Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
What is it with Ravens fans parachuting in and knowing nothing about baseball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I mean if you wanna be slightly more contemporary, Dave Concepcion made it in and Vizquel was a bit better with the bat.

Dave Concepcion is not in the Hall of Fame, he topped out at 16.9%. Furthermore:
Dave Concepcion wRC+: 88
Omar Vizquel wRC+: 83

(Brooks Robinson was 104, Ozzie Smith was 90.)

Like, if you want to make a case on "as good as some of the biggest mistakes in the Hall" then enjoy electing Nomar and Miguel Tejada and Jimmy Rollins too, but I don't think that's a consistent or reasonable metric.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Davey Conception is only in the hall of fame that exists entirely in Joe Morgan's head.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does but here is a list of players better than Omar Vizquel that played during the same "Generation" as Omar Visquel:

Nomar Garciapara, Miguel Tejada, Cal Ripken, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Larkin, Jimmy Rollins.

One of the best shortstops of his generation!!!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Ironically, Omar Vizquel's fWAR is a half-win lower than Rabbit Maranville.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Some very subtle trolling going on in this thread today.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

quote:

Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 19m19 minutes ago

Source -Chicago Cubs and WGN TV will announce new multi year deal .WGN will broadcast 45 games this season . Should be announced this week.

:woop:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

45 out of 162. Jeez.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

So is that WGN Chicago the local station or WGN America the cable network?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Since when is the Hall of Fame about raw numbers? Vizquel was a way better defender than most (or all) of those shortstops you named. I think he was the second best glove at shortshop during the period, behind Ozzie. Why can't a guy who played nearly a quarter of a century, put up above average offensive numbers, and was one of the top 3 defenders at his position for the period get consideration for the Hall of Fame?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

So is that WGN Chicago the local station or WGN America the cable network?

Oh crap I assumed it'd be on WGN-A. Bleed Cubbie Blue says no, only WGN Chicago.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Komet posted:

Since when is the Hall of Fame about raw numbers? Vizquel was a way better defender than most (or all) of those shortstops you named. I think he was the second best glove at shortshop during the period, behind Ozzie. Why can't a guy who played nearly a quarter of a century, put up above average offensive numbers, and was one of the top 3 defenders at his position for the period get consideration for the Hall of Fame?

Because it's the hall of fame, not the hall of "being good at one half of the game". Especially the half that matters way, way less.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Komet posted:

Because he didn't put up even average numbers?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Neither did Ozzie Smith. Does Ozzie Smith belong in the Hall of Fame?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ozzie smith was both better with the bat, and a much better defender.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Komet posted:

Neither did Ozzie Smith. Does Ozzie Smith belong in the Hall of Fame?

Ozzie Smith is considered literally the greatest defensive shortstop of all time

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you want to make his case based on defense I would probably compare him to someone who was not quite possibly the best defensive player in the history of the sport, because that one is not going to be kind to him.

Also for all Ozzie's limitations he was still a significantly better hitter. Just loving stop it, Komet.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Pro title change

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I know Ozzie is the greatest defensive shortstop ever, like Brooks Robinson is the greatest third baseman ever (both of whom were merely average hitters). Ozzie's batting stats aren't "significantly" better. They are fairly comparable. But Vizquel did win 9 Gold Gloves in a row followed by another 2 in the mid-2000s. As I said, I think he was the second best defensive shortstop during the era. And I think that's good enough for the Hall.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
it's not

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Omar Vizquel's defensive numbers are clearly the result of years of steroid abuse.

e: also this notion that he is the 2nd best defensive shortstop of his generation is extremely generous. He played in the same generation as Cal Ripken.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 6, 2015

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Ah yes, gold glove, the true measure of how good defensively a player is *Jetes wins 5 of them*

e: My bad, 6 of them

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does but here is a list of players better than Omar Vizquel that played during the same "Generation" as Omar Visquel:

Nomar Garciapara, Miguel Tejada, Cal Ripken, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Barry Larkin, Jimmy Rollins.

One of the best shortstops of his generation!!!

Jimmy Rollins is probably a HoFer and I don't think he'll get any consideration at all.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Omar Vizquel's defensive numbers are clearly the result of years of steroid abuse.

e: also this notion that he is the 2nd best defensive shortstop of his generation is extremely generous. He played in the same generation as Cal Ripken.

I'm an Orioles fan and I idolized Ripken growing up, and I will readily admit that Vizquel was better defensively.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Komet posted:

I know Ozzie is the greatest defensive shortstop ever, like Brooks Robinson is the greatest third baseman ever (both of whom were merely average hitters). Ozzie's batting stats aren't "significantly" better. They are fairly comparable. But Vizquel did win 9 Gold Gloves in a row followed by another 2 in the mid-2000s. As I said, I think he was the second best defensive shortstop during the era. And I think that's good enough for the Hall.

The best 3B of all time is Michael Jack Schmidt

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Harlock posted:

What happens to us in the future? Do we become assholes or something?

Become?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If you want to make it into the Hall of Fame based entirely on defense, you also need to hit at least one Game 7 World Series winning dinger.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Intruder posted:

Ah yes, gold glove, the true measure of how good defensively a player is *Jetes wins 5 of them*

e: My bad, 6 of them

Headley has one which I find hilarious considering he's pretty run of the mill in my opinion and I think statistically too. How do they even decide them these days?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Komet posted:

I'm an Orioles fan and I idolized Ripken growing up, and I will readily admit that Vizquel was better defensively.

Even if he was better defensively, 30 loving points of OPS+ (seriously) is a whole lot of difference.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

thompson posted:

Headley has one which I find hilarious considering he's pretty run of the mill in my opinion and I think statistically too. How do they even decide them these days?

Voted on by the managers and coaches, hence Rafael "Vitamin B12" Palmeiro winning a GG while appearing in 130 games as a DH one year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Angry Grimace posted:

If you want to make it into the Hall of Fame based entirely on defense, you also need to hit at least one Game 7 World Series winning dinger.

Also do a rad backflip

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
This conversation kind of makes me wonder how Scott Rolen will do when he comes up.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

This man is correct. Ripken doesn't get a lot of credit because of how big he was but advanced and traditional stats love him.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zythrst posted:

This conversation kind of makes me wonder how Scott Rolen will do when he comes up.

Poorly. The Hall hates 3b for whatever reason, and Rolen spent the second half of his career being a shadow of his former self after Alex Cintron and Hee-Seop Choi bashed into him repeatedly. As a result, he doesn't really have the counting stats, either. Interestingly, I think he has a better case than Jim Edmonds, but I think Edmonds has a better chance of getting in (though I don't think either will.)

e: Adrian Beltre's another interesting case, and there's a decent chance he has 3000 hits by the time he hangs 'em up. Was never the best at his position, but was above average for a while (Seattle was weird) before a monster bounceback in his 30s as a Ranger.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 6, 2015

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FairGame posted:

Poorly. The Hall hates 3b for whatever reason, and Rolen spent the second half of his career being a shadow of his former self after Alex Cintron and Hee-Seop Choi bashed into him repeatedly. As a result, he doesn't really have the counting stats, either. Interestingly, I think he has a better case than Jim Edmonds, but I think Edmonds has a better chance of getting in (though I don't think either will.)

e: Adrian Beltre's another interesting case, and there's a decent chance he has 3000 hits by the time he hangs 'em up. Was never the best at his position, but was above average for a while (Seattle was weird) before a monster bounceback in his 30s as a Ranger.

Also, everybody who votes for the hall is like 80 so they haven't actually watched a baseball game since 1999 or so.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm still really interested to see if Trevor Hoffman can make it in on the first ballot next year. He's always going to exist in Rivera's shadow and being the first guy to break the save record kind of doesn't matter when the guy with the save record isn't in the Hall of Fame to begin with.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm still really interested to see if Trevor Hoffman can make it in on the first ballot next year. He's always going to exist in Rivera's shadow and being the first guy to break the save record kind of doesn't matter when the guy with the save record isn't in the Hall of Fame to begin with.

saves are bullshit hth

also discard two cards at random plz

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

He has a very similar case to Lee Smith, imo, when it comes to saves except Smith held the record for much longer. Smith had more career strikeouts and a lower ERA. Hoffman has a better career ERA+ but about 3 HoF voters know how to read that stat.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

I have spent way too much time recently looking at Vizquel's stats and he is not a hall of famer. Interestingly I've also spent a ton of time comparing his stats to Concepcion and Vizquel is so much worse as a hitter that his defense doesn't make up for being a offensive black hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

tadashi posted:

He has a very similar case to Lee Smith, imo, when it comes to saves except Smith held the record for much longer. Smith had more career strikeouts and a lower ERA. Hoffman has a better career ERA+ but about 3 HoF voters know how to read that stat.

The idea he's not getting in at all is pretty out there, I think. He's getting in, its just a question of whether he gets in immediately.

The save might be a bullshit stat, but so are a lot of stats that voters care about and Hoffman broke Smith's record by about 125.

• Locked thread