Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Monicro posted:

what on earth

Former SAS mod Albrot made this years ago IIRC, only the site it was hosted on was just that .swf full screen. It ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Merry Marauder posted:

Don't sleep on the Ommegang brewery.

But drink stuff that isn't their Game of Thrones beer because otherwise you'll be stuck talking about it with someone and they'll be the gooniest person imaginable.

Also Jim Edmonds hit a walk-off homer in game 6 in 2004, then made a game saving catch in game 7, but nobody remembers because the Red Sox were doing their thing at the time.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Everyone knows about the BBTF ballot tracker right? I didn't see it posted ITT.

McGwire might get dropped from the ballot this year. Not that it matters really since 2016 is his last year of eligibility under the new rules. But still, what a joke.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The BBWAA and the Hall of Fame are both complete farces but I would say that Mark McGwire's candidacy is far down the list of their sins. I would probably put him in, but I'm a big Hall guy and I've heard well-reasoned arguments to why he's a borderline candidate at best.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Man, I was getting my hopes up for Piazza after seeing Thibs' tracker, where he's sitting at 83%.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

FairGame posted:

But drink stuff that isn't their Game of Thrones beer because otherwise you'll be stuck talking about it with someone and they'll be the gooniest person imaginable.

Also their brewery tour isn't that great. You're better served just hanging out in the bar area and trying every non-got brew.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dennis Eckersley posted:

Man, I was getting my hopes up for Piazza after seeing Thibs' tracker, where he's sitting at 83%.

He'll get in next year at the absolute latest.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I think Thibs is the guy who just straight up ripped off leokitty's HoF tracker

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

I think Thibs is the guy who just straight up ripped off leokitty's HoF tracker

I can barely read his, there's so much poo poo on it. I did pick off this wonderful piece of information about how Art Spander reported his vote to Thibs, though:

quote:

Via email - to the best of his recollection. May have voted Schilling and/or McGwire

I know the guys is old but he can't remember if he voted for 5, 6 or 7 players?:negative:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I've been incredibly insanely busy with work and non-work life stuff that my tracker is ridiculously out of date anyway. But I'm going to update mine tonight and I only keep things I can link to on it. I promise it will continue to be junk free.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

I know the guys is old but he can't remember if he voted for 5, 6 or 7 players?:negative:

Annual reminder that three dudes who write for a golf website have Hall of Fame votes.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Timby posted:

Annual reminder that three dudes who write for a golf website have Hall of Fame votes.

Greg Norman somehow gets into the baseball hall of fame as a write in.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Akileese posted:

Greg Norman somehow gets into the baseball hall of fame as a write in.

psh, that choking motherfucker couldn't get it done when it mattered

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MourningView posted:

psh, that choking motherfucker couldn't get it done when it mattered

But he played the game the right way.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I feel like dudes who wrote about baseball for ten years and moved onto other stuff but kept up with baseball getting to vote isn't a bad thing, especially for candidates who have been on the ballot a while. On the other hand, it feels like none of them wind up actually keeping up with baseball.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

The BBWAA and the Hall of Fame are both complete farces but I would say that Mark McGwire's candidacy is far down the list of their sins. I would probably put him in, but I'm a big Hall guy and I've heard well-reasoned arguments to why he's a borderline candidate at best.

Would you mind explaining those arguments then, because IDGI. Unless you massively nerf McGwire's stats to account for the supposed boost they got from steroids, how is he not one of the greatest power hitters ever? 10th on the HR list, 7th all-time in slugging percentage, best HR/AB ratio ever. Obviously his numbers have to be viewed in the context of the late 90s, but they were ridiculous even then; his OPS+, which adjusts for league average, is tied for 10th all-time. And you can't say he was a compiler or wasn't feared or any of that poo poo. He was rookie of the year, half of the Bash Brothers, and him and Sosa chasing the record is one of the most famous baseball moments of our generation, even if MLB wants to pretend none of it happened.

Maybe he's not one of the 10 best on the current ballot. And he used PEDs and admitted it and for some, that's enough to keep him out of the Hall. But borderline? No way.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
McGwire is super good and deserves to be in. I hate that the steroid narrative gets used against him because he came clean about it and he got vilified for it. I think you could the counter argument that he saved baseball with all his dingers too.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
McGwire had a lot of injury issues, so even though he played for 16 seasons he would have a relatively short career by PA. This also means that his counting stats (including whatever measure of overall value you might favor) are generally lower than you'd expect. Actually, if you disregard the raw HR numbers, McGwire's career stats are extremely similar to Dick Allen (~7500 PA, ~155 wRC+, slightly better defense, slightly worse baserunning). One could argue that the sheer excellence at hitting HR should be accounted for, but on the other hand it's not unreasonable to make some discount for PED use. So ultimately you wind up with a dude where it's reasonable to put him on either side of the line.

(I personally believe pretty strongly that he should be in, but I tend to think that "arguably the greatest pure home run hitter ever" is very meaningful and I'm pretty sure the actual voting rules would disagree.)

e: To be clear I am not trying to advance the false narrative that all McGwire did was hit HRs--he was an awesome all-around hitter--but rather saying that his skill specifically at hitting dingers was especially historic.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 3, 2015

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There's an argument against him, but I think the detractors would be saying that he's a lot more borderline than the conventional thinking about him would suggest, where he would be a 1st ballot lock. I doubt there's any significant number of people that would keep him out for reasons besides steroids.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

There's an argument against him, but I think the detractors would be saying that he's a lot more borderline than the conventional thinking about him would suggest, where he would be a 1st ballot lock. I doubt there's any significant number of people that would keep him out for reasons besides steroids.

If you just went by career and peak WAR, according to BBREF, he's below average for a HoF first baseman but dWAR has at least something to do with that.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I think to leave him out you need to both be relatively low on him and also be a small Hall person, which is reasonable but would likely be a solid minority position if not for ROIDS.

Well, or you have to be a Dave Cameron style troll who reacts to "Mark McGwire is overrated" with "I should say he's not worthy at all and get clicks."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Mike Berardino's ballot.

Bagwell, Biggio, Edgar Martinez, Mussina, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Trammell, Walker, Smoltz.

So I guess this is I want to keep these guys on ballot?

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

bawfuls posted:

It'd be nice if an inductee would use part of his speech to chastise the BBWAA for the clusterfuck that is the current process.

But I suppose that's a pipe dream considering what a personally meaningful moment the whole thing is for the players being inducted.

You could do it civilly. Like, Biggio could go up and be like, "Hey Bagwell is obviously a Hall of Famer too, guys."

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Heaven forbid Jeff Idelson actually do anything to question the BBWAA. Gotta uphold the tradition of past Hall Presidents who do things like resist the induction of black people in the 70s.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

angrygodofjebus posted:

Former SAS mod Albrot made this years ago IIRC, only the site it was hosted on was just that .swf full screen. It ruled.

Yup. And back then, our computers weren't as good so the loop was a little more correctly on the beat.

I still hate Jim Edmonds.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

joshtothemaxx posted:

Heaven forbid Jeff Idelson actually do anything to question the BBWAA. Gotta uphold the tradition of past Hall Presidents who do things like resist the induction of black people in the 70s.

It's not apathy, the Hall is explicitly on the side of the idiot nostalgia crowd.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

You could do it civilly. Like, Biggio could go up and be like, "Hey Bagwell is obviously a Hall of Famer too, guys."

It's not so rare to do it that way, either. Sandberg mentioned Dawson in his speech and Dawson mentioned Raines.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ted Williams called for the induction of Negro Leagues players.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Trammell still owns no matter what and he should get in for hitting a Super Grand Slam.

Anyone who has hit one should get in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

zakharov posted:

Ted Williams called for the induction of Negro Leagues players.
Without him and Bob Feller there wouldn't be any in the Hall, as far as I can tell

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

Trammell still owns no matter what and he should get in for hitting a Super Grand Slam.

Anyone who has hit one should get in.

That'd finally get some Tigers in the Hall, him and Rajai.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Without him and Bob Feller there wouldn't be any in the Hall, as far as I can tell

And Satchel Paige. Without him and the black press there'd be a totally separate Negro wing.

I hope someone rabble rouses this year. Last year was too celebratory and boring.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ken Burns and Buck O'Neil got the second wave in. It was actually meant specifically to get Buck in but then he fell short in the voting because hall of fame voters are huge dummies.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

That second Negro Leagues committee was a huge joke but at least their failure resulted in a huge Buck statue and an award to give away... Every three years that nobody cares about. Fun favt: the trophy costs about $3500.

What time on Tuesday is this poo poo out? And what's everyone's prediction? I'm saying Johnson, Pedro, And Smoltz. Piazza and Biggio get right at 70.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You need 75% to get in so that won't help :v:

Piazza's gonna miss again. Pedro, Randy, Smoltz, Biggio.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I agree with Zak. And piazza will probably miss by only a handful of votes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ESPN released their voting results of eligible HOF voters, and there are some weird results. Like Larry Walker, Sosa, and Sheffield getting zero votes each, but Lee Smith got 3.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...all-fame-ballot

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

ESPN released their voting results of eligible HOF voters, and there are some weird results. Like Larry Walker, Sosa, and Sheffield getting zero votes each, but Lee Smith got 3.

Mussina's vote percentage is a loving crime.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

when's barry bonds going to get into the HoF

e: if barry bonds dies out of it with craig biggio in it there is no justice in the world

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

straight up brolic posted:

when's barry bonds going to get into the HoF

e: if barry bonds dies out of it with craig biggio in it there is no justice in the world

Whenever they get a veterans committee together to fix the steroid era mess, probably. And Craig Biggio deserves to be in the hall of fame, it doesn't need to be an either or thing. I mean if you want to keep out every single person who is worse than Bonds then the hall has at most like three people in it, I dunno why you'd single Biggio out.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 5, 2015

• Locked thread