Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Please stop talking trash about The Harvard Of The West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

wheez the roux posted:

Yeah and Wazzu is a top business and especially communications/broadcast journalism school and you can easily get hired out of those programs, that doesn't mean the university isn't mid tier compared to the Stanfords and Ivys and other elite schools of the world.

I hear Michigan called elite (only ever by people who went there) but it's just another big state school like UW, Wisconsin, Alabama, Cal (though Cal has a case for being an elite school), Oregon, Florida, etc

I don't know if this is still true, but ten years ago Michigan was like top fifteen in the country overall for academics, so I think it is more than just a state school. They still blow though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sataere posted:

I don't know if this is still true, but ten years ago Michigan was like top fifteen in the country overall for academics, so I think it is more than just a state school. They still blow though.

Bringing this back to football, the Stephen Ross School of Business is still fringe top 10 as far as grad business schools go.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yup, Michigan grad programs are loving amazing.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Michigan is the best school in the area until you go as far west as Kalamazoo and as far south as Miami, Ohio. They're still a really good school.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Michigan is the best school in the area until you go as far west as Kalamazoo and as far south as Miami, Ohio. They're still a really good school.

KENT READ KENT WRITE KENT STATE

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
One of the best fashion schools in the nation, bitch

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

wheez the roux posted:

on what planet are a degree from Stanford and a degree from michigan remotely comparable

E: besides detroit

It's a top 30 school in the country. Not Stanford, but no slouch whatsoever. A school any kid would be proud to get into.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-michigan-9092
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-michigan-ann-arbor-170976/overall-rankings

and for your less than stellar comparison...

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/washington-state-3800

Sataere posted:

and this is what I was referencing. Back in 2006 when I was selecting a University I came to know Michigan as a very very good school that I was not capable of getting into. :)

thompson fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 9, 2015

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Doesn't the Big Ten have some weird academics standards? Like, not for the student athletes, obviously, but to be a member school?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Well, they did. And then they were like YES NEBRASKA WELCOME ABOARD

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

How come the uniforms aren't better looking then?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
If our fashion majors were in charge of our uniforms they'd be denim on denim and our eye black would take 2 hours to do

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

If our fashion majors were in charge of our uniforms they'd be denim on denim and our eye black would take 2 hours to do

make it so

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Xort!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WHOOPS posted:

Doesn't the Big Ten have some weird academics standards? Like, not for the student athletes, obviously, but to be a member school?

They wanted everyone to be in the AAU, but then let in Nebraska who isn't so it's not a huge deal. It's a kind of silly distinction anyway.

Outside of Northwestern and I guess maybe Michigan they're all just average to slightly above average state schools that are pretty easy to get into. Which is fine. They just like to harp on the academics a lot now because they suck at football and lose to SEC schools all the time.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 10, 2015

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

"And here to flip the coin..."

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

MourningView posted:

They wanted everyone to be in the AAU, but then let in Nebraska who isn't so it's not a huge deal. It's a kind of silly distinction anyway.

Outside of Northwestern and I guess maybe Michigan they're all just average to slightly above average state schools that are pretty easy to get into. Which is fine. They just like to harp on the academics a lot now because they suck at football and lose to SEC schools all the time.

#goacc

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

it's actually not a bad promotional idea now that I think about it, get some pub for the football team and some for one of the best fashion schools in the world.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
In the grand scheme of things Nebraska isn't really that far below the standards of most Big Ten schools. They're not in the AAU mostly because they don't spend enough on research, but you can chalk a lot of that up to the med school being part of a different campus and the AAU not counting money that goes towards ag research (which is understandably a big focus at Nebraska because it is the University of loving Nebraska)

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

In the grand scheme of things Nebraska isn't really that far below the standards of most Big Ten schools. They're not in the AAU mostly because they don't spend enough on research, but you can chalk a lot of that up to the med school being part of a different campus and the AAU not counting money that goes towards ag research (which is understandably a big focus at Nebraska because it is the University of loving Nebraska)
Nebraska was also kicked out of the AAU after joining the Big Ten.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I don't know what the AAU is but it sounds lame as gently caress

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Bowling Green has a Pop Culture major and I think grad program which I'm pretty sure is how you get to be Chuck Klosterman or Mo Rocca.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I don't know what the AAU is but it sounds lame as gently caress

Big ten circlejerk committee

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Wait does the anthropology department also sell Magic cards and trade paperbacks??

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If I remember correctly that was an old sign or something.

My ex girlfriend lived across the street from there. What a whore.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Parmesan Basil posted:

Wait does the anthropology department also sell Magic cards and trade paperbacks??

Statues of Smite characters carved from rock, wood, and whale bone.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

AAA is right. chubby's is The Coliseum now

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Not in terms of education but in terms of actually being able to get a job... Michigan might be even better.

Michigan is a solid public like UVA or UW but not a prestigious school and Stanford is in the same league as Harvard and Yale. I say this as a Berkeley grad. People make fun of them for the "public ivy" stuff and they have a bit of a complex about it. Its mostly an east coast thing, out west Michigan is maybe unfairly thought of as a football school.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd agree with that. I didn't mean to say that Michigan was in anyway sub standard just that Stanford is one of the world's top tier educational institutions and Michigan doesn't quite hit that mark.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Stanford is the preserve of parvenus, athletes, and tech culture admirers. It is a toxic environment for actual higher education and anyone who would prefer it over a legitimate Ivy or Michigan or Berkeley is a fool.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'd agree with that. I didn't mean to say that Michigan was in anyway sub standard just that Stanford is one of the world's top tier educational institutions and Michigan doesn't quite hit that mark.

But they do share a commonality... they are both worlds apart from the toilet that is FSU, which I believe was the original point.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

wheez the roux posted:

I hear Michigan called elite (only ever by people who went there) but it's just another big state school like UW, Wisconsin, Alabama, Cal (though Cal has a case for being an elite school), Oregon, Florida, etc

Michigan puts a ton of people into investment banking. Finance wise they're right up there with the upper ivy league schools and...Notre Dame. A ton of ex-players who never had a chance at getting drafted end up in IB with subpar GPA's too, because alpha malez.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only knowledge of Stanford I have is from my dad who did some post-doc work there in the mid 80s and he said anything on the graduate level was utter poo poo.

Volkerball posted:

Michigan puts a ton of people into investment banking. Finance wise they're right up there with the upper ivy league schools and...Notre Dame. A ton of ex-players who never had a chance at getting drafted end up in IB with subpar GPA's too, because alpha malez.

And they literally have a President of the US come from there (even if he was never elected).

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Chilichimp posted:

But they do share a commonality... they are both worlds apart from the toilet that is FSU, which I believe was the original point.

We say Turlet in Tally :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

pillsburysoldier posted:

We say Turlet in Tally :colbert:

God drat do I hate going back to Tally for any kind of work poo poo

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

ZenVulgarity posted:

God drat do I hate going back to Tally for any kind of work poo poo

I still have a ton of student friends and am really young so I don't have to interact with the non-students. I imagine it'll suck once that ends

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Are any of these draft prospects fashion majors, this is important

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

pillsburysoldier posted:

I still have a ton of student friends and am really young so I don't have to interact with the non-students. I imagine it'll suck once that ends

I'm 28 and I have to deal with lawyers who have never left Tallahassee

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Are any of these draft prospects fashion majors, this is important

Why has Kent not become a basketball power with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If I remember correctly that was an old sign or something.

My ex girlfriend lived across the street from there. What a whore.

Well excuse me!

• Locked thread