Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

NeoSeeker posted:

I'd like a survival horror with a faster pace and the ability to actually kill enemies. Dead Space 1 is all I've got. And it's not exactly scary enough anymore, I've replayed it a billion times. Penumbra is a bit too slow and clunky but it's fairly close. If anything I'd like dealing with enemies to be as frantic as possible.
While the Metro games fill the shooty part better, and the first one in particular fills the survival horror part quite well, if you're looking for scary games either Alien: Isolation or Amnesia would be great picks. I couldn't stand more than an hour or two of Alien in a sitting as my heart wouldn't stop racing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

cisco privilege posted:

While the Metro games fill the shooty part better, and the first one in particular fills the survival horror part quite well, if you're looking for scary games either Alien: Isolation or Amnesia would be great picks. I couldn't stand more than an hour or two of Alien in a sitting as my heart wouldn't stop racing. :v:

Definitely all three of these, but Metro if you are intent on shooting stuff. The second one is way better than the first though. I even thought it was creepier.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I've never played it myself, but I heard that Condemned: Criminal Origins has a very visceral sort of "fight for your dear life" kind of feel.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks so much, this is plenty to get me started!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

spasticColon posted:

What are some good recent 2D side scrolling platformers that don't have the stupid "floaty" physics? I own a gaming PC, PS3, and a 3DS.

The Shantae remake (Risky's revenge) and its sequel (Pirates Curse) are both really solid metroidvanias.

Both are on 3ds but the first is also really cheap during the current steam sale.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Nordick posted:

I've never played it myself, but I heard that Condemned: Criminal Origins has a very visceral sort of "fight for your dear life" kind of feel.

I've been trying to do replays. It has not aged well.

Which is quite strange as F.E.A.R has aged particularly well and has the same exact graphics.

All of the suggestions though are welcomed. I think I'm gonna go for Evil Within. And just wait for the new silent hill, hoping it won't suck. Metro is just beautiful. Especially with object motion blur on. I recall for the first time in a long time being freaked the gently caress out by a creature I could hardly even make out describable features.

As I see it all these games are just too clunky sometimes... I'd like to see them pull off some kind of survival horror where your character doesn't move like he's holding in a giant poo poo.

Again, as much as I hate to say it The Evil Within seems like my best choice. By all means make the game more assessable and playable, just don't gently caress with the atmosphere. I remember Resident Evil 5, it wasn't even creepy. I would be saying "I'll go back to Alien" But every time I play it I feel like I need a giant VR box on my head to play proper.

Amnesia would have been my game of the century if only it didn't lack some way of dispatching enemies. I don't get that game, I don't need the PC to get scared for me. All I can do when I'm cowering in a corner in that game is think of the many improvised weapons I could make from the surroundings.

I like those kinds of games that get me REALLY scared. I feel as though doing an LP of Alien would show that nicely. The more freaked the gently caress out in a game I get the more invested I get. To the point where I find myself wildly beating a dead android in because it scared me 7 minutes ago.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 31, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NeoSeeker posted:

As I see it all these games are just too clunky sometimes... I'd like to see them pull off some kind of survival horror where your character doesn't move like he's holding in a giant poo poo.

But that's because those are survival horror games. Look at the best of them, Silent Hill, your character moves and attacks like poo poo; on purpose. He's not a hero. Fighting is uncomfortable and scary for him. You should seek to avoid combat and be running scared more often than you throw down in a melee. If combat is comfortable or enjoyable, then you don't run. You just shoot all your enemies down. That's a different sort of game.

It sounds like you really want Action Horror, not Survival Horror. How about Doom 3? You mentioned you really like FEAR, so I'd look for more things like that, not survival horror.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
TL;DR: your character doesn't have to be constipated for "the scramble" to happen. Quite the contrary in fact. The more guile and speed your character has the more frantic and confusing things get. The developers just need to deliver the goods as far as fodder that runs along side your own embodiment in the world.

In other words Silent Hill has not aged well at all and I don't think we can really look to lovely control schemes as a mechanic anymore when we have the resources to make a game with characters that can move normal but are WAY more tense and scary. Isolation>>>>>>>Any silent hill game.

If you want to simulate amateur movement use the euphoria engine on the player character. How many times can you recall someone has died in a movie because they did one clumsy assed thing? Now how many times in game can you recall tripping over poo poo, miss-swinging or anything of the like even being in the game?

I'll shut up and go play ranger mode now. Oh yeah, and Ranger Mode.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 31, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

NeoSeeker posted:

If you want to simulate amateur movement use the euphoria engine on the player character. How many times can you recall someone has died in a movie because they did one clumsy assed thing? Now how many times in game can you recall tripping over poo poo, miss-swinging or anything of the like even being in the game?

I'll shut up and go play ranger mode now. Oh yeah, and Ranger Mode.

Even in survival horror stuff that takes away control from the player in a way that feels unfair or unwarranted is seen as bad design

I'd be all for tripping on a loving pole on the floor I ran into like an idiot but wouldn't look so fondly on tripping over myself like people in real life tend to do

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Well obviously the person wouldn't be drunk. I'd have to say though if you were mashing the attack button/not hitting it at the right time you'd end up hitting yourself or at the very least awkwardly not landing a blow and leaving yourself open to attack.. The way I see it it would be more like a bunch of quick time events except the buttons are all mapped with reason. That and there would always be a way to recover from a fuckup.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 1, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a medical mystery posted:

Even in survival horror stuff that takes away control from the player in a way that feels unfair or unwarranted is seen as bad design

I'd be all for tripping on a loving pole on the floor I ran into like an idiot but wouldn't look so fondly on tripping over myself like people in real life tend to do

Try Alien: Isolation. You see those things you accidental cause to fall over in comical fashion because of the game physics? The Alien can hear all that racket...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NeoSeeker posted:

I've been trying to do replays. It has not aged well.

Which is quite strange as F.E.A.R has aged particularly well and has the same exact graphics.

All of the suggestions though are welcomed. I think I'm gonna go for Evil Within. And just wait for the new silent hill, hoping it won't suck. Metro is just beautiful. Especially with object motion blur on. I recall for the first time in a long time being freaked the gently caress out by a creature I could hardly even make out describable features.

Again, as much as I hate to say it The Evil Within seems like my best choice. By all means make the game more assessable and playable, just don't gently caress with the atmosphere. I remember Resident Evil 5, it wasn't even creepy. I would be saying "I'll go back to Alien" But every time I play it I feel like I need a giant VR box on my head to play proper.

Amnesia would have been my game of the century if only it didn't lack some way of dispatching enemies. I don't get that game, I don't need the PC to get scared for me. All I can do when I'm cowering in a corner in that game is think of the many improvised weapons I could make from the surroundings.

I like those kinds of games that get me REALLY scared. I feel as though doing an LP of Alien would show that nicely. The more freaked the gently caress out in a game I get the more invested I get. To the point where I find myself wildly beating a dead android in because it scared me 7 minutes ago.

Evil Within a real piece of poo poo so good luck with that.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Mokinokaro posted:

The Shantae remake (Risky's revenge) and its sequel (Pirates Curse) are both really solid metroidvanias.

Both are on 3ds but the first is also really cheap during the current steam sale.

Thanks for the recommendation but what I meant by "floaty" is the controls are floaty or sluggish and the player character itself seems to be very "floaty" when they jump or hop onscreen. I think Little Big Planet is one of the biggest offenders of this but some of the newer 2D Mario games do this too. I find it annoying. I like the controls and physics of the old platformers from the NES, SNES, and Genesis eras. Goddamn it now I feel old. :corsair:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 1, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

spasticColon posted:

Thanks for the recommendation but what I meant by "floaty" is the controls are floaty or sluggish and the player character itself seems to be very "floaty" when they jump or hop onscreen. I think Little Big Planet is one of the biggest offenders of this but some of the newer 2D Mario games do this too. I find it annoying. I like the controls and physics of the old platformers from the NES, SNES, and Genesis eras. Goddamn it now I feel old. :corsair:

"What I mean by floaty is that the player seems floaty"
Thanks that really clears it up :v:

You say this like there wasn't any variety in platformer design across the SNES, NES or Genesis. That's a huge loving library of platformers and they aren't at all designed the same.

Something like prince of persia or earthworm jim controls very different from Mario or Sonic. (Themselves different in feel even)

Some platformers have momentum and inertia, while others have near infinite acceleration up to maximum velocity and then brake back down to 0 instantly.
Compare megaman to Mario on an ice level, for instance.

Anyways sorry platformers aren't up to your standards. Try super meat boy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

spasticColon posted:

Shovel Knight and Spelunky.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Is Mech Warrior 4 pretty much the last of its kind as far as big chunky insanely customizable mech action? With an instant action mode.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 1, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

Is Mech Warrior 4 pretty much the last of its kind as far as big chunky insanely customizable mech action? With an instant action mode.

You're pretty much limited to Armored Core games after that, none of which have an instant action mode.

Warship Gunner 2 doesn't have mechs but scratches the same itch. Also no instant action mode.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

You're pretty much limited to Armored Core games after that, none of which have an instant action mode.

Warship Gunner 2 doesn't have mechs but scratches the same itch. Also no instant action mode.

Gah... Armored Core was fun until you realize at best a mission is 10 minutes long. Time to go back to mech warrior, at least I have a joystick

Also I'm looking for a large scale game where I can drag along a terrible regime and terrorize other factions and their citizens. The way I see it Either: Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis. Which of the three allows to be the biggest most oppressive dick? Both inside my own faction and to other factions. Like sending sappers to an enemy city or assassins or some poo poo like that.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 1, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Crusader Kings 2 has more direct intrigue actions, including castrations and blinding if you're Byzantium.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Edit nevermind.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 2, 2015

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

NeoSeeker posted:

MAV is a PC game inspired by Chromehounds you should look into.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

NeoSeeker posted:

Also I'm looking for a large scale game where I can drag along a terrible regime and terrorize other factions and their citizens. The way I see it Either: Civ 5, Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis. Which of the three allows to be the biggest most oppressive dick? Both inside my own faction and to other factions. Like sending sappers to an enemy city or assassins or some poo poo like that.

The dickery in EU4 all feels strangely bureaucratic, much less "doin sick spy poo poo" and much more "i won half your land through a convoluted inheritance fuckup!". I've played nearly to world conquest in that game, and I never felt oppressive so much as successful.

CK2 is definitely has more of the cunning, arbitrary terror feel to it, but idk. I never liked how you never felt like a big dumb polity in that game. I like making the map one big blue thing that says FRANCE on it that's bigger than the other pink and yellow things that say like Navarra or some poo poo.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
CK2 definitely has the most oppressive and underhanded poo poo going on with all the courtly intrigue. At the same time, it's the hardest of the 3 for forming a map-spanning oppressive empire due to the inherent difficulty in wrangling your huge number of vassals. Of course, that's just more reason to oppress them :unsmigghh:

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I'm wondering if you guys can recommend any good co-op games for Playstation 3 that I can play with a friend offline. Borderlands and Resident Evil 5 are two games I've enjoyed playing; also tried the Army of Two series but just couldn't get into it. They don't have to be strictly shooter games.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

CK2 definitely has the most oppressive and underhanded poo poo going on with all the courtly intrigue. At the same time, it's the hardest of the 3 for forming a map-spanning oppressive empire due to the inherent difficulty in wrangling your huge number of vassals. Of course, that's just more reason to oppress them :unsmigghh:

I've just been playing too much warband. Capturing subjects and kings and not even being able to execute? what?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Can anyone recommend a 2 player co op game I can play with my fiance on Xbox 360? Something ligthhearted and fun, not too challenging or serious? Also preferably something I can buy through the live store?

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

Hey folks, I'm looking to play a space trader similar to the X game series. I really enjoyed Albion Prelude but I'm not sure how similar any of the new wave of space trader games are to X. Can anyone suggest a similar game? Thank you!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vidaeus posted:

Can anyone recommend a 2 player co op game I can play with my fiance on Xbox 360? Something ligthhearted and fun, not too challenging or serious? Also preferably something I can buy through the live store?

Portal 2 or Rayman Legends.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vidaeus posted:

Any and all of the Lego games.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Is there anything that is similar to Earthbound in its weird not-quite-right portrayal of American culture? I loved seeing baseball bats, hamburgers, yo-yos, hippies, jazz bands, policemen, etc used as elements in a fantastic world. Also, bonus points if it's at all positive or chipper in tone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gaspy Conana posted:

Is there anything that is similar to Earthbound in its weird not-quite-right portrayal of American culture? I loved seeing baseball bats, hamburgers, yo-yos, hippies, jazz bands, policemen, etc used as elements in a fantastic world. Also, bonus points if it's at all positive or chipper in tone.

Earthbound is a special snowflake; it did the whole American culture thing in the first place to be really weird and different from all those other RPGs.

That said there's a few things kinda similar, and its definitely been an influence on indie RPGs recently.

Does Barkley: Shut up and jam Gaiden count?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The World Ends With You, maybe? It's Japan, but you have that "everyday objects in a fantasy world" thing. No baseball bats, but plenty of baseball caps and skateboards, IIRC. Only DS, sadly, because the iOS version doesn't work beyond iOS 7.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 7, 2015

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Metal Wolf Chaos perhaps? :911:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

In Metal Gear Solid:2 you get to hang out with the president. Doesn't get much more American than that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

nucleicmaxid posted:

In Metal Gear Solid:2 you get to hang out with the president. Doesn't get much more American than that.

See above, where you get to be the President of the United States saving America in his giant robot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MGS Rising is pretty great in that regard. You get to fist sight a senator.

I prefer realistic portrayals of America in games though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxTsjb46ECA

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Vidaeus posted:

Portal 2 is an awesome girlfriend game, I've never found one better. The way you can take your time and talk through the puzzles together without any reflex-based action creates a strong bond, I highly reccomend it.

That's actually exactly why I'm here, to find another game for my girlfriend and I to play. She loved racing games but hasn't played in years. She liked the older need for speed games that allowed for tinkering on your car, but I don't really know racing games. What on the 360 fits the bill? We don't mind passing the controller back and forth, but co-op would be great :)

Also I'm a little intimidated by PC gaming, but is it realistic to want to get portal 2 on PC and play split screen with wired Xbox controllers and download custom levels?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Portal 2 is an awesome girlfriend game, I've never found one better. The way you can take your time and talk through the puzzles together without any reflex-based action creates a strong bond, I highly reccomend it.

That's actually exactly why I'm here, to find another game for my girlfriend and I to play. She loved racing games but hasn't played in years. She liked the older need for speed games that allowed for tinkering on your car, but I don't really know racing games. What on the 360 fits the bill? We don't mind passing the controller back and forth, but co-op would be great :)

Also I'm a little intimidated by PC gaming, but is it realistic to want to get portal 2 on PC and play split screen with wired Xbox controllers and download custom levels?

Maybe one of the burnout games? Those are pretty straightforward fun games. Less racing and more destruction though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

Have you tried Sonic All-Stars: Transformed? A lot of the single-player content can be done in co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Cool, thanks. I have 2x Xbox 360 controllers, is it possible to connect both of these to a single USB wireless dongle to play things on PC, or do you need a dongle for each controller?