Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Again, you'll need to explain for me to understand, because I don't see an effect. Plus, Amoeba is the one who changed the map; how does that reflect on f_v's alignment?

And if you give me a sololy flavor-based argument, you're going onto the "if I only had a gun" list with Hiip.

Byers, can you talk more about your thought process here? Given that we knew that someone changed the map through a day action, your skepticism re: the map-change actually having affected the game is baffling. Of course it has, but not everybody knows how, and that should be obvious?

The second line here especially looks a lot like fishing - you're demanding an explanation and threatening to put someone on your shitlist (but not making a call on their alignment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So I'm scum because I'm not posting 100% serious mafia all the time? If the game was at a point where there was some serious discussion going on and I interrupted it to distract with no content posts that would be one thing, but look at the context of the thread when I made those comments.

If WO is claiming something about his role (which is a big assumption on your part) that has nothing to do with me and to claim I prompted that with a "rolefishing" comment is a really big stretch.

I thought the map change would have an effect on the game rules. Diq posted some flavour stuff and that was all. If people did have individual effects then there was no way for me to know or expect that so how could I be rolefishing for it?

I posted a theory about why someone else might have thought you wee scummy, Not even voting you, and you feel the need to react by writing something meticulously trying to discredit every element of it with a paragraph. This kind of defensiveness Makes me think I'm on the right track.

Are you seriously suggesting you couldn't be expected to assume that a day action actually did something that only some players might know, so "how could you be role fishing?"

##vote fiery_valkyrie

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Are you seriously suggesting you couldn't be expected to assume that a day action actually did something that only some players might know, so "how could you be rolefishing

Yes, I'm seriously telling you that it never even occurred to me as an option.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I posted a theory about why someone else might have thought you wee scummy, Not even voting you, and you feel the need to react by writing something meticulously trying to discredit every element of it with a paragraph. This kind of defensiveness Makes me think I'm on the right track.

Why wouldn't I defend myself? You might not have voted me but you were sure as hell not calling me town.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Pinterest Mom posted:

Byers, can you talk more about your thought process here? Given that we knew that someone changed the map through a day action, your skepticism re: the map-change actually having affected the game is baffling. Of course it has, but not everybody knows how, and that should be obvious?

The second line here especially looks a lot like fishing - you're demanding an explanation and threatening to put someone on your shitlist (but not making a call on their alignment).

Combination of two things; one, I didn't consider that the map change might have an impact on roles, because it had none on mine. Two, WO used the map change to case f_v and since the only thing I saw different was flavor, I thought he was making a flavor argument. So I tried to figure out what the hell he was talking about, and threatened him in advance if it was a flavor argument because in that situation, making a purely flavor-based case on f_v would deserve a bullet.

Now that I understand what he meant? It's a bad case. Not scummy, just bad. For people affected, it seems obvious that the map change was important or whatever, but for those who weren't there's two ways to consider it: assume it's important and you don't know why, or ignore it. I ignored it, f_v and Amoeba both questioned what might have happened. It's not a scum tell to wonder what effect a day action may have had.

f_v's scum, but casing based on a general WTF reason isn't a good case. Especially not using WO's given logic (if scum aren't affected by it, they can't know to rolefish, so you can't both look for scum to be unaffected and want to case them for rolefishing).

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I disagree about the map change casing, but I really like KFC's case that looks at f_v's reaction to it. It's a combination of rapid fire posts and that point by point rebuttal, and it does feel desperate. It also allows f_v to defend against the worst case made against here (map change) and not the better cases laid out yesterday (interactions with YPM, Rarity, and Somber).

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
There's a difference between defending yourself, which you could've done by saying "Yeah, that's not what was up, I just wanted to know what happened." and Writing multiple sentences to attack every part of what I brought up -- 2 sentences on the idea of padding.* (also the "if I was doing _this_ I'd be scummy, but I'm not, so I'm not" phrasing/structure pings my gut)
and then like 5 more to talk about how big a stretch it is that WO is making some kind of claim (It's not a stretch at all and I was right)
and then how silly the idea that you were possibly rolefishing is (hint: it's not).

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yes, I'm seriously telling you that it never even occurred to me as an option.
That strains credibility. Why would a mod have a day action that triggered public flavor and did NOTHING else? Pmom's already commented on how strange this was coming from Byers.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

a) I'm not scum
b) I haven't replied to YPM or yourself Byers because I'm phone posting from work and had more that I wanted to say/quote than I can easily do this way
c) I'm not scum

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Byers2142 posted:

Especially not using WO's given logic (if scum aren't affected by it, they can't know to rolefish, so you can't both look for scum to be unaffected and want to case them for rolefishing).

My thoughts were more along the line of scum trying to figure out exactly what the map change did, and the rolefishing being more of effectfishing if that makes sense. Sorry, I'm not good at explaining what I mean.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
did i #vote valary yet

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

There's a difference between defending yourself, which you could've done by saying "Yeah, that's not what was up, I just wanted to know what happened." and Writing multiple sentences to attack every part of what I brought up -- 2 sentences on the idea of padding.* (also the "if I was doing _this_ I'd be scummy, but I'm not, so I'm not" phrasing/structure pings my gut)
and then like 5 more to talk about how big a stretch it is that WO is making some kind of claim (It's not a stretch at all and I was right)
and then how silly the idea that you were possibly rolefishing is (hint: it's not).

That's how I write. Using a different number of words than you would doesn't make me scum.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

That strains credibility. Why would a mod have a day action that triggered public flavor and did NOTHING else? Pmom's already commented on how strange this was coming from Byers.

I don't know why a mod would have a day action that did nothing but trigger flavour. That's why I asked if there wasn't an effect. Because I didn't see one.

Is it really so incredulous for me to have not assumed that there would be private effects? How is it scummy to have not assumed this?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
valary does it make you mad to know that im not really reading your posts or anyone elses and am just going by my first impression which you will never be able to change no matter what you do or how convincingly you post

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

uranus posted:

valary does it make you mad to know that im not really reading your posts or anyone elses and am just going by my first impression which you will never be able to change no matter what you do or how convincingly you post

No, because I've played with you plenty of times before. Keep on trucking.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

To be fair, why would a mod have a Godfather in a game without a cop? Why would a mod have an insane cop? To play with the idea of an informed minority/uninformed majority through misinformation. I've been in games where the mods have given out day actions that did nothing, sometimes with superficial effects to them. f_v's initial reaction to the map change was a null tell, but I agree with the rest of what you're saying.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Winged Orpheus posted:

My thoughts were more along the line of scum trying to figure out exactly what the map change did, and the rolefishing being more of effectfishing if that makes sense. Sorry, I'm not good at explaining what I mean.

That makes more sense. Now, why is it a scum tell to want to know the effect? That's the part I'm not getting; someone trying to learn what was affected by a day action is a null tell. At best, you could make the argument that all it tells us is that Amoeba and f_v can't be scumbros, or else why ask in the thread, but even that's a weak argument to make with other supporting evidence to shore it up.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

uranus posted:

Keep up, spacebutt, you established D1 that Allen's the one that you make mad. I mean, gently caress.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is it really so incredulous for me to have not assumed that there would be private effects? How is it scummy to have not assumed this?

Yes, it is -- My first thought after seeing the the result of the day action as only flavor was "Well I bet that did something for someone" -- mostly because I wasn't directly impacted myself.

Not thinking about it is extremely dumb, and prodding people for information about is anti-town.

What are the possible outcomes of this mysterious thing having happened?
a) It helped a town PR/the town
- possibly negated or lessened by the scum becoming aware of this/who/how
b) it hurt a town PR/the town
- exacerbated by the scum becoming aware of this/who/how
c) it helped or hurt a non-town entity inc, scum.
- if scum, unlikely to be disclosed/discernable from reactions either way,
- 3p weird to speculate about, but if it was going to be helpful to have it come out, would probably do so on its own.
d) it did nothing (very unlikely)
- just going to distract the town from scumhunting.

So in the vast majority of cases, talking about a thing that impacted unknown players in unknown ways is going to probably benefit the scum, even if the thing itself did something pro town.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Not thinking about it is extremely dumb

Being dumb doesn't make me scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok, I've read things.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dugong posted:

the other games i have played i have been quite rightly been called just saying "i dont like this" rather than actually voting. I feel more sure about YPM being 3rd non-town than any of the 3 leaders.

fv is uranus and YPM just going ham. Already mentioned but then there is Somber's weird comment on uranus.

Merk hosed up a vig. I wish he had saved it for the end of the day so it be used as a pseudo lynch when risk of no lynch is possible but I don't think that's a mafia tell, it just was less thoughtful than it should have been.

Somber throws me off. I like that they just questioned a lot of people's actions early on but then they say that they would vote for anyone and I interpret it as scrambling.

##vote Somberbrero

This is literally the worst post in the thread so far. I think it's where my vote is going: ##vote Dugong

I do have more thoughts. Sec.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Pinterest Mom posted:

yah merk's trying to push the chic case hard is baaaaad

This is the second worst post of the thread.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
...and then all of Chic's stuff about me is bad. My list is Dugong->Chic->Pinterest

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I was going to post a case on Chic, but I think I've already done that. I also think the best case on Dugong is literally quoting that one post.

Rarity made a case on Pinterest that is 'eh.' I think my one quote of Pinterest just nakedly out there is stronger than Rarity's whole case.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Byers2142 posted:

That makes more sense. Now, why is it a scum tell to want to know the effect? That's the part I'm not getting; someone trying to learn what was affected by a day action is a null tell. At best, you could make the argument that all it tells us is that Amoeba and f_v can't be scumbros, or else why ask in the thread, but even that's a weak argument to make with other supporting evidence to shore it up.

My original thoughts were that since it was scum wouldn't know what the effects were, they would want to know more than town would and people asking would be more likely to be scum. Looking back, it doesn't really hold up under more thoughtful scrutiny. I mostly got excited about thinking I caught a tell and wanted to see what other people thought.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Winged Orpheus posted:

My original thoughts were that since it was scum wouldn't know what the effects were, they would want to know more than town would and people asking would be more likely to be scum. Looking back, it doesn't really hold up under more thoughtful scrutiny. I mostly got excited about thinking I caught a tell and wanted to see what other people thought.

Uh, no, Your initial thought process is correct, WO, read my breakdown of why prodding about the unknown effect is likely anti town, and the way FV reacted to even the impression of pressure is bearing out the idea.... I don't understand why you're backpedaling since it's working out.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Do you have any other thoughts? Your contribution yesterday was negligible

Not really but I'm glad to show up and give you something to deflect towards.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Little Mac posted:

Not really but I'm glad to show up and give you something to deflect towards.

This is a petty looking snipe. I too would love substantial thoughts from you Little Mac.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Not right now! Will give something substantialish over the weekend.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Also it wasn't petty I like to believe it was just funny thankyouverymuch

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
##vote fiery

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

This is literally the worst post in the thread so far. I think it's where my vote is going: ##vote Dugong

I do have more thoughts. Sec.

I'm more interested in Dugong's out of nowhere vote on YPM late in D1; I'm hoping he gives me an explanation for that like I asked.

What I'm more worried about is that you're currently looking for posts that look scummy in isolation. With the exception of Chic, your cases all boil down to "look at this post." It's easy to find scummy posts; everyone makes a scummy post of two in every game, regardless of alignment. Someone pointed out to me once that scum like to case based on individual posts because it's easier to make the case, that it's harder to make an average town player's total body of work look scummy. I think it was yuming? Sounds like yuming.

Please don't be scum, merk. Are you scum?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Little Mac posted:

Not right now! Will give something substantialish over the weekend.

Isn't the deadline on Sunday, and don't most games die over weekends? You're basically saying you'll come back and make some points when people aren't around and there won't be time for discussion prior to deadline.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers2142 posted:

I'm more interested in Dugong's out of nowhere vote on YPM late in D1; I'm hoping he gives me an explanation for that like I asked.

What I'm more worried about is that you're currently looking for posts that look scummy in isolation. With the exception of Chic, your cases all boil down to "look at this post." It's easy to find scummy posts; everyone makes a scummy post of two in every game, regardless of alignment. Someone pointed out to me once that scum like to case based on individual posts because it's easier to make the case, that it's harder to make an average town player's total body of work look scummy. I think it was yuming? Sounds like yuming.

Please don't be scum, merk. Are you scum?

On this day 1 very few people have enough content filled posts to look at a body of work. The single posts are the strongest reads at the moment.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Uh, no, Your initial thought process is correct, WO, read my breakdown of why prodding about the unknown effect is likely anti town, and the way FV reacted to even the impression of pressure is bearing out the idea.... I don't understand why you're backpedaling since it's working out.

KFC, I'd love to debate the reason the case was effective, but I don't want to distract right now from the reaction it warranted from f_v or the overall scumminess of f_v's play this game. Remind me after the game to come back to this, because while it's interesting to me I'm not sure it's relevant right now.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

On this day 1 very few people have enough content filled posts to look at a body of work. The single posts are the strongest reads at the moment.

I disagree, at this point in the game there's been plenty of posts and time to get a sense of most player's body of work or lack thereof. Moreso, I think it speaks to a scum mentality to consider the game like that right now.

Dugong had enough posts. You pointed at one post, but I think it's worse for him to have voted YPM as he did with no prior mention or interactions with YPM. It was a vote in vacuum, but the reason it looks worse to me is when you compare it to what he said.

f_v had enough posts. Over and over, she accused people of being scum while doing the exact same thing, often in the same situation, that she was casing them for. When questioned about it, she's deflected or outright ignored the points raised. Again, one post alone doesn't give you the information needed to recognize that pattern.

PMom... may or may not have had enough posts. I need to reread PMom before I can say that.

In short, the single posts are not the strongest reads, they're the easiest means to make strong statements about. You hold up a post and say, "This is a scummy post." That's a strong statement, due to the simplicity in it. There's no room for ambiguity or contradiction in it. But it's easy to find a post by a person and hold that post, in isolation, up as evidence of scumminess. For instance:

merk posted:

I'll literally vote anyone. I haven't read much.

Made 12 hours before deadline. This is a scummy post.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It's fine that you disagree. I disagree with your disagreement.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

It's fine that you disagree. I disagree with your disagreement.

It's not just that I disagree, I find it scummy.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Byers2142 posted:

Isn't the deadline on Sunday, and don't most games die over weekends? You're basically saying you'll come back and make some points when people aren't around and there won't be time for discussion prior to deadline.

Okay? Weak response tbh. I work during the week

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers2142 posted:

It's not just that I disagree, I find it scummy.

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

God dammit, this is going to be just like X-Men.

##vote merk

merk is scum. He's hiding behind an apparent lack of caring, purposefully making it hard to case him at all. The only time he has been truly engaged has been when Chic went after him. Not because he's scared of the case but because he's offended that he's been cased for the wrong reasons. He can accept being caught as scum, but he's not going to stand by and by accidentally caught as scum when the case used isn't solid. His response to the other points against him are to brush it off, as he has here, because it forces the casers to box shadows. There's no resistance, we tire ourselves out, and we look for an easier case to push. It's part of why pushing a case against merk is so tiring; he makes you work for it and pay for every vote gained in spent effort.

Look back at Ernie's point from yesterday; it was a good one. This is merk, and he seemingly wasted his shot if you consider it from a town point of view. That was not a town shot. Look at the casing he's doing that does not involve Chic. He finds one post that can be called scummy, uses the post as the entirety of the case, and sits on it until forced to do something more. This isn't happenstance; by taking this stance, he can let town run around casing and lynching each other.

In terms of scumminess, f_v has done more to be cased on, but make no mistake, this is merk playing out a scum ploy. And we can't let him stick around because the evidence isn't as abundant, or he will make us pay. In the X-Men game, I said that he's currently the best player playing on SA. I haven't seen anything to make me think that this has changed. He is very good at game theory, and even better at social manipulation. If we let him stick around, he will find a way to either continue to deflect and survive, use his delayed death to suss out PRs, or protect his scumbros behind seemingly solid defenses based on a lot of WIFOM.

I wanted to believe, merk. You broke my heart.

• Locked thread