Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

bewilderment posted:

Then you'd be reported for 'Refusing to Communicate with Team'.

Unless you also never ping, never respond to pings, and ignore everything that's happening in champ select to the point that you pick your own role even if someone picked it already, this will never get you into any trouble. I routinely mute everyone on my own team from the very beginning of the game (any negativity in champ select is usually the trigger, though sometimes I'm just in a mood where I don't want to expose myself to the chance that someone will rage). People might report me for not explaining myself when they say, "Why the gently caress would you <insert mistake here> you loving idiot?" but somehow I'm not worried about Riot taking the reporting guy's side.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Buying champions with RP really is just kind of a waste.

For you, maybe. I value my time quite highly, and have the money to spend on a champion every now and then (with their limited release schedule, it wouldn't cost me very much money to buy every champion they release with RP, actually, if I wanted).

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Slaapaav posted:

So i logged in 1 minute ago and it says im chat banned for 29 games, then it pops up that i received project yasuo . You can apperently get chat banned 3 times in one season and still get the gift. They should let you turn off chat completely in the options because my winrate improves a lot when im chat banned

At the start of the game click the little blue bar and drag it off screen

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
They should let you mute people in loving champion select please have some mercy riot

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Slaapaav posted:

They should let you mute people in loving champion select please have some mercy riot

They should let you report them in champ select and in the game proper (as in, as soon as the incident occurs) and it should mute them automatically as part of the process.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

Unless you also never ping, never respond to pings, and ignore everything that's happening in champ select to the point that you pick your own role even if someone picked it already, this will never get you into any trouble. I routinely mute everyone on my own team from the very beginning of the game (any negativity in champ select is usually the trigger, though sometimes I'm just in a mood where I don't want to expose myself to the chance that someone will rage). People might report me for not explaining myself when they say, "Why the gently caress would you <insert mistake here> you loving idiot?" but somehow I'm not worried about Riot taking the reporting guy's side.

For you, maybe. I value my time quite highly, and have the money to spend on a champion every now and then (with their limited release schedule, it wouldn't cost me very much money to buy every champion they release with RP, actually, if I wanted).

I'm curious about the role portion, can you be banned for not following the meta? Say you don't want to jungle but be a second top.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Che Delilas posted:

It's not that anything to do with valuing time or money or whatever although I still think buying champs with RP is dumb from that perspective anyway but then again I haven't spend any money on this game at all. ANYWAY, point being I would imagine it better to spend money on things you actually want (like neat looking skins or something, I'm told those exist but I haven't found them yet) rather than stuff you're being kinda strongarmed into buying due to the way runes work and the way the system is laid out to mildly handicap and otherwise inconvenience you if you don't.

you're a grown rear end man so you can make your own decisions about what to do with your own money but it's mainly that I'd rather people not support that sort of crap if they can help it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

socialsecurity posted:

I'm curious about the role portion, can you be banned for not following the meta? Say you don't want to jungle but be a second top.

I don't think you'll get banned but if four members of your team are saying "our team comp doesn't work that way, please please don't do that" then you probably won't be happy.

Assuming your toplaner is a semi-standard meta toplaner, there's pretty much no advantage to doing that when you could just be a jungler and camp top lane and only hang around the top side jungle. All the farm and kill potential, none of the experience sharing.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
You can get banned if enough people report you. Why you got reported doesnt matter.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's not that anything to do with valuing time or money or whatever although I still think buying champs with RP is dumb from that perspective anyway but then again I haven't spend any money on this game at all. ANYWAY, point being I would imagine it better to spend money on things you actually want (like neat looking skins or something, I'm told those exist but I haven't found them yet) rather than stuff you're being kinda strongarmed into buying due to the way runes work and the way the system is laid out to mildly handicap and otherwise inconvenience you if you don't.

you're a grown rear end man so you can make your own decisions about what to do with your own money but it's mainly that I'd rather people not support that sort of crap if they can help it.

It is exactly to do with valuing time vs money. Champions are things you actually want. I'm not sure where strongarming you into getting champions is any different than anything else in the shop, but I am a grown-rear end man with a full-time job, and it is a fairly easy value calculation to me to decide that I would have an easy $8 worth of fun to buy the new champion that looks super cool on the spot with RP -- and that $8 is worth getting to play this weekend when I have free time rather than in a month from now when I may not.

I'm not crazy at all about the F2P economies in every other game, but League's is fairly reasonable, and there's so much content they give away for free that I don't mind throwing them some money a few times a year when they've made some cool stuff I'd like to play with.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

socialsecurity posted:

No, you can't. Mathematically duo top and no jungler is strictly inferior in every way because of how gold and XP from the minions and monsters works and the pressure of having a jungler they can't see roaming versus a second laner they can sitting in a lane, but no, the rules pretty explicitly say you can't be banned for not following the meta. You can be banned for explicit trolling though, i.e. say Revive/Clarity Trynd/Garen duo top instalock, which we tried to do on a pubbie the other day to get them to dodge (we accidentally lost our fifth due to server fuckery; the pubbie was alt tabbed or something anyhow and we ended up having to dodge for him :downs: ).

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
You get banned if you get enough reports the rules never come into the equation

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Phenotype posted:

Champions are things you actually want. I'm not sure where strongarming you into getting champions is any different than anything else in the shop,

the person I initially replied to was at that point where they want to be spending their IP on runes to remain competitive and such, but because runes are prohibitively expensive for no reason not based around screwing you he's then leaning towards buying champions with RP because getting the IP to get champions and runes takes too long because runes throws a huge spanner in the unlocking curve you get used to when initially playing the game.

my point has context and doesn't exist in a vacuum, unlike your post. I think this sort of design is a bit lovely and thus would rather people not play folly to it, I guess if you want to say it's about valuing time and money the design here is to intentionally waste the former to get you to part with the latter and I think that's just kind of poo poo and not worth it.

that said even in a vacuum buying champs with RP is still dumb but I don't really object to people doing it in that "I would rather not encourage this style of design in future games thank you" way that I do otherwise. Buy champs if you want to, to be sure, but don't buy them because runes are leaving you without a time-efficient alternative.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 12, 2015

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

This is idiotic. They're not going to ban you for "Unskilled Player" reports, no matter how many of them you get.

Please go away.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Slaapaav posted:

especiallu right now since there hasnt been a peep about the tribunal from riot other than "soon" so its all automated.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Amperor posted:

This is idiotic. They're not going to ban you for "Unskilled Player" reports, no matter how many of them you get.

Please go away.

roll 2D6 for sarcasm detection

:rolldice:

Ouch.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Amperor posted:

Please go away.

no one reports unskiller player for that exact reason idiot

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
I wish Lowtax would strike a deal with Riot Games so that if you got banned in LoL you'd get banned from this fuckin' thread.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I got Shadow Evelynn. Isn't that a lovely recolor with an ugly splash art? Thanks a lot Riot. :geno:

Servaetes posted:

Ladies and germs, we have the loser of the get a free skin contest

Seriously though, Evelynn probably has the worst skins in the game, they're basically all recolors at this point. Safecracker is probably the only halfway decent one.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

psymonkey posted:

I wish Lowtax would strike a deal with Riot Games so that if you got banned in LoL you'd get banned from this fuckin' thread.

Unfortunately I don't think our most prolific shitposters have ever been banned

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm insanely well behaved in League of Legendd

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

psymonkey posted:

how the gently caress would we get gowby posts then you dumbass idiot

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else unable to connect to league? It's linking me to a support page that isn't up.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is anyone else unable to connect to league? It's linking me to a support page that isn't up.

yeah it was hosed for me all night but this worked: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/2s2td2/it_takes_me_on_average_56_attempts_before_i_can/cnlpfx2

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SaffronKit posted:

Seriously though, Evelynn probably has the worst skins in the game, they're basically all recolors at this point. Safecracker is probably the only halfway decent one.

I actually kinda like Tango Eve. The theme gives her a reason to wear those loving ridiculous heels anyway.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

the person I initially replied to was at that point where they want to be spending their IP on runes to remain competitive and such, but because runes are prohibitively expensive for no reason not based around screwing you he's then leaning towards buying champions with RP because getting the IP to get champions and runes takes too long because runes throws a huge spanner in the unlocking curve you get used to when initially playing the game.

my point has context and doesn't exist in a vacuum, unlike your post. I think this sort of design is a bit lovely and thus would rather people not play folly to it, I guess if you want to say it's about valuing time and money the design here is to intentionally waste the former to get you to part with the latter and I think that's just kind of poo poo and not worth it.

that said even in a vacuum buying champs with RP is still dumb but I don't really object to people doing it in that "I would rather not encourage this style of design in future games thank you" way that I do otherwise. Buy champs if you want to, to be sure, but don't buy them because runes are leaving you without a time-efficient alternative.

I'm still not sure where "buying champs with RP is dumb" comes from, whether in context or in a vacuum. Yes, the rune/IP systems are designed to create tension to get you to buy champions because you don't have enough IP for champs AND runes. This is how their business works -- making you either spend money or spend time grinding to unlock content. Regardless of how you look at it, the axis is time/money. Do I think I would have $X worth of fun by purchasing a champion? Would I have substantially more fun than I would by grinding it out for a month? Then I'm buying the champion. Isn't it a little thick-headed to call that dumb? I spend more than the cost of a champion to go to the movies, and I wouldn't want to spend a month watching reruns on cable just to get to see the movie for free.

I tend to agree with you in that I dislike F2P pay schemes, but League is incredibly reasonable about it. Just because you, personally, don't like the idea of Riot using runes/IP to drive champion sales, doesn't make everyone who is willing to spend money to enjoy the game stupid.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Huh that actually worked. This does not imply good things.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Huh that actually worked. This does not imply good things.

i am not one of the computer knowledges. how is this fix meaning bad things

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Amperor posted:

Please go away.

99% of tribunal cases on euw got punished. when they had the tribunal

Do you think it is impossible for false reports to happen or is it just impossible for the system to detect false reports? I know what I think is the situation closest to reality

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You're supposed to always pick Punish, because they wouldn't be in the Tribunal if they were A Good Person

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Slaapaav posted:

Do you think it is impossible for false reports to happen or is it just impossible for the system to detect false reports? I know what I think is the situation closest to reality

Unskilled Player doesn't go to Tribunal.

Melandor
Apr 28, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

I don't think you can post a claim like that without a source and expect people to believe you

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The system had a way of rooting out false reports (IE: Ignoring them by players who are also punished frequently, ignoring players who report whole teams, ect). It also didn't show up for review until a player had a whole, hefty amount of reports, which is why sometimes you'd see people show up in the tribunal with four games and none of them looked bad. It didn't show the 16 other games that were worse. Last, Unskilled Player doesn't do anything anymore, unless a player is reported a whole, whole lot in which case a rioter might look at their match history and bump their MMR down manually. That's rare, though.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Do NOT trust the word of Eurotrash

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Nobody has ever reported unskilled player, every report in the history of the game is negative attitude, if you get enough reports you will in fact get punished regardless of context.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Just because you, personally, don't like the idea of Riot using runes/IP to drive champion sales, doesn't make everyone who is willing to spend money to enjoy the game stupid.

actually it does because I don't even see how that kind of design can be argued as anything other than bad for the consumer, League is an alright game but I basically refuse to spend money on it out of principle.

you can totally spend your eight bucks on a champion for all I care, it's not my money you're wasting, but you don't get to claim this is somehow good in the larger picture. I do not like League's F2P system and repeatedly telling me that League is reasonable about it isn't going to make me agree with you any faster. It's better than a lot of things sure, but it's still worse than the ideal which is why I don't like League being held up like that as a good example of the F2P model. "Oh, it's only slightly dicking you therefore it's good." is not the bar I wish to be set.

all that said once more I really don't get buying champions with RP outside the "bullshit runes" phase of building one's account. The amount of time that one needs to dedicate to this game to be passingly competent at it is astronomically huge to the point where anyone decent enough at it is probably accumulating enough IP to buy whatever poo poo they fancy trying at that moment, there's a lot to choose from and you're probably not going to want all of it at once, or some of it ever. Anything below that and I guess you're spending money on the virtual equivalent of an action figure that you'll play a couple of times and then move on from. which doesn't strike me as good with either time or money. Beyond that, sometimes champions just don't click and/or aren't fun for you to play and there's no real way to know how that will go with a newly released champion unless you're patient enough for free week at which point you're already patient enough to just play the game for the IP. If you're not patient and are simply buying a newly released champion (for the frankly ludicrous price set) that you might not like or be able to get any decent mileage out of sight-unplayed then yes that is stupid and a great way to piss eight bucks into the void.

you can do whatever you like with your money but league's system isn't an especially good one to support nor do I care for rationalising impatient purchasing decisions

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
well it was only a 88% punish rate i guess i was wrong

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/16n3gc/i_made_some_statistics_for_euw_tribunal/

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Melandor posted:

I don't think you can post a claim like that without a source and expect people to believe you

if youve ever used tribunal you know this is close to true. if i could pull up my tribunal log i would show you page after page of like 25 cases per page, and each one would have one, maybe two or three pardons per page if youre lucky. its not exactly 99% but its stupid close

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The amount of time that one needs to dedicate to this game to be passingly competent at it is astronomically huge

And a few bucks isn't that much to be able to make sure I can play the champs I want for that full amount of time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

you can do whatever you like with your money but league's system isn't an especially good one to support nor do I care for rationalising impatient purchasing decisions

I have max rune pages, 75% of the champions, and almost all the useful runes, and I dropped 10 bucks in so I could play Rek'sai a couple weeks ago. I didn't consider it an "impatient purchasing decision", because I simply don't have much time to play League anymore. Riot said "Here is some new content", and I made a rational decision -- getting to enjoy playing this champion this weekend is worth this much money. Would a good little businessman have delayed his gratification for a month so he didn't have to spend all that money? Sure, but this is a game I play for fun, and the purpose of me playing is not to maximize time played per dollar spent. I get a much better return in dollars/hour from my actual job.

From the sounds of it, though, anything that you personally disagree with is "dumb", so it's probably not worth talking to you any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

riots system sucks dick because they give people skins for not being toxic. and they gave me a shaco skin

• Locked thread