Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Electromax posted:

I wanna see a low gravity pinball box where you have 16 flippers and fling a ball around the inside of a crane-game-like area. Playable on the moon.

I'm honestly surprised one of the pinball videogame makers haven't done something like this or some other transdimensional spin on the (mostly) 2D playing field. It'd be like the Super Mario Galaxy of pinball games. poo poo, make it Super Mario Galaxy: The Pinball Game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

McSpanky posted:

I'm honestly surprised one of the pinball videogame makers haven't done something like this or some other transdimensional spin on the (mostly) 2D playing field. It'd be like the Super Mario Galaxy of pinball games. poo poo, make it Super Mario Galaxy: The Pinball Game!

Speaking of weird gravity effects (well, kind of speaking of that), I played Banzai Run last week, and I recognized where the weird game mode from Zen's Paranormal came from -- I was confused by that extra playfield where the ball dropped so fast, and finally realized it was pretending it had moved into the vertical part of the pinball machine. Maybe this was obvious to everybody else, but I was thrilled when the penny dropped for me.

I felt similarly about the soul gem mode in Infinity Gauntlet once I battled the power in Twilight Zone. :shobon:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

McSpanky posted:

Something like this?

It's a really rare machine and apparently not super fun, but that's the only way I can imagine it being feasible.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Something like this?

It's a really rare machine and apparently not super fun, but that's the only way I can imagine it being feasible.

Played this at The Las Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame and can confirm it is pretty meh.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

It's been suggested that Banzai Run is coming to TPA, right? That's one of the few tables, along with HS2 and TAF, that I'm still waiting for.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

AA is for Quitters posted:

Really pissd the local arcade traded out their MM before i could highscore it. Right now my only HS in town is on the TAF in a local bar, where i annoyed the poo poo out of my friend by spending 40 minutes on one game. But despite weak rear end flippers, TAF is one of my favorite machines. They also have avatar, which is quite possibly the shittiest pinball ever.

Local arcade has LOTR, Junkyard, PotC, JP, TMNT and Xmen. What should I high score then? TMNT and JP are the replacedments for MM, so they have low HS at the moment, but I'm pretty decent. Not like tourney winning good, but I've got lots of practice.

The local barcade has black knight 2000, so i kinda wanna go, but they're hella overpriced for everything. (like $5 for a Mikes, and the games run $1-$2. Who the hell pays $1 for street fighter 2? or one of those Neo Geo 5-in-1s?)

Of the machines you mentioned, I love Lord of the Rings, and Jurassic Park is real fun too. You could probably put up a high score on either one once you get the rules down. LotR is on my short list of "tables that I would never sell or trade once I owned them" (with Williams Indiana Jones and TSPP)

And taking forever at a pinball table and boring your spouse/friends is a time-honored tradition in pinball. When my wife and I were newly married, we worked at the same store in the mall and often took lunch at this pizza place with a DE Star Wars table. The pattern was that I'd buy a game, win a replay or four, and then let her burn through the games in 10 minutes right near the end.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 6, 2015

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
yeah, LOTR is really fun, I've played it in various places and alway had a good time with it. Nearly put up a high score in the delta wing arcade in the MSP airport, but that's because high scores were super low, like I'm guessing it was only kids that played it. But when one has a 4 hour layover, and internet is $5, one finds ways to entertain themselves.

I think part of why my friend was pissed was because i kept sending him to the bar for me. I had a comically long crazy straw that i had brought with me and just set my rum and coke on the table. But i had gone in with a mission and he knew that.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 6, 2015

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

McSpanky posted:

So orbitron1? I thought that was considered a flop?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

prefect posted:

So what you're saying is that we need to get NASA involved in the construction of pinball-machine components. Gotcha. :D

Teflon™ coat everything...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
While looking for more information on Pinball Circus, I found a blogpost saying a boutique group was planning to remake it. No further information, though so take it with a grain of salt.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

They would still get dirty, pinball machines are self-soiling devices. Most of the vents are located on the bottom and there aren't usually fans, so they shouldn't let much from the environment in. Remember you are throwing a case hardened steel ball bearing over and over and over into a variety of plastic, metal, and painted wood components. All of these things wear and break down, combine this with the smoke from the occasionally burned up coil or blown varistor and you have yourself a machine in need of a shop job.

Nuts. We put a probe on a comet. A vacuum sealed pinball machine is within our reach. Let me have this dream.

Also, balls. I've got a cranky TV Lock switch now, and I'm all but certainly going to have to pull my upper playfield. I'd swear that I read repeatedly that pinball machines were maintenance free and never breaks. Can whoever is working on the NASA vacuum dust free machine please make sure that it never breaks down as well?

Edit - no sense in relying only on pinside people for advice. C&P of what I posted there. Long story short - the table isn't consistently registering hits on the switch behind the TV on the upper playfield - frequently holding the ball until the table goes into ball search mode. (Which can screw you points wise hard as your TV timer counts down the whole time.)

Went into the switch test mode and just tossed a ball up there over and over. It's registering maybe 1 of 5 times. (edit - for the record, even pressing it by hand was no longer registering a closed switch every time.)

Also "played" a few games with the glass off, and there's definitely no rhyme or reason to it. Seems to read the hit properly when the TV mode is lit, but I was also getting it just sit there as well. Oddly enough, it would occasionally trigger the DMD animation for the start of the mode, but still hold the ball until the ball search routine before releasing it. I'm assuming the switch has to register as closed for a short period of time or something? I would have thought it was a 1/0 on or off type of thing.

So my completely uneducated guess is that I need to either clean the switch, or check the soldering for it? Which of course means pulling the upper playfield regardless? Anyone willing to weigh in on this before I start? Should I maybe just replace the switch entirely while I'm in there?

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 6, 2015

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Discendo Vox posted:

While looking for more information on Pinball Circus, I found a blogpost saying a boutique group was planning to remake it. No further information, though so take it with a grain of salt.

They had some stuff out at Expo (a recreated cabinet, maybe some toys). Nothing terribly impressive, but they've been getting the word out for a while.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's some more information: http://www.circusmaximusgames.com/blog

Don't miss this part:

quote:

...originally there was supposed to be an additional mechanism between the flippers. A snake head that would extend and bounce the ball back into play.

...Python always wanted it to be a Pelvic button that you had to “bump” to extend the snake, but that is another story altogether.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some season packs for The Pinball Arcade on PlayStation Store are on sale once again:

Season 1:
PS4 version $14.99
PS3 version $14.99 (includes Vita versions)
Vita version $14.99 (includes PS3 versions)

Base tables are not free this time.

Season 2:
PS3 version $14.99 (includes Vita versions)
Vita version $14.99 (includes PS3 versions)

PS4 version of Season 2 is not on sale. Understandable, since it just came out last month.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tony Phillips posted:

So my completely uneducated guess is that I need to either clean the switch, or check the soldering for it? Which of course means pulling the upper playfield regardless? Anyone willing to weigh in on this before I start? Should I maybe just replace the switch entirely while I'm in there?

Everything you posted there sounds like great things to troubleshoot. Looking for a broken solder point is usually where I start.

I usually end up reflowing the solder on troublesome switches as a matter of precaution. This is my personal preference, not some conventional wisdom thing. Also look to see if there are any crossed wires, or perhaps a broken diode on the switch.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

Everything you posted there sounds like great things to troubleshoot. Looking for a broken solder point is usually where I start.

I usually end up reflowing the solder on troublesome switches as a matter of precaution. This is my personal preference, not some conventional wisdom thing. Also look to see if there are any crossed wires, or perhaps a broken diode on the switch.

Actually just finished up. Everything back to normal.

Was way simpler than I hoped. Probably could have done it without pulling the playfield, but I did. (Glad I did just to get it over with and not fear taking things apart.)

Just had to bend the curved bit that comes up through the slot in the playfield a bit. Balls resting on it now press down a tiny bit more and trigger the switch. Threw 20 or so balls through there while on switch test mode and it fired off each time.

2 for 2 on the "bend that piece of metal" repairs. It's oddly rewarding in a way. (This is not meant to tempt fate, pinball Gods. Let's leave things as they are for a few weeks, OK?)

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I had a similar fix for my WCS 94. The guy I bought it from made up all sorts of weird crazy stories about why it was happening, none of which related to the "bend the metal" fix. 15 seconds later, all is good.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I bought season 2 of TPA on my vita/ps3 today and it gave me table packs 11-14. Are there more? When I open the game I can't access season 2 or 1 but I dunno only 8 tables?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

FishBulb posted:

I bought season 2 of TPA on my vita/ps3 today and it gave me table packs 11-14. Are there more? When I open the game I can't access season 2 or 1 but I dunno only 8 tables?

Season 2 should be packs 11-20.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinball_Arcade

roffels posted:

I had a similar fix for my WCS 94. The guy I bought it from made up all sorts of weird crazy stories about why it was happening, none of which related to the "bend the metal" fix. 15 seconds later, all is good.

I'll take bend a piece of metal repairs every time please.

Edit - I have angered the Gods. Switch almost immediately acting up. Registering roughly 50% of the time in test mode, even when I can clearly hear it clicking at it makes contact. Took it all apart, adjusted it a tiny bit more. Played a game and had it work *most* of the time, but drat it. That switch is pretty vital to the game. Probably going to order a new one (and buy a soldering iron) just to get it over with.

Edit again - For those that know their stuff. Here's a picture I took of the switch in question. Comparing it to a picture here:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1772

it's immediately apparent that the diode on mine has been bent over. Any chance that that could be the culprit? (My inner nerd is ashamed to admit that I have NO idea what a diode does.) I don't think the wire leading to the diode is actually in contact with that solder for what that's worth. Any reason not to just replace the drat thing anyway?

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 7, 2015

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Yeah I found that after. I'll have to see if I can download the rest of them manually i guess.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

The other ones, table packs 15 through 20, should show up in PS Store under your PSN account as free downloads after buying the pass. Are they showing up as free for you?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Going to play with some real machines next week. They have a Fish Tales. Is that as much of a ball draining monster in real life as it is on the TPA?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

LordPants posted:

Going to play with some real machines next week. They have a Fish Tales. Is that as much of a ball draining monster in real life as it is on the TPA?

In my experience - yes? Yes in that the TPA version is pretty brutal, and hence more life like.

It's oddly not that hard to loop alternating shots up the two middle ramps - just like on TPA. I also have a bitch of a time locking balls at times - just like TPA. And locking a ball during mutliball in order to light the jackpot - you got it....

Fish Tales is a strange game to me. It seems pretty drat good, but I find myself not enjoying it quite as much as I think it warrants. (If that makes any sense.)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

LordPants posted:

I played it once and it was. The lightning flippers are shorter than your standard ones. The game was basically made to drain faster.

Has there been any updates on Addams Family on TPA? I'm really excited for it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Forgot this thread was here, need to follow it more. Just got a crazy-good personal best on pinball arcade's version of bride of pinbot. My previous best was like 17m (I'm not very good), but today, I finally had five minutes or so where I had the left ramp shot really together, and ended up getting through metamorphosis to the big wheel, which I'd never done before. I hit billionaire's club on the first spin and hit the heart ramp almost entirely by luck off the very next shot. I ended up spinning b.c. again and almost ran out of time trying to nail the heart ramp shot again, except the loops I hit in lieu of making that shot gave me an extra ball, whose announcement (I think) paused the billionaire timer long enough to get another ball on my flipper and land the shot.

I will basically never play this well again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cool thanks guys. I have it on the TPA and I'm pretty terrible at it so I'm looking forward to being crushed by it in person. :v:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

A bar I used to frequent had a Fish Tales and I played the poo poo out of it. If well kept it's a fast machine. Utilize flipper catches whenever possible to line up your shots is all I can suggest. Bust Long Casts to advance the captive ball bonuses then hammer away at it.

Unlike TPA, its quite easy to get a Fastlock on the ball plunge. I dunno how to get it in TPA minus just blind luck and the stars properly aligned which hasn't happened for me yet.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Heads up on the PA sale on PSN:

If you buy the Season 2 Pro Pass, don't claim the pro upgrade until you claim all of the tables. Apparently, if you claim the pro upgrade first, you are locked out of claiming all but 2 of the table packs on PS3 and Vita. :cripes:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

We really need a :farsight: emoticon.

Even if it's just "TILT! TILT! TILT!"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

Has there been any updates on Addams Family on TPA? I'm really excited for it.

People keep saying Feburary, I'm not sure if that's because of the files they looked at.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tony Phillips posted:

it's immediately apparent that the diode on mine has been bent over. Any chance that that could be the culprit? (My inner nerd is ashamed to admit that I have NO idea what a diode does.) I don't think the wire leading to the diode is actually in contact with that solder for what that's worth. Any reason not to just replace the drat thing anyway?
If the switch is part of a switch matrix (most likely) the diode is there to isolate the switch from others in the same row/column. It should be connected in series with the switch.

Without it, current could flow in the reverse direction when the switch closes and trick the cpu into thinking other switches are closed as well. A broken diode that conducts both ways is a common cause for phantom hits, when something registers even when it's not hit.

If the diode is busted and not conducting at all or conducts intermittently the switch will simply not register. You can just check the diode with a multimeter (with the game off) in diode mode or resistance mode if yours doesn't have a diode mode.

If the diode is fine then the switch is probably broken.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm#switch explains how the switch matrix works. The page is about Sys11, but the switch matrix works the same regardless of system.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Yechezkel posted:

The other ones, table packs 15 through 20, should show up in PS Store under your PSN account as free downloads after buying the pass. Are they showing up as free for you?

It lists a price on all of them on the vita store I haven't had a chance to check on my pc yet. I'll do that in a bit.

edit: Yeah the webstore won't let me get them for free and when I tell it to download the pass I just get the same 4 packs again, on both my ps3 and vita.

Balls.

Edit 2: ok I went back to the vita again and found them and now they are free. Don't think it was farsight honestly. Probably PsN. I was getting a mess of errors.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 7, 2015

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Tony Phillips posted:

In my experience - yes? Yes in that the TPA version is pretty brutal, and hence more life like.

It's oddly not that hard to loop alternating shots up the two middle ramps - just like on TPA. I also have a bitch of a time locking balls at times - just like TPA. And locking a ball during mutliball in order to light the jackpot - you got it....

Fish Tales is a strange game to me. It seems pretty drat good, but I find myself not enjoying it quite as much as I think it warrants. (If that makes any sense.)

Fish Tales and Dracula are games that make me wish Farsight offered as many customization options as Zaccaria Pinball. I respect that the machine is replicated just as it shipped, but I'd love to be able to swap in regular sized flippers and see if that improves my opinion of the games, given that they were designed with regular flipper sizes in mind and just had the lightening ones slapped in there at the last minute.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Haven't checked this thread in a few months. I don't suppose there have been any developments regarding additional TPA tables on Xbox 360? I suspect my Star Trek Kickstarter prize will remain forever unclaimed... :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, they were working with noted crazy person Python Anghelo to produce his true vision of the Pinball Circus. Since he died last year the chances of that happening either went up dramatically or down dramatically depending on your opinion of him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Was he the guy that ended up being a bit of a misogynist, meaning that "I CAN SPEAK - OH NO!!!!" becomes slightly creepy in hindsight?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LordPants posted:

Was he the guy that ended up being a bit of a misogynist, meaning that "I CAN SPEAK - OH NO!!!!" becomes slightly creepy in hindsight?

Uh, yeah. He had some interesting views on women. At least Zingy Bingy finally surfaced!

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 8, 2015

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

LordPants posted:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow. Okay.

I was trying to be polite if I was mistaken.

Nope dude is for real crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Weren't the flippers also supposed to be penises, or did I imagine that?

If I imagined that, nobody steal my idea.