Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Arrested for "a spot of bother" and "rather unsavoury goings on".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Cambell Newman, putting more cops on the street, to arrest you for riding a motorbike and wearing printed tshirts.

Queensland. The Sunshine Smart Police State.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Look at that face in the background

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Ask him about stairs?

Royal commission into the pink batts stairs insulation scheme and dodgy military contractors, IMHO

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

IslamoNazi posted:

This needs to colour the rest of the entire campaign

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Amethyst posted:

This needs to colour the rest of the entire campaign

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Remember that time where the LNP won the election by arresting the opposition? Good times.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Lol nice one

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

IslamoNazi posted:

I know the doughnut-scoffing Wiggumesque cop is a bland stereotype, but that guy in the centre is seriously tubby. Jowls, straining shirt buttons, the works.

Why chase when you can taser I guess

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A friend on FB asked why the few people on his FB feed would vote LNP... chief among them replied "Better the devil you know" which was called out as a lovely reason.

So I explained my reasons. As many seem to think its all about a race between the party leader and not the local representatives.

quote:

It really depends on who is running in my electorate, as i recall in the Stafford by election only 4 candidates. LNP, ALP, GRN and FF. Of those, Greens most closely align with my political views on social rights and ecological responsibility, while we butt heads on nuclear power, i cannot in good concience vote for either of the larger parties for their complicitness in refugee policy. These are federal issues i know, but the Greens have a state view that supports public transport, while the other primary parties are focused on cars.

Family First is an enemy to reason and campaigns against female bodily autonomy and I will not give them the time of day. And so get last on my ballot.

The other two candidates, LNP Bob Anderson, a psychologist, and ALP Anthony Lyndham, an oral maxilliofacial surgeon. Are both doctors, and therefore fairly savvy individuals i hope. GRN Anne Boccabella is a small-business owner and former independent for Mt Cootha. I personally met Anne Boccabella at a rally and argued with her on several points. She tried to convince me I was dreadfully wrong about nuclear power. However I agree with her on privatization being counter productive right now and wish her well and want the Greens to get more funding via electoral votes so I will likely always put them ahead of the ALP on my ballot.
Bob Anderson in my meeting with him on the street seemed young (which normally is in their favor as we need less old stuffy white men in our politics) but came off as feeling like he'd been parachuted into the seat with the departure of Chris Davis without much understanding of the issues i valued, like NBN and religion in state education. I also had a sore run in with the Federal LNP candidate for my electorate telling me i didnt know what i was talking about and tried to dictate my values to me. Atop of that, I dont agree with how Newman has handled the absolute power he wielded in QLD.
I have not personally met Mr Lyndham but by process of elimination I voted GRN, ALP, LNP, FF.
And this will likely be the case at this election, barring the introduction of an independent, who i'll have to research, but will probably vote for provided they're not insane religious crazies because i like the destabilizing effect the independents have had on our stagnant two party system lately.

Considering the swing expected in Ashgrove its highly likely Newman will lose his seat and will not be the LNP leader come February. Assuming this is some sort of race between party leaders is naive and you should really look up your local representatives and what they stand for.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 8, 2015

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Kommando posted:

So I explained my reasons. As many seem to think its all about a race between the party leader and not the local representatives.

I agree to an extent, but remember party discipline in Australia is high and strictly enforced, so to say it's more about the parties than the people is not untrue.

The only proviso to that is that the ALP allow caucus to interpret party policy, so more "progressive" members of caucus could contribute to better policy. The LNP are essentially run by the party executive, while Greens candidates are subject to either their local group (if they're LH candidates) or the state council (if they're UH). In NSW, particularly, Greens MPs have no conscience vote whatsoever.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Something tells me nutters of all types will be running a candidate in Ashgrove.

But wait! There is one already!

quote:

Queensland Premier Campbell Newman is calling for bi-partisan support for four-year fixed terms of parliament as part of his current election campaign.

Queenslanders will go to the polls on January 31, with Mr Campbell Newman saying an early election was needed to provide certainty to business and the economy.

The LNP leader said four-year fixed terms would "give more certainty to Queensland".

Mr Newman told 612 ABC Brisbane that he hoped opposition leader Annastacia Palaszczuk would support the move.

"I would be delighted to have fixed terms on the table for this election, but sadly it needs bi-partisan support and that has not been forthcoming in previous years," he said.

"If the opposition leader is prepared to get on board we could actually have this put on the table in this campaign. I would be delighted if she said she would support four-year fixed terms."

Mr Newman said he would push for a joint agreement on the idea sooner rather than later.

"We could go through with a joint ticket on that one and then it could be put in place after the election," he said.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 8, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
It just keeps getting better

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

How do you take someone into a courtroom at all without a charge?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

How do you take someone into a courtroom at all without a charge?

I think he means that the courts will determine whether he's guilty; I thought he was charged with public nuisance.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

I think he means that the courts will determine whether he's guilty; I thought he was charged with public nuisance.

But that will happen after the election, and likely for now he'll be told to stay away from political placard wavers.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Kommando posted:

But that will happen after the election, and likely for now he'll be told to stay away from political placard wavers.

Convenient, huh?

Can anyone say "abuse of process"?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
For something a little different

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Someone wanted this on twitter, so they has it now. I'll just blame you ok.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Forget Queensland polls, Victoria is (unlikely) going back for round 2.

quote:

An unsuccessful Palmer United Party candidate has launched Supreme Court action claiming the Victorian election was invalid.

Maria Rigoni, the PUP candidate for the Northern Metropolitan Region in the Legislative Council, has lodged a petition in the Supreme Court alleging the Victorian Electoral Act was breached before November's election.

Ms Rigoni has claimed the Victorian Electoral Commission allowed constituents to vote before election day without signing a pre-poll declaration.

The eight-page petition seeks to have the election declared void in all seats.

A record 1.1 million Victorians cast a pre-poll vote before polling day on November 29.

"Any reasonable person would question whether over 30 per cent of the population can't attend one of 1780 polling centres on election day," Ms Rigoni told Fairfax Media.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
One of my university lecturers/tutors once said "both parties agree on 90 percent of bills together" something like that.
Im not sure if the statistic is true but im probably voting liberal for NSW state elections cause Labor seems to have no vision or plan (or maybe they just suck at communicating it) and don't have any plans for infrastructure especially in the west.
Even though its not the Epping Parramatta link i was hoping for at least it is lightrail macquarie link which semi fills the role of connecting chatswood with Parramatta. Major development of Parramatta historical precinct and finally making use of all those old sandstone buildings like old TKS along the river foreshore and the prisons is gonna be neat and was always a bit of a waste.

However i when it came to the last federal election i think i voted for the greens lol

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

astupiddvdcase posted:

One of my university lecturers/tutors once said "both parties agree on 90 percent of bills together" something like that.
Im not sure if the statistic is true but im probably voting liberal for NSW state elections cause Labor seems to have no vision or plan (or maybe they just suck at communicating it) and don't have any plans for infrastructure especially in the west.

Labor absolutely do suck at communicating it, but for reference, one more term of the NSW Liberal Party is going to lose us a) the entire TAFE system, and b) the entire electricity grid. Western Sydney (a region of which I am a resident) is going to be hosed over by another term of the Liberals. We can't afford to lose TAFE, and selling off the grid is going to result in a massive increase in power prices.

astupiddvdcase posted:

However i when it came to the last federal election i think i voted for the greens lol

As you should again. Phil Bradley is the candidate for Parramatta and he's awesome. The Greens also have significant plans for public transport and development in the West, both heavy and light rail, and a Western Sydney jobs plan. John Kaye, our lead LC candidate, has been one of the leading fighters in the Save TAFE campaign and for a plan to shift NSW over to 100% renewable energy.

I really suggest having a look at the Greens NSW platform and seeing if there's anything you disagree with in it. Also, remember, preferential voting means you don't need to (and honestly shouldn't) give either of the major parties your vote in the Lower House, and proportional representation in the Upper House means small parties have a better chance of getting in.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
woke up to a pretty great email from Greense NSW ahead of the upcoming NSW State elections - if they can actually get this message to cut through, they should do very very well in the boutique electorates:

quote:

Scrote,

Sydney woke up to the Fairfax headlines this morning ‘Foley gay-marriage stance may hurt Labor in Newtown’— pointing to the new NSW Labor leader’s opposition to marriage equality in our state.

Foley may claim to be a member of the Labor left, but his leadership is moving Labor further towards the right. In 2013 Foley voted against ending marriage discrimination and on economic issues he has endorsed the Baird government’s reckless privatisation agenda.

Right now the big risk is that Foley is going to get away with claiming that a vote for Labor is a vote for a progressive NSW Government. It’s not.

That’s why we’ve come up with a plan - we’ve designed 22 Greens ads to put on the back of highly-visible phone booths all over Newtown and Balmain. They highlight exactly what the Greens stand for - clean politics, stronger communities and a fairer NSW.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Labor absolutely do suck at communicating it, but for reference, one more term of the NSW Liberal Party is going to lose us a) the entire TAFE system, and b) the entire electricity grid. Western Sydney (a region of which I am a resident) is going to be hosed over by another term of the Liberals. We can't afford to lose TAFE, and selling off the grid is going to result in a massive increase in power prices.

So I don't know anything about NSW, could you maybe give a little explanation on whats going on there since it sounds dire. Will 2 terms give them time to finish constructing the death star?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

astupiddvdcase posted:

im probably voting liberal for NSW state elections cause Labor seems to have no vision or plan (or maybe they just suck at communicating it) and don't have any plans for infrastructure especially in the west.

You should not have made this decision

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014
Saw phil bradley at federal elections at local townhall saw him again few weeks later on thr same train.
Doubt greens will ever get into power and do what they want to do and i dont know what pabor wants to do at all.

astupiddvdcase fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 8, 2015

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

astupiddvdcase posted:

Major development of Parramatta historical precinct and finally making use of all those old sandstone buildings like old TKS along the river foreshore and the prisons is gonna be neat and was always a bit of a waste.

I have to point out that the old kings school was being developed under Labor as an arts precinct but the liberals put the Kibosh on that. As for the development of North Parramatta around the old prison, there are a tonne of heritage listed buildings there with huge significance. The women's factory in North Parramatta was where most of the women convicts coming to New South Wales were imprisoned and "rehabilitated". It's what the world heritage listed Tasmanian one is based on. These are some of the oldest buildings in Australia. Under the Liberals they are going to hosed up by development (and probably by Labor as well TBH).

Its not just these beautiful old buildings, but the North Parramatta redevelopment plan includes literally building over the top of Parramatta pools - they are getting rid of the loving pools.

QM is absolutely right about Phil, he is a good man - far too good for politics.

astupiddvdcase
Nov 30, 2014

Freudian Slip posted:

I have to point out that the old kings school was being developed under Labor as an arts precinct but the liberals put the Kibosh on that. As for the development of North Parramatta around the old prison, there are a tonne of heritage listed buildings there with huge significance. The women's factory in North Parramatta was where most of the women convicts coming to New South Wales were imprisoned and "rehabilitated". It's what the world heritage listed Tasmanian one is based on. These are some of the oldest buildings in Australia. Under the Liberals they are going to hosed up by development (and probably by Labor as well TBH).

Its not just these beautiful old buildings, but the North Parramatta redevelopment plan includes literally building over the top of Parramatta pools - they are getting rid of the loving pools.

QM is absolutely right about Phil, he is a good man - far too good for politics.

Yeah whether parramatta development would be a success or just meh would depend if it turns into chatswood in the west. The reallocation of powerhouse museum is a good move and i raise my eyebrows at all the inner city folks opposing it. If it makes use of the old prison or old kings school it would br fitting especially the old kings school to give it the classical museum look like australian museum and other greater museums in the states and europe. A uws campus in the cbd is also a step in the right direction even i dont know which political party wants what development i assume a lot of it is just from developers and such. The stretch of road between westfield and the eat street definitely needs "something" there to fill the void. Preferably better cafes and restaurants.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Don't get me wrong, I am very pro-development of Parramatta. Unfortunately, most "developers" are just looking to make a bunch of 50 story apartment buildings with no thought to transport and other major infrastructure to support them.
Totally agree with using either set of buildings for the power house (though can it be called the power house anymore?). I am also really chuffed that we are getting more University satellite campuses moving in (I work for Sydney Uni in Parra).
Also agree about that dead spot in the centre of Parra - I was actually looking to open a bar there a few years back in the old post office building.

Anyway - great to see another Parra Goon. Remember Vote 1 for your local Green - I can personally vouch for all of them.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

kingcom posted:

So I don't know anything about NSW, could you maybe give a little explanation on whats going on there since it sounds dire. Will 2 terms give them time to finish constructing the death star?

Baird has two major pieces of legislation in the cooker right now:

1. "Smart and Skilled." SaS will put ALL public tertiary education and vocational education and training funding in NSW out to private tender. TAFE will be forced to bid against private providers, which will lead to a deterioration of education quality, conditions for teachers and length of courses. We currently have a small amount of education funding for tender, and the third-party providers who exploit it do poo poo like telling students "you don't even have to come to class, and we give you a laptop." Currently social work organisations and peak bodies and a lot of training bodies have blacklisted the majority of third-party providers in the state, and Baird is about to hand them all of our education funding.

2. Sale "99-year lease" of the NSW electricity grid. Standard stuff, sell off a piece of fundamental infrastructure to a private company, allowing them to profit from it with absolutely no fear of competition, since you can't build competing electricity grids. The grid brings in over a billion dollars a year in returns to the state, and we're selling it for less than 20.

The NSW Liberals are also hell-bent on CSG, hate wind and solar power, love casinos, and are currently involved in selling every piece of public housing the state has available to developers.

astupiddvdcase posted:

Doubt greens will ever get into power and do what they want to do and i dont know what pabor wants to do at all.

The Greens have 6 MPs in NSW currently, and last election were instrumental in quite a lot of legislation. We have the potential for another upper house member this election, and your vote could directly go to electing him. You don't have to have majority government to hold power in a parliamentary democracy.

Again, it loses you literally nothing to give the Greens a first preference, and it means we get more campaign funding. In the Upper House, not only does it not lose you anything, you could actually be instrumental in electing a new Green.

astupiddvdcase posted:

i dont know which political party wants what development i assume a lot of it is just from developers and such

Basically, the Liberals want whatever development their wealthy donors want. Labor want whatever they can get away with giving to business without pissing off their union base. The Greens want development decisions to be more strongly devolved to a Council level on things that don't have an overall state impact (i.e. more community involvement in development decisions).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As a long term North Parra goon (well, North Rocks) it's really sad the things they'll be getting rid of in the name of building as many bland skyscrapers as possible. On the other hand, having just moved to Brisbane, I'd take that over the sprawling wasteland I now drive around on a daily basis :(

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Baird has two major pieces of legislation in the cooker right now:

1. "Smart and Skilled." SaS will put ALL public tertiary education and vocational education and training funding in NSW out to private tender. TAFE will be forced to bid against private providers, which will lead to a deterioration of education quality, conditions for teachers and length of courses. We currently have a small amount of education funding for tender, and the third-party providers who exploit it do poo poo like telling students "you don't even have to come to class, and we give you a laptop." Currently social work organisations and peak bodies and a lot of training bodies have blacklisted the majority of third-party providers in the state, and Baird is about to hand them all of our education funding.

2. Sale "99-year lease" of the NSW electricity grid. Standard stuff, sell off a piece of fundamental infrastructure to a private company, allowing them to profit from it with absolutely no fear of competition, since you can't build competing electricity grids. The grid brings in over a billion dollars a year in returns to the state, and we're selling it for less than 20.

The NSW Liberals are also hell-bent on CSG, hate wind and solar power, love casinos, and are currently involved in selling every piece of public housing the state has available to developers.

Right so they're burning the state to the ground for the insurance money.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Auspol project!

Let's all send in our """""portfolios"""""

ili
Jul 26, 2003

kingcom posted:

Right so they're burning the state to the ground for the insurance money.

No, that would imply the full value of the assets would be received by the state which could then be used to rebuild the destroyed infrastructure.

They're selling the state and everyone in it to their mates for beer money and a few board seats.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ili posted:

No, that would imply the full value of the assets would be received by the state which could then be used to rebuild the destroyed infrastructure.

They're selling the state and everyone in it to their mates for beer money and a few board seats.

I was implying the liberal party members are going to take the money and run.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
This shirtfront business in QLD keeps getting better

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

kingcom posted:

I was implying the liberal party members are going to take the money and run.

Wait until they find out someone switched the documents and the state of South Australia is listed as the sole beneficiary

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I looked up my central Brisbane candidate on facebook, here.

Being an advertising student the first thing I noticed was the off-centre profile picture, I'm no graphics designer but I went ahead and attempted to fix it.

This is how it is at the moment. I mean, it even cuts the "I'm Ready" message. Strange black boarder to the left there too.

I plan to send this to her and see if it helps out the little campaign they're running

Anidav fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Could someone explain to me the implications of Optional Preferential Voting, in particular the effect of exhausting a vote? It seems to me it is good in reducing informal vote numbers but also tends to favour the party with the highest first preference. Would the Greens still have had a good chance of winning Prahran with OPV?

• Locked thread