Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I missed the memo. :(

Although I'm down for national marzipan day.

I'm doubting this source as my Facebook is not blowing up about pharmacist day. Most of the people I graduated with are huge spergs about that type of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I was briefly interested in trying to switch over to the digital climate controls in my Explorer. About 20 minutes of searching and reading killed that idea pretty fast.
Just can't make anything easy now can you Ford?

You'd think It'd be like, change bezel, swap some wires, add sensors, possibly change the Evap box and you'd be golden.
But no, apperently everything is routed through the climate controls and requires a full wiring harness swap, PCM reprogramming, and even then it's a crapshoot if it'll work properly.

Still though, it'd be nice. Oh well. Guess I could upgrade to that sweet 6 CD radio. :v:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 13, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Could somebody re post that TV review/comparison site that was posted awhile back? IIRC Motronic posted it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Alright, that's enough feedback to tell me this needs to happen. I'm playing with a form and a spreadsheet now.

I wish I could participate more in this, but I don't think there's a single u-pull yard in all of Long Island :sigh: The lawyer : resident ratio is too high out here for this to be successful. And even if there was, they'd sell everything for 95% of what the part would cost new from the dealer anyways. Although I still may have a small request at some point

For the form - maybe it would be a good idea to put a "tech notes" column or something as well? Something that could be used as a place to write notes on how to remove delicate parts without breaking them (poo poo like "to get shifter surround out, pop out shift boot and undo 2 screws hidden underneath before removing"), etc. Chances are, the person looking for a specific part will know exactly how it attaches, and all the "gotchas" for how to install / remove it without destroying it in the process, whereas someone who happens to spot the item in a yard and is unfamiliar with the car may have no idea. Would be a shame to destroy some unicorn part due to lack of knowledge on how to remove it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Black88GTA posted:

maybe it would be a good idea to put a "tech notes" column or something as well? Something that could be used as a place to write notes on how to remove delicate parts without breaking them (poo poo like "to get shifter surround out, pop out shift boot and undo 2 screws hidden underneath before removing"), etc. Chances are, the person looking for a specific part will know exactly how it attaches, and all the "gotchas" for how to install / remove it without destroying it in the process, whereas someone who happens to spot the item in a yard and is unfamiliar with the car may have no idea. Would be a shame to destroy some unicorn part due to lack of knowledge on how to remove it.

I'm almost done (holy gently caress this Google Forms thing is easy, though not quite as powerful as I'd like). I have a field for a short description (I said there's a 75 character max but couldn't put a hard limit in, like I said it could be a little more powerful) and a second field where you can put a URL to a post in the thread I'll be making which you can use to talk about the specifics of the part and how to get it out.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

leica posted:

Could somebody re post that TV review/comparison site that was posted awhile back? IIRC Motronic posted it.

Was it rtings.com? I think so, because I found out about that site through here and it ended up informing my TV purchase strongly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yep that's it, thanks bud.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
What a poo poo day.
Had a fight with the fiancé over some stupid poo poo, found out about how deep and hosed up bipolarism runs in my family, then learned that my great aunt passed away from pneumonia.

She was instrumental in my family ending up in the states. If it wasn't for her I would not be where I am today. She will be sorely missed...
Goddamn that's it for all my grandparents. We Mexicans might age well, but we don't age long.

What a start with 2015.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm reasonably happy with the rx-safety prescription goggles I got, and I managed to lose my prescription sunglasses during some last-minute Christmas shopping. I need to sit down and take some measurements off of my regular glasses and try ordering those as well.

Is there really anything vision insurance covers other than eye exams and glasses? Even on the with-insurance rate, the price I paid for my last set of glasses was stupid high and I'd be way better off just ditching the insurance, getting my exams done at Costco for ~$60, and ordering my glasses online.

FWIW, in my own experience, "vision insurance" really seems to just pre-pay for an exam and cheap glasses every year. If you look at the limits, they're pretty close to what you're paying in premiums. The only way it made sense for me is at one employer (Whole Foods), they put $1800/year on a flexible spending account for me - which can only be used for glasses, prescriptions, OTC medications, etc (basically anything related to medical, vision, or dental). My last set of glasses (in 2009), after insurance, was still nearly $300, which the FSA covered.

I went to the eye doctor attached to VisionWorks in a local mall to get an RX last year - my medical insurance knocks $10 off of exams through them, so I think I paid something like $40 or $50 for the exam. Ordered my first pair of glasses through Zenni Optical, and while they got the lenses right, the frames were cast really badly (one hinge was barely inside the plastic casting). They did replace the frames without much of a hassle. Second and third pair came from optical4less.com (using the SA-Mart coupon code). Took about the same amount of time, and their Rayban knockoffs really do make good sunglasses. Zenni now has a US office, and bills in USD, but they're still made in China; opitcal4less is based in Hong Kong (I actually got the exact same cases for each pair of glasses from both companies, just a different insert) and shows USD prices, but bills in HKD. I got hit with a small conversion fee (1%) by my bank for a ~$70 order, so you might want to check with your bank about conversion fees.

If anything, optical4less orders arrive quicker. Zenni has a lot more options for frames (and a much better website), but you have to wait for the glasses to be shipped to California, then shipped to you. The bridge and width measurements will be the most important (and will be printed on your existing glasses). The temple isn't quite as important (if it's too long, they just stick past your ears a bit), but if the bridge is too wide, they just slide off nonstop. Including shipping, I'm in for less than $150 for 3 pairs of glasses (1 from Zenni, 2 from optical4less; Zenni's were plastic frames, optical4less was 1 metal frame with regular lenses, 1 Rayban knockoff with dark tint for sunglasses, all with every coating option they have except for mirror; scratch, reflective, water-repelling, oil-repelling).

Both also offer safety glasses.

I know Viggen can chime in on optical4less as well, and I'm pretty sure he has the same Rayban knockoffs for sunglasses. My only gripe is one I thought I'd never have - they're almost too dark. I went with the darkest option available, and they're much, much darker than my Oakleys were. You can also order polarized and mirror coatings, though the mirror coatings from both Zenni and O4L are straight out of Miami Vice. I've found polarized coatings don't play nice with whatever tint my car has (my Oakleys were polarized, I haven't tried that option with Zenni or O4L); everything looks like a drat rainbow through every tinted rainbow. I'm guessing it's metallic tint, since it's likely as old as the car (I'm the 2nd owner, but its original sale was in October 2005, and it was probably a dealer demo car from what I can tell from the mileage when it was first titled), and has yet to fade or bubble.

The downside is if they don't fit right, you can't just walk into where you bought them to get them reshaped. The metal frames are easy enough to reshape yourself; the plastic ones will need a hair dryer or heat gun to reshape (and you'll need that annoying narrow nozzle that everyone throws away unless you want to distort the lenses).

[/rant]

Propaganda Bob posted:

55k original miles. No, really. Guy had a logbook of maintenance and mileage going back to the original purchase. I didn't really care for the wheels in the pictures either, but they do look a lot better in person and aren't quite as obnoxiously chrome. As for the paint it's a metallic charcoal and is pretty flawless. It looks really good in the sun.

You found a unicorn. Seriously. I'd be really concerned about seals, gaskets, hoses, etc being dried out and deciding "I need to take a leak", but if it's really 55k, it should drive like it's brand new. Might want to look at the tires and see how old they are (there's a DOT code that reads WWYY - i.e. 3506 would be week 35 of 2006, IIRC), and see if there's much dryrot on them.

What happened to the original lights though? :barf:

mafoose posted:

Had a fight with the fiancé over some stupid poo poo, found out about how deep and hosed up bipolarism runs in my family, then learned that my great aunt passed away from pneumonia.

Goddamn that's it for all my grandparents. We Mexicans might age well, but we don't age long.

:glomp: Sorry man.

Cut back on the lard, it might help with the longevity. I somewhat kid, but I spent the first 19 years of my life in a border town, and I'm more familiar with Mexican food than American food. As for not aging long - my best friend growing up, his father died in his early 50s, from Alzheimers. His parents immigrated to El Paso from Juarez when they were in their teens or 20s. His mom's still alive and well, thankfully.

mariooncrack posted:

Probably your ROM. Are you using the stock kernel that comes with SlimLP or another custom kernel?

Following up on this. It's gotta be a kernel issue. I switched to a modified kernel today, and it's been on the wireless charger for a bit. It's been sitting at 100% for over an hour now. Only gripe is the screen turns on for a split second every few minutes while it's charging, but that may be because I have tap to wake enabled (going to disable it in a few, it's a battery hog anyway).

For Nexus 5 users on Lollipop, this is the kernel I'm using now. Performance is night and day even out of the box; Tapped Out is actually smooth (even though it's still on the Xmas/New Years version, which has plenty of snow and moving sprites on the screen) instead of 5 fps.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 13, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Work starts today on a crazy opportunity my company set me up with, that I heard about for the first time on Wednesday. It's the area of work I want to get into, and to say this is a foot in the door is an understatement. 4 or 5 month contract and I'm making decisions that impact tens of millions of dollars for a power supplier. I'm going back and forth between equal parts ready to throw up from excitement and ready to throw up from worry. Holy gently caress. 2015 I love you.

Also you guys would be super surprised how much stoichiometry a fuel-oil fired power plant has in common with a car.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 13, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tommychu posted:

So I had an idea today after coming up dry on another round of junkyard posi checks. We love junkyards and we love helping each other out, a lot of us have mentioned they have standing orders for poo poo they need and the Row52 Parts Puller thing has a lot of potential for being hosed by some idiot meth head across the country. Has anyone thought about doing a junkyard wanted parts list? I'm imagining a little script on Google Docs where you'd enter username/email/year(s)/make/model(s)/part wanted and it'd pop you into a read-only spreadsheet that we all could see and keep an eye out for the good stuff. Does this sound feasible to anyone else?
I know this isn't the most current post on this subject but that's a drat good idea. Would you be making a thread to support it for uninstall directions and stuff? I have a bunch of hard to find (in the US) parts ready for the list.

Propaganda Bob posted:

55k original miles. No, really. Guy had a logbook of maintenance and mileage going back to the original purchase. I didn't really care for the wheels in the pictures either, but they do look a lot better in person and aren't quite as obnoxiously chrome. As for the paint it's a metallic charcoal and is pretty flawless. It looks really good in the sun.
drat good find. I'm a sucker for original so I'd find a clean set of original wheels then enjoy the hell out of it.

Adiabatic posted:

Work starts today on a crazy opportunity my company set me up with, that I heard about for the first time on Wednesday. It's the area of work I want to get into, and to say this is a foot in the door is an understatement. 4 or 5 month contract and I'm making decisions that impact tens of millions of dollars for a power supplier. I'm going back and forth between equal parts ready to throw up from excitement and ready to throw up from worry. Holy gently caress. 2015 I love you.
That's awesome, do it and if you throw up oh well. My company doesn't have me making decisions, instead they install a system then once it's in mention that it's mine. September through December of last year were nuts and it looks like we'll be doing a repeat this year and I think I'll be taking care of install/acceptance for a few other systems this year. How I'm the only hardware field guy in the US who realized these new systems were going to take off is crazy.

Last summer I was in Germany to support a couple sites while the guy there was on vacation and again for some install/acceptance stuff. Now it looks like he is retiring...despite things going pretty drat good here I'm tempted to apply.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I have a zit forming right above my upper lip. So god drat annoying.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

Last summer I was in Germany to support a couple sites while the guy there was on vacation and again for some install/acceptance stuff. Now it looks like he is retiring...despite things going pretty drat good here I'm tempted to apply.

Depending on how tied down you are with those pesky "family" members, I'd totally do it if the opportunity arose. I only spent like 2 weeks in Germany just chilling, but it was still the best, most relaxed part of my holiday in the Eu. People are so loving nice it's totally backwards to how it is in Ausland.

DO ITTTTTTTTT

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have a packet of flame grilled steak crisps and a can of Monster. Life is good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I get the feeling I am unwelcome in the VW/Audi question thread. Everytime I post a question, it never gets answered.

.....am I a pariah? :ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

I get the feeling I am unwelcome in the VW/Audi question thread. Everytime I post a question, it never gets answered.

Sorry, you need a special posting tool to analyze that thread.

Here's an 80, I know it's not a 90 but it might give you some clues as to their design theories at the time. I bet it's pretty common between the two of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiA-qvYFtec

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

88h88 posted:

I have a packet of flame grilled steak crisps and a can of Monster. Life is good.

I am a total sucker for Monster. I love several of their drinks and I think their sports m arketing is fantastic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

If you have a compatible motherboard, this may be of interest to you. Also, this if you decide to go through with it.

I just flashed back to the time when I had a ~1Ghz Tualatin-core Celeron, in a 370-370 socket adapter, in a 370-slot1 adapter, in an Abit BH6. Gotta love the 440BX.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fingerling posted:

Depending on how tied down you are with those pesky "family" members, I'd totally do it if the opportunity arose. I only spent like 2 weeks in Germany just chilling, but it was still the best, most relaxed part of my holiday in the Eu. People are so loving nice it's totally backwards to how it is in Ausland.

DO ITTTTTTTTT
I'm very tempted, I spent ~11 weeks there last year and loved everything about it. I already live 1000 miles from my parents and other than my brother and his wife living with me wouldn't miss them there isn't anything tying me to where I am now. It's a toss up though, I'm very secure where I am now through ~2020 at least with current contracts.

There's also a couple spots in Saudi Arabia, I'm on the short list of volunteers to go help on that install so I'll see how it is. poo poo load of openings in the US but for some reason I really like the idea of spending a few years abroad. Few positions back where I grew up I keep thinking about but then I look at the weather and it's 30 below...

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 13, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I messed around with skt370 a lot too. Had a few cu-mine 66fsb up to 100fsb on a bh6 with a slotket.
Also had a dual skt370 motherboard running tualatin celeron 900-1.1Ghz (IIRC - can't remember for sure the highest skt370 CPUs I owned, somewhere around 1ghz and that dual board couldn't overclock or run P3s).
Anyway, they all died the same way, capacitor failure like every motherboard from that period, that's what got me into learning about caps and motherboard/PSU cap failure repair. But I kind of gave up on that as I haven't had a single cap failure on any board since 2008.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 13, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

I am a total sucker for Monster. I love several of their drinks and I think their sports m arketing is fantastic.

Monster fucks with my heart really bad. Hell a strong coffee can make me feel strange.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sorry, you need a special posting tool to analyze that thread.

Here's an 80, I know it's not a 90 but it might give you some clues as to their design theories at the time. I bet it's pretty common between the two of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiA-qvYFtec

That is basically how it ended up working out, but the lower trim piece on the Audi 90 is a single piece that runs the length of the front of the car, versus what is shown there.

But yeah, four screws and out it came.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just flashed back to the time when I had a ~1Ghz Tualatin-core Celeron, in a 370-370 socket adapter, in a 370-slot1 adapter, in an Abit BH6. Gotta love the 440BX.

I miss Socket 7 and Slot A / Slot 1

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Nothing special about socket 7. Super socket 7 on the other hand...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You guys suck, socket 4 and 8 were the bees knees. :smug:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Still have my Abit bp6 dual celeron motherboard. Complete with dual 400's that ran at...poo poo, can't remember, 533 or 566 or some insane poo poo. I had so many fans in that case it sounded like a combine.
Last I checked (3 years ago) it still booted/ran. With my Win 2k install on there.
Those were the days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

You guys suck, socket 4 and 8 were the bees knees. :smug:

Pentium Pro Bug :smuggo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

On the other hand, I have a Quad Pentium II Socket 8 Server. Still works, runs an exchange.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 13, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

angryhampster posted:

All I know is I hate seeing the logo and I only really like the regular one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Pentium Pro Bug :smuggo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_FDIV_bug

On the other hand, I have a Quad Pentium II Socket 8 Server. Still works, runs an exchange.

The funny thing is, that's like $200 right there.

In gold. Sell those chips to some cyanide-covered goldbug on ebay and buy something with ten times the processing power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

The funny thing is, that's like $200 right there.

In gold. Sell those chips to some cyanide-covered goldbug on ebay and buy something with ten times the processing power.

I keep it for nostalgia purposes. I've got a bunch of old machines: Alphas, SGI Onyx, HP 9000, etc.

And the Pentium Pro system has four of the Pentium II Overdrives in it, so its kinda special.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I really wanted to have an answer for you because my 1990 audi 80 was my first real car and I replaced the headlight on it about 15 years ago, but I couldn't remember how it was done.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Saw what I think was an Aston Martin on the way home, can anyone help identify it?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Badge strikes me as America's Import.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

Saw what I think was an Aston Martin on the way home, can anyone help identify it?

It's a Chrysler (Lancia) Delta.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I keep it for nostalgia purposes. I've got a bunch of old machines: Alphas, SGI Onyx, HP 9000, etc.

And the Pentium Pro system has four of the Pentium II Overdrives in it, so its kinda special.

How bad is your power bill? I ditched all my *running* old gear several years back and moved to a single ESXi host. Our power bill dropped $40/month. (Mind you it was like 10 first gen Dual pIII/p4 Xeon when no one cared about energy savings.) It still flames up when I fire up my Cisco lab, but no worse then when I'm using my 250 amp MIG welder. I really should finish my Cisco CCNA.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm pretty sure the intersection right below our house is cursed. We get at least a dozen highway closures a year due to rock slides or fatality accidents.
This happened at the end of December:
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/2014/12/21/rock-slide-blocks-all-lanes-of-hwy-99e/20734799/

And yesterday this happened:
http://www.kgw.com/story/news/local/clackamas-county/2015/01/12/clackamas-county-canby-crash-99e/21651785/
(Somewhere in there is a green Hyundai :(.)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know this isn't the most current post on this subject but that's a drat good idea. Would you be making a thread to support it for uninstall directions and stuff? I have a bunch of hard to find (in the US) parts ready for the list.
Yep. Thread is live. Can't link from my phone but it's the only one on the first page with a request tag.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

freelop posted:

As Dave said, Lancia Delta. I regularly sit behind one at the lights and was amazed to learn exactly what it was.

Should be in the 'terrible things' thread because it's ugly as poo poo and not worthy of the model name.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Wow they are really ugly, didn't see it from the front.

Thought maybe Aston was trying a Cygnet type thing again.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

CommieGIR posted:

Nice. I was cleaning out a warehouse when I was in the Army, probably in 2004, and there were rows and rows of shelves of old SGI machines, fully completed. Also some kind of server with what looked like swappable CPU cards and RAM cards. There were like 10 vertical slots, and I remember about 6 cards with Pentium Pro's interleaved with the RAM cards, each covered with slots for EDO. There weren't any onboard hard drives, just a SCSI port off of the server backplane, and they were something like 12U sized. Just plain weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Nice. I was cleaning out a warehouse when I was in the Army, probably in 2004, and there were rows and rows of shelves of old SGI machines, fully completed. Also some kind of server with what looked like swappable CPU cards and RAM cards. There were like 10 vertical slots, and I remember about 6 cards with Pentium Pro's interleaved with the RAM cards, each covered with slots for EDO. There weren't any onboard hard drives, just a SCSI port off of the server backplane, and they were something like 12U sized. Just plain weird.

I should really put together the bare Octane2 that I have in my parts pile to see if it even works. drat thing is so heavy.

• Locked thread