Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Also I'm a little intimidated by PC gaming, but is it realistic to want to get portal 2 on PC and play split screen with wired Xbox controllers and download custom levels?

Vidaeus posted:

Cool, thanks. I have 2x Xbox 360 controllers, is it possible to connect both of these to a single USB wireless dongle to play things on PC, or do you need a dongle for each controller?

I should point out for both of you that split screen is not something Portal 2 on PC does by default.

It is very do-able, and there are actually guides out there on how to do it, but it definitely requires some finagling every time you want to play. If you're intimidated by PC in general, then doing so may be a bit of a hassle for you.

If you have 2 computers though, Portal 2 on PC is super easy and great and custom levels are super easy to download and very fun.

Also Portal 2 on PC has one of the dead simplest level editors ever made. Valve made it for kids, and it really is that easy. It reminds me of playing The Sims, you just kinda drag and drop objects and drag walls to make a level. Then you can pop into the level and play it, and then pop back out and modify it, until you're happy with it. Its crazy easy, so you really should check it out and try making some custom levels of your own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Somehow thought Kingdom of Loathing XIV was an MMO in IRC after skimming the thread OP and got all excited to start writing a bot; when as I get home and review the thread I am saddened to discover my reading comprehension sucks. Can anyone suggest a RPG/MMO/MUD that I can play bot in IRC?

Alternatively something similar to Puzzles and Dragons but not on a phone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chunjee posted:

Somehow thought Kingdom of Loathing XIV was an MMO in IRC after skimming the thread OP and got all excited to start writing a bot; when as I get home and review the thread I am saddened to discover my reading comprehension sucks. Can anyone suggest a RPG/MMO/MUD that I can play bot in IRC?

Man I haven't played MUDs in so long...

If you're just looking specifically for a bot coding challenge with a game environment, I really reccomend playing around with

https://codecombat.com/

Its more RTS than MMORPG but its pretty drat fun for flinging some AI code around.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Olaf The Stout posted:

She loved racing games but hasn't played in years. She liked the older need for speed games that allowed for tinkering on your car, but I don't really know racing games. What on the 360 fits the bill? We don't mind passing the controller back and forth, but co-op would be great :)

Car upgrades and tinkering is what Gran Turismo and Forza are all about. My husband and I would take turns doing the races, but I don't think there's a decent co-op in any of them. Burnout was definitely better for the pure "haha we just made everything explode" factor

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Can anyone name more games with power curves similar to Binding of Isaac, where you can either be pitifully weak or absurdly powerful and cover the screen in lasers and explosions?

I'm not looking for a game where I just ramp up in power, but some kind of roguelike or rogue-lite where I end up at a different power level with different abilities available to me each time I play (preferably not chosen by me, otherwise I will always pick the 'strongest' option). I want each playthrough to be feast or famine and when I'm feasting, I want it to be because I got a whole lot of dazzling powers that aren't normally available to me.

I've played a handful of Rogue-Lites and the only one I found that matches Isaac's ridiculous power fluctuation is Risk of Rain. I've been playing Teleglitch lately and really enjoying it, but you seem to always get the same items in the same place, eliminating the randomization of the power curve.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Funnypost Collabo posted:

Can anyone name more games with power curves similar to Binding of Isaac, where you can either be pitifully weak or absurdly powerful and cover the screen in lasers and explosions?

I'm not looking for a game where I just ramp up in power, but some kind of roguelike or rogue-lite where I end up at a different power level with different abilities available to me each time I play (preferably not chosen by me, otherwise I will always pick the 'strongest' option). I want each playthrough to be feast or famine and when I'm feasting, I want it to be because I got a whole lot of dazzling powers that aren't normally available to me.

I've played a handful of Rogue-Lites and the only one I found that matches Isaac's ridiculous power fluctuation is Risk of Rain. I've been playing Teleglitch lately and really enjoying it, but you seem to always get the same items in the same place, eliminating the randomization of the power curve.

I haven't played this but: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/12/the-last-best-of-2014-ziggurat/
"It’s the closest thing to a first-person Binding of Isaac I’ve ever played."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've played a little bit of Ziggurat and from what I can remember It didn't emulate the aspects of Isaac that I'm going for here: there were only a handful of weapons, none of them seemed absurdly powerful, you feel pretty much the same between one playthrough and the next.

I don't really understand the Isaac comparison; it's more of a straight-up arcade FPS with balanced weapons and dungeon-style arenas. If that's changed I'll check it out again but it still looks the same as when I played it.

e: That being said, I'm not necessarily looking for games that play similarly to Binding of Isaac, I'm just looking for games with wildly fluctuating levels of player power that I'm in limited control over in the same way BoI handled it. I'm looking for games where the way my character behaves changes drastically from playthrough to playthrough, or level to level or whatnot.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 13, 2015

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
FTL on Hard is that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think FTL is a good fit either. There are only a handful of weapon types (laser, bomb, missile, beam, laser that shoots more times, missile that shoots more times, etc) , the weapon types I have don't change the way I approach combat, there are no big changes in gameplay or the player unit's behavior between one game and the next. I like FTL but it doesn't scratch the itch I'm looking for in the same way that BoI or Risk of Rain do.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Alright, so, I want a game where it's almost 100% dependent on player skill and not just leveling up or grinding or something. A system where a beginning character could mop the floor with whatever else in the game if they knew what they were doing, while the game still remains balls our hard.

I don't want a shooter of any sort, and PvP in this type of system would be rad as hell. I doubt I'll find it though.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
One of my favorite things about Freedom Fighters was the feeling of being a group of guerrilla fighters taking on a larger, better equipped, and much better trained force. You really had to pick your battles in that game. Is there anything else like it? I'm open to any genre, but prefer shooters.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Galick posted:

Alright, so, I want a game where it's almost 100% dependent on player skill and not just leveling up or grinding or something. A system where a beginning character could mop the floor with whatever else in the game if they knew what they were doing, while the game still remains balls our hard.

I don't want a shooter of any sort, and PvP in this type of system would be rad as hell. I doubt I'll find it though.

I'm gonna go out on a limb, make a suggestion never before considered, but that's pretty much exactly the appeal of Dark Souls.

e: Like, I'm not entirely sure your post isn't a joke about it being recommended every page.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

e: Like, I'm not entirely sure your post isn't a joke about it being recommended every page.

I assumed it was, and I laughed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pengu! posted:

One of my favorite things about Freedom Fighters was the feeling of being a group of guerrilla fighters taking on a larger, better equipped, and much better trained force. You really had to pick your battles in that game. Is there anything else like it? I'm open to any genre, but prefer shooters.

Maybe something like STALKER, where you're playing an FPS but you're fighting for survival? Its really easy to die even in small firefights, you gotta keep your wits about you and be careful. The zone is not forgiving. Add in a mod like Misery and poo poo gets real. Nobody is really "well trained" though, its more fighting against teams of bandits and wild zombies.

Metro is kinda the same but more linear and on scripted wheels instead of being an open world RPG experience.

Farcry 3, Blood Dragon, and 4 all allow some pretty satisfying open world shooting, where its you and a group of ragtag islanders scientists natives trying to overthrow a pirate lord cyborg general foreign dictator by blowing up compounds and just generally shooting lots of dudes. They're not exactly "well trained", but they have alarms and they can call in reinforcements, and there's some nastier heavy troops too.

If you're open to any genre, maybe Dark Souls? Its a stretch, definitely not a shooter, but there is no other videogame on the planet that will make you feel as much like david going up against goliath. You will get your teeth knocked in repeatedly, and you will feel like you cannot win. Then you win. And then you feel like a loving badass. Seriously the feeling of triumph and self-growth is extremely palpable in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, if you can endure the occasional setbacks and losses. Its a game of knowing you're going to die, but knowing you're going to learn from that death and come back again and again until that fucker dies.

Galick posted:

As the others hinted, SL1 runs of Dark Souls are A Big Thing™ (Beating the game without ever leveling) so its like, the quintessential example of a skill based action-RPG.

Unreal_One posted:

It really is just SO good though. Everybody who hasn't played Dark Souls really must. Its just THAT good.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 13, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Someday I'll beat the Capra Demon and realize how good of a game it is.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I knew I should've said "not god drat Dark Souls".

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Galick posted:

Multiplayer Mount and Blade?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

Someday I'll beat the Capra Demon and realize how good of a game it is.

Capra is one of the flies in the ointment. Its way too hard for its place in the game, and its actually a pretty trivial fight if you can survive past the first 5 seconds. That it kills you almost instantly is pretty loving frustrating and turns off way too many players.

Are you on PC? I know you're probably joking, but I'd be happy to help you kick his face in. (Or just give you tips to do it yourself; Roll like a motherfucker for the stairs, you win) The rest of the game really is pretty loving awesome. And you've already beaten Taurus demon, so you're not hopeless. Capra really is a ballbreaker.

Galick posted:

Smite if you want something more action-based, League of Legends / Dota2 if you want something more RTS-like.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

No joke. I enjoyed the game but must've died to Capra Demon about 30 times or so before I just lost interest. It's still installed, but I haven't touched the game in about 3 months. Not sure when I'll pick it up again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is 3 Dark Souls recommendations in one page a new record or not.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

mycot posted:

Is 3 Dark Souls recommendations in one page a new record or not.

No but only 2 people bitching about it per page is a new low.

(Praise the sun)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Chinook posted:

No but only 2 people bitching about it per page is a new low.

(Praise the sun)

I think it's only one, since one comment is from the requester and I don't think they could respond any other way if they aren't looking for Dark Souls (assuming you're viewing not wanting Dark Souls recommendations as bitching).

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 14, 2015

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

mycot posted:

I think it's only one, since one comment is from the requester and I don't think they could respond any other way if they aren't looking for Dark Souls (assuming you're viewing not wanting Dark Souls recommendations as bitching).

An all time low!

Galick posted:

It's for older systems (Xbox), although I think they remade it for PS3/360, but Ninja Gaiden definitely has that vibe. I remember being impressed by how much better I got at the game, and what a different experience it was the second time through.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I need a game with a strong emphasis on exploration. The bigger the game world the better. Survival or immersion aspects a plus, good combat is an even bigger plus.

My ideal game is the size of Everquest, the graphics and immersion of Skyrim, and the combat of Dark Souls.

What options, if any, do I have?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chinook posted:

It's for older systems (Xbox), although I think they remade it for PS3/360, but Ninja Gaiden definitely has that vibe. I remember being impressed by how much better I got at the game, and what a different experience it was the second time through.

Good point; Ninja Gaiden Black and the entire Devil May Cry series are all pretty rewarding if you can get really really good at them.

DMC3 beats you pretty hard (well, before the pussy special edition) but when you get really really good at it, you can just dance around the game and do crazy poo poo.

khy posted:

I need a game with a strong emphasis on exploration. The bigger the game world the better. Survival or immersion aspects a plus, good combat is an even bigger plus.

My ideal game is the size of Everquest, the graphics and immersion of Skyrim, and the combat of Dark Souls.

Man I really want a Dark Souls MMO too but it just doesn't exist (yet).

Sadly your best bets are to play World of Warcraft, Skyrim, and Dark Souls 2 / Demon's souls respectively. No one game is going to scratch all that just right.

That said, other games in that vein... obviously the entire elder scrolls series, especially with mods.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is pretty cool, really cool magic use and pretty decent combat, and Arx Fatalis is also kinda the same, kinda Skyrim-y.

If you're willing to shoot guns, again STALKER is pretty great for open world survival.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 14, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Man I really want a Dark Souls MMO too but it just doesn't exist (yet).

Sadly your best bets are to play World of Warcraft, Skyrim, and Dark Souls 2 / Demon's souls respectively. No one game is going to scratch all that just right.

That said, other games in that vein... obviously the entire elder scrolls series, especially with mods.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is pretty cool, really cool magic use and pretty decent combat, and Arx Fatalis is also kinda the same, kinda Skyrim-y.

If you're willing to shoot guns, again STALKER is pretty great for open world survival.

I need a new STALKER game then, I already played all three to death and I know the exclusion zone like the back of my hand...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

khy posted:

Wait for Witcher 3?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Chunjee posted:

You might be interested in the Alter Aeon MUD. As far as I can tell, it's still active, and they allow botting. However, if their automatic detector can figure out that you're a bot, the game will punish your character by removing progress, so there's actual challenge in writing a bot that's useful. Check out the specifics here to see if this is your cup of tea: http://www.alteraeon.com/articles/bots_and_botting.html

Like most MUDs, it uses Telnet, not IRC. The difference from a bot building perspective isn't big, though, and a bunch of mud specific clients (zMUD, TinyFugue) come with trappings for creating automation, making the whole thing simple to get into.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

khy posted:

I need a new STALKER game then, I already played all three to death and I know the exclusion zone like the back of my hand...
I've heard of this thing called Lost Alpha, which is supposedly pretty much a brand new STALKER game and totally free. Maybe you want to look into it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

khy posted:

Farcry 1, 2, 3, Blood Dragon and 4 are all pretty solid, big open world. Not exactly STALKER, not as much survival. But it is you against an entire big force with lots of options to run around. If you want the most STALKER of the series, it'll be 2. 2 is pretty hardcore, may actually feel kinda STALKER or Dark Souls to a tiny degree? 3-blooddragon-4 are more just happy shooty bang bang good times, but they are super fun.

Don't forget about all the STALKER mods :)

Subjunctive posted:

Wait for Witcher 3?

That's a good point, Witcher 3 is almost out and looks insaaaane. The world is going to be gigantic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If you can put up with a bit of euro jankiness (phone autocorrected that to "manliness" and it was right) the first two Gothics and the first Risen are really tough in a Soulsy way in a pretty big open world

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Chunjee posted:

We actually have a MUD thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647005&pagenumber=1

Feel free to hop on over, a few of us play MUDs intermittently.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh, and Dragon's Dogma is a pretty cool mix of like Dark Souls and Skyrim, although its not quite as good at either as those games are, it does some good things on its own.

Its like Xbox 360 only though :smith:

Lords of the Fallen is a good way to scratch the Dark Souls itch, but its not quite as good. Some people call it Clunky Souls too because its a little slower, but that's not entirely accurate. I would wait to buy it on sale, but if you can get it cheap its actually a ton of fun. Strictly Dark Souls clone though, not very Everquest or Skyrim.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, and Dragon's Dogma is a pretty cool mix of like Dark Souls and Skyrim, although its not quite as good at either as those games are, it does some good things on its own.

Its like Xbox 360 only though :smith:

Actually, Dragon's Dogma IS also on PS3, but it is limited to the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles. No PC's allowed. :smith:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Pengu! posted:

Actually, Dragon's Dogma IS also on PS3, but it is limited to the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles. No PC's allowed. :smith:

Thank you Capcom for hating money so much and having no idea how much of a straight up goldmine DD PC would have been. :mad:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What are some good old school style RPGs for PC? I'm looking for more Planescape: Torment style than Fallout in terms of theme.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Capsaicin posted:

What are some good old school style RPGs for PC? I'm looking for more Planescape: Torment style than Fallout in terms of theme.

You can save a lot of time right now if you tell us what you've already played first.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Chomp8645 posted:

You can save a lot of time right now if you tell us what you've already played first.

Literally about the first 3 hours of Planescape. I got to a point where a wall gave birth to something and then I got sidetracked by a bunch of other stuff. I finally got a PC that can reliably play games, so I'm looking at getting into anything I can that's mostly PC exclusive.

Also looking for games like Snatcher.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Capsaicin posted:

Literally about the first 3 hours of Planescape. I got to a point where a wall gave birth to something and then I got sidetracked by a bunch of other stuff. I finally got a PC that can reliably play games, so I'm looking at getting into anything I can that's mostly PC exclusive.

Ok, well then Baldur's Gate would be the obvious recommendation if you want an old school PC RPG. There are even "Enhanced Editions" made recently that smooth the experience a bit for people picking it up today. It's beloved by essentially everyone and controls/play similarly to Planescape except has a much greater focus on combat (and the combat is good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Capsaicin posted:

Also looking for games like Snatcher.

Did you try Policenauts? It's Japanese but I think there's a translated one floating aroud. As a matter of fact I think a goon chipped in on translating it. Not too sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policenauts