Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cherry picking statistics is fun.

If the flood gates were still open now as they were a couple of years ago where would we be in terms of on-shore costs based on the trends before the ALP recognised impending fiscal and political disaster and brought back off-shore detention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Graic Gabtar posted:

If the flood gates were still open now as they were a couple of years ago where would we be in terms of on-shore costs based on the trends before the ALP recognised impending fiscal and political disaster and brought back off-shore detention?

quote:

In contrast, it is around $40,000 for an asylum seeker to live in the community on a bridging visa while their claim is processed.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Negligent posted:

the minister for immigration is an elected official accountable to the parliament and the public.

labor and liberal ministers kept him in detention, quite justifiably I should think given the risk to the community.

There's really nothing to do but ask you to send letters to your local MP if you think your personal feelings of outrage should trump the correct execution of the law. Hint: they don't, but at least you can lobby the MP to change the law to suit your feelings.

Negligent posted:

how much is the life of the mother and unborn baby worth??

Approx 7 years according to the judge, he's paid 14. I personally don't agree but whatever I don't know the circumstances.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
how much does it cost when an asylum seeker in the community brutally bashes a woman to death?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
you seem to be labouring under the impression that all asylum seekers carry a dominant murder gene, which is actually false!

I think he is a bad man who did a bad thing, and that also if we start cherry picking whether or not we acknowledge our human rights abuses things will get even loving worse somehow.

you made a statement in derision and then I produced evidence confirming it and you got mad, I was not in fact suggesting that it was totally cool and good that he was a murderer

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

I mean it's not like an asylum seeker has ever killed someone while on a bridging visa oh wait yes they have

but hey it's 10x cheaper

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I agree, deport anyone convicted of domestic violence

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They were all men

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Negligent posted:

how much is the life of the mother and unborn baby worth??

Stop wielding your "concern" for women as a crude cudgel to bash asylum seekers with you disingenuous poo poo.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
53-47 to ALP in Ashgrove. The gap is narrowing via Channel 7.

Inner City Leftist
Jun 5, 2011
They all had hands. Better deport and torture anyone with hands!

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Seagull posted:

More stats.

I would say based on that we are getting a pretty good deal.

$400k x 2,000 is a bargain compared to 40K x 200,000 once you factor in health care, education, dole for life, terrorist threats etc.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
http://mensrightssydney.com/next-meeting/

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

Stop wielding your "concern" for women as a crude cudgel to bash asylum seekers with you disingenuous poo poo.

I'm concerned for all potential victims of violence be they women or otherwise

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Negligent posted:

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/...2-1227184471294

So the human rights commissioner wants a dude who came here to seek asylum to be paid $350,000 compensation for being held in detention

Do you have a problem with the government compensating people who it has wronged?

Negligent posted:

Except the dude is a piece of poo poo who beat his pregnant wife to death, assaults people and is a danger to women

Seems like that is a separate issue and if the government wants to lock him up for that then they should do so within the process of law, or do you have a problem with rule of law too?

Negligent posted:

'oh people who are so desperate they paddle here in a canoe are the kind of people we want'

'refugees arent likely to be violent'
:allears:

That is a generalized statement, one individual case is not an argument against it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I agree, deport anyone convicted of domestic violence

QM droppin' truth bombs.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Negligent posted:

whats that got to do with a convicted killer who bashed a 28 year old pregnant woman to death being released into the Australian community with $350,000 of public money as compensation for his breached human rights

Nothing. I just want to know what you think about it. What do you think about it?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Negligent posted:

I'm concerned for all potential victims of violence be they women or otherwise

Oh no you're not. You draw a strict line between 'them' and 'us', you give no poo poo about asylum seekers facing violence in our offshore detention sites including Reza Berati who was brutally murdered while in our government's care. How much was his life worth?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Do you have a problem with the government compensating people who it has wronged?

Seems like that is a separate issue and if the government wants to lock him up for that then they should do so within the process of law, or do you have a problem with rule of law too?

1. no wrong has been committed. preventative detention for the purpose of protecting the community is legit. alp/lnp immigration ministers since 2007 agree which is why they kept him there.

2. see point 1, the minister had the power to do it legally. and it was morally right as well considering the guy's history

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Negligent has chosen the hill of "it's morally right to keep all asylum seekers detained on a seperate island away from everyone" to die on, and people continue to oblige him.

This argument has been ongoing in various forms (legal vs lawful) for at least 12 months, if not more.

At this stage, after this much discussion, if you're not agreeing, you're never going to.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol

Negligent posted:

alp/lnp immigration ministers since 2007 agree which is why they kept him there.

Its not a crime if the President does it?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Graic Gabtar posted:

$400k x 2,000 is a bargain compared to 40K x 200,000 once you factor in health care, education, dole for life, terrorist threats etc.

hmm yes interesting point however that's false sorry

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

tithin posted:

Negligent has chosen the hill of "it's morally right to keep all asylum seekers detained on a seperate island away from everyone" to die on, and people continue to oblige him.

not really, asylum seekers should have their claims assessed as quickly and justly as possible but it is fact that within the group of unauthorised boat arrivals there are people who pose a threat to the Australian community. if that means some innocent , genuine refugees have to be detained and segregated from the community while their bona fides are verified then that is a better compromise than people becoming victims of violence or killed.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

freebooter posted:

Anecdotal: I had a friend who spent the summer picking cherries in in Tasmania. I've forgotten it now, but I added up the sums at the time and realised that towards the end of it (when he got good at it; you're paid by the bucket) he was earning more money than I was in my office job in Melbourne. And he got free food and board. (OK it was a tent he had, but whatever.) It was hard labour, sure, but they worked from 7 to 3 and then spent the rest of the day swimming in the river, drinking beer and smoking weed. And I was starting to get office cabin fever at the time and the thought of just being out in the sun in nature listening to my ipod all day sounded pretty good compared to staring at a computer monitor.

I was actually going to go down the next summer before I went to Europe, but he went first again and then warned me off because the farm got bought out and the new owners were dicks and life wasn't as sweet anymore. Late capitalism :australia:

Graic Gabtar posted:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Seagull posted:

hmm yes interesting point however that's false sorry
I don't think so. We made it to 50k onshore in no time.

You can't throw out the OMG 400K number without acknowledging to cost savings from having off shore detention as a deterrent.

All pointless arguing though as until advocacy parasites start putting as much energy into battling causes of mass immigration as opposed to shrill tanties directed to the government that happens to be the last link in a people smuggling chain people are either going to allowed in or not based on opinion polls not need.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Nuclear Spy posted:

** A rather clever juxtaposition. **

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Most Unbiased front page, Courier Mail. Thanks for the AUTOPLAYING video.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Negligent please answer my question.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Graic Gabtar posted:

You work in IT, don't you?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not sure if I should contact ASIO about this or what, but seems like a dire warning from SMH:

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Negligent posted:

1. no wrong has been committed. preventative detention for the purpose of protecting the community is legit. alp/lnp immigration ministers since 2007 agree which is why they kept him there.

2. see point 1, the minister had the power to do it legally. and it was morally right as well considering the guy's history

Would you agree with holding a citizen after the expiration of their sentence?

I agree 7 years is too short for manslaughter. Causing a death in a domestic violence situation should be a much longer sentence. but it wasn't.

It is in no way morally right. arbitrary detention is a crime against humanity. if the minister has the power to hold people legally without any trial, what is to stop them holding me?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
It's only a crime against humanity if you think of the victims as human beings.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
#Morgan Poll Preferred L/NP Leader: Abbott 14 (-5) Turnbull 36 (-2) Bishop 26 (+10) Hockey 4 (-2) #auspol
#Morgan Poll Preferred L/NP Leader (L/NP voters): Abbott 30 (-11) Bishop 28 (+11) Turnbull 26 (+2) #auspol

So, even within Libs Abbott is loving unpopular, Asbestos Julie is right behind him.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Turnbull still leading the pack, running at the speed of copper!

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Graic Gabtar posted:

You can't throw out the OMG 400K number without acknowledging to cost savings from having off shore detention as a deterrent.

You can, actually, since there are no cost savings from offshore detention, since it doesn't act as a deterrent. The only reason there aren't more people ending up in Manus and Nauru is because we are literally committing piracy by intercepting boats and towing them back for the people on board to be murdered.

Also you know two of the major causes of mass immigration are the war in the Middle East and climate change, right? Hmm, if only there were a political party who opposed and actively worked against both of those things...

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Negligent posted:

the minister for immigration is an elected official accountable to the parliament and the public.

labor and liberal ministers kept him in detention, quite justifiably I should think given the risk to the community.

I know someone else already said this is a round about way, but... really?

Separation of powers dude. Judicial branch sentences people to be detained, at no point should a bumpkin elected by a nation of idiots have that power.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Negligent posted:

Elected officials are a US thing. We have MPs, who represent geographical regions. (Unless I missed the bit of the constitution where Scott Morrison's electorate are the only people in the country who decide who the immigration minister is)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

whatever you want to call it the member of parliament who holds the office of immigration minister is held accountable through the system of responsible government

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsible_government

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
hahahaha that's cute that you think that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

KennyTheFish posted:

Would you agree with holding a citizen after the expiration of their sentence?

this happens in Qld, NSW and WA in the context of dangerous sexual offenders.

these laws are designed to keep people like Robert Fardon from raping anyone else

• Locked thread