Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

SeANMcBAY posted:

This piece of poo poo literally fell apart in my hands while I was playing a game.

Ugh, I have nightmares of being stuck with that one because nobody else would put up with it. loving terrible.

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Arcade Shark by Interact

Ahahaha, what?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Synthetic Hermit posted:

SuperPad 64 by Performance

SuperPad 64 Plus by Performance

I have both of these. The first was the best 3rd party controller I used until the Z button just sorta melted one day in an intense match of Goldeneye. The stick actually worked well, which was rare in 3rd party controllers of the day.

The second one...man, could not get used to that thing at ALL.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Synthetic Hermit posted:

MakoPad by InterAct

I own this exact Makopad, as in the exact one in the picture. It's the most recent one Retrogames.co.uk had in stock, and I happened to buy that one.

It's pretty good and surprisingly comfortable (in my hands at least). The buttons aren't quite as good as the ones on the official controller, but the stick is quite nice and I actually prefer using the Makopad for most games nowadays.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 21, 2014

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Even as an 8 year old I knew to stay away from third-party junk. Official 4 lyfe.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Frankston posted:

Even as an 8 year old I knew to stay away from third-party junk. Official 4 lyfe.

I learned the hard way on third-party controllers when my first Playstation's controller ports died due to a lovely rumble pad. Fortunately my parents, who had forced me to get the cheaper controller instead of a proper PS1 dual shock pad like I wanted, decided it wasn't my fault the PS blew up and bought me a new one.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Frankston posted:

I'm an official guy too, but I bought the SuperPad 64 because I was fascinated by third party controllers licensed by Nintendo. I rarely used it and I still have it.

Was the SuperPad 64 Plus licensed by Nintendo?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Frankston posted:

My experience was bittersweet. One of the chunkier 64 pads, with rubberized grips, slow and turbo options. Slow was just rapid start presses, so it was useless in many games.

It was the most comfortable controller I've ever used, but the analog stick was trash. You had to constantly fiddle with reorientation and use it only in games with larger dead zones.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is pretty cliche, since I've never met anybody who didn't like the game, but I still do the occasional playthrough of Ocarina of Time. I still remember when I was a kid playing that. Took me a while to beat it too. Game really is one of the best ever made.

That and the hours and hours spent playing Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and Smash Bros. I don't think there's been too many consoles that have gotten so much replay time out of so few games - for me at least.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ice Fist posted:

This is pretty cliche, since I've never met anybody who didn't like the game, but I still do the occasional playthrough of Ocarina of Time. I still remember when I was a kid playing that. Took me a while to beat it too. Game really is one of the best ever made.

That and the hours and hours spent playing Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and Smash Bros. I don't think there's been too many consoles that have gotten so much replay time out of so few games - for me at least.

Submissions are being accepted for Awesome Games Done Quick 2015, the biannual speedrunning marathon/charity fundraiser. One of the top Goldeneye runners, rwhitegoose, proposed a Nintendo 64 Triathlon: Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, and Ocarina of Time. Runners of each game, most of them world record holders, would make a team of three and pass the controller off once their game is beaten relay-style. Unfortunately the submission was rejected. :(

Full list: http://gamesdonequick.com/submission/all Lots of N64 games so I'd say it's relevant.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Cubey posted:

The second one...man, could not get used to that thing at ALL.

I love the makopad and the superpad 64.
I use a superpad like that for most games. I use an original style controller for Sin and Punishment.
But for fighting games, superpad all the way. But.....that's because I don't have a Hori Mini, which I didn't see in the list.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hori mini supremacy. It's probably the most expensive and tiniest controller.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I'm curious why is the Rayman 2 port on the N64 seemingly valued as much as the Dreamcast port.

Is it just because it's a green cart or was the n64 port somewhat unique?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Synthetic Hermit posted:

SharkPad Pro 642 by InterAct

SeANMcBAY posted:

This piece of poo poo literally fell apart in my hands while I was playing a game.

Hahahaha mine stopped working just an hour after I started playing. Back to the store it went!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I'm curious why is the Rayman 2 port on the N64 seemingly valued as much as the Dreamcast port.

Is it just because it's a green cart or was the n64 port somewhat unique?

All I know are the facts - the N64 was a much better selling console (over three times more worldwide), the N64 port came first (before the PC release even), and it's a very good port. Great graphics, music, and controls. Similar situation with the DC and N64 versions of Episode I Racer.

Also, I didn't list the Hori Mini because it uses a GameCube style stick - the list is just for the classic controllers.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Z1h_H5wpQ

Some excellent classic N64 promos:

E3 1999
Hot Newz
Diddy Kong Racing
Top Gear Rally
Nintendo Sports

Also, a few classic commercials:

Donkey Kong 64
Banjo-Tooie
WTF!! :xd:

Pokémon Snap fan site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx7UJ9wMOFo

Element1290
Oct 17, 2012
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Nintendo would make so much more money if the Wii and WiiU was an HD version of N64 and all the N64 games. Amirite?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Element1290 posted:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Nintendo would make so much more money if the Wii and WiiU was an HD version of N64 and all the N64 games. Amirite?

Wii, no - that sold WAY more thanks to the motion control fad. Wii U, theoretically.

But once you take out all the Rareware games and the third-party games from defunct publishers/developers, you're pretty much left with the games the Wii U already has/will have, just better quality/more memorable.

Also, the N64 was more powerful than PS1 and Saturn - if the Wii U was more powerful than the PS4 and Xbone, the price would be through the roof, negating the improved game quality.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I, for one, want an HD version of Body Harvest. Get on that poo poo, Rockstar North. :getin:

Element1290
Oct 17, 2012

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Wii, no - that sold WAY more thanks to the motion control fad. Wii U, theoretically.

But once you take out all the Rareware games and the third-party games from defunct publishers/developers, you're pretty much left with the games the Wii U already has/will have, just better quality/more memorable.

Also, the N64 was more powerful than PS1 and Saturn - if the Wii U was more powerful than the PS4 and Xbone, the price would be through the roof, negating the improved game quality.

Take away the motion control gimmick and what are you left with? I'm simply talking about the quality of the games. I feel like if the Wii systems had gone the HD route and remade some of those classic N64 games, they could have done much better. I, for one, would have bought one instantly. Instead, I just laughed them off and bought a 360.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgfxro8-iGw

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Commissar Ken posted:

Ahahaha, what?!?

I had that piece of poo poo Arcade Shark. It may have been the worst controller I've ever used.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/08/26/ign-plays-super-mario-64?watch

For Nintendo's 125th birthday, IGN played 125 of Nintendo's very best games, including plenty of 64 games. Full list below the video!

:keke:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
More nutty N64 ads!

Waialae Golf
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
Hey You, Pikachu!
Paper Mario
Paperboy

Christmas!

Plus, a totally epic nostalgia trip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0D8bcCl4yU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Here's some swell articles from Nintendo Life! :greatgift:

The System
The Controller
64 Weeks, 64 Games

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
A few items...

First off, aside from the lack of audio, CEN64 is progressing nicely. It's now faster, boots more games, and has the beginnings of 64DD support! :keke:

Second, some cool videos.

And lastly, my Top 15 non-Nintendo/Rareware/Star Wars titles!

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Here's some non-Nintendo Power magazines I remember from back in the day:

Electronic Gaming Monthly

Expert Gamer (formerly EGM2)

Gamepro

Tips & Tricks

And what the hey...one more NP:

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Synthetic Hermit posted:

And lastly, my Top 15 non-Nintendo/Rareware/Star Wars titles!

Whoa whoa whoa... Attitude but not No Mercy or even Wrestlemania 2000?!? Were you drunk?

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Commissar Ken posted:

Whoa whoa whoa... Attitude but not No Mercy or even Wrestlemania 2000?!? Were you drunk?

I'm not a big fan of the style of those games. It's just plain ol' personal preference.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
At last....

I HAVE THE POWER :getin:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

My muscle memory wouldn't allow it haha.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Now do a Goldeneye DLTK run with it! :cheeky:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I stumbled across a great youtube channel for N64 games:
https://www.youtube.com/user/glennplant/videos
The guy has a pretty impressive collection and it looks like he intends on reviewing them all

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

At last....

I HAVE THE POWER :getin:

What the hell is that?

E: speaking of controllers, I recently got a ps4 controller to use with my pc and it's not bad for 64 emu use. I'm using the trackpad as the d-pad, which was always an issue for me with other setups.

site fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 19, 2015

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

What the hell is that?

See this post on page 11 ~ The Glove by Reality Quest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Doh! In my defense that post was 5 months ago...

To change the subject: can anyone give me some pointers on the state of the 64 emu scene right now. What's still being updated, and what are the best plugins to use, specifically for Perfect Dark and (ugh) Jet Force Gemini. I just busted out a year+ old version of project64 w/ stock plugins when i bought the new controller so my poo poo's probably hella weak now.

My PC is getting a bit up there in age:
Core2quad q6600 oc'd to 2.8ghz
Ati radeon 5870
8gb ram

e: alternatively, has anybody attempted to bring the 360 port of PD to PC?

site fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 20, 2015

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Generally, you haven't missed much. "Traditional" N64 emulation has been stagnating for years. Cen64 is the hot new jam in which it'll be a cycle-accurate emulator much like higan/bsnes.

There was also a crowdfunding thing for GLideN64, which calls itself an "open-source graphics plugin for N64 emulators." I feel that's just throwing more software hacks at ineffective code designed for decade-old computers, while something like Cen64 will just work since it will be executing exactly as an N64 would. That said, I remember using Glide's 'Napalm' releases with pretty good results for some of the more demanding games like Jet Force Gemini and Majora's Mask

There's a proof-of-concept emulator for the 360 that only plays the XBLA game Frogger 2, so if you're itching to play the 360 version of PD then your only option is on the console itself.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
The last emulator I used was Mupen64 with the Glide Napalm video plugin. It worked reasonably well, but SO many things still don't look or work right...

If you ain't picky, try that - otherwise, just keep following CEN64's progress! :cheers:

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cool. Thanks for the tips!

• Locked thread