Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter's out. It goes how you'll expect it will. Still rad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Climbing an orbital elevator to fight in a martial arts tournament. There will be vampires, cyborgs, and AI. Also some people are probably going to be exploded via punching.

I don't have a problem with reading more Last Order I guess.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Mana as acting headmaster, eh? Was not expecting that. Wonder who the "old friend" who asked her to stand in was. Konoka, maybe?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'd groan about a tournament arc, but the tournaments in Negima were all pretty incredible.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bremen posted:

I'd groan about a tournament arc, but the tournaments in Negima were all pretty incredible.

That reminds me of how Akamatsu and his assistants randomized that one tournament leading to some fun matchups as well as still maintaining story coherency.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Allarion posted:

That reminds me of how Akamatsu and his assistants randomized that one tournament leading to some fun matchups as well as still maintaining story coherency.

Which one did they randomize?

Also yeah, Akamatsu is drat good at tournaments so despite the fact it feels like it's doing this way early in the run I'm sure he'll make it work.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Overlord K posted:

Which one did they randomize?

The prelims of the Mahora Budokai. The matchups were chosen by dice roll.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Oh man, it's so great to see the old cast from Negima! showing up again. Mana is just as awesome as ever and that fight was really great, there was a great sense of motion to it. Man, Akamatsu is so good at this stuff. :allears:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I like that they're clearly getting involved but not hijacking the plot.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

GhostStalker posted:

The prelims of the Mahora Budokai. The matchups were chosen by dice roll.

With one exception: since he wanted the final to be Negi vs Albireo, he placed them in opposite brackets. The rest were all 100% random, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bremen posted:

A lot of people point to Kyoto as being the turning point in Negima for when it got good but for me I think it was that tournament (and I suppose the Mahora Festival arc in general).

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm excited to see who shows up at the tournament. I hope we hear something about Kotarou or Ku, I wouldn't be surprised to see them involved in a thing like this. I definitely think it's too soon to see Rakan, though. Unless if in UQ Holder Kotarou fills the Rakan-shaped hole in my heart, which I would be 110% okay with.

I'm also wondering what we're gonna get for a training arc. I feel like Akamatsu generally does a good job with keeping them short and content-filled. Maybe a montage like the one Negi had before the Rakan fight?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silento posted:

I'm excited to see who shows up at the tournament. I hope we hear something about Kotarou or Ku, I wouldn't be surprised to see them involved in a thing like this. I definitely think it's too soon to see Rakan, though. Unless if in UQ Holder Kotarou fills the Rakan-shaped hole in my heart, which I would be 110% okay with.

I'm also wondering what we're gonna get for a training arc. I feel like Akamatsu generally does a good job with keeping them short and content-filled. Maybe a montage like the one Negi had before the Rakan fight?

Don't kid yourself, nothing can fill the Rakan shaped hole in your heart except Jack Rakan.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silento posted:

I hope we at least at some point get to see Karin fight again, but I guess her being basically invincible doesn't make for as good dramatic action as rapid regeneration. Ikku needs some action, especially because he is a tiny Big O.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Silento posted:

They're all immortal, so a training arc that takes years ain't no thing. Only problem would be that we're limited by Touta's friend's lifespans.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rizzen posted:

They're all immortal, so a training arc that takes years ain't no thing. Only problem would be that we're limited by Touta's friend's lifespans.

kirie said she trained a lot of magic by using her save scumming power so they could just use it as the hyperbolic time chamber

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

kirie said she trained a lot of magic by using her save scumming power so they could just use it as the hyperbolic time chamber

The "Kill your friend repeatedly for ultimate power" plan. Or can she use her power without dying? I forget.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It only took 798 attempts to perfect the dim mak, much to Kirie's annoyance.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

chumbler posted:

The "Kill your friend repeatedly for ultimate power" plan. Or can she use her power without dying? I forget.

She has to die, I think. Wasn't she using some sort of poison pill to kill herself in the plan to kidnap Fate?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bremen posted:

She has to die, I think. Wasn't she using some sort of poison pill to kill herself in the plan to kidnap Fate?

She has a cyanide capsule in her tooth, which leads to that hilarious shot of her triumphantly biting down on it towards the end of the zombie arc.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Gyges posted:

Don't kid yourself, nothing can fill the Tyrannic Blazing Roaring Dragon Exploding Flash Demon God Air Cleaving Rakan Fist shaped hole in your heart.

Ftfy

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The chances that Tota isn't just Negi reincarnated after a fashion when a wizard did something are falling to abysmally low numbers.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Angry Grimace posted:

The chances that Tota isn't just Negi reincarnated after a fashion when a wizard did something are falling to abysmally low numbers.

Huh? I don't see this at all, not even a little bit. For starters, Tota's personality is polar opposite to Negi's.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

HellCopter posted:

Huh? I don't see this at all, not even a little bit. For starters, Tota's personality is polar opposite to Negi's.

If you were reincarnated in Japan as a Japanese baby with Japanese parents, I bet you would have a different personality than you do now.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Not completely. If you consider that magia erebea is fueled by negative emotions and look at what negative emotions Touta has shown thus far, they're surprisingly similar, though I don't buy the reincarnation theory either. Where Negi was fueled by revenge, Touta just has a short temper, he's always the first one to get mad at the villain of the week and has shown plenty of angry reaction faces. And where Negi was constantly worrying about whether he was doing the right thing, Touta is worrying about having no skill to call his own besides fighting, which he doesn't care for. It still boils down to self-consciousness issues and anger.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Doubt and anger are completely natural reactions to the situations in this manga, though? Touta is totally Negi because he got angry at people who burned down a slum town and killed the innocent inhabitants and has doubted his ability after getting beaten up, you know!

I think Touta is much more like Nagi than Negi anyway, though he still isn't a carbon copy since he lacks Nagi's signature all-consuming arrogance.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
I didn't mean to imply that their personalities are the same. I just meant that they use similar emotions as the source of their power. Since Touta didn't explode like Rakan the first time he activated magia erebea, we can be pretty sure that there are some negative emotions beneath his happy go lucky attitude. And the only ones we've seen hints of thus far are him being quick to anger (and quick to forgive and forget, like all shounen hotheads) and doubting himself.

And by doubting himself I mean the whole thing where every time he gets complimented on his scooter fixing or cooking or whatever, he goes all "I'm not that good and know people who are better and more amazing". Not that he felt down after losing. He always plays up the accomplishments of others and downplays his own.

I just thought that there was a nice symmetry there if you compare it to what Negi used to fuel his magia erebea. They express themselves completely differently, but underneath are variations of the same emotions.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

New chapter is out. Short cameos by Ku Fei and Yue in flashbacks, (apparently they won a previous Mahora Budokai in 2015), Eva shows up in kid form near the end, as does Fate on the last page.

Looks like there's of course going to be a training arc of some sort before we hit the tournament proper, which isn't scheduled for another year in story, with Mana overseeing Touta's training, though I think Eva will be helping out in some manner... Looking forward to it.

More Negi mystery, as apparently he signed up for the tournament as well...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 14, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Placing my bet: It's going to be Colonel Sanders all over again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm betting on it being Nagi. Hell, why not? Aside from the many obvious reasons, I mean.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Placing my bet: It's going to be Colonel Sanders all over again.

I hope it's actually him again too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GodFish posted:

I hope it's actually him again too.

The Eva rage-levels alone would justify it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Colonel Sanders, Jack Rakan, or Nagi would all be acceptable. Also I like Fate just strolling up out of nowhere and striking his best model pose.

Touta blushing at the images of Ku Fei and Yue is more evidence on the pile of him actually being reincarnated Negi or having Negi's soul jammed into him or something. And I guess they must have had some renown if Kuroumaru recognized them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pfffft, Fate: "I sensed something vaguely Negi related was happening so I came running!"

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Rodyle posted:

Pfffft, Fate: "I sensed something vaguely Negi related was happening so I came running!"

I love that even the narration is making fun of him for it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is Eva's cottage with it's collection of hyperbolic time chambers still around?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

Is Eva's cottage with it's collection of hyperbolic time chambers still around?

The nice thing about an immortal cast is that they can change the time rate to anything the story requires. 100 years spent training? No problem. Thus far, the immortality thing has focused on the unkillable aspect instead of the longevity.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

The nice thing about an immortal cast is that they can change the time rate to anything the story requires. 100 years spent training? No problem. Thus far, the immortality thing has focused on the unkillable aspect instead of the longevity.

That's how they said Kirie learned magic so they've already touched on it a little.

But what I want to see is old kung fu master Ku with a long white beard. Preferable entering the tournament with the name Jackie Chun. Hell, just have as much of the old cast as possible enter under silly, obviously fake names.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I'm betting on it being Nagi. Hell, why not? Aside from the many obvious reasons, I mean.

Well, Negi signed up for a tournament under Nagi's name. It would only be fair.

But Colonel Sanders would also explain how it had Negi's DNA on it. Whatever, this chapter made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Real time can't explore longevity until Touta meets his friends at the top of the tower. Hyperbolic time chambers can be centuries long though.

• Locked thread