Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

swickles posted:

scouts will want to see if he can fit a ball into a tight window, throw the out route reliably, etc.

He cannot, he also can't throw accurately on the move. Honestly think Bryan Bennett is a better prospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Chip Kelly on ESPN RE: Marcus Mariota: "He might be the fastest guy on the field. But his mind is even faster...thinks like Peyton Manning"

Even if it where true, never believe anything a former coach says about a player. Actually never believe anything in the media, especially ESPN says about anyone.

only draft oline, dline, qb top 5 and pray

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

This draft is going to be fun to watch if for no other reason than you are going to have some serious Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers action going. One of Winston/Mariota is going 1st overall, the other one might be the last guy left in the green room.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

wheez the roux posted:

Halliday going to pull a Tom Brady and in 10 years we'll be looking back on how many teams totally whiffed on him for big name busts. Book it.

This is what will happen. The 6,000 yards in a regular season barrier will fall.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Simplex posted:

This draft is going to be fun to watch if for no other reason than you are going to have some serious Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers action going. One of Winston/Mariota is going 1st overall, the other one might be the last guy left in the green room.

They keep inviting increasingly unrealistic guys to the green room though.

I was about to say Hundley could be there but hell, he might go before either of the current top QBs at this point with how much things change and how flawed everyone is.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 13, 2015

Butthead
May 31, 2011

warheadr posted:

Cedric Ogbuehi tore his ACL in the bowl game. Sucks for him, obviously was projected as a very high pick

After googling him, it looks like the sticking point in him staying in college this year was A&M paying for an insurance policy that covers him in case he gets an injury that causes him to get drafted lower than projected. So while it sucks to get hurt, it's not as bad as it could be.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Simplex posted:

I don't know. I'd rather roll with Glennon than pass up on some of that d-line talent for a big risk.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Volkerball posted:

I don't know. I'd rather roll with Glennon than pass up on some of that d-line talent for a big risk.

I guess the question is, Glennon more likely to pan out as a pro QB than Winston or Mariota?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mariota was missing some pro-style passes last game. Specifically in the redzone. It seems like the Oregon coaches didn't trust him down there, like for instance the 4th down conversion on Ohio State's 4 yard line early in the 2nd quarter.

I dunno, he still looks like he could start in the NFL. I don't think Winston or Mariota are Luck quality prospects but they could both totally do well in the NFL. I'm definitely more of a fan of Winston though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

sean10mm posted:

I guess the question is, Glennon more likely to pan out as a pro QB than Winston or Mariota?

I'm a crazy person who really likes Glennon so I hope so. I hope the Bucs draft O-line and depth players and see what Glennon can do when he's not being murdered every play.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pillsburysoldier posted:

FSU DT Eddie Goldman's parents reeeeeaaaaallllly want him to stay and finish his degree. He's the last straggler in declaring whether or not he'll stay among the NFL-ready underclassmen for FSU

He declared. Good bye, you prince.

I would walk cross paths with him his freshman year. His ankles were as big as my head. It was beautiful.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

pillsburysoldier posted:

He declared. Good bye, you prince.

I would walk cross paths with him his freshman year. His ankles were as big as my head. It was beautiful.

Calling Rex

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm a crazy person who really likes Glennon so I hope so. I hope the Bucs draft O-line and depth players and see what Glennon can do when he's not being murdered every play.

Glennon has always been garbage and always will be.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I think glennon has a long way to go but I think he could develop into a hell of a QB. he's smart and has enough of a cannon to make it work.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Simplex posted:

Not a chance this happens. Winston is going to go to the Buccs and Mariota won't make it past the Eagles.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chilichimp posted:

Not a chance this happens. Winston is going to go to the Buccs and Mariota won't make it past the Eagles.

What if chip is insane and gives three firsts for Mariota

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

What if chip is insane and gives three firsts for Mariota

:circlefap:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Blah.

@NDFootball
Ronnie Stanley will remain at Notre Dame for his senior year & not enter the 2015 NFL Draft.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

No the question is do you want to overdraft a rookie QB in a year where you don't have the talent to be competitive anyways, or do you want to pick up the best player in the draft, and see what position you're in next offseason? If they can't trade down, I wouldn't even think of going QB. They are not in position to take a QB this year.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Ozu posted:

Blah.

@NDFootball
Ronnie Stanley will remain at Notre Dame for his senior year & not enter the 2015 NFL Draft.

He was one of the guys I was wanting for KC if we don't got corner. Collins is now basically the best fit left for KC imo

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Can the Chiefs consider anything other than WR in the first round?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, a trade for more picks.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Chiefs took a pass rusher last year after pretty ridiculous years (until they got hurt) out of Hali and Houston, they could do anything.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

No the question is do you want to overdraft a rookie QB in a year where you don't have the talent to be competitive anyways, or do you want to pick up the best player in the draft, and see what position you're in next offseason? If they can't trade down, I wouldn't even think of going QB. They are not in position to take a QB this year.

This is exactly what people were saying about the Falcons before drafting Matt Ryan. Like half the people wanted them to take an OT or some poo poo instead because the team was so bad it would kill any noob QB and Matt Ryan was overrated anyway.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sean10mm posted:

This is exactly what people were saying about the Falcons before drafting Matt Ryan. Like half the people wanted them to take an OT or some poo poo instead because the team was so bad it would kill any noob QB and Matt Ryan was overrated anyway.

This is TFF. That opinion likely still exists.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

By the way I'm not super enthused about this year's QBs or anything, but in general no team should pass on a QB they actually think will be good if they need one. Actually good QB prospects are too rare to pass up for more easily filled positions.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

wandler20 posted:

Glennon has always been garbage and always will be.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322800152

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
My problem with building the rest of the team philosophy these days is that those guys are busting too. Pretty devastating to pick a tackle like Kalil and see the season he just put up. Or hell look at Clowneys season. Sure these guys can certainly turn it around but it's no guarantee.

Now that rookie QBs no longer get outrageous contracts, I would pick a fricken QB high every year until I hit one. Also GMs get less and less time to build a team and if you can't find a QB sooner than later you are hosed.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

sean10mm posted:

By the way I'm not super enthused about this year's QBs or anything, but in general no team should pass on a QB they actually think will be good if they need one. Actually good QB prospects are too rare to pass up for more easily filled positions.

I know you said "in general" but the Vikings drafted Christian Ponder so gently caress that noise.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WHOOPS posted:

I know you said "in general" but the Vikings drafted Christian Ponder so gently caress that noise.

sean10mm posted:

Actually good QB prospects

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
You need to be right is all, duh. Have any front offices drafted a terrible quarterback early and survived long enough to cut him recently? The Bucs might be giving up on Glennon (which I think they should) pretty quickly, but it's a whole new regime there.

Maybe the Jets, or did they fire their GM before drafting their second bad one in Geno?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Rick Spielman with the aforementioned Ponder pick.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
For some reason I thought he was named GM the year after Ponder. Good for him in that case, even if he stuck with Ponder a year too long. Or drafted him in the first place I suppose.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

The Puppy Bowl posted:

There are a lot of different scenarios that make sense at 18, but really it boils down to WR, OL, ILB basically in that order. Anything else would likely be a luxury pick based on the board falling a certain way. Dorsey is definitely board based and all about selecting the BPA, so it could be anyone.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Technically, yes, he was given the GM title in 2012 but that's only because of a dumb "triangle of authority" thing carried over from when Childress was hired. Spielman didn't report to anyone other than the Wilf's and was the point person for the draft and free agency. The Ponder pick was very much his decision. He probably only survived it because Peterson dragged the team to the playoffs in 2012 and his first round picks in the following years have, at least at some point, all looked like solid picks.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WHOOPS posted:

Technically, yes, he was given the GM title in 2012 but that's only because of a dumb "triangle of authority" thing carried over from when Childress was hired. Spielman didn't report to anyone other than the Wilf's and was the point person for the draft and free agency. The Ponder pick was very much his decision. He probably only survived it because Peterson dragged the team to the playoffs in 2012 and his first round picks in the following years have, at least at some point, all looked like solid picks.

He's done a good job since the Ponder draft, which was a bad draft all around and Fusco and Rudolph were the only good picks. He's been a lot more willing to play the draft. He's traded from the 2nd back into the 1st the past three season, he's made a couple trades with Cleveland where he'd drop 1 spot and get extra picks, and he's actually done well in the late rounds recently. Hopefully, he can have another good draft this year and I expect him to be active with trades again.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Why drop a first on something you won't use? We'll get a late rounder and some UDFAs to replace Bowe.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ponder really wasn't that bad of a pick at the time. He fit all the stereotypes that this thread hates in prospect QBs so goons were generally just ripping the guy apart in the evaluation process. I could definitely see why he would be a first round selection in most drafts, especially to QB hungry teams that have a good ground game. He just didn't pan out like a lot of players in the first round.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Doltos posted:

Ponder really wasn't that bad of a pick at the time. He fit all the stereotypes that this thread hates in prospect QBs so goons were generally just ripping the guy apart in the evaluation process. I could definitely see why he would be a first round selection in most drafts, especially to QB hungry teams that have a good ground game. He just didn't pan out like a lot of players in the first round.

Not trying to be a wise rear end (now) but what do you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sean10mm posted:

Not trying to be a wise rear end (now) but what do you mean?

The positive traits for Ponder would be that he is intelligent, hardworking, a good person with no real off the field concerns, a good athlete, can run for yards when needed, and was viewed as a game manager who could take care of the football. It became evident that his intelligence didn't transfer over to the football field, he tended to run with his head down after going through one or two reads, he'd stare down receivers, and he didn't have the velocity to make the throws he needed. He was not a player that I wanted to draft and while I tried to give him a fair shot, he just isn't a good QB. I'm sure he'll have a long career as a backup, but I won't miss him.

• Locked thread