Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does Syfy have another reality show coming up after Faceoff finishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smackfu posted:

Does Syfy have another reality show coming up after Faceoff finishes?
They sounded pretty keen on a second series of Jim Henson’s Creature Shop Challenge earlier in the year but there's been no news for months and months. Looks like Foxy & Co never made it past the pilot stage.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I didn't like Foxy & Co... too much staged bullshit. No one wants to take a chance on an honest reality show that's just awesome people making monsters and special effects. With Foxy & Co. and Monster Man they had to keep introducing all this crap that was obviously scripted by producers.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

LabyaMynora posted:

I didn't like Foxy & Co... too much staged bullshit. No one wants to take a chance on an honest reality show that's just awesome people making monsters and special effects. With Foxy & Co. and Monster Man they had to keep introducing all this crap that was obviously scripted by producers.

Modern American cable TV is such loving garbage and I can't wait for the whole thing to crash. Hillbillies! Ghosts! Amish! Pawnshops! Fishing! TLC? A&E? Sci-Fi (SyFy)? Discovery? I really liked Fox but I didn't have high hopes for them to make something remotely watchable. I'm assuming Face Off is going to start integrating Twitter more in the next season.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I think Cig tanked this one. I actually like Drew's makeup. Cake Boss just killed it. I hope she wins.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its really not that close is it? Cake Boss all the way

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Yay Cake Boss Dina. She won she deserves been called her real name

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yay Dina! Was always hoping, but to my eyes it could have gone multiple ways (even if Cig's life knight wasn't very well explained, that death knight was a-mah-zing.) I did love how she incorporated the squids, and extra points for that mouth. All three of them did great work, and of course in the final round it's also everything they did prior, etc.

This was a really good season. Lots of fun people and minimal bullshit.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, Dina killed it. Cig tanked bad on his good guy. Drew was really good as well, but I think Dina's body of work this season put her over the top fairly easily.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is legit my favorite reality show now and of all the creative competition ones it has the best judging/editing of said judging. I never have any "wait, THAT wins?" Moments like on PR.

Agreed. I'm so sad the season has to be over. There is something abut the cooperation and decency of the contestants and judges that is really uplifting.. nobody badmouthing or with that whole "I'm not here to make friends" quasi-combative bullshit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
YAY DINA! :dance:

I was rooting for Cig but his concept just didn't come through in the final pieces. Drew pulled out some great work but Dina totally nailed it.

And we only have to wait a few months until the next season starts in January!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think this was some of the weakest work Cig has done, i was cheering for him but Dina deserved the win.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Dina deserved the win, but all the work was superb. Cig and Drew shouldn't have any trouble getting work after this. Also I love the non-backstabbing-ness of this series. All the best participants want to make cool make-ups and see cool make-ups, so the least petty ones are the ones who do the best.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Been cheering for Dina since the first episode, she rocks. She had one bad week that I can remember, and even it (the reindeer) wasn't god-awful. It was nice seeing previous winners for the teams rather than just another contestant from the season.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr Zaius posted:

It was nice seeing previous winners for the teams rather than just another contestant from the season.

It's a good thing that went over well because we'll be seeing quite a bit more of that kind of thing very soon ...

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
Can't argue with that outcome. Dina 100% deserved the win. Cig's death knight was my favorite makeup from the finale by a fairly wide margin, he just totally blew it on the life knight. Rashaad's armor for the death knight was so rad.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yep, quite pleased with the results. The top three were solid contenders. The winner had a great final makeup and the body of work she had in the season justified the win easily. I went back and looked at the standout looks from this season and I think Dina gave most of them. Dina killed anytime beauty makeup was applicable and delivered solid work every other time. I'm still blow away at how good her severed fish head was when it could have been a low-effort throwaway touch.

Also agree that it was great seeing the returners and the excellent cooperation among everyone. No egos, just good ambassadors for their art.

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

Vicodiva posted:

Agreed. I'm so sad the season has to be over. There is something abut the cooperation and decency of the contestants and judges that is really uplifting.. nobody badmouthing or with that whole "I'm not here to make friends" quasi-combative bullshit.
This is exactly why Face Off is pretty much the only competition show I watch. Most of them seem like good people you wouldn't mind having a drink with and the ones that don't are usually gone by mid-season.

I agree Cigs life knight was bad. Especially compared to his death knight, which was my favorite of the finale. Dina definitely deserved the win.

Can't wait for next season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dina totally deserved the win, but I hated how she completely lifted the seashell shoulders on her Light Knight from the face mask of her Aphrodite right down the paint scheme. I was really hoping the judges would call her out on that but meh, whatever.

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I thought Drew had the most cohesive pair of characters, but Dina's death knight was obviously the best thing on stage. Cig kind of whiffed it by going with a simple human makeup for his life knight.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Yeah. All I could see was Viggo the Carpathian.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I like how "Blue is the New Red" became so much more true when Nicole showed up with her long blue hair. I also loved when Sasha got on to stage and gave Dina a big hug and swung her around :3:.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Good finale. I'm really impressed all the makeups survived that stage fighting, I'm always afraid someone's creation is going to get torn up.

Just like everbody else said, Cig's dark knight was baller but is light knight was weak, Drew's design was ok but didn't really stand out, and Cake Boss was way ahead. Even used her Cake Boss skillz in the design! Drew was pretty classy in losing, and he should feel good because all the finale designs were solid.

I appreciated that they were helping each other clean out the molds even in the finale. Face Off: the reality show where you come to make friends? Also, nice to see Rashad again. How long until Face Off All Stars?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Cig (concepts & overall), Rashaad (sculpting), and Sasha (painting) should've been unstoppable but it just didn't come together at all. Cig and Dina were the most consistent overall so at least one of them won.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

Good finale. I'm really impressed all the makeups survived that stage fighting, I'm always afraid someone's creation is going to get torn up.

I have zero proof of this but between the team-building and the (usual) extra day to make the drat things, I'm pretty sure the producers go out of their way to ensure that nothing goes wrong with the costumes before they perform. If I had any I'd bet a small bit of money that after Last Looks on every finale the costumes have to go through a "final prep" and "stress test" to ensure that all the makeups are really stuck on there good and ready to perform. Like I don't think they go so far as to rig the probable outcome of the contest (unless they were rigging it beforehand, but I doubt that beyond some broad strokes), but they do make sure that there aren't any hastily glued-on prosthetics or loose-fitting costumes that wouldn't survive a tumble.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Factor Mystic posted:

How long until Face Off All Stars?

That starts on January 13 with Laura, Anthony and Rayce.

They won't actually be competing, they'll be closely mentoring the new competitors.

mind the walrus posted:

I have zero proof of this but between the team-building and the (usual) extra day to make the drat things, I'm pretty sure the producers go out of their way to ensure that nothing goes wrong with the costumes before they perform.

I've also noticed that the production staff run the latex molds overnight and remove the for the competitors now rather than having the competitors do all that themselves.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CeeCee posted:

This is exactly why Face Off is pretty much the only competition show I watch. Most of them seem like good people you wouldn't mind having a drink with and the ones that don't are usually gone by mid-season.

I agree Cigs life knight was bad. Especially compared to his death knight, which was my favorite of the finale. Dina definitely deserved the win.

Can't wait for next season.

Can't agree more.

I hate reality shows and competition shows, but have watched every season of Face/Off. The fact they stopped trying to shoehorn in drama after season 2 or so (and even then it was mild) is a huge draw. I want to watch creative people make cool things, the end.

I honestly believe the few instances of drama they DID have they underplayed - like that one girl walking off the show the 2 episodes before the finale, instead of just going out in a highly respectable 4th place; or that one nutter that freaked out and stormed off after making a huge pile of poo poo on the first episode. They didn't even milk that stuff, and I think both of those things were really kind of unplanned hiccups, too.

It also helps it feels like it always gets judged on actual merit and not a popularity contest.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also there was that one guy who was a bit of a douchebag in an early season and they let him come back and redeem himself in a veterans vs newbies season and he turned out to be a nice guy.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've also noticed that the production staff run the latex molds overnight and remove the for the competitors now rather than having the competitors do all that themselves.
They have done that since season one as far as I know (Eric Fox mentioned it when I visited him at his workshop last year). Baking foam latex is hazardous (the fumes are toxic) and it takes several hours, so technicians from the production team do it over night. It's the exactly same routine as in the Jim Henson's show. Which reminds me that I need to build a foam latex oven soon for my own workshop. Fun times ahead! :)

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

On the Creature Workshop the contestants didn't even have to make a mold, it was all done for them. Which is fine, they were working with insane time limits for what they had to do.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It makes sense, because the Creature Shop contestants have to do more general work overall.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I would love it if production made the molds for Face Off. I know they get a lot of drama out of lovely molds locking, but good God. I make molds myself and the seams on some of these cowls makes me so sad.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
New season starts tonight!

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Is there a new thread or are we just using this one?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ariza posted:

New season starts tonight!

gently caress YES

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo I completely forgot.

Judges, mentors + new contestants here

Looks like Ve has taken her regular judging position back from Lois.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 14, 2015

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot.

Judges, mentors + new contestants here

Looks like Ve has taken her regular judging position back from Lois.

I hope they have another Judge episode. That was fun.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It was a pretty decent episode, there's a good mix of the young and the middle aged like they do and I always love seeing Laura. I liked seeing a more open Mr. Westmore (though they may have just decided to edit it differently this season) as well. The team thing could end up being interesting, but does that mean all of the challenges will be teams this year or will we see individual challenges? That seems like it might get catty with people feeling their captains are helping their team mates more and such. I'm not a fan of splitting the episodes though and I hope that's not going to continue.

I know 99% of people don't give a poo poo at all, but I really wish they'd leave the primates out of this because I know there's going to be some people using the wrong words next episode. Lemurs aren't simians. :(

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Wait there was an episode last Tuesday and one tonight too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KungFu Grip posted:

Wait there was an episode last Tuesday and one tonight too?

Monday must have been a repeat, the season started last Tuesday and ep 2 is tonight

• Locked thread