Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

im bummed out it was alpha centauri guy who ebola toxxed and not migf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Nessus posted:

"I am making fun of MIGF's posting style from earlier in the thread."

Oh haha then this is actually a pretty funny joke.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

"I am making fun of MIGF's posting style from earlier in the thread."

Take the average bats per tree in the forested regions. Identify forests using Google Maps. Multiply bats per tree by population density times the local proportion of hunters as measured by tweets about bushmeat. Multiply by average number of wives. Multiply by number of times wives have each other over for dinner. Adjust for the local religiosity factor times the number of imams and spiritual healers. This is exactly what I did during the masters program I totally did. Anyone tracking LinkedIn posts for gravediggers in Liberia? What about the tumblr accounts of prominent West African ambulance driving schools? Put this all into a linear matrix algebra probability simulator. Man, I wish I took more epidemiology classes! Based on the number of new funeral pictures that families upload to Facebook per day, I can be absolutely sure that the CDC and WHO are vastly undercounting. Who's tracking the number of campfires on the road between all major cities?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Kly posted:

im bummed out it was alpha centauri guy who ebola toxxed and not migf

He spent more time posting than all the victims did dying

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im still rooting for black death 2. you can do it ebola

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

im still rooting for black death 2. you can do it ebola
someone post a graph, I'm sure it just needs some encouragement

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
smug mode

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/case-counts.html

As of December 14, 2014
(Updated December 18, 2014)

Total Cases: 18,603
Laboratory-Confirmed Cases: 11,807
Total Deaths: 6,915

CrashCat posted:

someone post a graph, I'm sure it just needs some encouragement

k

If this thread doesn't turn into a smug fest when this thing is over I'm going to be very disappointed in you guys

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

That still isn't good. That's not a good graph unless it's charting financial growth.

I hope all the troops and medical people spending their holidays in Africa have a good, safe time of it. I know I wouldn't want to be over there even if I hated my loved ones. (Although I might prefer West Africa to the narco area of Mexico at this point.)

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/2014-west-africa/case-counts.html

As of December 17, 2014
(Updated December 19, 2014)

Total Cases: 19,065
Laboratory-Confirmed Cases: 12,073
Total Deaths: 7,388

shiftless
May 18, 2005

Happy Ebolamas! So, did this fizzle out or is Ebola the new rampaging plague the CDC said it was going to turn into?

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
If I'm reading this correctly, the countries in West Africa have had their infrastructure crumble just enough to where the spread of disease is mostly localized and only rarely travelling to new areas. The interim infrastructure is being mostly run/managed/rebuilt by people familiar with hand-washing and the reality of disease (regardless of whether or not they believe in magic or the general importance of touching the dead).

So for now, fizzled out unless some new factors come into play - like more attacks on medical and aid workers, a new civil war, or invasion from a neighboring country.

Probably around now people in West Africa are equally being killed by treatable diseases like malaria, Ebola, and starvation from food supplies being disrupted.

:(

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Suicide Sam E. posted:

If I'm reading this correctly, the countries in West Africa have had their infrastructure crumble just enough to where the spread of disease is mostly localized and only rarely travelling to new areas. The interim infrastructure is being mostly run/managed/rebuilt by people familiar with hand-washing and the reality of disease (regardless of whether or not they believe in magic or the general importance of touching the dead).

All the hoodlums died and African society became better :)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Samuel posted:

All the "hoodlums" died and African society became better :)

"Thugs."

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

quote:

The stars of The Hunger Games franchise have released a PSA alongside the Ebola Survival Fund to remind people that, while Ebola is not currently a threat in the U.S., it remains a very serious one in West Africa, where more than 19,000 people have fallen sick in the past year alone.
https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/jennifer-lawrence-and-her--hunger-games--co-stars-team-up-to-fight-ebola-211730063.html

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/12/29/hunger-games-ebola-survival-fund/

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Glasgow now has Ebola :(

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.

Sion posted:

Stay safe Frankie Boyle. :ohdear:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sion posted:

This is what happens when you vote against independence.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

:downsrim:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

boom boom boom posted:

The person that got hit with it has been taken to a Hospital in England because no hospital in Scotland can handle it.

Imagine if that was in a foreign country ehl oh ehl

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
been a while since any news
is ebola cured

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gary oldmans diary posted:

been a while since any news
is ebola cured

everyone is dead. everyone

even you

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I had really great hopes of ebola going viral worldwide and yet here we are, Africa wins again. :negative:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MeLKoR posted:

I had really great hopes of ebola going viral worldwide and yet here we are, Africa wins again. :negative:

it hasn't even gone africawide.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Looks like all those people that toxxed got off the hook

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Wonder how much gun shops made collectively due to right-wingers terrified of ebola going stateside

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Wonder how much gun shops made collectively due to right-wingers terrified of ebola going stateside

I bought some suppressors but it was more because they were cool than anything to do with Ebola.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

various cheeses posted:

I bought some suppressors but it was more because they were cool than anything to do with Ebola.

Well I meant because of the ebola scare

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I bought a muzzleloader, however I too didn't do it because of ebola

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Well I meant because of the ebola scare

:what:

I buy firearms because they are awesome and because I have every right to. :shrug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fog Tripper posted:

:what:

I buy firearms because they are awesome and because I have every right to. :shrug:

Yes, you are correct. The question is about people who got panicky about the idea of a global pandemic, and so indulged their inner doomsday prepper and bought some guns.

naem
May 29, 2011

Have we all died of Ebola yet

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

naem posted:

Have we all died of Ebola yet

I sure have.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I hope we get a graph of actual January vs projected at some point. poo poo was supposed to go crazy by the end of this month. Still doesn't eliminate the possibility of a freak outbreak when we let our guard down though since we definitely won't eradicate.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Angela Christine posted:

Yes, you are correct. The question is about people who got panicky about the idea of a global pandemic, and so indulged their inner doomsday prepper and bought some guns.

Who of those who did not already own firearms do you imagine went out and bought one, because of a disease? I saw people panicking and buying respirators and poo poo, but guns? Nah.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I stockpiled t shirts now i have too many t shirts all the memes on them are already outdated "im gay" nobodys gonna wear that anymore :(

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

CrashCat posted:

I hope we get a graph of actual January vs projected at some point. poo poo was supposed to go crazy by the end of this month. Still doesn't eliminate the possibility of a freak outbreak when we let our guard down though since we definitely won't eradicate.

Well as of January 9th there we got this poo poo:

Total Cases: 21,086
Laboratory-Confirmed Cases: 13,776
Total Deaths: 8,289

So not crazy just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

troubled teen posted:

Well as of January 9th there we got this poo poo:

Total Cases: 21,086
Laboratory-Confirmed Cases: 13,776
Total Deaths: 8,289

So not crazy just yet.
Yeah, I know, and I hadn't seen any adjusted projections since the "holy poo poo we need to do something" phase. Just curious where we are relative to the panic graph.

• Locked thread