Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CobiWann posted:

What's Monster Hunter? Is it a new version of Duck Hunt?

If you play a bowgun that's pretty much dead on, actually

Only instead of having a dog that mocks you you get to play dressup with cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

What's Monster Hunter? Is it a new version of Duck Hunt?

Please don't malign the good name of Duck Hunt and its excellent Smash Brothers team in this manner, CobiWann.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Please don't malign the good name of Duck Hunt and its excellent Smash Brothers team in this manner, CobiWann.

Ok, but I honestly have no clue what Monster Hunter is. The last console game I bought was The Last of Us and before that Dead Space 3, and we all know how THAT turned out.

(I refuse to count the countless LEGO movie games that have adorned my shelves since my stepdaughter moved in)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's (I think) the original kill monsters and make weapons out of them to kill bigger monsters game. It's usually pretty fun if nerve-wracking at times. Also very grindy although that might have changed since the ones I played.

Does it still have Plesioth or whatever the water jerk with the Hip Check of Doom was? His hit boxes were rear end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Ok, but I honestly have no clue what Monster Hunter is. The last console game I bought was The Last of Us and before that Dead Space 3, and we all know how THAT turned out.

(I refuse to count the countless LEGO movie games that have adorned my shelves since my stepdaughter moved in)

It's an action/adventure game that's basically one long loot grind. You have very large, very angry monsters (most of them dinosaurs or basically dinosaur-shaped) trotting around some little village somewhere, and you must sally forth and kill them and make things out their corpses with which to kill bigger monsters. There's no real cannon-fodder in the series to speak of, mostly; some monsters get a legion of tinier ones nipping at their heels, but for the most part battles are all lengthy affairs that often involve the use of traps, bait, and multiple weak points. The combat system's pretty in-depth with various stances and weapon types, and there's the usual farming/fishing loot grind as well to pad it out.

As someone who hates loot grinds and RNG, there's absolutely nothing about the series that appeals to me. I got about three hours into MH3U at Occ's insistence before swearing it off for good, because there's no forward progression or sense of reward besides the grind.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 16, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CobiWann posted:

Ok, but I honestly have no clue what Monster Hunter is.

This is monster hunter:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So it's an MMO without the name?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CobiWann posted:

And vastly better combat, to be fair. But yes, imagine doing nothing but one- or two-man raid bosses for 150 hours and that's Monster Hunter.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CobiWann posted:

It actually IS an mmo hilariously, but that's a fair comparison; the biggest differentiator, and it's a huge one, is that its combat is actually super deep and varied and not managing cool downs

Monster hunter is basically a genre unto itself and resists easy comparison, if you dig it then you're super super into it and if you don't you hate it

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Oxxidation posted:

And vastly better combat, to be fair. But yes, imagine doing nothing but one- or two-man raid bosses for 150 hours and that's Monster Hunter.

I can't watch a video right now, but what you're describing sound very similar to a long and grindy Shadow of the Colossus, which is basically the Best Game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Monster Hunter is a combination of MMO progression logic with Dark Souls-style animation-based combat with the addition of :krad: four-player co-op and which rewards situational awareness, familiarity with the monsters (a la Shadow of the Colossus), and real-life experience rather than arbitrary EXP gains and Better Equipment.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Go RV! posted:

I can't watch a video right now, but what you're describing sound very similar to a long and grindy Shadow of the Colossus, which is basically the Best Game.

It's not on the same continent as SotC. Or Dark Souls. Going into it expecting either will grant you only crushing disappointment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oxxidation posted:

It's not on the same continent as SotC. Or Dark Souls.

It has some mechanical similarities, mainly in terms of learning boss behaviors, but they're very different games on the whole, to be sure.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If you have a 3ds you mine as well try the demo out since they apparently fixed the early game which is always the worst part of monhun and it's, you know, free

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lots of times people tell me I should try Monster Hunter and I don't have anything against the concept of endlessly making numbers go up, but I think I've unfortunately met my quota for games which devour enormous chunks of my time and soul. I already gave most of my soul to Nintendo, and the rest of it is sealed inside of a soul gem somewhere in Tamriel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Toxxupation posted:

Monster hunter is basically a genre unto itself and resists easy comparison, if you dig it then you're super super into it and if you don't you hate it

Just like Doctor Who!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Lots of times people tell me I should try Monster Hunter and I don't have anything against the concept of endlessly making numbers go up, but I think I've unfortunately met my quota for games which devour enormous chunks of my time and soul. I already gave most of my soul to Nintendo, and the rest of it is sealed inside of a soul gem somewhere in Tamriel.

Right there with you. Thanks Sid Meier.

Then again, I'm not one to talk about throwing one's self into a hobby. Ten years of World of Warcraft AND I proudly own a copy of Warriors of the Deep.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

If you have a 3ds you mine as well try the demo out since they apparently fixed the early game which is always the worst part of monhun and it's, you know, free

Unless you're one of those chumps who're paying five bucks for a demo key

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Thanks Sid Meier.

If they come out with Civilization VI, The Master as a World Leader VI, I will have to take some of my soul back from whatever bandit in Skyrim has it, and also probably rob a bank to upgrade my computer.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

If they come out with Civilization VI, The Master as a World Leader VI, I will have to take some of my soul back from whatever bandit in Skyrim has it, and also probably rob a bank to upgrade my computer.

Well Civ: Beyond Earth is supposed to be pretty good!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

No Toxxupation keep watching the show for me.

:(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Haha, a Civ game in Space? Yeah, right. No way that exists. It would be too good and use up way too much of my time. Nice fake reviews and screenshots! Next, you'll be telling me there's actually a way to watch classic Doctor Who a second time, when everyone knows that the episodes disappear forever for you the first time that you watch them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Civ: Beyond Earth actually sucks really hard right now because it's a Firaxis release Civ game, so wait a year and for at least two expansions to come out when it finally becomes the game it's supposed to be

your welcome bicyclops/cobiwann

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Now we can simulate the show's seasons being cut in half right the middle with a year's delay!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oxxidation posted:

It's an action/adventure game that's basically one long loot grind. You have very large, very angry monsters (most of them dinosaurs or basically dinosaur-shaped) trotting around some little village somewhere, and you must sally forth and kill them and make things out their corpses with which to kill bigger monsters.

Why don't the villagers just move somewhere else?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

Civ: Beyond Earth actually sucks really hard right now because it's a Firaxis release Civ game, so wait a year and for at least two expansions to come out when it finally becomes the game it's supposed to be

your welcome bicyclops/cobiwann

I don't what game you're talking about. Unless you mispelled Alpha Centauri?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Whoever gave him the code couldn't have waited till he finished the 2-parter at least? :shobon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Or at least until Netflix finished its BBC negotiations, so we could be sure they're just playing hardball like they always do and the show isn't going to disappear from streaming media.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

in other news oxxidation wrote a thing that you should read because it's hella good, read it yeah

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Jerusalem posted:

Whoever gave him the code couldn't have waited till he finished the 2-parter at least? :shobon:

No, that was their plan all along: to delay the second part as long as possible so that he never finishes the show in time to reach the end of the current season. And thus, he has to do this forever.

It was almost a perfect plan...but there was one fatal flaw: it was far too obvious.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Beyond Earth is pretty much just a $60 full conversion mod of Civ V. If you didn't like V, you won't like BE. If you got bored with V you'll get bored with BE even faster since so much was gutted.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mo' MonHun Mo' Problems

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I'm legitimately considering getting a new 3DS specifically for MonHun 4 when I've not really played a MonHun before

I make good decisions with my disposable income

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just accidentally read a good-faith argument that states that gallifrey is the planet on which the regions of johto, kanto, hoenn, sinnoh, unova, and kalos are located, essentially arguing that the world of pokemon is populated not with humans but with time lords, which explains away on the dumb poo poo that happens in the pokemon universe, like pokemon themselves, with "time lord science" and pokeballs having the same "bigger on the inside" technology that make TARDISes

it also explains why a society would allow ten-year-olds to venture into the wilderness by themselves to battle and capture lethal beasts, because everyone can regenerate and thus who cares about "dying", right

I need...I need to lay down now

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 17, 2015

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

... and did you agree?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Pokeballs don't need to be bigger on the inside, the pokemon don't live in there they're converted into energy and stored in that form. God damned fanboys.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

I just accidentally read a good-faith argument that states that gallifrey is the planet on which the regions of johto, kanto, hoenn, sinnoh, unova, and kalos are located, essentially arguing that the world of pokemon is populated not with humans but with time lords, which explains away on the dumb poo poo that happens in the pokemon universe, like pokemon themselves, with "time lord science" and pokeballs having the same "bigger on the inside" technology that make TARDISes

it also explains why a society would allow ten-year-olds to venture into the wilderness by themselves to battle and capture lethal beasts, because everyone can regenerate and thus who cares about "dying", right

I need...I need to lay down now
You're over-thinking conspiracy theories again.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
We're a few (ish) pages in, and nobody has posted the eleventh doctor rocking out at the worlds best music festival. Shame on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVhXyjEjmnA

(unless you did and I missed it, sorry, I lurk the best I can)

e: not only was matt smith on the books for a pro footy team, but he apparently has grade 8 synths.

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 17, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

what the

what is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Toxxupation posted: