Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Whoa you mean to tell me old computer games have pacing issues and werird keybinds!? Mind loving blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Avernum: Escape from the PIt, the remake of Avernum 1 which was itself a remake of Exile 1, by Spiderweb just went up on GOG. I'm quite surprised; I had heard from several goons that "GOG didn't do remakes" despite having all of the Avernum games, of which 1, 2, 3 and Blades of are remakes. Escape from the Pit has been out for a while, and after this much time I just assumed that it wouldn't be coming to GOG.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I had heard from several goons that "GOG didn't do remakes"

those several goons were wrong

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Mortimer posted:

those several goons were wrong

My world view is now shattered due to the fallibility of goons.

Previous discussion, though, made me buy a copy of Rogue Leader for the GameCube so that I could play it on my big telly. Sadly, I don't have an N64 or I would have picked up Rogue Squadron, but Leader is also very good. I thought about Rebel Strike, but I recall that being not nearly as good as its predecessors. Not bad, but just not great like Squadron/Leader.

I have about 1000 Club Nintendo coins but had my head up my arse a few months ago when I could have gotten Star Fox 64 on Virtual Console for 250 coins. Still kicking myself for that; that would have been great fun on a big screen.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aces High posted:

B-Wings? Pretty much any -Wing craft will get you if you're in knife-fighting distance. A-Wings are probably the safest in that regard since they just have the fuselage, Y-Wings will send one of their engines at you, X-Wings will send their wings at you and then there's the B-Wing

Ironically, in ROTJ it was an A-Wing that (accidentally) kamikaze-d a Star Destroyer in the bridge. The EU then made it so that A-Wings are actually designed to ram Star Destroyer bridges.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I'm going to go ahead and guess that playing the Avernum remakes are better than playing the originals?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

augustus gluten posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that playing the Avernum remakes are better than playing the originals?

In my experience, yes. I haven't played much of the original trilogy, but the interface is more complex and the graphics really haven't aged well. The remake is on par with Avadon 1 (in terms of art, graphics, and UI). It also has an overhauled skill system and I believe more content.

The Avernum 2 remake should be coming out later this month. Hopefully it lands on GOG at launch.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

augustus gluten posted:

There are some things that I miss, such as having six characters in my party. But despite having played all the Exile games, I still played and enjoyed the Avernum remakes. I'm not so sure about these new ones because I haven't even finished Avadon 2 or the Geneforge series, but I'll probably end up playing them too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Daler Mehndi posted:

There are some things that I miss, such as having six characters in my party.

I can't play Exile games because they are simply too dated and clunky, but this is my major problem. Going from 6 to 5 wouldn't have been quite so bad, but 6 to 4 is a huge loss. It's easily my biggest issue with the remakes, either the first set or the second.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Daler Mehndi posted:

There are some things that I miss, such as having six characters in my party. But despite having played all the Exile games, I still played and enjoyed the Avernum remakes. I'm not so sure about these new ones because I haven't even finished Avadon 2 or the Geneforge series, but I'll probably end up playing them too.

Geneforge is very good.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I like Exile for being rather fast (no animations), and using separate maps for battles like Ultima 3 did. Once Spiderweb switched to the "I can believe it's not Infinity" isometric engine all location maps grew larger in scale because every corner had to be big enough for a party to operate in. Backtracking takes ages.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

mr. why posted:

The Avernum 2 remake should be coming out later this month. Hopefully it lands on GOG at launch.

Update:

Jeff Vogel recently announced that it will be released on Jan 14th (presumably on GOG in addition to Steam, direct, etc).

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/553322478114590720

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

mr. why posted:

Update:

Jeff Vogel recently announced that it will be released on Jan 14th (presumably on GOG in addition to Steam, direct, etc).

https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/553322478114590720

Good to hear. One of the chaps who posts in the Spiderweb thread said he was on the Beta and that it would be out this coming week, but it's nice to hear it from Jeff himself. With Escape from the Pit just hitting GOG yesterday after a long and conspicuous absence, I hope that Crystal Souls hits GOG first day.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So now that Conquests of the Longbow and Laura Bow are on the Archive.org DOS thing, can we get some drat GOG releases please?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Colonel's Bequest has some great use of EGA graphics. I'd pick up a copy from GOG just for that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Are Montegue's Mount and Chaos Engine Remake worth a buck (plus the time it takes to play them, and my time is moderately valuable)? They're both games I saw on GOG that are now on the latest Humble Bundle.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I am spending way too much time playing Caesar III and Pharaoh, these games are still fantastic more than 15 years later. Why aren't historical city-building sims a thing any more? :saddowns:

Seriously, these would be amazing with modern hardware.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Grim Fandango Remastered is GOG exclusive and up for pre-order. It releases in two weeks.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 13, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, Tim's video mentions nothing of "exclusive". The GOG news blurb only mentions in passing the following "preorder exclusively on GOG.com for the first week". I mean, I'm all for GOG to get an actual exclusive for more spotlight attention and this is even the right game to do it, but Double Fine would be insane to release the game there exclusively.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, Tim's video mentions nothing of "exclusive". The GOG news blurb only mentions in passing the following "preorder exclusively on GOG.com for the first week". I mean, I'm all for GOG to get an actual exclusive for more spotlight attention and this is even the right game to do it, but Double Fine would be insane to release the game there exclusively.
Their initial tweet said "PC exclusive on GOG!", but they've clarified in replies that pre-orders are exclusive and it'll be available elsewhere. My bad, yo.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Sweet, I never got to play the original Grim Fandango so this is a great opportunity (though I fear it'll drown in the backlog all the same).

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So other than paying right now for being able to play the game no sooner than everyone else who buys it when it releases, what exactly does preordering get you in this case?
(to be honest, I hate pre-order exclusive bonus stuff, but I wouldn't mind a small discount)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You better pre-order the game with zero incentives before they sell out of digital bytes or you'll have to wait another 16 years to legally buy it again.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
lol, still. I guess I'm gonna take the huge risk involved and buy it when it releases in a week.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I'll wait for an inevitable bundle or a steam sale + Russia combo. It's not like I haven't played it, just need a proper copy finally.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

AG3 posted:

Sweet, I never got to play the original Grim Fandango so this is a great opportunity (though I fear it'll drown in the backlog all the same).

No. You will put your backlog aside and set special time for Grim Fandango and you will like it :colbert:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, kinda weird to not even offer a 10% discount for preordering. Still tempting to have it immediately on the 27th, I've been meaning to replay it for a long while.

How does the new control scheme work?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, kinda weird to not even offer a 10% discount for preordering. Still tempting to have it immediately on the 27th, I've been meaning to replay it for a long while.

How does the new control scheme work?

Like this.

It also still has tank controls.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Some GOG users seem to be pissed that we are not getting the original version, but only the remastered one. To me it looks like exactly the same game as I remember it, with only minor improvements. I mean, I have yet to listen to the new orchestral soundtrack, but I doubt that it will be a downgrade quality-wise compared to the original one).

To be fair, maybe part of the rage was due to GOG renaming the existing community's wishlist entry for Grim Fandango to Grim Fandango HD Remastered, thus merging previous submitted votes with new ones for the remastered version (?). I still don't get it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
GF is a pain in the rear end to get to work on current computers, so GOG probably didn't want to be bothered to put a lot of resources into something that most people won't bother using anyway.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I'm like 90% sure they said you could switch between the old version and the new version like you could on the Monkey Island remakes. Not sure if that includes switching back to the original music or not.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

choobs posted:

I'm like 90% sure they said you could switch between the old version and the new version like you could on the Monkey Island remakes. Not sure if that includes switching back to the original music or not.

I'd prefer it if they kept the original engine intact, sort of like they did for the Monkey Island remakes, where they kind of built the remake on top of the original engine (with a few extensions). This is largely for personal reasons, as I would like to be able to easily port a fan made localization mod I worked on for the original game to the remastered version.

But I am almost certain that there won't be a button to switch back and forth between old and new version of the game, and if there were it would not be as meaningful as this was for the Monkey Island remakes.

As mentioned, the control scheme will be switchable, though.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Clouseau posted:

GF is a pain in the rear end to get to work on current computers, so GOG probably didn't want to be bothered to put a lot of resources into something that most people won't bother using anyway.

It actually isn't a pain anymore. Residual has been in a workable state for nearly 3 years now. When it says "completable with minor glitches" it means "completable, feature complete, but Glottis stares at the floor when he tries to talk to you but this is barely noticeable by anyone who isn't Tim Schafer because of the size of Glottis's head".

AbstractNapper posted:

I'd prefer it if they kept the original engine intact, sort of like they did for the Monkey Island remakes, where they kind of built the remake on top of the original engine (with a few extensions). This is largely for personal reasons, as I would like to be able to easily port a fan made localization mod I worked on for the original game to the remastered version.

But I am almost certain that there won't be a button to switch back and forth between old and new version of the game, and if there were it would not be as meaningful as this was for the Monkey Island remakes.

As mentioned, the control scheme will be switchable, though.

You can indeed switch to the old version. This basically just removes the new lighting effects and reverts the models to their old blocky state, though. I don't know how similar the engine is.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Nobody Interesting posted:

You can indeed switch to the old version.
Well then, now I am even more excited. This does bode well for the case that they kept the original engine and built the remaster around/ on top of it.
It's weird though that they don't mention this in the gog promo page. I would have put right there in the bullets list with the remastered features.

They only say this (which I mistook to refer only to being able to switch the controls):

quote:

Grim Fandango Remastered refreshes, refines, and remasters the award winning title and Tim Schafer's last hurrah as LucasArts' adventure-gaming-extraordinaire. The remaster modernizes the game's presentation and gameplay with completely repainted textures, widescreen support, and quite possibly best of all: modern controls. You can now say goodbye to unwieldy tank controls, a staple of the early 3D era, and enjoy a fully point-and-click interface - but only if you want! The option to play the game as originally envisioned is always there.

Btw, according to the forum thread (and the game page) they just confirmed that the game will have audio and text for Deutsch, English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

No soundtrack with Grim Fandango :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT4A-MSQgoI

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Fans stripped out the original soundtrack long ago. I got it off this site years ago: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/grim.htm

Lucas is aware of the site since they asked they take down all the Star Wars game soundtracks but since they didn't complain about any of the others, I assume it's kosher to post here.

It sure would be nice to have the new live orchestra version though....

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Good game I've heard critical acclaim for from everywhere...but give Tim money. Tough choice.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At that price point, I'm pretty happy about the news but will brave the depths of my CD-ROM collection and dig the sucker out if I want to play it again. This is especially given the post up a ways that says it's good to go with some fan package installed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Good game I've heard critical acclaim for from everywhere...but give Tim money. Tough choice.

It tells Tim to remaster his old games than make bad new ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Goodies aren't actually announced yet. The wallpaper is the only thing they have so far. Given how all the music has been re-recorded I think they'd be dumb not to release a soundtrack. It'll probably be there on release.