Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Aha!

Speaking of split personalities, it's...

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Sasuke recruits his final team member, and boy does that kid know how to pick 'em. Afterward, he finally fills them in on their collective mission.
...Who made this guy the leader, anyways?

Characters Introduced This Update

Jugo
An ex-prisoner of Orochimaru and the final member of Sasuke’s new team. Unlike all of Orochimaru’s other prisoners, Jugo became a prisoner of his own will to protect others from himself. He has a split personality: his normal personality is gentle and kind, while his other personality is violent and murderous. He switches personalities at random and Jugo cannot repress these changes, making him a dangerous person to work with. He has an ability called Sage Transformation that comes out when he changes though, that allows him to absorb natural energy in order to transform his body at will. Orochimaru was able to use Jugo’s blood to create his curse marks, which releases a murderous intent in others and transforms their body. He can also talk to animals and transfer his chakra to others.

Terms Introduced This Update
Hebi
Literally meaning “snake”, the new team headed by Sasuke. Sasuke created this team with the goal of killing his brother Itachi. It ultimately is less of a team and more a group of convenience, as it was made up of ninja previously held in Orochimaru’s hideouts before his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The attitude for this update might be a little heated, but maybe we should cool down and blaze up with an official thread contest!

The image should explain everything, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask in the thread!
Other prizes will probably be added later so I can do a tier result, including a copy of Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution!!! I'll keep the post updated as I come up with prizes and entries.

To help you get started with ideas, here are some entries generously donated early by some friends of the thread!
SweetNAwful: "Dattebayolo!"
Cybernemic: The OG Choji Morning Show
FutureFriend: "Buh-LAZE It!"

New Entries!
Level Seven: "Eight Grams Sixty-Four Bongs"
Shadow225: "O.T Genasis - KoKonan"

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 10, 2015

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

We can't stop here, this is the Village Hidden in the Bats.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The level of naruto ignorance (narutignorance) displayed by the LPers in this thread is loving atrocious, I don't even know how you two get to sleep at night when you are so constantly wrong about anime :colbert:

More seriously though I find it interesting that the creators of this game very clearly expect anyone who plays it to already be familiar with the Naruto storyline because they sure as hell aren't going out of their way to explain, well anything really :v:
I wonder if that was an accurate assumption.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

It's time to ring in the new year! And what a better way to celebrate than...

Today, Sasuke and his new team begin their search of Itachi! However, someone seems to have taken an interest in Sasuke's movement, and is ready to stop him before he can get too close to his brother. Can Sasuke face this unseen threat, or will his plan go up in a bang? Find out today in the conclusion of Chapter 4: Hebi Formation!

Always remember:

Characters Introduced This Update

Tobi
Rest in loving pieces.

Also, friendly reminder that there's still a contest going on where you can win forum upgrades AND copies of the latest Naruto game! Check the top of the page for deets!

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Man, this game brings back memories.

When I first moved out, it was with a couple mates and we spent about six months blazed and playing this non-stop because it was the only game we had. I can think of better uses for half a year of my life, and certainly better games if I were to waste that time anyway, but I still wouldn't take it back.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ChorpSaway posted:

Tobi
Rest in loving pieces.

Heh heh hehehe ahahahahaha :cawg:

Oh if only.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what difficulty setting would you say the AI is at this point in the game? Unless they are saving Hard mode for the last chapter or somthing.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I still have no idea what the gently caress the point of Goofy Tobi even was, in retrospect.

Also, the Great Snake Escape is one of the dumbest things that ever happened in the series, and that's saying a lot.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

U.T. Raptor posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress the point of Goofy Tobi even was, in retrospect.

Its a ruse. He's deliberately acting like a retarded puppy so that the rest of the Akatsuki don't realise that he's puppeting the apparent 'leader' while being puppeted by the puppet of the person who is really in charge.

Yeah this story is stupid.

Also talk about a sudden ending for Deidara, his final move (called C0 :v:) gets a lot more attention in the story. When he activates it he tears his shirt off entirely to reveal a fourth mouth on his chest over his heart, he feeds that a bunch of his explodey clay and then his flesh turns transparent while his veins turn black and the mouth in his chest turns into a chain chomp. Then he explodes after monologuing for most of the episode.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 2, 2015

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Christ I've kept up with Naruto for way too long, I still remember when everyone insisted that the leader of the Akatsuki was totally Naruto's dad. Also I miss this Tobi, he was kinda refreshing. Like he knew what a ridiculous series he was in and he decided to roll with it.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what difficulty setting would you say the AI is at this point in the game? Unless they are saving Hard mode for the last chapter or somthing.

What you haven't seen are a number of fights where I get the poo poo kicked out of me. If they get a good hit in, they can drop some pretty nasty combos at this point. I think the end of next chapter is when it really starts to pick up, and then the last chapter can get pretty tough if you're not careful. But this is about where it edges from high Normal to mid Hard, IMO.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Neruz posted:

Also talk about a sudden ending for Deidara, his final move (called C0 :v:) gets a lot more attention in the story. When he activates it he tears his shirt off entirely to reveal a fourth mouth on his chest over his heart, he feeds that a bunch of his explodey clay and then his flesh turns transparent while his veins turn black and the mouth in his chest turns into a chain chomp. Then he explodes after monologuing for most of the episode.

Bizarre. His body turns transparent, except for his eyes, mouth and hair... and you can see the satchel he's wearing through his body, but not his hair. Then again, you can often see people's eyes through their hair in anime, so it's just weird that way, I guess.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Pyrotoad posted:

Christ I've kept up with Naruto for way too long, I still remember when everyone insisted that the leader of the Akatsuki was totally Naruto's dad. Also I miss this Tobi, he was kinda refreshing. Like he knew what a ridiculous series he was in and he decided to roll with it.

This version of Tobi is even more hilarious in light of who he turns out to be.

Though I don't think this game covers that part of the story so viewers may never know Tobi as anything else.

Montegoraon posted:

Bizarre. His body turns transparent, except for his eyes, mouth and hair... and you can see the satchel he's wearing through his body, but not his hair. Then again, you can often see people's eyes through their hair in anime, so it's just weird that way, I guess.

Up until the Akatsuki most of the canon stuff in Naruto is fairly tame, some of the filler arcs in the anime got a bit weird but generally nothing objectively 'what the gently caress' happens.

This changes, beginning with the Akatsuki the powers start becoming larger and more absurd by an entire order of magnitude. We've already seen a bit of that with the two immortals, Deidara and the puppet guy but it still gets bigger.

E: By the way, Hidan is canonically the only truly immortal character in the entire story. Yes he is in fact 100% genuinely immortal, he's still alive in that hole and he will be until he breaks one of the tenants of his religion which he obviously can't do while cut up and buried in a hole. So he's just going to be down there forever. Multiple other characters have 'gain immortality' as pretty much their entire driving motivation but we will never hear anything about Hidan and the fact that he achieved immortality ever again. It's implied this is because Hidan's immortality only works on people who genuinely believe, which excludes pretty much everyone except Hidan.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 3, 2015

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

Though I don't think this game covers that part of the story

It definitely covers a part of it, so if y'all could cool it a bit with these partial spoilers and hintings, that'd be great, thanks!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ChorpSaway posted:

It definitely covers a part of it, so if y'all could cool it a bit with these partial spoilers and hintings, that'd be great, thanks!

Whoops my apologies then, I thought this one ended after the fight shown at the start. I shall shut up about future things then.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

the only thing i want spoiled is the link to tobi's okcupid profile

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I mean at least Tobi has some buildup in the manga. Like, Deidara comments that he's impressed that Tobi was able to take down the roaming 3-tailed-(I think crab or something) with a single technique, but we don't see what it is yet and are left just having to accept that it happened.

Also Sasuke survives the explosion by summoning Orochimaru's giant snake around him, sacrificing it for his own selfish needs. I don't think a summoning technique can just be used to teleport the user wherever, but it would cost money to model the giant snake or something.

This game's story mode is poo poo is what I'm saying. It fails to do Naruto, a garbage manga, justice, which is impressive if it weren't so stupid.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

^^To be fair that snake was a massive rear end in a top hat that had already threatened to kill Sasuke if he was ever summoned again IIRC.

Neruz posted:

Up until the Akatsuki most of the canon stuff in Naruto is fairly tame, some of the filler arcs in the anime got a bit weird but generally nothing objectively 'what the gently caress' happens.

This changes, beginning with the Akatsuki the powers start becoming larger and more absurd by an entire order of magnitude. We've already seen a bit of that with the two immortals, Deidara and the puppet guy but it still gets bigger.

You must not be remembering the Sound Four (really five (actually 6 if you think about it)) if you think there weren't absurd powers before Shippudden.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 3, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Steak Justice posted:

I mean at least Tobi has some buildup in the manga. Like, Deidara comments that he's impressed that Tobi was able to take down the roaming 3-tailed-(I think crab or something) with a single technique, but we don't see what it is yet and are left just having to accept that it happened.

I think the Anime actually fleshes out the hunt to cover an entire mini-arc and we get to see multiple episodes of Tobi acting like a complete idiot while manhandling everyone that gets in his way.

Also Sasuke survives the explosion by summoning Orochimaru's giant snake around him, sacrificing it for his own selfish needs. I don't think a summoning technique can just be used to teleport the user wherever, but it would cost money to model the giant snake or something.

sirtommygunn posted:

^^To be fair that snake was a massive rear end in a top hat that had already threatened to kill Sasuke if he was ever summoned again IIRC.

Manda hates Sasuke with a vengeance, so how the hell Sasuke managed to make a summoning contract with the snakes in the first place when their boss (but not their leader, their leader is a big white snake who appears mostly ambivalent towards Sasuke) hates him I don't know.

This game's story mode is poo poo is what I'm saying. It fails to do Naruto, a garbage manga, justice, which is impressive if it weren't so stupid.

Yeah it's pretty obvious they expect that anyone who is playing this game is familiar with the Naruto story which is a really odd decision all things considered.

You must not be remembering the Sound Four (really five (actually 6 if you think about it)) if you think there weren't absurd powers before Shippudden.

The Sound Four who were actually Six were pretty weird but they have absolutely nothing on the powers that start showing up during the later arcs of Shippuden, especially powers related to goddamn magic eyeballs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And to think all this would have been avoided if someone had just called Deidara a waahmbulance.

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine

Neruz posted:

So [Hidan's] just going to be down there forever.

Actually the author said in an artbook or something that Hidan needs to make sacrifices once in a while in order to maintain his immortality. So while he will stay in the hole alive for a while, he will eventually die. I don't think the author said when will that be.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

DoublePLayer posted:

Actually the author said in an artbook or something that Hidan needs to make sacrifices once in a while in order to maintain his immortality. So while he will stay in the hole alive for a while, he will eventually die. I don't think the author said when will that be.

Must be awhile because he's definitely still alive later. It doesn't really matter though because he and his batshit religion never come up ever again.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Today, after a rather explosive detour, Sasuke and team are back on the hunt for Itachi! However, it seems Sasuke's brother has other plans... Who is truly being hunted right now? Find out today in Chapter 5: Brothers!

Glossary Terms This Episode
Genjutsu
Ninja abilities that focus on creating illusions. Genjutsu techniques manipulate the flow of chakra in a person’s brain, causing them to feel pain, hallucinate, or otherwise disrupt the person’s senses.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Good ole Itachi; the original overpowered magic eyeball user and still the best.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Genjutsu are just illusion magic and can actually be used by anybody but they really only work for magic eyeball people against non-magic eyeball people.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

sirtommygunn posted:

Genjutsu are just illusion magic and can actually be used by anybody but they really only work for magic eyeball people against non-magic eyeball people.

Pretty much, almost anyone who doesn't have magic eyes can only create illusions that can be ignored or suppressed with minor effort and only really work if the target doesn't realize illusions are happening which is why it's generally regarded as the weakest of the three ninja disciplines. There are a couple of exceptions but they're few and far between and I don't think we'll see any of them in this game.

That said, the people with magic eyes can do some totally completely and utterly bullshit overpowered things with Genjutsu, hopefully we'll get to see Izanagi being a thing but even if not Itachi and Sasuke are still going to demonstrate all kinds of nonsense magic eyeball powers.

e: Also note about Suigetsu; he doesn't turn into water he just is water. His entire body is composed of water and his 'thing' is basically being totally unkillable as a result. Outside of the games normal physical attacks have no impact on him and just pass harmlessly through his water body and even chakra attacks have substantially reduced effects.

It is hinted that making him evaporate would kill him, but anything short of that he'll bounce back from especially if he has access to a water source. Despite this he is super paranoid about dying and typically tries to avoid combat where possible.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 9, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Genjutsu are just illusion magic and can actually be used by anybody* but they really only work for magic eyeball people against non-magic eyeball people.
*except Rock Lee. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rock Lee is too good for your ninja magic bullshit.

Edit: Can this be the theme song of the thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYpTgl-QgQ

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 9, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Waffleman_ posted:

Rock Lee is too good for your ninja magic bullshit.

Supposedly the chakra gates are a thing anyone can use but afaik nobody other than Might Guy and Rock Lee ever actually use any of them at all. I'm 90% sure that they are actually some kind of secret ninja magic and Guy is just bullshitting everyone when he claims that he can throw flaming tiger punches with nothing more than air pressure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Stone Cold Steve Itachi might be the best joke in the LP so far, but then, I'm a sucker for any reference to that whole IT WAS ME gag. But the keikaku subtitle gag was a pretty close 2nd.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Could someone explain the Free references?
Otherwise, I'm loving the fact that you guys are punning a million miles an hour. I could watch pretty much any game with that commentary.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Free is an anime about swimming pretty boys.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

It's almost always in reference to a character named Rin, who is commonly referred to as a shark due to his silly razor teeth, like Suigetsu and Kisame have.
So the fact that they have the teeth and also have crazy water powers mean we can't help but make swimming anime jokes about them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Kisame is totally a shark person though. I don't think that ever gets explained either he's just half shark half man.
Given that the Akatsuki are all renegades its presumably the result of some forbidden ninja magic he stole from the Hidden Mist when he left.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Neruz posted:

Kisame is totally a shark person though. I don't think that ever gets explained either he's just half shark half man.
Given that the Akatsuki are all renegades its presumably the result of some forbidden ninja magic he stole from the Hidden Mist when he left.

A quick skim of the Naruto wiki does not give an explanation, but tells me that it's probably a relic from Kishimoto's original plan to make all of the Akatsuki monsters.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Neruz posted:

...its presumably the result of some forbidden ninja magic he stole from the Hidden Mist when he left.

That's Kakuzu - He stole his immortality-stitching from Waterfall when he left. Kisame probably has a ninja blood limit and is descended from shark people.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dancingbears posted:

That's Kakuzu - He stole his immortality-stitching from Waterfall when he left. Kisame probably has a ninja blood limit and is descended from shark people.

You're right, he stole his 'sword' rather than any techniques from the Hidden Mist when he went rogue. A flashback to the past reveals young Kisame was also a shark person so yeah he's either descended from shark people or is the result of an experiment to make shark people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

You were mistaking Storm 1 Itachi (who does have an exploding clone jutsu) for Storm 2 Itachi (who just uses Fire Ball). :ssh: He also tried to use his jutsu at least once in that fight but you interrupted it.

Neruz posted:

You're right, he stole his 'sword' rather than any techniques from the Hidden Mist when he went rogue. A flashback to the past reveals young Kisame was also a shark person so yeah he's either descended from shark people or is the result of an experiment to make shark people.
iirc, there was another Swordsman of the Mist (the guy who had Kisame's sword before him, I think) who was also a fishman.

• Locked thread