Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

DoctorWhat posted:

"sure this Super Metroid speedrunner doesn't know how to mockball, but 99.999999% of humanity doesn't know what a mockball is, so does it really matter?"

yeah what the hell, the whole point of the speedruns is to show off the cool tricks and exploits you can do to beat the game quickly

when a guy mentions them constantly and either fails to do them or says he won't be doing them, like not even once to show off what you can do to really break a game, that's just doubly disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh my god isn't that mustache dude the guy who ran tomba last time and that one annoying guy was on the couch? That poo poo was MAGICAL

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Honestly I'm kinda amazed that the speed runners don't choke more often. I imagine they're not often on a stage in front of a couple hundred people and broadcast to a hundred thousand more.

As someone who only watches speed runs during GDQ, this guy was doing good commentary, he sounded like he wanted to be there, and the game is interesting enough to watch. I liked it!

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm sorry everyone, the sonic generations run is canceled because the runner doesn't know how to do this one technique 99% of you have never heard of

This point is pretty dumb, because a lot of the fun of these is seeing a trick you never knew was even in the game.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh poo poo FZero is on deck. :getin:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh my god isn't that mustache dude the guy who ran tomba last time and that one annoying guy was on the couch? That poo poo was MAGICAL

It is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hILPBT6QjOE

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

"sure this Super Metroid speedrunner doesn't know how to mockball, but 99.999999% of humanity doesn't know what a mockball is, so does it really matter?"

if that speedrunner is still the best guy who actually applied for the slot then yeah it doesn't really matter

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Chomposaur posted:

Honestly I'm kinda amazed that the speed runners don't choke more often. I imagine they're not often on a stage in front of a couple hundred people and broadcast to a hundred thousand more.

As someone who only watches speed runs during GDQ, this guy was doing good commentary, he sounded like he wanted to be there, and the game is interesting enough to watch. I liked it!

Yeah, marathon runs are notorious for having 'marathon luck' and things that nobody's ever seen before happen alongside the nerves of being on stream just making it harder to perform tricks, people expecting perfect play and new WRs are expecting the wrong thing

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mockball isn't an IL strat. Admittedly I don't know how many of the things you were referencing earlier are risky IL strats and which are more RTA safe, but I get the impression you wouldn't have been happy with anything except the craziest strategies and would've just gotten mad when he didn't get them first try every time. In short I think you're a crazy dude and should go take some deep breaths before you drown in your needless anger.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The early FPS block is unique this year in that there's no Doom at AGDQ at all apparently, so we're getting some neat stuff like Blood and Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. Blood is a cool game but I don't know anything about the speedrun; Jedi Knight on the other hand has a really cool speedrun, playing on hard difficulty speeds up the platform speeds and force speed just makes you move stupid fast instead of slowing down time like later star wars games. There's a lot of fun tricks that can be appreciated even if this is your first time hearing of the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I was asleep for that one. I'll catch the VOD.
Sounds like you didn't get nearly enough sleep.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Chomposaur posted:

Seriously, a lot of tricks in a lot of games are really finicky to pull off. In a personal setting if you were going for a PB/record, if you flubbed a trick once or twice you'd just scrub the entire run, but you have to keep going at GDQ for obvious reasons. You only get one chance on stream and if the route includes a lot of one-out-of-ten tricks, then you can guarantee there's going to be time lost to mistakes.

The guy made it under estimate and it's not like Generations is boring to watch (unlike Tomb Raider, imo) so all the bitching isn't super warranted.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Anything weird and terrible coming up this year like Zoo Race?

Awful games done quick block looks really good, get excited

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Mockball isn't an IL strat. Admittedly I don't know how many of the things you were referencing earlier are risky IL strats and which are more RTA safe, but I get the impression you wouldn't have been happy with anything except the craziest strategies and would've just gotten mad when he didn't get them first try every time. In short I think you're a crazy dude and should go take some deep breaths before you drown in your needless anger.

M-speed is basically the modern-stage equivalent of those crazy spin-dash jumps Classic Sonic , except while it's harder to execute it's also higher-reward and not really all that risky in-and-of itself.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

I always look forward to Werster's runs because of his great commentary. Who is going to be playing?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Geight posted:

Blood is a cool game but I don't know anything about the speedrun
Cubeface has been practicing it on Twitch, it has some fun tricks. You will believe an undead vampiric cowboy can fly.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Soooniiic Heerroooeesss

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Anything weird and terrible coming up this year like Zoo Race?

Friend do I have good news for you

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

Cubeface has been practicing it on Twitch, it has some fun tricks. You will believe an undead vampiric cowboy can fly.

Blood is a Build Engine game, right? Does it get as completely twisted around as Duke 3D does?

e: The fact that Darkspinessonic and Werster is on the couch means this run will probably be pretty good despite Sonic Heroes being a really dumb and bad game.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
1 min in and this is already better commentary than all of generations

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Oooh, I love this guy's voice. :allears: I'm actually going to go check out his channel later because of it, he seems like an entertaining runner.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
Does Jon St. John do Big in this game?

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Oh this should be pretty good, I was going to skip Heroes but darkss knows his poo poo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Blood is a Build Engine game, right? Does it get as completely twisted around as Duke 3D does?
He doesn't turn rooms inside-out, but there's some funny weird engine quirks like a cloud layer over a death pit having a solid "rim" you can walk on for sequence-breaking fun

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

homphgomph posted:

Does Jon St. John do Big in this game?

Big the Cat is gonna rip off your head and poo poo down your neeeeck.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

HERE WE GO

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

here we go!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Oh, hell. I forgot how annoying the voices in this game were. :gonk:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
BIG THE CAT CAN FLY.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This run loving owns.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beekeeping and You posted:

Oooh, I love this guy's voice. :allears: I'm actually going to go check out his channel later because of it, he seems like an entertaining runner.
Darkspinessonic always makes his Sonic runs pretty entertaining.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Are the couch guys not given mics to commentate?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
yeah this is pretty good!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Blockhouse posted:

Friend do I have good news for you

yeah anyone who misses this run may as well have not even heard of the event

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The Kins posted:

Does it include setting himself or others on fire?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Heran Bago posted:

I think they do but the runner seems to be fine just talking non-stop.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heran Bago posted:

I think they are but DSS just talks a lot, and I think it's sort of expected that the couch gives deference to the runner.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Geight posted:

Blood is a cool game but I don't know anything about the speedrun;

I've never watched a Blood speed run but it's a build game and that means it'll be hilariously broken.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, the couch people are mainly there if the runner doesn't want to/isn't comfortable commentating while playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

I think they are but DSS just talks a lot, and I think it's sort of expected that the couch gives deference to the runner.

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, the couch people are mainly there if the runner doesn't want to/isn't comfortable commentating while playing
They probably made this more of a hard rule after some of the stuff from last year.

• Locked thread