Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Booties posted:

Isn't it based on number of games played? I've played like 20-30 matches.

When I got first ranked it put me at Gold 2.

Depends how well you do in the first 8 matches. Though in slayer if you lose even going 25-1 each match you could still be ranked iron.

Farts I'll probably be on as well. Are they taking out Eden and... the other one...

e: eden and the other oneregret are out, truth back in with the forge maps

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I haven't had a chance to try the newest update, did they add vehicles?

Edit: this is the first Halo that won't let you use N64 as a service tag. That's stupid.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 9, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Because it's only 3 letters?

Also no vehicles. I doubt we'll see any in the beta because vehicles and 4v4 tends not to work. Maybe a ghost but probably no hogs or mongeese

VideoGames posted:

goddamn mickraider is absolutely hosed in the head. he's to halo what dr faustus is to forza
who the heck is dr faustus

#HaloAddictsAnonymous

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 9, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just finished a questionnaire sent by MS about the Halo beta, asking things like which was the best halo single player, which was the best multi, ordering them, and talking about what aspects of the beta are good/bad.

Hopefully they get the message.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Did you make it very clear that if the matchmaking isn't perfect the game is going to fail hard?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MickRaider posted:

Did you make it very clear that if the matchmaking isn't perfect the game is going to fail hard?

I mean my individual comments are almost assuredly going to get lost in the crowd (although I did write a nice paragraph bitching about matchmaking) but I also listed matchmaking as the worst thing and ranked the questions about matchmaking poorly.

Hopefully everybody else does too.

Fresh Heir
Aug 11, 2002

I'm a breath of motherfuckin...
I'll be on later tonight, probably all night, if anyone wants to invite or join.

gt: Mr Al Leon

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Stronghold is cool

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Ok I give up on playing for onyx. It keeps pairing me with a semipro in the lobby then by the time the game starts they're on the other team and my teammates go 1-15

gently caress that poo poo

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
This is the first Halo MP that I really haven't had any fun with. I just keep going back to MCC since as broken as that one is, it's a lot more fun for me. I think the game is just getting to have too much going on to just be good simple fun like Halo 1/2/3 had.

Iron scopes, sprint.. some kind of jet pack flying button thing that I don't understand just makes me think too much for my fun relaxing shooting time.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

"Fun relaxing shooting time" was never something I'd have described halo as. It's fun, but I always found it to be pretty intense. Guess it just depends how you play the game.

I've found sights, sprint, and thrust to integrate well and really improves upon the gameplay. It's significantly faster and more intense than the older games, that's for sure.

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Yeah I love this beta. The Thruster is so much fun to use, same with the other abilities. I'm having almost as much fun as I did in Halo 2.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

John Lightning posted:

Yeah I love this beta. The Thruster is so much fun to use, same with the other abilities. I'm having almost as much fun as I did in Halo 2.

The thruster is a huge addition, it turns those situations where you walk round a corner and see two enemies from a "well I'm hosed" to a "boost the gently caress out of here", which is a much more enjoyable experience.

I like the headshot kill sound. It's a nice *pop*

Gonna try out the new maps today, see how they are.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Why are there so many people griefing and idling in a time limited beta i don't even.

Like, you are playing this game you can only play for a short time and your choice is to AFK or sit around shooting teammates even though it does no damage.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
I quite like the capture and hold gameplay type, had some good games today. AR/BR start is really good too

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't care for the first forge map I tried. Too cluttered and confusing. We'll see if the other one is any better.

Then again playing against onyx and semipro sucks

Lord Zedd
Dec 25, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I haven't had a chance to try the newest update, did they add vehicles?

Edit: this is the first Halo that won't let you use N64 as a service tag. That's stupid.

Umm excuse me but N64 was not allowed in Halo 3.
:goonsay:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't know if it's because I'm tired or depressed or frustrated that MCC is still broken (probably that), but I really am not enjoying this game anymore. Let me play some working MCC.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Probably being an onyx. It's not fun when you play against people with that level of skill, let alone a team that communicates.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Why did they give the Covenant ships Star Trek nacelles?

vs

Looks stupid, C-

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Anyone want to play slayer or breakout? I'm on right now for a couple hours. GT is Booties. Sick of scrub team mates

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Just won 100-0 on strongholds. Crazy

After losing 2 in a row badly

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Just won my first sudden death game after being down 46-38 and tying it. Went 22-10

Just played my first pro, rank 2003

Got destroyed by like 20 points.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 12, 2015

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
One change I haven't seen anyone comment on...the reticle is now directly in the center of the screen. Was throwing the feel of the game off for me a bit there.

But I'm enjoying myself...

http://xboxclips.com/Aww+Jeah/600fcd4a-47f7-4564-839c-15a3339fbe01

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Ok this ranking system blows. Hope they fix that before release because it is a pain in the rear end to level up no matter how well you're playing. It ranked me in bronze so now I have to grind up to a decent rating with poo poo team mates on each side because of the league I'm in.

I have a 2.1 KDR, 44 wins, and I'm barely in Bronze 3. I see people with < 1.0 KDR in gold and poo poo and I'm just scratching my head as I rip off 20-25 kills a game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Booties posted:

Ok this ranking system blows. Hope they fix that before release because it is a pain in the rear end to level up no matter how well you're playing. It ranked me in bronze so now I have to grind up to a decent rating with poo poo team mates on each side because of the league I'm in.

I have a 2.1 KDR, 44 wins, and I'm barely in Bronze 3. I see people with < 1.0 KDR in gold and poo poo and I'm just scratching my head as I rip off 20-25 kills a game.

Playing in Onyx sucks because any loss is a huge hit to your rank and you will be consistently paired with players that go 5/14. It's the worst.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ever since I ranked up to gold, I've gone on the worst spree of bad games that I can remember. I'm getting consistently 4 shotted, while I pump 3 BR bursts with hit markers into an unshielded opponent and die. I'm also consistently matched with Onyx and semi pros who wreck me.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

AwwJeah posted:

One change I haven't seen anyone comment on...the reticle is now directly in the center of the screen. Was throwing the feel of the game off for me a bit there.

Whack a mole.

I noticed a lot of players don't bother with ADS when they kill me with BR, it shows on the kill cam. I'm using ADS less and getting more kills that way, bad habits from destiny.

With BR how many bursts should it take to kill someone. It feels like I need about ten to twenty bursts and everyone else needs two. Are you meant to aim at the chest with that gun?

Have been getting owned a lot but been having fun while also getting really annoyed and shouting. Definitely feels like halo.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Agoat posted:

Playing in Onyx sucks because any loss is a huge hit to your rank and you will be consistently paired with players that go 5/14. It's the worst.

Yeah, that's just halo for ya. I guess having a small player population right now is hurting the ranking system, but it does take way too many games to level up, and the initial rating seems really arbitrary. Anywho, I'll just stomp on kids in Bronze until the beta is over. I will definitely miss this game while it's being prepped for official release. I am having way too much fun playing it. MCC still loving sucks, but Halo 5 may actually make me care less. And if I'd getting ODST too then I can't be TOO mad, can I?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Booties posted:

Yeah, that's just halo for ya. I guess having a small player population right now is hurting the ranking system, but it does take way too many games to level up, and the initial rating seems really arbitrary. Anywho, I'll just stomp on kids in Bronze until the beta is over. I will definitely miss this game while it's being prepped for official release. I am having way too much fun playing it. MCC still loving sucks, but Halo 5 may actually make me care less. And if I'd getting ODST too then I can't be TOO mad, can I?

I just want a 1v1 playlist again. :|

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Agoat posted:

Dual never worked in halo. Generally boiled down to one person getting the lead then camping the whole time. It's no quake 3.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Agoat posted:

Why have a playlist when you can just 1v1 people on guardian?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Crafty posted:

With BR how many bursts should it take to kill someone. It feels like I need about ten to twenty bursts and everyone else needs two. Are you meant to aim at the chest with that gun?

4 shots.

Aim for the chest for the first three shots - it's easier to hit that way and headshots don't do any extra damage when shields are up. The third shot drops the shield, so aim up and pump the last burst into their head for the kill.

The same goes for the DMR and light rifle, except DMR takes four to down shields, so hit the head with the 5th. Lightrifle needs either 5 or 6 unscoped, but only 3 total (two body, one head) while scoped.

Sniper rifle, go for a headshot right away, as it is the only weapon with a damage bonus to shielded heads (kills in 1 headshot, obviously).

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
There's a 100mb update, not sure what it does.

I feel like i'm not getting any better at this game even though I've put about 8 hours in. I aim like a blind man

Funkmaster General posted:

4 shots.

Aim for the chest for the first three shots - it's easier to hit that way and headshots don't do any extra damage when shields are up. The third shot drops the shield, so aim up and pump the last burst into their head for the kill.

The same goes for the DMR and light rifle, except DMR takes four to sown shields, so hit the head with the 5th. Lightrifle needs either 5 or 6 unscoped, but only 3 total (two body, one head) while scoped.

Sniler rifle, go for a headshot right away, as it is the only weapon with a damage bonus to shielded heads (kills in 1 headshot, obviously).

Thanks

Crafty fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 12, 2015

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
ehhe

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Coors original is still a better game than MCC

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

AwwJeah posted:

loving finaaaaaaally as well. It was off-center since Halo 2 and I have no loving idea why Bungie made it like that. It carried over to Destiny as well.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I guess they thought that since you hold the gun in your right hand/right elbow crook that you should have a sight that is slightly on the right side of the screen. But if you're centering your face with the sights then it doesn't make any sense for it to be anywhere BUT dead center. The animation should start from the right and move towards center if anything fancy should apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Some TTK stuff from reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2rse9w/kill_times_for_all_weapons_in_the_h5_beta/

quote:

Here is the full list (to the frame) for the kill times for each rifle we have seen so far. (In order of kill time)
Flawless AR (all to the head) - (31 frames) - 1.03 seconds
Flawless SMG - (32.5 frames, vid editor is 30fps/lag possibly) 1.08 ish
Pistol - (33 frames) 1.10
LR - Scoped once, then 2 unscoped - 1.10
LR - Scoped 3 times - (34 frames) 1.13
LR - unscoped 4 times - (37 frames) 1.24
BR - (40 frames) 1.34
DMR 1.40 (42 frames)
In comparison to other games
CE Pistol - 0.6
H2/H4 BR - 1.43
H3 BR - 1.52
H4 5SK BR - 1.8

I've had MCC for a week yet but haven't even booted anything beyond the menu screen, all I've been playing is the H5 beta. Definitely fun.

• Locked thread