Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Neif posted:

The short clip in that news article at about the 1min mark shows Tony talking to 'someone' I'm assuming either our RAAF personnel or faceless commando's. While initially I wanted to rage post about what a loving shitlord he is and what the gently caress is he doing over there but I have to say after listening to his words I think it was 'decent' of him to make the trip and tell our guys in person that he appreciates what they are doing.

I'd have to see him storming an IS bunker with our troops before I'd ever vote for him though.

I would dearly love to hear any serviceman with the balls to ask Abbott what the deal with the pay freeze is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Just a reminder that, having followed the timeline of Hollowmen perfectly, we're now into the last episode of season 2: how the gently caress do we get on the news after the new year. Instead of flying to Antarctica, he's flying to Iraq.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

cpaf posted:

Christian crusaders Abbott and Andrews off to the holy land to wage war with the Sunni. What a shame Abbott didn't fall off his horse and drown in a river halfway there

Byzantine jokes are the best jokes.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

I would dearly love to hear any serviceman with the balls to ask Abbott what the deal with the pay freeze is.

He'd probably just roll with :Tonyabbottshithappens.gif:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Seems some dick(s) chucked some metal spikes into the grass at Edinburgh Gardens.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-05/homemade-metal-tacks-found-at-fitzroy-edinburgh-gardens/6000382

Hopefully that doesn't become a thing now. There really is nothing better then walking barefoot at the local park on a nice sunny day. Edinburgh Gardens is one of the closes parks to me as well.

I really do wish people would just stop being assholes all the time, but alas that is probably not to be.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The new NSW Labor Leader is a Catholic who opposes gay marriage and one of his first speeches to parliament was about the Global Islamic Threat? Tell me is this man from the right faction? No, he's from the left? Oh well then. :suicide:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/ethics-classes-provider-appeals-to-public-for-support-20150105-12i1fz.html

More people should do ethics classes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Murodese posted:

Just a reminder that, having followed the timeline of Hollowmen perfectly, we're now into the last episode of season 2: how the gently caress do we get on the news after the new year. Instead of flying to Antarctica, he's flying to Iraq.

It's loving spooky, that's what it is.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Wouldn't want people thinking too hard about why certain things are thought to be bad, who knows what they might realise!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Remember kids. NTATA has forgotten to take press along on this tour of doody so his diligent staff are recording all those candid moments to share with you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/03/cover-ups-and-concern-trolls-actually-it-s-about-ethics-in-suicide-journalism.html

I'm linking a story regarding coverage (or more importantly suppression of coverage) regarding an American transgender girls suicide which may seem unrelated to AusPol but hear me out.

A few years ago on one of the current affairs shows, it might have been Today Tonight or possibly A Current Affair, was going to do a story about a Geelong school that had seen an epidemic in suicide. They were in the media, and to a part posters here, criticised for dangerous journalism because of views of copycat suicides and that to cover suicide is a no-no. I disagreed with this argument then, and have still desired that the suicide rates of HSC students in NSW be released as they are pointedly kept secret because of reasons of preventing copycats. While it was one of the tabloid journalism shows it needed to be talked about but instead the story has flown into the wind.

The article above shows why this argument for safety, even though its is in the US, is complete bullshit.

We need to have a conversation about suicide (youth, LGBT and otherwise) in Australia and the arguments of suppressing it show all the elements of concern trolling that are based on what appears to be rational but instead just maintain the status quo. Copycat arguments are a fear of an outcome from a conversation that do nothing to help those who for all intents and purposes are harming themselves endemically and are to be treated as "mournful losses" that are entirely avoidable.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/03/cover-ups-and-concern-trolls-actually-it-s-about-ethics-in-suicide-journalism.html

I'm linking a story regarding coverage (or more importantly suppression of coverage) regarding an American transgender girls suicide which may seem unrelated to AusPol but hear me out.

Good link, and yeah it makes a powerful point: effectively burying them twice and making sure the issue dies too. It's not good enough.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

A few years ago on one of the current affairs shows, it might have been Today Tonight or possibly A Current Affair, was going to do a story about a Geelong school that had seen an epidemic in suicide. They were in the media, and to a part posters here, criticised for dangerous journalism because of views of copycat suicides and that to cover suicide is a no-no. I disagreed with this argument then, and have still desired that the suicide rates of HSC students in NSW be released as they are pointedly kept secret because of reasons of preventing copycats. While it was one of the tabloid journalism shows it needed to be talked about but instead the story has flown into the wind.

The article above shows why this argument for safety, even though its is in the US, is complete bullshit.

We need to have a conversation about suicide (youth, LGBT and otherwise) in Australia and the arguments of suppressing it show all the elements of concern trolling that are based on what appears to be rational but instead just maintain the status quo. Copycat arguments are a fear of an outcome from a conversation that do nothing to help those who for all intents and purposes are harming themselves endemically and are to be treated as "mournful losses" that are entirely avoidable.

Thanks for linking this article Lid, it was really, really good.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
When you do suicide prevention training one of the biggest points hammered home is that talking about suicidal thoughts is a huge factor in diminishing suicidality.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Thanks for linking this article Lid, it was really, really good.

Thank you, I found some contemporary articles of the story I was referring to regarding the Geelong suicides. Didn't realise it was five years ago and it turns out the show was 60 Minutes so thats less surprising than ACA or TT.

Ultimately the story never aired.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/kennett-blocks-tv-segment-on-teen-suicide-at-geelong-school/story-e6frg6n6-1225759829236

quote:

Kennett blocks TV segment on teen suicide at Geelong school

The Australian
August 10, 2009 12:25PM

Lauren Wilson
Reporter
Canberra

BEYOND Blue chairman Jeff Kennett won an eleventh-hour injunction in the Victorian Supreme Court to block the current affairs program 60 Minutes from airing a segment on teen suicide at a Geelong high school.

In an affidavit filed last night, the former Victorian Premier alleges that Nine Network head David Gyngell reneged on an earlier undertaking to have the segment withdrawn.

In his affidavit, that is to be sworn by 4pm today according to court orders, Mr Kennett said he was concerned the potential for another suicide at the Geelong high school - where four teenagers have taken their own lives in the past six months - was very high.

Mr Kennett said he contacted Mr Gyngell on July 31 and told him of his concerns about the program.

“I said, `it is a matter of very genuine concern to me that teachers and students at the school, as well as the wider community are at risk”', Mr Kennett said in his statement.

Mr Kennett alleges Mr Gyngell said he respected the work of Beyond Blue and proceeded to give his undertaking to withdraw the program.

Mr Kennett says Mr Gyngell called him back later that day and told him the program, which was initially scheduled to screen on Sunday August 2, would not air.

The Nine Network decided however to screen the 60 Minutes segment last night, but before the program went to air Beyond Blue successfully sought an injunction in the Supreme Court.

A spokesman for the Nine Network said there had been a misunderstanding between Mr Kennett and Mr Gyngell. He said Mr Gyngell never gave any open ended undertaking to withdraw the program and had only agreed not to air the segment on that Sunday, August 2.

In a statement released by 60 Minutes this morning, the program's executive producer Hamish Thomson said: “We are extremely disappointed that we were not able to broadcast the story, but we of course fully understand suicide is a deeply sensitive and difficult issue.”

Mr Thomson said 60 Minutes continued to believe the story should be told.

“60 Minutes has the support of the families involved and has consulted with mental health experts in producing the story,” he said.

“We believe our careful and appropriate treatment handles the issue of suicide sensitively, and offers hope to young people in very difficult circumstances.”

The matter is listed to be heard again on Wednesday morning when 60 Minutes will apply to have the injunction lifted.

If you are feeling depressed on contemplating suicide you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800

http://www.smh.com.au/national/nine-agrees-not-to-broadcast-suicide-report-20090812-ehw7.html

quote:

Nine agrees not to broadcast suicide report

Date
August 12, 2009

Kate Hagan

Channel Nine has agreed not to broadcast a 60 Minutes report on a series of suicides at a Geelong school until the matter returns to court next Friday.

Jeff Kennett, the chairman of the anti-depression organisation beyondblue, won a Supreme Court injunction on Sunday to stop the story, "Searching for Answers", going to air.

The Victorian Education Department launched its own court action the following day also seeking to have the material suppressed.

Michael Wheelahan, SC, for Channel Nine, today told Justice Elizabeth Hollingworth, sitting in the practice court, that the broadcaster had reached agreement with the State Government not to air the program or any part of it until the matter returned to court for further arguments on August 21.

He said copies of the program would be provided to the Government and beyondblue.

Mr Wheelehan said Nine had been unable to reach agreement with beyondblue about the wording of the proposed order. He said the broadcaster should not be prevented from responsibly reporting suicide generally.

Ian Waller, SC, for beyondblue, said Nine's proposed orders did not prevent it from producing another current affairs segment, possibly for another program, using its existing knowledge of the Geelong deaths.

Nine and beyondblue are due to continue negotiations on the wording of the orders before returning to court this afternoon.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

Thank you, I found some contemporary articles of the story I was referring to regarding the Geelong suicides. Didn't realise it was five years ago and it turns out the show was 60 Minutes so thats less surprising than ACA or TT.

Ultimately the story never aired.

So for Kennett there's the good depressed people and the mustn't-be-heard-from depressed people. I've been donating to the wrong people all this time :mad:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ewe2 posted:

So for Kennett there's the good depressed people and the mustn't-be-heard-from depressed people. I've been donating to the wrong people all this time :mad:

As much as Kennett is a flog I doubt it was malicious or an attempt to cover anything up. Plenty of media outlets still don't discuss suicides in any great depth so I guess there could well be a number of social workers or psychologists who preach the copycat line.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
More recently (as in other a year ago now)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-21/suicide-geelong-coroner-inquest-media-coverage/5108942

quote:

Victorian coronial inquest into three Geelong youth suicides shines spotlight on media coverage

A Victorian coroner's inquest into three youth suicides at a Geelong high school in 2009 has raised questions about the media's role in reporting suicides.

Concerns over media coverage

The impact on the town from the deaths was profound, but the ensuing media coverage also distressed some residents.

Chanelle's mother, Karen Rae, believes the extensive media coverage following Taylor and Zac's deaths contributed to her daughter's death.

She also told court her family was hounded by the media in the aftermath of her daughter's death.

The department of education reported severe distress to the entire school community after Chanelle's death, compounded by the conduct of some journalists covering the story.

Former Victorian premier and Beyond Blue chairman Jeff Kennett sought to stop Channel Nine's 60 Minutes from airing a story at the time.

"We had complaints from family members, we had complaints from school that some of these journalists were behaving reprehensibly in terms of the suffering that these families were going through at the time, but also it was as though they were actually promoting the deaths," Mr Kennett said.

Calls for new procedures for reporting suicide

The chief executive of the national youth mental health foundation Headspace, Chris Tanti, acknowledged fears about media coverage.

"Suicide is particularly problematic and the concern we have in the sector is that other people as a result of that reporting don't go on to take their own lives," Mr Tanti said.

"I think there are ways of talking about suicide that minimise the likelihood that others will take their own lives."

Dr Mandy Oakham from the RMIT School of Media says journalists' coverage is complicated by discussion of suicide on social media.

"We've got to take account of social media and the role of that media in these people's lives," Dr Oakham said.

"Journalists will cover these stories. The suicide cluster in community like Geelong that was a massive story and it was going to be covered. The news values preordained that there would be massive coverage.

"So we've got to come up with a way of instructing journalists to formulate a pattern of behaviour that is going to work in this new environment."

In the past the media's approach to reporting suicide has been to minimise coverage and limit discussion.

But the Geelong Advertiser chose to run a ground breaking campaign on youth suicide in Geelong and was later commended by Suicide Prevention Australia.

Mr Kennett is among those who believes media coverage of suicide needs to change.

"I think we need to talk about suicide, I think we need to talk about it in a different method than we have in the past. We've got to convey the message that those who are thinking of ending their lives leave those they love behind to grieve for the rest of their lives."

Mr Tanti says coverage needs to underline the pain which suicide can cause to others.

"When I've worked with young people who are contemplating suicide, the thing that commonly stops them from doing that is the impact on family and friends and they don't really think about what their future might look like - because they don't really see a future," Mr Tanti said.

"I think that being clear there is an impact and often a devastating, long-lasting impact on family and friends and I think that needs to be clearly articulated."

If you or someone you know needs help you can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.

In conclusion:

Shut up and don't sensationalise this story. The way to minimise suicide is to tell suicidal people they are going to hurt everyone else through their selfishness. DON'T TALK ABOUT SUICIDE.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

gay picnic defence posted:

As much as Kennett is a flog I doubt it was malicious or an attempt to cover anything up. Plenty of media outlets still don't discuss suicides in any great depth so I guess there could well be a number of social workers or psychologists who preach the copycat line.

That's part of the point - this is done with noble intentions, like I said people in the forums here were against 60 Minutes publishing the story, but the noble intentions are based on faulty logic that looks at incidents that are part of a system but to prevent harm work to minimise the damage of the current system as opposed to looking to fix the system itself. Kennett wasn't trying to perform a cover up but it illustrates the mindset that has lead to me making the first post. I'm sure we can find more contemporary stories but the Geelong story always stuck in my memory as, much like Leelah Alcom in America, it's a major important incident and we responded by shutting it down.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Lid posted:

More recently (as in other a year ago now)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-21/suicide-geelong-coroner-inquest-media-coverage/5108942

In conclusion:

Shut up and don't sensationalise this story. The way to minimise suicide is to tell suicidal people they are going to hurt everyone else through their selfishness. DON'T TALK ABOUT SUICIDE.

This is really dumb, I'm impressed.

Really there should be a campaign designed for PARENTS, teaching them that they should talk to their children about depression and suicide and how to do it. You always see people wringing their hands in the wake of a suicide asking 'what could I have done?' and while you can't just blanket say that all suicides are preventable the risks can be mitigated if you have the right tools. So give people the loving tools.

Of course that would necessitate the institution of a functional mental healthcare system so lol.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Fruity Gordo posted:

they should talk to their children about depression and suicide and how to do it.

heh (I'm really immature)

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

I remember seeing a report on TV about these classes. Seems like a good alternative to scripture classes and possibly filling a spot in the school system in getting kids to think about why things are rather than just memorising information.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Who is the guy in this picture?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Who is the guy in this picture?

Former Governor General Daniel Kerr.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Luke Foley nose what's up

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Thanks for article Lid

Fruity Gordo posted:

When you do suicide prevention training one of the biggest points hammered home is that talking about suicidal thoughts is a huge factor in diminishing suicidality.

This.

People often fear (understandably) that if they broach the topic of suicide with someone at risk, that they will push them over the edge so to speak. Whereas, as Fruity said, the opposite is true.

I think copy cat suicides are an issue, especially in the past where celebrities have killed themselves. There is often a clinically significant cluster of suicides afterwards. But I believe it was more to do with the way media covers these deaths (glorification of the person etc). I believe the risk of copy cat suicides can be mitigated by having mature coverage of these events and having an open discussion on suicide. If you asked me 15 years ago when I was studying psychology, I would have said the latter was impossible. However since then we have come leaps and bounds in terms of acceptance of mental illness such as depression and anxiety, especially among men. I really hope we can have a mature debate around suicide soon, as it takes too many of us each year.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Les Affaires posted:

Thanks!

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Freudian Slip posted:

But I believe it was more to do with the way media covers these deaths (glorification of the person etc). I believe the risk of copy cat suicides can be mitigated by having mature coverage of these events and having an open discussion on suicide.

Unfortunately the conclusion here is cyclical since 60 minutes is irresponsible and exploitative and could never cover any topic whatsoever in a mature and sensible way, which makes the suppression entirely reasonable.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Les Affaires posted:

Daniel Kerr has aged a bit since he retired

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Freudian Slip posted:

Thanks for article Lid

This.

People often fear (understandably) that if they broach the topic of suicide with someone at risk, that they will push them over the edge so to speak. Whereas, as Fruity said, the opposite is true.

I think copy cat suicides are an issue, especially in the past where celebrities have killed themselves. There is often a clinically significant cluster of suicides afterwards. But I believe it was more to do with the way media covers these deaths (glorification of the person etc). I believe the risk of copy cat suicides can be mitigated by having mature coverage of these events and having an open discussion on suicide. If you asked me 15 years ago when I was studying psychology, I would have said the latter was impossible. However since then we have come leaps and bounds in terms of acceptance of mental illness such as depression and anxiety, especially among men. I really hope we can have a mature debate around suicide soon, as it takes too many of us each year.

There's also a purely functional factor to copycat suicides; yes, the glorification is an issue, but there's also the fact that when you get a widely-publicized suicide, suddenly somebody who might already be thinking about suicide is inundated with people talking about a way that worked.

There's a fairly decent argument to be made about not reporting in that case, but even that falls apart when it's stuff like Leelah's. Suicide by traffic is kind of an unarguable thing. Every day, there's loads of stories about people dying in traffic accidents, so not reporting it on that basis just plain doesn't work.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

cpaf posted:

Unfortunately the conclusion here is cyclical since 60 minutes is irresponsible and exploitative and could never cover any topic whatsoever in a mature and sensible way, which makes the suppression entirely reasonable.

We will never know this as it was never broadcast nor does anyone else do stories on suicide to compare it yo and such arguments of cyclical issues continue to maintain a defeatist status quo.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

To be fair, we do know this, because it's 60 minutes. It's a TT or ACA that goes for an extra 30 minutes, which probably at least half of their demographic can mathematically calculate as the reason for the title of the show. The idea of them covering literally any issue without sensationalising it is ludicrous, as is the assertion they wouldn't utterly marginalise mental illness in favour of demonising whatever loving soft and easy target will get them the most views.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0x0K-AwoI

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cheers, you've reminded me that I always need more Faith No More in my life.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

:siren:Campbell Newman to call election for January 31st tomorrow according to Channel 9 journalist Shane Doherty via twitter:siren:

EDIT: Courier Mail now reporting the same thing

Anidav fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 5, 2015

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
PREMIER Campbell Newman is expected to name the date Queenslanders will go to the polls tomorrow.

Mr Newman is currently on holidays but could return tomorrow to potentially send voters to the ballot box as early as January 31.

Senior Government sources said the Premier was concerned ongoing speculation over the date could create uncertainty and damage the state’s economic recovery.

The minimum campaign period under Queensland law is 26-days meaning an election could be held as soon as Saturday, January 31.

The Premier can, however, choose a longer campaign.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That headline though.

What'll it be, Channel 9 saying it will happen or the playing it safe half and half News Ltd article that is saying MAYBE.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 5, 2015

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
motherfucker, I'll be out of the country

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

thatbastardken posted:

motherfucker, I'll be out of the country

There'll be pre-poll/postal/absentee votes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-05/mildura-employer-allegedly-paid-backpackers-60-cents-an-hour/6001218

Hey Anidav, I bet he's looking for workers.

EDIT: In all seriousness, I do see people throw the old "Why don't you just go pick fruit, it's good money!" phrase around to people who are badly in need of work. Yeah, $8-10 a day is really worth it.

CrazyTolradi fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 5, 2015

• Locked thread