being very hesitant or scared to do throws/falls and well, I'm sure this really did not help in that regard.

I'm not even in your class and you're making me regret taking up Judo as a hobby. Glad your back and feeling well medicated better though.

My precious bones. :ohdear:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I say Ethel the Ethereal. And I haven't tried the MEC EMP ability on a sectopod yet, but doesn't that damage people too? I know I used it once to kill a couple thin men in a council mission and I wasn't sure if it does friendly fire as well.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Man, what you got against Fanta?
Ze Germans! :hitler:

e:

Travic posted:

I'm not even in your class and you're making me regret taking up Judo as a hobby. Glad your back and feeling well medicated better though.

My precious bones. :ohdear:
I was thinking of taking up Judo.

Now I'm thinking of taking up Tai Chi. :shobon:

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 2, 2015

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

seaborgium posted:

I say Ethel the Ethereal. And I haven't tried the MEC EMP ability on a sectopod yet, but doesn't that damage people too? I know I used it once to kill a couple thin men in a council mission and I wasn't sure if it does friendly fire as well.

Yeah, it does 5 damage to anything in the area besides the MEC. Sectoids, Thin Men, Drones, XCOM soldiers... :downs: It just doesn't stun anything that isn't mechanical. It also has the very handy and unique ability to be unaffected by the Sectopod's damage reduction iirc.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Magnetic North posted:

While visiting a friend up in Boston, we swung by a Trader Joes (iirc) to grab something to make for dinner. We saw something listed as a microbrew root beer, called Virgil's. Now, none of us drink alcohol much or at all, but we were all laughing at the concept of that, and the idea of root beer snobs and such. We picked it up for a lark, joking about what meals to pair it with and such. Well, the joke was on us: it's the best goddamn root beer I ever had in my life. Like, I'm not an expert, but it's so good and smooth. It kicks the crap out of IBC (except in the price department since I think it's like 5 bucks for 4 Virgils). Now it's starting to appear in Stop N Shops, so you might be able to find one out there.

gently caress, now I want one.
Huh. Their store locator says I can find these in my local grocery store. I'll have to check that out.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
I think we should call our Ethereal friend Geoff

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

That etheral fella looks like an Uri to me.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

That Ethereal looks like Research Credit to team, doctor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Pincushion

Though they wont stop at that.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Yuri. :colbert: because gently caress you, Red Alert 2 is a cherished part of my youth right alongside XCOM.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Yuri. :colbert: because gently caress you, Red Alert 2 is a cherished part of my youth right alongside XCOM.

Someone really needs to lp it and the yuri expansion at some point, the ham in those cutscenes were delicious.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nalesh posted:

Someone really needs to lp it and the yuri expansion at some point, the ham in those cutscenes were delicious.

People keep starting LPs of it and give up 3 missions in for some reason.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

my dad posted:

knowing nothing about it at all.

Kind of like chapter 2 (or 3? can't remember) in the Witcher?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

my dad posted:

Some people are too weakminded to resist Yuri's ham disruptors.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Jade Star posted:

To start off with you absolutely must have a firestorm if you want to shoot the UFO down. I suppose that may not be totally true if you want to burn through 5+ Dodge modules, but lets be sane here.

You'd also need 5+ Tracking modules to make that work.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Edmund "Oily" Ethereal, because it's hopeless and soon to be dead.

RIP Guava's pride.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I never used any modules, and I didn't have trouble with that UFO. Maybe I waited to take it on until I had EMPs? Or I had two Firestorms and used them both? :shrug:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That thing is clearly an Eddy if I ever saw one.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014
Yay, new update.

...and XCOM killed its first sectopod. First two sectopods, in fact. It's a pity the boosh animation didn't trigger.

Sectopods are nasty. They have a bullet-swarm-like ability, although mercifully, they can't use it to shoot at the same target twice. They get free overwatch if they fired as their last action, too. Plus that clusterbomb barrage, which we saw. These can all combine into a situation where, in a single turn, a sectopod fires a load of bombs, fires its cannon twice, and goes into overwatch. Then they got a lot of buffs in the expansion. The 50% damage reduction is new, and they also lost the AoE effect from their main weapons (I'm calling that a buff because it was really easy to exploit against the sectopod.) They also benefit from the HEAT ammo nerf and from the stealth-crit nerf. Just about every sectopod-killing trick we had in the old game won't work any more.

They can also see through stealth, and although they can't target invisible soldiers, they can force-fire on terrain, and they are smart enough to blow away a mimetic skinned soldier's cover. Oh, and guess what? Destroying cover and then shooting the suddenly-visible and cover-less soldier doesn't violate the "can't shoot the same target twice" restriction. Nice!

This is not in any way a complaint. The sectopod is finally what it should be: an alien tank that demands the squad's full attention when it stomps into sight range. (Oh, and they are also infamous for teleporting. Let's hope we don't see that)

I can't really say the same about the other two endgame aliens. The muton elite and its 18 hit points fare poorly in a fistfight with a punchy-MEC. The ethereal has no less than 3 annoying defensive gimmicks - and the MEC punch bypasses all of them. Expect many more booshes.

One other thing: Ethereal interrogation gives a research bonus to everything, so it's always a good idea to switch research to the interrogation, instantly research it, then switch back to whatever you were researching before (which might immediately complete due to the way research credits work). XCOM interrogations have a 100% fatality rate, so I suggest the name: Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FredMSloniker posted:

I never used any modules, and I didn't have trouble with that UFO. Maybe I waited to take it on until I had EMPs? Or I had two Firestorms and used them both? :shrug:

There's basically no reason try with basic interceptors sans bragging rights. Also I must be the only person who doesn't like using the EMPs over the next tier weapon.

• Locked thread