Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

Scarf posted:

Did you watch TCU play at all this year? They woodshedded just as many teams as Ohio State, and often more severely and had similar close-calls.

All of which, again, were teams that finished the season with 4+ losses.

quote:

Oh, and they didn't lose to Virginia Tech...

They also didn't beat Michigan State, Alabama, and Oregon. Nor did they shut out Wisconsin, who had a better record this season than any team TCU beat. They DID lose to Baylor, who would have gone to the playoff had Ohio State not been chosen instead.

Again, I'm saying TCU is not a bad team. They are a great team. It's entirely possible that they could have beaten Ohio State. But there is nothing on their resume that makes them a clearly better team than OSU. There's nothing leading people to believe that it would happen other than wanting to believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I think we can all agree that Michigan State should have been in the playoffs instead of Florida State

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm so glad all off season I can look forward to arguments that end with..."but don't forget they lost to Virginia Tech".

All the way up until Labor Day night of next season when they probably execute us on national TV like I thought would happen last time. If by magical chance we pull that one off, can we claim the title of Urban Kryptonite?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I think we can all agree that Michigan State should have been in the playoffs instead of Florida State
The winner of the playoff can play NDSU for the right to be the champion of Division I football. It's only right that we have one true champion.

every
Apr 24, 2008

sexy mouse posted:

I don't get why people mentioning the VT loss. The only thing the team that lost to VT and the one that played last night have in common are the uniforms.

And the players wearing them

And the coaching staff, name, and team

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mahoning posted:

Ohio State beat 3 teams that finished in the AP Top 5. TCU didn't beat a single team in the top 15.

Two of those teams were during the playoffs they should have gotten into in the first place.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
It's a good thing that TCU showed up in the inaugural college football playoffs to determine the answer to the question as to whether or not they would beat a team that ran roughshod through the teams in the playoffs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The REAL champion has a belt

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Its not surprising that you guys are convinced that TCU would beat Ohio State since you were also convinced they would get destroyed by Alabama and Oregon.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~

every posted:

And the players wearing them

And the coaching staff, name, and team

Players get better.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

sexy mouse posted:

I don't get why people mentioning the VT loss. The only thing the team that lost to VT and the one that played last night have in common are the uniforms.

I don't get how people can reconcile the idea that OSU is worse than TCU for losing to VT, with the idea TCU is better than Baylor after losing to Baylor.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rad Valtar posted:

Its not surprising that you guys are convinced that TCU would beat Ohio State since you were also convinced they would get destroyed by Alabama and Oregon.
We've gotta be right sometime.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

We've gotta be right sometime.

Except you cant be right on this because they wont play and Ohio State beat the top two teams to win the National Championship.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Clearly the real answer is that Virginia Tech is the greatest football team ever, but Frank Beamer just gets bored really easily and, like a serial killer, decides to find new and unique ways to gently caress with everyone.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Trick please.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Dattserberg posted:

Trick please.

It's true

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rad Valtar posted:

Except you cant be right on this because they wont play and Ohio State beat the top two teams to win the National Championship.
Right sorry I didn't check the schedule.

Virginia Tech will be the next team to destroy Ohio State.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
thats twice a Texas team has been screwed out of getting to humiliate Urbz in a title game

ohgod is this what Iowa State fans feel like

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Ohio State is scheduled for a home-and-home with TCU in 2018/19.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Apology accepted.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Xombie posted:

Ohio State is scheduled for a home-and-home with TCU in 2018/19.

by that time TCU will be crap and OSU will in their post-Meyer near death penalty phase ugh

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

This event predicated Ohio State eventually winning the national title (just last night even!!), so if that happens again next year than I'm coo wid it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Nah

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

go3 posted:

by that time TCU will be crap and OSU will in their post-Meyer near death penalty phase ugh
The God-King of Fort Worth will still sit upon his throne.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

The God-King of Fort Worth will still sit upon his throne.

Provided it doesn't break underneath him

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I'm casting my National Championship vote for the Michigan State Spartans, God's True Champions

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'm casting my National Championship vote for the Michigan State Spartans, God's True Champions

I could buy into that. It took some divine intervention to help State beat Baylor.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I honestly think that we're going to have the exact same season as this year, although who knows what will happen to Oregon assuming Mariota leaves.

EDIT: Our non-conference is entirely bowl teams, including both Famous Idaho Potato Bowl participants!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think its important to realize that if it weren't for the tattoo scandal, that this would likely be Ohio State's second championship in 3 years and Urban Meyer would have more national championships than Nick Saban.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

second

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My vote goes to Tim Tebow because Tim Tebow.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

go3 posted:

The REAL champion has a belt

Funny you say this:
http://collegefootballbelt.com/Seasons.htm

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The winner of the playoff can play NDSU for the right to be the champion of Division I football. It's only right that we have one true champion.

No need.

NDSU > Iowa State > Iowa > Pitt > Virginia Tech > Ohio State

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ohio State beat PAC-12 champ Oregon and SEC champ Alabama. TCU beat a 9-3 Ole Miss team and...Minnesota?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Kent State beat Akron
Akron beat Pitt
Pitt beat Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech beat Ohio State

looks good to me

every
Apr 24, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Ohio State beat PAC-12 champ Oregon and SEC champ Alabama. TCU beat a 9-3 Ole Miss team and...Minnesota?

That's silly to say because if tcu had gotten in, they would've had the opportunity to play Oregon and Alabama

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~

every posted:

That's silly to say because if tcu had gotten in, they would've had the opportunity to play Oregon and Alabama

It's not that silly, it's what actually happened. No one knows what would've happened in the other scenario.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If only there was some way that TCU could have had a chance to also play the SEC and Pac-12 champs...

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Div III Kalamazoo beat Hope 30 - 29
Div III Hope beat Augustana IL 37 - 27
Div III Augustana IL beat Loras 34 - 17
Div III Loras beat Simpson IA 27 - 24
Div III Simpson IA beat WI River Falls 22 - 6
Div III WI River Falls beat S Dakota Tech 43 - 28
Div II S Dakota Tech beat Wm Jewell 62 - 44
Div II Wm Jewell beat Missouri S&T 34 - 27
Div II Missouri S&T beat St Joseph's IN 14 - 13
Div II St Joseph's IN beat Valparaiso 31 - 10
Div I - FCS Valparaiso beat Butler 17 - 3
Div I - FCS Butler beat Stetson 49 - 41
Div I - FCS Stetson beat Marist 22 - 14
Div I - FCS Marist beat Jacksonville 17 - 16
Div I - FCS Jacksonville beat San Diego 35 - 18
Div I - FCS San Diego beat W New Mexico 23 - 17
Div II W New Mexico beat Ft Lewis 24 - 17
Div II Ft Lewis beat CSU-Pueblo 23 - 22
Div II CSU-Pueblo beat Sam Houston St 47 - 21
Div I - FCS Sam Houston St beat Villanova 34 - 31
Div I - FCS Villanova beat Liberty 29 - 22
Div I - FCS Liberty beat Appalachian St 55 - 48
Div I - FBS Appalachian St beat ULM 31 - 29
Div I - FBS ULM beat Wake Forest 17 - 10
Div I - FBS Wake Forest beat Virginia Tech 6 - 3
Div I - FBS Virginia Tech beat Ohio St 35 - 21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

every posted:

What's silly is that any previous year where a team beat #1 and #2 to end the season they'd be the least controversial national champion ever, but because a "lovely big 10 team" did it now people are crying that it doesn't count because they didn't also beat #6.

• Locked thread