Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Syncopated posted:

How have the nycfc fans spent money when their team hasn't played a game yet afaik?

Buying tickets and kits and scarves and other merchandise I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Syncopated posted:

How have the nycfc fans spent money when their team hasn't played a game yet afaik?

Scarfs for their secret santa

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Is NYCFC the Star Citizen of football?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Syncopated posted:

Is NYCFC the Star Citizen of football?

Idk what that means.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

fat gay nonce posted:

Scarfs for their secret santa

Did anyone get a NYCFC scarf from TPR secret santa?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
NYCFC haven't kicked a loving football yet I don't get what all the :qq: and fuss is about.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Ninpo posted:

NYCFC haven't kicked a loving football yet I don't get what all the :qq: and fuss is about.

that squarespace account aint free you know, and i dont even want to think how much the third rail have already sunk into a half-finished SUPAH FWANKIO tifo

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eau de MacGowan posted:

that squarespace account aint free you know, and i dont even want to think how much the third rail have already sunk into a half-finished SUPAH FWANKIO tifo

Third Rail? More like the Third Wheel to this glorious Manchester City-Supah Fwank love affair

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Ninpo posted:

People spent money under the very misleading impression that the legendary Fat Frank would be playing in front of them while they devoured fat franks (hot dogs) so they paid a lot of money up front to see the guy who mocked their city and now have deserved second thoughts.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
seeing an old and assuredly nonchalant frank lampard barely attempt to keep up the appearance of a professional athlete in a country he doesnt give a poo poo about in a heinously poor league is motivating as hell for me to buy scarfs and be a big time fan of new york city football club, the newest storied franchise around.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
When people all over the UK are abandoning their local teams for 3 or 4 rich clubs I don't see why people are so offended by new clubs in America.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Plastics are laughable, doesn't matter what side of the Atlantic they're on.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

hadji murad posted:

When people all over the UK are abandoning their local teams for 3 or 4 rich clubs I don't see why people are so offended by new clubs in America.

Is anyone offended by new clubs in America? The posts I can see are laughing at the outrage of fans of a club that doesn't exist yet who hadn't signed a player being angry that the player they hadn't signed isn't playing for them

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

tbp posted:

seeing an old and assuredly nonchalant frank lampard barely attempt to keep up the appearance of a professional athlete in a country he doesnt give a poo poo about in a heinously poor league is motivating as hell for me to buy scarfs and be a big time fan of new york city football club, the newest storied franchise around.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
also as a current resident of New York City i havent seen any people wearing "scarves" "kits" or anything else for this punchline of a team. they did have a pretty extensive bus and phone booth ad campaign for a while last spring/summer though

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

fat gay nonce posted:

Is anyone offended by new clubs in America? The posts I can see are laughing at the outrage of fans of a club that doesn't exist yet who hadn't signed a player being angry that the player they hadn't signed isn't playing for them

I get the impression that you've missed a lot.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

hadji murad posted:

Are people really jumping ship? You might be right that there's bandwagoning from younger fans, I can't imagine too many Port Vale fans have decided to give up Robbie Williams and all the associated glory to be Man City fans instead.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

Are people really jumping ship? You might be right that there's bandwagoning from younger fans, I can't imagine too many Port Vale fans have decided to give up Robbie Williams and all the associated glory to be Man City fans instead.

A certain group seems to be arrogant about anyone that doesn't fit into their fandom concept. Even when many people are sold tickets based on a complete deception they are considered to be in the wrong. That's crazy.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

hadji murad posted:

A certain group seems to be arrogant about anyone that doesn't fit into their fandom concept. Even when many people are sold tickets based on a complete deception they are considered to be in the wrong. That's crazy.

There was no deception.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hadji murad posted:

What, exactly, are you on about?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Post about it in the MLS thread ffs

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

you wont really start seeing the City plastics coming through in the UK until like 10 years from now when all the kids who pick them grow up and become obnoxious. Its whats happened with Chelsea fans, and it happened with even teams like Newcastle in the late 90s

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There was no deception.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Seems like signing Fat Frank has been worth 7 points for City??

Imagine the City Christmas party with big Milner, Joe "Glue gloves" Hart and Fat Frankie.. phwoar

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Whatttttttttttttttttt.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

hadji murad posted:

I get the impression that you've missed a lot.

Please link them then, the only post i can see about how poo poo nycrb are is from flj and he's a bitter plastic upset that united are poo poo

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

idk this seems ambiguous

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

no-one else in this picture is going to be playing for NYCFC either so i dont know why poor old lampy lampard is getting singled out

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I guess Liverpool fans aren't complaining about Steven Gerrard being advertised and not showing up so I'll be quiet.

Ninpo posted:

What, exactly, are you on about?

Peak Ninpo.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

excuse me lady posted:

idk this seems ambiguous

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2014/07/24/welcome-new-york-city-frank-lampard

NYCFC announced today the signing of England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard.

New York City FC, Major League Soccer’s 20th expansion team, is thrilled to announce the signing of England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard. One of the most illustrious and respected English Premier League midfielders of all time, Lampard becomes the team’s fourth team member, as the Club continues to assemble a competitive and dynamic squad ahead of its inaugural season next year.

Lampard, whose signing was officially announced at a community event in Brooklyn Bridge Park this morning, brings with him the highest level of football ability and a wealth of experience to the new franchise which makes its debut in March 2015.

Lampard joins David Villa, Jeb Brovsky and Josh Saunders on the roster at the Club and has signed a two-year contract which starts August 1st. He will wear the number 8 jersey, the number he has worn throughout his decorated career in European football.

“I am really excited about joining New York City FC and helping to play a real part in building something special in one of the sporting capitals of the world,” said Lampard. “The passion of the nation’s fans at the World Cup was second to none and I am looking forward to meeting New Yorkers and tapping into their love of the game. It is a privilege to be able to help make history here in New York City - I just can’t wait to get started and be part of it.”

“It is going to be an exhilarating opportunity for us all to create this fantastic new MLS Club , in a league that is growing quickly in popularity and ability. Hopefully my experience can help us have an impact in my first season. I love a challenge and being competitive and I know everyone at New York City FC does too. I am sure we will make the city and our fans proud.”

The 36-year-old, who captained England in the World Cup in Brazil this summer, is a potent balance of power and poise and is accomplished in both attack and defense. A consummate professional, Lampard played in almost 600 EPL games, including an amazing 164 in succession. He is a three-time winner of the Premier League, has won four FA Cups and captained Chelsea to the club’s first Champions League win in 2012. Lampard was also his former clubs Charity Champion supporting various initiatives, including a scheme to encourage families to read more and improve the literacy of children.

An exceptional goal scorer, Lampard scored in excess of 200 goals for club and country, boasting the enviable accolade of being the Premier League’s highest scoring midfielder ever. A regular name in FIFA, UEFA and Premier League all-star squads, he was also nominated for FIFA World Player of the Year in 2005.
As part of New York City’s ongoing commitment to local communities within New York, immediately after his unveiling press conference Lampard took part in a soccer clinic with 40 local children from the Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy program, run by coaches from the Play Study Win scheme.

Lampard will be working under New York City FC Head Coach Jason Kreis, who has been busy looking for players as the Club aims to build a competitive squad.
“I am really looking forward to working with Frank,” he said. “His leadership, maturity and experience are perfect characteristics for a new Club like ours. He is a rare talent, one that scores a lot of goals from midfield, yet is also a disciplined defender and someone who reads the game brilliantly. A gift for a coach.”

“Frank has a tremendous appetite for the game and that will be an enormous help not only to me and the coaching staff but also the rest of the players, particularly the younger ones who can look up to Frank and attempt to emulate his achievements. He has just come from the World Cup and still very much at the top of his game. His desire and work ethic will be infectious.”

Those words were echoed by NYCFC’s Sporting Director Claudio Reyna, himself a former midfield player in the English Premier League. He added:
“I am delighted Frank has joined us, he was an obvious choice. I have played against him many times and can vouch for his quality. Frank is one of the best midfielders to have played the modern game, a legend in England and hopefully he will become one here, too.”

Season tickets to see Frank Lampard and New York City FC’s inaugural season in MLS are on sale now. Call 855-77-NYCFC or visit https://www.nycfc.com/tickets to order online.

Fans can also purchase their exclusive Frank Lampard New York City FC shirt at nycfc.com/shop, limited supplies are available.
The signing of Lampard follows a sequence of announcements, asserting the intentions of the Club to build an exciting team for the city of New York.
After announcing the inception of the Club in Harlem in 2013, Jason Kreis was unveiled as Head Coach in midtown Manhattan, followed by news from the Bronx that NYCFC will play its inaugural seasons in MLS at the iconic Yankee stadium.

Transaction: New York City FC signs Frank Lampard to a Designated Player contract.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

hadji murad posted:

I guess Liverpool fans aren't complaining about Steven Gerrard being advertised and not showing up so I'll be quiet.

Peak Ninpo.

please could you link those posts

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Eau de MacGowan posted:

no-one else in this picture is going to be playing for NYCFC either so i dont know why poor old lampy lampard is getting singled out

lol

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

trem_two posted:

NYCFC announced today the signing of England National Team and Chelsea FC legend Frank Lampard.

Nowhere here does it say fat frank will play from March.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

ayb posted:

and he mocked september 11th too!

wots all this

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

PirateBob posted:

wots all this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-NYC-team.html

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eau de MacGowan posted:

tbh it's MLS so I'm not sure that this has been established

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

trem_two posted:

They didn't mention his illustrious career as a children's book author

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

trem_two posted:

Frank has a tremendous appetite

The only bit I noticed

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
There are rumors going around that Szczesny had a meltdown in the dressing room after the Southampton match and was given a huge fine.

e: Apparently John Jensen said it on Danish TV and the host of whatever show confirmed that he actually said it (but tbf the tweet is in danish moon speak and i have no clue what it says).

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

blue footed boobie posted:

There are rumors going around that Szczesny had a meltdown in the dressing room after the Southampton match and was given a huge fine.

The only meltdown I want to see him have is when he's fired into the sun. I don't ever want to see him in an Arsenal kit again.

• Locked thread