Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swicky
Dec 29, 2013

DAY MAN
AHH AHH AHHHHHHH
FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT MAN
AHH AHH AHHHHHHH
He's a master of karate and friendship, for everyone
To what Machinegunboyo said in his quote.

How can they stop this though, because if anything they would have to put a rule out saying "blah blah blah" which could possibly catch people who are just actually signing to be loaned out (like Torres did with Athletico because they couldn't afford him and also he couldn't be loaned out to two different clubs in one season) or if people are doing it to avoid the financial fair play rule (like Man City did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Manchester City are paying 100% of Supah Fwank's wages. How is it avoidance of FFP? It's not like they dumped £200mil on Messi.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
This whole Lampard 'saga' sort of proves its been a loving quiet transfer window so far, and the poor football writers have nothing worthwhile to write about.

Having said that, it is a bit retarded that City tried to claim he was on loan at the start of the season just to appease Chelsea fans or whoever, so that it didn't look like he'd signed a contract with City straight from Chelsea, should just have been upfront about it.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
TGF have you any idea why City are playing a friendly against Hamburg in a week or two? Is it some residual thing from signing Kompany from them or something?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
its probably cause there small time as gently caress

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Eau de MacGowan posted:

TGF have you any idea why City are playing a friendly against Hamburg in a week or two? Is it some residual thing from signing Kompany from them or something?

It's being played in Abu Dhabi as I recall, it's nothing to do with Kompany, it's just something we are doing out there for the owners/etihad/many other sponsors, we played someone out there midseason last year too, reckon it might become an annual thing. Will probably feature mostly U21 players and second string first teamers, it did last year.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
So what Breath Ray said.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

Xabi posted:

So what Breath Ray said.

Essentially, yes.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Manchester City are paying 100% of Supah Fwank's wages. How is it avoidance of FFP? It's not like they dumped £200mil on Messi.

Yeah, this. Frank doing all that PR poo poo for NYCFC makes him look terrible though, especially after that statement.

Wenger still wrong as usual.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Feeder club pays the transfer fee and front loads the contract with a big signing on fee so the bill on Man city's books is much smaller

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
there was no transfer fee though?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I honestly don't think it's a sinister plot, I reckon it's an unexpected situation that evolved as Lampard has been so useful to them.

Don't doubt for a second that City's owners would pull a scheme like this to get around FFP, just not for a 36 year old on a free transfer who doesn't care about their club.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Someone make the match thread.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Especially since Rodgers just did another nazi celebration.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

serious gaylord posted:

Especially since Rodgers just did another nazi celebration.

Go on then

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693640

You pricks, and hoes. Thaw yourself.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Pardew in the post game interview said going a week without fining a player was a breath of fresh air. Said at Newcastle they fined someone every 42 minutes

:allears:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

ronniegardocki posted:

there was no transfer fee though?

Not publically but fat frank isn't going to sign poo poo if there was isn't money on the table.

The sandpeoples stated aim of owning 5 extra clubs is either because 1) they wish to own a range of clubs in all areas of the globe to promote their mediaeval dictatorship or 2) they're using then as feeder clubs to get around Ffp.

Considering their effectively limitless money if it was 1 they'd have done it shortly after they bought city not now.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

The league is City's, Fabregas is a useless soft loving arsenal oval office who would get laughed out of any proper team. Barca didnt want him, man united didnt want him, city didnt want him. says it all

Imagine thinking Fabregas is a good footballer when players like modric are knocking about, a 400 year paul scholes would show him up. comically poo poo footballer

TelekineticBear! fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 11, 2015

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

TelekineticBear! posted:

The league is City's, Fabregas is a useless soft loving arsenal oval office who would get laughed out of any proper team. Barca didnt want him, man united didnt want him, city didnt want him. says it all

Imagine thinking Fabregas is a good footballer when players like modric are knocking about, a 400 year paul scholes would show him up. comically poo poo footballer

Pointlessly bitch all you want, but Chelsea is still top right now and Fabregas still has more assists than anyone got all of last year.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

santanotreal posted:

Pointlessly bitch all you want, but Chelsea is still top right now and Fabregas still has more assists than anyone got all of last year.

Peter Crouch has more career Premier League assists than Paul Scholes.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
Peter Crouch is cool and good.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Peter Crouch has more career Premier League assists than Paul Scholes.

Paul Scholes is the most overrated English footballer of the past 20 years and would have been a nobody had he not played for Manchester United.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrinkage posted:

Paul Scholes is the most overrated English footballer of the past 20 years and would have been a nobody had he not played for Manchester United.

Um excuse me I think you'll find that actually

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Pat Mustard posted:

Justice for the 69.

lol

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

TelekineticBear! posted:

lol you've been getting steamed about Fagregas for a while now. What happened?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

quote:

Aston Villa fans cranked up the pressure on Paul Lambert as they turned on their manager for the second game in a row, chanting for his head. “We want Lambert out” and “We want our Villa back”, the travelling support demanded after Villa slipped back to within two points of the relegation zone by drawing yet another blank in a 1-0 defeat at Leicester City.

As their Midlands rivals continued to keep alive their chances of survival thanks to Paul Konchesky’s goal in first-half stoppage time,Villa made it nearly 12 hours since they last scored in the Premier League. With just two league wins from 17, their fans publicised a petition urging for Lambert’s dismissal.

Dan Lawrie, a Villa fan from Birmingham, has started a petition requesting to “remove Paul Lambert”. The petition states: “We as fans of the club have endured three years of shame under Paul Lambert ... We as fans believe that things will never change under Lambert, and are therefore calling for action.” Randy Lerner, the chairman, put the club up for sale last summer but no serious interest has been forthcoming leaving Villa in limbo.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/10/paul-lambert-aston-villa-leicester

Everything about this is funny to me, bse

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Would you put more of the blame on Lambert or Lerner?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I'm not fussed really there's enough blame to go round. Lerner's fault that they will be relegation battlers until they get a richer/more interested owner, Lamberts fault that they are boring as gently caress and incapable of scoring.

Remember last season when you had to go down to the 9th tier of English football to find a team that scored less often than Norwich? At this stage we'd scored 17, Villa have 11.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's ok, they'll have a morale-boosting victory against Liverpool next week

quote:

The petition states: “We as fans of the club have endured three years of shame under Paul Lambert
They should organise a Villa Pride Parade.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Villa fans are as fickle as Newcastle. Know your place.You don't belong anywhere near the top 8

Though at least with Villa they have actually won something

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Villa fans are as fickle as Newcastle. Know your place.You don't belong anywhere near the top 8

Historically they do, though.

They've historically been upper mid table and if they had a bit of money, there's no reason they couldn't be much better than they are now. They're honours list isn't too much different to someone like Tottenham, they have a good history and a large stadium in a massive city. They should probably be around where they were when Lerner came in, but then City got bought and they had no chance of getting top 4, so he stopped putting in as much money, I think.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Villa have a very poor squad on paper imo and I would be surprised if a new manager made a huge amount of difference. I think things are only going to get worse too with Delph unlikely to renew his contract and Vlaar doing the same. Can't see Benteke hanging around for much longer either.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Villa are a much bigger club than Chelsea, City, Spurs, Everton etc

Ewar Woowar posted:

Vlaar doing the same.

Vlaar is terrible though

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Ewar Woowar posted:

Villa have a very poor squad on paper imo and I would be surprised if a new manager made a huge amount of difference. I think things are only going to get worse too with Delph unlikely to renew his contract and Vlaar doing the same. Can't see Benteke hanging around for much longer either.

Keep going I'm almost there

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Blue Star Error posted:

Keep going I'm almost there

Star signing Tom Cleverley

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Arsenal refused to let someone into the stadium this weekend for having a selfie stick since they've now been banned lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Arsenal refused to let someone into the stadium this weekend for having a selfie stick since they've now been banned lol

The only decent thing the emirates has ever done.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

This is a bad opinion. Newcastle should be doing much better than they are, what with the resources behind them that are forever unused. Also they are a big club you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Don't know if this is :filez: talk, but I just got a subscription to premierleaguepass.com and it owns. No more dodgy streams and russian commentary. Feels good man.

• Locked thread