Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Except for the graduation the F-16s are always the T-Birds, so in that specific case no the AF paid money specifically to fly a six (probably seven since I'm sure they bring the spare) ship of jet fighters a third of the way across the country for a 30 second fly-by because zoomies.

fake edit: your most recent post makes a good companion piece to this post.

Yeah, that is the glaring exception to the rule. Possibly stuff at the Super Bowl level...let's face it, nobody is scheduling a loving 2v2 45 minutes before kickoff. But they do use local assets, usually from a nearby NAS or ANG base.

I was curious if you'd recognize that photo. I wish the video still existed, but apparently all copies were destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Dead Reckoning posted:

poo poo, back before money got tight we would get flyovers for football games or the noon meal formation pretty regularly. Like you said, usually just planes deviating a few miles on their way somewhere else. For Army/Navy, or when the Generals in town for Corona, poo poo got crazy. Most of that got turned off around '05 though.

We had flyovers at a lot of Virginia Tech games. I only remember boring C17s(because I was blacked out by noon for games) but I want to say there was one b-1 flyover.

In Iraq we got an F-18 to buzz us once and Cobras to practice gun runs on. That was cool.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Apparently flyovers used to only require the most cursory of coordination, so it was pretty easy to decide to take your four-ship to visit your alma mater. I can't recall what oopsie or flagrant waste of taxpayer money brought the hammer down (although I remember hearing a rumor that it was a fighter coming in level with the stadium lights while someone important was watching) but the DoD started requiring much higher levels of justification and approval, and now that they're tracking our fuel use on a per-sortie basis, those days are probably never coming back.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
JSTARS (lol) did a flyover for some game or whatever a while back in Georgia. I guess the bird was supposed to fly over exactly at the end of the national anthem but they screwed up and arrived substantially late and it was all awkward.

Getting an ISR asset for a flyover is the equivalent of getting one of those lovely Tiger handheld games instead of a Gameboy for Christmas.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Apparently flyovers used to only require the most cursory of coordination, so it was pretty easy to decide to take your four-ship to visit your alma mater. I can't recall what oopsie or flagrant waste of taxpayer money brought the hammer down (although I remember hearing a rumor that it was a fighter coming in level with the stadium lights while someone important was watching) but the DoD started requiring much higher levels of justification and approval, and now that they're tracking our fuel use on a per-sortie basis, those days are probably never coming back.

Well there was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvlX2Fb0kZM

I don't think it was so much that someone important was watching as it was that the poo poo was all over youtube. I think there may have been another incident involving a flyby at a considerably higher rate of speed with a similar altitude deviation.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

iyaayas01 posted:

Well there was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvlX2Fb0kZM

I don't think it was so much that someone important was watching as it was that the poo poo was all over youtube. I think there may have been another incident involving a flyby at a considerably higher rate of speed with a similar altitude deviation.
Seriously? Some Navy brass gettin' their panties in a bunch over this? Big loving whoop.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Seriously? Some Navy brass gettin' their panties in a bunch over this? Big loving whoop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalese_cable_car_disaster_%281998%29

Rules exist because someone did something stupid and broke something, hurt someone or killed someone.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Pat McNamara (the ex delta guy who runs a tactical shooting course) talking about his military time, his life, and how he enjoys birdwatching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOliF5FoAA8

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helldump Immunity. posted:

JSTARS (lol) did a flyover for some game or whatever a while back in Georgia. I guess the bird was supposed to fly over exactly at the end of the national anthem but they screwed up and arrived substantially late and it was all awkward.

Getting an ISR asset for a flyover is the equivalent of getting one of those lovely Tiger handheld games instead of a Gameboy for Christmas.

:agreed:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I don't get the NSA icons

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

terrez posted:

Pat McNamara (the ex delta guy who runs a tactical shooting course) talking about his military time, his life, and how he enjoys birdwatching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOliF5FoAA8

http://youtu.be/hOliF5FoAA8?t=2m17s

Loving that picture

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

:nsavince:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

smiley face is at the bottom.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Haha holy poo poo

boner penis
Oct 1, 2012

To Be is to get HYPHY
To Know is to go DUMB
SWAT entry, french style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZX6Bjp--VU

EDIT: better angle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hISqLRi2w28

boner penis fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 9, 2015

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Should have called the GhostBusters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3zo-co8BPg

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ah yes, the highly effective gaggle formation. I like how one dude runs in with a shield and cuts off everyone else's field of fire before they all leave him hanging for the next minute, then kinda trickle in as they work up the courage.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I thought GIGN was supposed to be high-speed. :smith:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Spicy Guacamole posted:

I thought GIGN was supposed to be high-speed. :smith:

I think that is the GIPN and other police forces and not the GIGN.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y_eUbRdodA

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

If less lives (innocent or otherwise) meant more potatoes for everybody else I'm sure that US SWAT teams would act like that too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Results of two attempts at Hawkeye flyovers:

1) Flew over completely the wrong pier.

2) Flew over a ceremony about ten minutes after the national anthem finished, right in the middle of a speech. And it's not over quickly, like a jet. No, you get plenty of time to appreciate the BBBBBBZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRR as it hums by.

For some reason we don't get asked to do flyovers any more. :saddowns:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
:lol:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even a c-130 would make for a cooler flyover than a predator, sorry but your rc plane is too dorky to be impressive.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Lol if you think a fly over is wasting money. If they weren't flying there they'd be somewhere else doing the same thing

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Die in a loving Osprey crash already jesus

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Bolow posted:

lmfbo

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Bob A Feet posted:

Lol if you think a fly over is wasting money. If they weren't flying there they'd be somewhere else doing the same thing

lol shut the gently caress up

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Pretend I posted a bunch of videos here of planes crashing doing relatively mundane things at low altitude. Then imagine that happening in a stadium full of people.

Safety margins exist for a reason.

Slim Pickens posted:

Even a c-130 would make for a cooler flyover than a predator, sorry but your rc plane is too dorky to be impressive.

The sound of one flying around in the pattern seriously isn't much different from the sound you hear at a field where people are flying R/C planes.

At least a Reaper mostly sounds like a real plane.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A Herk flyover would be loving awesome.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iyaayas01 posted:

Safety margins exist for a reason.

Yeah, the reason being that a lot of people are total pussies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, the reason being that a lot of people are total pussies.
I believe that was the terminology Bud Holland liked to use as well.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

This video makes me glad France quits at war. Holly poo poo that is embarrassing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The uncensored video is here if you don't mind seeing the guy get blasted so hard he ends up in the air ricocheting off the doorframe. I don't think anyone's taken that many bullets since Bonnie & Clyde.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao he probably got shot 100 times right there.

RIP in piss

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

iceslice posted:

This video makes me glad France quits at war. Holly poo poo that is embarrassing.

Is "wall of gunfire" not a viable tactic?

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Seeing all those swat bunnies gaggled up there brought out my GTA2 urges to run in with a flamethrower and get em all. Like look at how clustered they are thats like $5000 and immediate 5 stars.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is "wall of gunfire" not a viable tactic?

I'm more impressed by how not only did the shield guy try his hardest to run in front of as many of his buddies as he could, they kept shooting as the terrorist ran between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

terrez posted:

Seeing all those swat bunnies gaggled up there ...

I don't know nothin' from nothin', but that sure looks to my eye to be not the best way to do that.

How long before those angry jihadi dudes start including grenades in their load-out.

Gonna face the man, gonna make them pay.
Derka Derka

• Locked thread