Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bourque was PPG 13 years in a row.

3 of those (and a 4th one) were in Lidstrom's era too.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Bourque was PPG 13 years in a row.

Yeah, I knew that but was he better defensively than Lidstrom?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

That's true with all of these guys we're talking about, including the aforementioned Bourque.

Lidstrom was ridiculously good but Ray Bourque is the all time leader in shots by like 1000 so I'm pretty sure his corsi/fenwick must have been outrageous most years.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

That's true with all of these guys we're talking about, including the aforementioned Bourque.

yeah i mean bourque is the all time leader in SOG, by a considerable margin, and he was a defenseman.

efb i guess

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, I knew that but was he better defensively than Lidstrom?

part of "being good defensively" is making it unnecessary for your team to have to play in its own zone/the neutral zone

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

a false posted:

part of "being good defensively" is making it unnecessary for your team to have to play in its own zone/the neutral zone

Yeah, absolutely but defending against another teams rush is a real thing and something that one player can be better at than another player also.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
he was good austrin mook ok?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 41m41 minutes ago
#CBJ Scott Hartnell said he did not use profanity when #NHL officials gave him 10-minute. He simply told them they were having an off night.

Or maybe, he joked, "I wished them Happy New Year." #uhhuh

:allears:

It wasn't Tim Peel, unfortunately.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, absolutely but defending against another teams rush is a real thing and something that one player can be better at than another player also.

ray bourque was good at that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man either I'm a lot older than most of you or you all weren't paying very close attention back in the day, Bourque was maybe the most well rounded hockey player to ever play the game and he was pretty easily the third best player of his era.....behind two guys who are usually listed as 1/2 of all time.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

bewbies posted:

man either I'm a lot older than most of you or you all weren't paying very close attention back in the day, Bourque was maybe the most well rounded hockey player to ever play the game and he was pretty easily the third best player of his era.....behind two guys who are usually listed as 1/2 of all time.

Where's the cups?

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

grack posted:

Sharks placed Joe Thornton on IR

RIP Sharks
He's probably only going to miss another game or two, the team said he's going to play later in this trip.

They also said Tyler Kennedy won't play later in this trip but is "getting better", RIP Pignose

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Where's the cups?

Pretty sure you're just trolling but this is a real dumb post. If you can't see the difference between Lidstrom's Wings teams and Bourque's Boston teams then I don't know what to tell you.

It's almost like it's easier to win cups on a dynasty team playing with 4 other Hall of Famers than on a bunch of teams that ranged from bad to average without any other elite players. Ground breaking stuff here

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Just a heads up - Jarome Iginla will win his Cup this season after being traded to the Kings at the deadline (à la Carter, Gaborik).

Unless that only works if the player is coming from the Blue Jackets and/or in even-numbered years. In which case the Kings miss the playoffs entirely.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I prefer Iggy No Cups. Pleads isn't allowed to have any happiness in hockey

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
No Cups Iggy is going to look good in the hall in 2021 (not a first ballot, natch)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress Erik Cole, god bless Patrick Sharp.

Also, what the gently caress Corey Crawford.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Stars hockey team is really playing strong right now. Outshooting the Blackhawks at even strength on the 2nd night of a back to back is a huge accomplishment.

Kari Lehtonen on the other hand seems to be getting worse as the year goes on. I wonder if the Stars ask really nicely if the league will allow them to use one of the compliance buyouts from the last lockout that they never bothered with at the time.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

For getting totally outpossessed and usually playing like poo poo with a lead, I'll take the point. 9-2-1 last 12, start the goddamn rally.

Starsfan posted:

Kari Lehtonen on the other hand seems to be getting worse as the year goes on. I wonder if the Stars ask really nicely if the league will allow them to use one of the compliance buyouts from the last lockout that they never bothered with at the time.

Kind of expected, though. "Our goalie is playing through an injury." *starts him 12 times in a row*

Solid work from Jordan Benn, Jon Klingsmann and Dominic Roussel, as Dave Strader called it.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 5, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

gently caress Erik Cole, god bless Patrick Sharp.

Also, what the gently caress Corey Crawford.

He's an All Star, he doesn't need this poo poo.

Sciserf
Nov 18, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

He's an All Star, he doesn't need this poo poo.

Corey 'loving All Star Crow" Crawford, #CupIn13

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

DOOMocrat posted:

For getting totally outpossessed and usually playing like poo poo with a lead, I'll take the point. 9-2-1 last 12, start the goddamn rally.

Well totally outpossessed might have had something to do with the PP advantage to Chicago. At even strength 5 on 5 in that game the Blackhawks were only +5 in fenwick (40 to 35) and the Stars actually got one more puck through to the net than Chicago. It was a great effort given the circumstances - Dallas 2nd game in two nights and 3rd in 4, Chicago 2 days off since the winter classic game to prepare.

I agree that you can expect a goaltender to struggle in 2 starts on back to back nights, but that goal allowed with 2 minutes left in the game was simply inexcusable. The Hawks hadn't generated a scoring chance in 10 minutes before that and he lets a floater in clean from the corner. Team can't make the playoffs throwing away games like that, it's already hard enough to win when your goaltender is on his game in this league.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Starsfan posted:

The Stars hockey team is really playing strong right now. Outshooting the Blackhawks at even strength on the 2nd night of a back to back is a huge accomplishment.

Chill. You don't buyout a goalie who has been above league average as a starter for the last three years just because he's having an off year.

What most teams would do, is they'd let their backup get more games in, or some promising prospect from the AHL. Unfortunately for the Stars, all of those options are terrible.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
preds blew another lead late but got a point. 3/4 in LA and anaheim is never really a bad thing. and we got to meet mike fisher's biggest fan and see them hug on ice.

http://gfycat.com/FoolishOptimalDromaeosaur

also ribeiro's up to 35 points in 38 games :toot:

Trevor Bird fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 5, 2015

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

toe knee hand posted:

Chill. You don't buyout a goalie who has been above league average as a starter for the last three years just because he's having an off year.

What most teams would do, is they'd let their backup get more games in, or some promising prospect from the AHL. Unfortunately for the Stars, all of those options are terrible.

I'd be fine with an off year but the guy is 31 years old and we're on the hook for what? 4 more years (this is what I used to use cap geek for). It's not exactly uncommon for goaltenders (and any player that isn't a superstar really) to have their games completely fall apart when they get into their 30's.

That contract is going to be an anchor around the Stars' neck these next seasons unless by some miracle they can offload it.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Speaking of anchors, everyone talks about how Toews and Kane making $10.8mil* next year is gonna hurt the Hawks, but they forget Bickell and Crawford making a combined $10mil* :laugh:

*going off memory. I miss capgeek :(

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
what the gently caress capgeek is down now too? i think every single good internet resource for the nhl has gone offline in the last 6 months now.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

The Dirty Burger posted:

Speaking of anchors, everyone talks about how Toews and Kane making $10.8mil* next year is gonna hurt the Hawks, but they forget Bickell and Crawford making a combined $10mil* :laugh:

*going off memory. I miss capgeek :(

nhlnumbers isnt as pretty or intuitive as capgeek but has most of the same numbers

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Tyler "teej" Johnson is good exclamation point.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Since SA was dead for me during the game, Columbus/Colorado was a game full of stupid plays (David Savard with an abhorrent pass into the slot feeding Jarome Iginla for a gimme goal 30 seconds in), stupid goals (David Savard with an abhorrent pass into the slot feeding Jarome Iginla for a gimme goal 30 seconds in), and stupid penalties (Throwing The Stick Onto The Ice is a minor penalty and Colorado did it :eng101:).

But then David Savard blasted the GWG past Varlamov with 1:01 to go in regulation, so I'll take it. 11-3-1 last 15. :getin:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers 2-0-2 since Todd Nelson was named the "for real we mean it interim head coach".

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

MassaShowtime posted:

Oilers 2-0-2 since Todd Nelson was named the "for real we mean it interim head coach".

Go Canes

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Man, so many "bubble" teams need defense, Sekera is actually going to go for a fuckin 1st and prospect. And the Oilers will trade Jeff Petry for a 4th or something

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Zamboni Jesus posted:

what the gently caress capgeek is down now too? i think every single good internet resource for the nhl has gone offline in the last 6 months now.

Coming next season: Rogers (tm) Hockey Stats, all your stats in one place. Monthly subscription required.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

The Dirty Burger posted:

Man, so many "bubble" teams need defense, Sekera is actually going to go for a fuckin 1st and prospect. And the Oilers will trade Jeff Petry for a 4th or something

Sekera is good and merits that return, especially in a world where Paul Gaustad gets traded for a 1st round pick and then re-signed to a 4 year, $13 million deal.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Jagr has been the greatest puck carrier since the invention of television and Zack Lidstorm was so good that the Red Wings had to run to the East to remain a playoff team after he retired, discuss.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

nature6pk posted:

Jagr has been the greatest puck carrier since the invention of television and Zack Lidstorm was so good that the Red Wings had to run to the East to remain a playoff team after he retired, discuss.

Burnaby Joe Sakic built the log cabin he was born in himself and also had the decency to retire while he was still a top center mans instead of dragging his rotting corpse around a bunch of shitstain Eastern Conference teams in his 40s, fuckin' Yammy. Oh yeah he couldn't even score more goals than the one (1) Seguin managed in 2013, so much for chasing Cups.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 5, 2015

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MassaShowtime posted:

to be fair the islanders played like absolute loving dogshit tonight and 3 of their (edmonton's) goals were practically scored by the islanders

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

eXXon posted:

Burnaby Joe Sakic built the log cabin he was born in himself and also had the decency to retire while he was still a top center mans instead of dragging his rotting corpse around a bunch of shitstain Eastern Conference teams in his 40s, fuckin' Yammy. Oh yeah he couldn't even score more goals than the one (1) Seguin managed in 2013, so much for chasing Cups.

joe sakic basically ended his career due to a snow blower mishap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

eXXon posted:

I once got an unmarked envelope in in the mail with only a DVD inside. It was a video of Burnaby Joe Sakic making love to my wife. It was the most beautiful thing I ever seen.

• Locked thread