Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

"Boss, you need to--"

"Call me Snake."

"Er, okay. Snake, you nee--"

"Call me Big Boss."

"...John, you need to rescue Amanda."

What are the "real" names for all the Snakes?
I know in MGS1 his name is "David" so they can make a 2001 joke when they reveal Otacon's name is "Hal" but I don't know about the other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

What are the "real" names for all the Snakes?
I know in MGS1 his name is "David" so they can make a 2001 joke when they reveal Otacon's name is "Hal" but I don't know about the other games.

Big Boss: John (maybe a pseudonym, i.e. John Doe)
Sold Snake: Dave
Solidus Snake: ...George?
Liquid Snake: As of Phantom Pain, probably Eli

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
The relevant codec call:
"Para-Medic: "Snake, your right eye..."
Snake: "What about it?"
Para-Medic: "The cornea and the lens are severely damaged, and the eyeball is ruptured. So..."
Snake: "So I can't heal it even in the Survival Viewer."
Para-Medic: "I'm afraid not... I'm sorry, Snake. I wish there was something I could do..."
Snake: "Don't worry about it. I can still fight."
Para-Medic: "I don't doubt you. But don't do anything crazy, OK? From here on, it's going to be difficult to see out your right eye. Attacking in First Person View will feel a little different from before. Be careful."

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought at the first end of Peace Walker Snake told Miller to stop calling him that, and from here on in, refer to him as BIG BOSS? Why's he still doing it a year later?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Because the name is more popular for marketing the game. At least they didn't give him the bandana again.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fargin Icehole posted:

I thought at the first end of Peace Walker Snake told Miller to stop calling him that, and from here on in, refer to him as BIG BOSS? Why's he still doing it a year later?

It's been like 2 months, maybe. Some habits just die hard.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I just realized. Hayter's going to be in the post-credits stinger. Duh. Duuuuhhhh.

and probably say kept you waiting huh to someone.

Under the vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 7, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Under the vegetable posted:

I just realized. Hayter's going to be in the post-credits stinger. Duh. Duuuuhhhh.

They'll make it seem like that up until the game is released and then bam, Raiden.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Manatee Cannon posted:

They'll make it seem like that up until the game is released and then bam, Raiden.

Turns out that Raiden's been playing Phantom Pain as a simulation like Solid Snake did with Snake Eater.

Raiden now knows CQC and will use it to full effect in Revengeance 2.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I can't wait for Raiden to CQC slam enemies so hard that their spines fall out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe it'll be Sunny instead. She can ride the robot dog and feed him spines.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Sunny is definitely a secret cyborg. In MGS 4 Raiden has to weigh several hundred lbs and 7 year old Sunny picks him up off the floor a bit.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Holy poo poo MGR with CQC would be the best game ever. Who do I give my money to?

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
In the next MGR Sunny will be the world's first cyborg astronaut, ripping out the cores of planets to refuel her ravenous hunger for science.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paranoid Dude posted:

In the next MGR Sunny will be the world's first cyborg astronaut, ripping out the cores of planets to refuel her ravenous hunger for science.

Otacon will be so proud that his little girl grew up to be an anime.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sunny better have a rocket arm of her own. And I don't mean a rocket-propelled fist, I mean a literal heavy lift booster for an arm.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm surprised at how well Ground Zeroes run on my computer. The PC port is really well done.

Not for nothing, I ran this at 1080p with almost all settings on max with a GTX 560ti and 90% of the time it was screaming at 60fps.

Ubisoft are such a bunch of scrubs, you'd think with all Konami's pimping of the Fox engine, they'd be willing to license it out so AssCreed could run worth a drat.

Edit: in related news, lol: http://cramgaming.com/far-cry-4-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-map-22341/

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just watched Giant Bomb's playthroughs of 1 and 2 and then played 3 and 4 for myself for the first time ever. I had already played Ground Zeroes. I'm very excited for Phantom Pain.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Paranoid Dude posted:

So what you're saying is that Sunny is Galactus? I'd play that game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

This is great.

I'd rather see Far Cry 4's map ported to the Fox Engine and played through the eyes of Big Boss though. :smug:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ChaosArgate posted:

I can't wait for Raiden to CQC slam enemies so hard that their spines fall out.
Well that's clearly their fault for even having spines anywhere near Raiden, when you think about it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, the PMCs and SOP and nanomachines keep putting spines in everything, no matter how silly an idea it is. Cyborg soldiers? Okay, sure. Gigantic bipedal mooing things? Er, I don't know about that one. Chaisse lounges? What? Why is there a spine full of Gatorade in my orange juice?!?!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cow robots need spines, too. Don't be cow racist.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Do you think MGS4 will return on playstation now' full release this month?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

whip posted:

Do you think MGS4 will return on playstation now' full release this month?

I hope so. I haven't bought it yet and I don't want a disc copy.

lmbo

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

rude

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

GreatGreen posted:

This is great.

I'd rather see Far Cry 4's map ported to the Fox Engine and played through the eyes of Big Boss though. :smug:

ftfy

Also I just started playing PW and everything with Motherbase and the R&D seems kind of...overwhelming? Is there like a guide I should read or should I just kind of wing it? I've been fultoning a lot of people and setting it to auto-assign them when I'm between missions, is there something better or more I should be doing? Or does it not really matter that much?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Humerus posted:

ftfy

Also I just started playing PW and everything with Motherbase and the R&D seems kind of...overwhelming? Is there like a guide I should read or should I just kind of wing it? I've been fultoning a lot of people and setting it to auto-assign them when I'm between missions, is there something better or more I should be doing? Or does it not really matter that much?

Nope, fulton everyone. Early-on when your fultons are limited, prefer hostages over most soldiers. But you should use all of them each mission until your base is full; then you can start being picky.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Auto assigning every solder and hostage you meet is fine until you hit lategame stuff when soldiers are likely to have unique skills that only work if they're assigned to certain departments. That said, by that point you should have a full base and be inspecting each soldier you get manually to determine their best assignment and figuring out who you're best off firing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hey, Chico, I found another one of your tapes.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Also holding up enemies puts them out indefinitely until an alert goes off. So hold someone up (or everyone in the map up) and then use the analyzer to see who is worth fultoning and who is not.

Basically as long as they are not e-rank it's worth fultoning them.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Humerus posted:

ftfy

It isn't as complicated as you think. GMP cost on research projects is refunded on completion. Just fulton everyone. Auto-assign. Once the teams fill up, then start looking at however is at the bottoms, and shuffle around the dregs, firing the absolute worst of the worst. Once you get to that point, prioritize recruiting POWs, and/or bring an analyzer along, and only recruit B+ units.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I'm at 60% in Ground Zeroes on PC. Just have to do the S-Ranks and unlock the trials on hard. Some stuff I noted:
- the chopper music seems to be botched. The game never remembers the song I chose and nothing plays during extraction. Not to mention you can't import your own tracks.
- everybody gushes about the graphics but MGSV has some really impressive audio design. There's the sound of wind in the microphone during running and stuff like the soldier's voice doubling with the radio chatter when he reports near you. Really good music, too. That Baez/Morricone track owns bones. I read somewhere that it was in PW, too, but don't remember it from there.
- is it a bug or are the binoculars equipped with directional mic?
- the animation is top notch for the most part but they really should do something about landing. Snake doesn't even stop after jumping from any height, he literally hits the ground running. Looks funny.
- gotta respect the way the game's being built. They were prepping the engine for a few years, now they're just adding content. That's the way to go. Ubisoft on the other hand is just slapping some glue and sticks onto their franchises on yearly basis and everybody's surprised they don't work so well.
- That said, I wonder if the Fox Engine really is complete because GZ shows its limitations at times. There's lots of pop-in which is understandable when you deal with this amount of detail in huge levels but it does gently caress with the gameplay sometimes. Like you'll see tranqed enemies fall on the ground after you look at them, this happens really often after loading the game. The patrol routes number is also limited. There's lots of times when I left guys sleeping in the open but no one found them because I was far away and the game didn't move the soldiers from the other side of the base. I think this will be changed a bit in TPP because they showed how the patrols change during the day/night cycle. Maybe the levels will be a bit smaller this time.
- LoD is a bit hosed, too. Like sometimes the game will decide that I can see the barrel next to the AA Gun but other times it disappears until I switch to the first person view.
- I must admit I did not see that Chico having forced sex with Paz tape coming. That was a brutal change of tone, especially after Peace Walker.
- rolling shouldn't even be in the game. It's really awkward to pull off and it's not that useful.
- gently caress the marking trial in that Blow Up The Air-Defence side-op. I spent two hours hunting for the last two guys.
- everybody's talking about Sutherland but why didn't they get Quinton Flynn for Raiden? I know there's only a handful of lines, but couldn't they just reuse some stuff from MGR?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm at 60% in Ground Zeroes on PC. Just have to do the S-Ranks and unlock the trials on hard. Some stuff I noted:
- the chopper music seems to be botched. The game never remembers the song I chose and nothing plays during extraction. Not to mention you can't import your own tracks.
- everybody gushes about the graphics but MGSV has some really impressive audio design. There's the sound of wind in the microphone during running and stuff like the soldier's voice doubling with the radio chatter when he reports near you. Really good music, too. That Baez/Morricone track owns bones. I read somewhere that it was in PW, too, but don't remember it from there.
- is it a bug or are the binoculars equipped with directional mic?

Based on my experience with the PS3, unique helicopter music only works if you call in the chopper yourself. If the helicopter is scripted to appear and/or Miller calls it in for you (like at the end of the destroy the AA guns mission) then the default music will play.

An alternate version of Here's To You was in MGS4, not PW. It was played during the (final) end credits.

Yes, they are equipped with a directional mic.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

- rolling shouldn't even be in the game. It's really awkward to pull off and it's not that useful.
You'll regret that one of these days. First, rolling is really easy. Just order of operations. Hold the aim button. Start moving left or right. THEN press the print button.

Second, when you get knocked on your rear end and your cover blown-up from a grenade, you'll be thankful you don't have to stand or slowly crawl to get behind the nearest cover.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Also you don't need to hold the sprint button, just tap it and hold the directional key.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Kiggles posted:

You'll regret that one of these days. First, rolling is really easy. Just order of operations. Hold the aim button. Start moving left or right. THEN press the print button.

Second, when you get knocked on your rear end and your cover blown-up from a grenade, you'll be thankful you don't have to stand or slowly crawl to get behind the nearest cover.

Never had that kind of situation, really. I'm just camping at rooftops, very rarely shooting anyone with live ammunition. But thanks, will try it.

Oh, and one other thing. I know this game is basically a tech demo, but they really should disable the choking/gasping sounds on the soldiers when you interrogate them at gunpoint. It's really silly.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Rolling is basically the one type of movement you'll use the least by far, but you'll appreciate it more than anything else when you need it.

It's basically the FPS Grenade of Boss' character movement.

• Locked thread