Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The best pieces of equipment one can have for dealing with most of the things listed in 'Things I Won't Work With' are a good pair of running shoes and a solid head start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014

Nalesh posted:

This is starting to look more like the space station 13 thread than a thief thread :v:

Yeah These all sound like the sort of happyfun chems I'd mix in my own blood in SS13 for laughs.
I wonder how the guy writing these 'things I won't work with' articles would react to that sort of behavior - something resembling :stonklol: I'd imagine.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TwistedSynapse posted:

Yeah These all sound like the sort of happyfun chems I'd mix in my own blood in SS13 for laughs.
I wonder how the guy writing these 'things I won't work with' articles would react to that sort of behavior - something resembling :stonklol: I'd imagine.

The vast majority of the chemicals mentioned thus far would either poison you and kill you dead or ignite upon contact with your blood, killing you dead.

If you go for one of the really exotic ones then the attempt to move it will result in a violent explosion of fire and toxic gas; killing you dead.

That said as far as I know no-one has ever actually seen what it looks like when a person's blood is on fire so you would at least leave an interesting corpse if you picked one of the ones that ignites but does not explode.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

HnK416 posted:

The Pathfinder tabletop game has an Alchemist class that is literally that and it's the best drat thing :allears:

Regarding Thi4f, was I not paying attention or did the civil war stuff just pop up out of nowhere?

Civil unrest was a persistent theme throughout the earlier chapters, but it really did just sort of blow up all of a sudden. It's possible that I've just overlooked some foreshadowing (entirely possible, the game has bored me so much I've missed things previously), but no, I don't recall there being any particular reason to expect a sudden violent revolt right there and then.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So after re-watching the Thi4f video where our.."cunning rogue" protagonist stumbles in to what seems to be the Keeper Library, I looked around at some Wiki's to see exactly what all of it was about and, to my surprise, this is supposed to be the same exact city as in the original trilogy. Jesus goddamned Christ :psyboom:

Here are some "history" notes:
The game is supposed to be set about 400 years after the original trilogy and for the most part it's a bunch of "old religions were outlawed, places were torn/burned down and rebuilt and large portions of the city were simply built over".
The Forgotten Ruins are indeed the Keeper Library/Compound and the House of Blossoms is set up in the nicer upper parts.
"Garret" 's Bat-Dickhead-Taffer-Thief-Cave Clocktower is apparently built on the same spot where the clocktower in T3 was which explains why it keeps breaking down...some how. :iiam:
At some point there was a huge fire and the Crippled Burrick was moved to a different point in The City, implying that that is the same one as 400 years ago.
The old cathedral where the Begger Queen lives is supposed to be the haunted Hammerite Cathedral, ruined now because that religion has long since been outlawed.

There's a few more bits of info that I found but are related to stuff the LP hasn't gotten to, but the biggest things show up in the next chapter so we won't have to wait long before seeing what truly amounts to the turd candle on the poo poo cake.

Honestly though, if the game even had a single shred of effort put in to it it could have been really neat to see that this was the city that the original trilogy took place in and perhaps that could have been worked in to the story somehow but no, all it amounts to are little references for fans of the much better games.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
What. :catstare:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, that's... do you have the links for this stuff? Because like I said before, while I could be wrong, I don't recall Thief 2014 indicating anywhere that it was supposed to be in the same continuity as the original trilogy. (And it sort of contradicts what the devs/publishers were saying during development.)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also lol at the implication that Original Garret and his new keepers didn't last even 400 years.

Also lol at the idea of something being outlawed meaning it isn't around anymore, especially in a game called Thief.

Yes I'm sure the armor wearing giant hammer wielding fanatics totally gave up and stopped worshiping their God. And the Pagans just shrugged their shoulders and gave up because "We bes double super illegal now you guys"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Just wait till the game finally explains (sort of) the power source for all the supernatural stuff in Thi4f.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.

paragon1 posted:

Also lol at the implication that Original Garret and his new keepers didn't last even 400 years.

Also lol at the idea of something being outlawed meaning it isn't around anymore, especially in a game called Thief.

Yes I'm sure the armor wearing giant hammer wielding fanatics totally gave up and stopped worshiping their God. And the Pagans just shrugged their shoulders and gave up because "We bes double super illegal now you guys"

Add to that the fact that The Trickster was an actual physical being. Religions in the real world have a lot of staying power and they tend not to worship physical things. Just imagine how much more fervent worshipers would be if their deity was walking the streets, performing miracles.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Just wait till the game finally explains (sort of) the power source for all the supernatural stuff in Thi4f.

Is it Lavos from Chrono Trigger or a Mako Reactor and the Baron is actually Sephiroth? Seriously, I think that's the only way this game could top itself at this point.

Cartheon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 9, 2015

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Cartheon posted:

Is it Lavos from Chrono Trigger or a Mako Reactor and the Baron is actually Sephiroth? Seriously, I think that's the only way this game could top itself at this point.

It's powered by the tears of Thief fans.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This whole game's approach to previous titles in its franchise is very much a case of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's actually Garrett imagining all this stuff after doing one poppy too many. (I like to imagine he doesn't actually eat them, he just crushes them into his fist and then snorts them.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The magic is all powered by stealing the life from the citizens of the city. The government is the biggest thief of all.

Rah rah smash the state etc

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Civil unrest was a persistent theme throughout the earlier chapters, but it really did just sort of blow up all of a sudden. It's possible that I've just overlooked some foreshadowing (entirely possible, the game has bored me so much I've missed things previously), but no, I don't recall there being any particular reason to expect a sudden violent revolt right there and then.

I suspect the trigger is Orion got his KillMacGuffin so he can turn evil now.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I'm waiting for the answer of magic to be something right out of a little kid's show with an inspiring speech, like 'the power was in them all along,' or something...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All the magic has been done by the drawing lady, through her drawings, that interface with reality by her having a job as an environment artist at whatever studio made this game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It turns out just like that secret ending in Silent Hill 2 where the dog did it.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Antistar01 posted:

Yeah, that's... do you have the links for this stuff? Because like I said before, while I could be wrong, I don't recall Thief 2014 indicating anywhere that it was supposed to be in the same continuity as the original trilogy. (And it sort of contradicts what the devs/publishers were saying during development.)

Apparently most of this info comes in the form of newspapers and notes and other readable. As for where I found it like I said I looked on fan wiki's for the games, and honestly since they were wanting to do a "rebootquel" it seems, to me at least, that it would fit right in. Unfortunately. (Also I was drunk last night when I looked all of this up so hey maybe I missed a big "Fan Speculation" warning)

paragon1 posted:

Well the first one..I..eeh..you'll see.
From what I read, there were three separate shutdowns of the "old religions", which isn't really a great explanation and makes very little sense but hey that's the one that's there. The implication, though, is that they just aren't worshiped openly.

Trust me, if you want to be mad at the game doing connections to the previous trilogy very poorly, just wait until Chapter 5. It'll be GREAT :shepicide:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HnK416 posted:

Well the first one..I..eeh..you'll see.
From what I read, there were three separate shutdowns of the "old religions", which isn't really a great explanation and makes very little sense but hey that's the one that's there. The implication, though, is that they just aren't worshiped openly.

The thing that's funny is, in the real world, 'Let's kill the established religion next!' is often a hill revolutions and major political changes die on. As in, it's really loving hard to do, especially if it has as much penetration as the Hammers and Pagans did. I mean, look at the Hammers. They definitely wanted to destroy the Pagans and they could never pull it off, despite being another major, established, and much more above-board religious order in the City. Just handwaving away 'Yeah, we uprooted the religion so much you won't even find old churches outside of secret buried temples' is ridiculous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Please don't tell me that I jokingly guessed the plot :cripes:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

I've just been going through my Chapter 5 footage for images, and there's some pretty conclusive evidence that Thief 3 is supposed to have occurred at least 383 years before Thi4f's present. I'll try to remember to point it out when I get to recording commentary.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

goatface posted:

The magic is all powered by stealing the life from the citizens of the city. The government is the biggest thief of all.

:agreed: all taxation is theft, rob the rich give to yourself

Garrett's Gulch Tower

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I've just been going through my Chapter 5 footage for images, and there's some pretty conclusive evidence that Thief 3 is supposed to have occurred at least 383 years before Thi4f's present. I'll try to remember to point it out when I get to recording commentary.

Yeah, that would be interesting. Whatever it is, I obviously just missed it or didn't make the connection.

I was having a bit of a look around too, and it seems like I was wrong. They did repeatedly say "this is a re-imagining, not a sequel" elsewhere, though. (Spoiler warning if you watch much beyond that point; it shows a level we haven't seen in the LP yet.)

I mean, I certainly noticed the resemblance to the Keeper Library in the brothel level, but I assumed that it was a simple meta reference.

Welp. I guess it just didn't occur to me that they would make a reboot with principle characters with the same names, roles and relationships as in the earlier games, but then also say that those earlier Garretts and Bassos also existed in the same continuity, doing all those broadly similar things, only a few hundred years ago.

Because that just seems nuts to me. :psyduck:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Antistar01 posted:

Yeah, that would be interesting. Whatever it is, I obviously just missed it or didn't make the connection.

I was having a bit of a look around too, and it seems like I was wrong. They did repeatedly say "this is a re-imagining, not a sequel" elsewhere, though. (Spoiler warning if you watch much beyond that point; it shows a level we haven't seen in the LP yet.)

I mean, I certainly noticed the resemblance to the Keeper Library in the brothel level, but I assumed that it was a simple meta reference.

Welp. I guess it just didn't occur to me that they would make a reboot with principle characters with the same names, roles and relationships as in the earlier games, but then also say that those earlier Garretts and Bassos also existed in the same continuity, doing all those broadly similar things, only a few hundred years ago.

So...like I said, a sequel that got too lazy to bother with continuity.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Antistar01 posted:

I mean, Zelda. v:v:v

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
So I just noticed something about the latest Dark Mod mission: even if you put out all the torches, you still have to contend with the moonlight coming through the windows. But the windows are all shuttered, right? Not just shuttered, but sealed with super-indestructible alloy so that you can't see the internal lighting from the outside.

But at least when they show light it has a gameplay effect, unlike the nonsensical sewer-light in thifourthf.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kiavahr posted:

So I just noticed something about the latest Dark Mod mission: even if you put out all the torches, you still have to contend with the moonlight coming through the windows. But the windows are all shuttered, right? Not just shuttered, but sealed with super-indestructible alloy so that you can't see the internal lighting from the outside.

But at least when they show light it has a gameplay effect, unlike the nonsensical sewer-light in thifourthf.

Yeah, I really don't get what Sotha was going on about with this one. I mean...it's an iron portcullis. It's a solid iron portcullis and all the windows are iron-barred and the reason you'd hire a burglar instead of a construction crew is because the burglar is a hell of a lot cheaper, especially considering the remote location and the surrounding swamp.

Anyway, point is the windows are barred and not sealed or shuttered, something you can see when I'm climbing up the outside. Really the strange part is how all the windows let in the moonlight regardless of which direction they face.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nihilarian posted:

The source of magic was Demise all along.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Nihilarian posted:

The difference with Zelda games is that, for the most part, those are pretty quality games and usually have that sort of stuff worked in to the story.

THI4F is the result of people not really giving a poo poo and caring more about mass appeal than having a dedicated fanbase, as proven by the "We want you to play as a thief, but we don't want to force you to play as a thief" line.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Antistar01 posted:

See, in the Thief universe they're trapped in a warped cycle of eternal recurrence, in which Garrett is constantly reincarnated as a shittier, more compromised, focus-grouped and altogether less interesting version of himself. It's their version of entropy. Instead of heading towards the eventual heat death of the universe, the City and it's denizens are headed towards a singularity of AAA-game design mediocrity, where their universe begins to slide into Assassin's Creed, Dishonored, Tomb Raider and other titles and all becomes a homogenous mass-market mulch which gets released for $49.99 with pre-order bonus skins that render Lara Croft, Ezio, Nathan Drake, Corvo and Garrett utterly interchangeable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the ultimate marketed protagonist: whatshisname from watchunderscoredogs. I, um, forgot his name.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Don't forget the ultimate marketed protagonist: whatshisname from watchunderscoredogs. I, um, forgot his name.

Something like Masculine Underscore Penetration, I believe.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I literally remembered Jordi's name before, uh, Jayden's?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That's because Jordi is a better character in basically every way.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

HnK416 posted:

Honestly though, if the game even had a single shred of effort put in to it it could have been really neat to see that this was the city that the original trilogy took place in and perhaps that could have been worked in to the story somehow but no, all it amounts to are little references for fans of the much better games.

It's possible that a lot of effort got wasted on wrangling differing ideas about what the game should and should not be about. So there was effort, it just wasn't very focused effort.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I literally remembered Jordi's name before, uh, Jayden's?

Jordi is like straight out of sleeping dogs :v:

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014

TomViolence posted:

pre-order bonus skins that render Lara Croft, Ezio, Nathan Drake, Corvo and Garrett utterly interchangeable.

Y'know, if thi4f really did have a costume change that let you turn garret into Ezio or Corvo it would actually be a dramatic step UP from his current clownsuit.

Hell even being able to play as Thief 1 box-garret would be a step up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

TwistedSynapse posted:

Y'know, if thi4f really did have a costume change that let you turn garret into Ezio or Corvo it would actually be a dramatic step UP from his current clownsuit.

Hell even being able to play as Thief 1 box-garret would be a step up.

It'd liven up the hilariously grim dialogue scenes, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LoonShia posted:

It'd liven up the hilariously grim dialogue scenes, that's for sure.

And that's a pretty drat sad statement when you realize that Corvo is a silent protagonist.

• Locked thread