Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I guess the Hidden Mist village just has shark people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Could someone explain the Free references?
Otherwise, I'm loving the fact that you guys are punning a million miles an hour. I could watch pretty much any game with that commentary.

honestly if it helps any i dont know half the time what those three are joking about with all that anime chat

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

FutureFriend posted:

honestly if it helps any i dont know half the time what those three are joking about with all that anime chat
That just means you should watch more anime

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

That just means you should watch more anime

"this sounds like terrible advice" i say in the thread about popular anime naruto

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FutureFriend posted:

"this sounds like terrible advice" i say in the thread about popular anime naruto

That's how you know that it's actually really good advice.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

FutureFriend posted:

I pick up on most of it, I just forgot about Free! I haven't really tried to watch anything new in the last few years, and my roommate who funneled news to me moved away, so it's easy to forget about newer stuff.

zephyr42
Apr 19, 2012
I love all the puns you guys throw around, they're amazing.

I'd also like to point out that a merchant guy was just totally standing around and chilling out in the super secret Uchiha hideout.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Sasuke has entered the Uchiha clan hideout for his final confrontation with his brother. The only thing on his mind is vengeance for his fallen clan. Will Sasuke be able to kill Itachi and bring honor back to the Uchiha name, or will his journey end here? Meanwhile, something sinister seems to be lurking just beneath the surface, but what? Find out today on the exciting conclusion of Chapter 5: Brothers!

Characters Introduced This Episode

Madara Uchiha
One of the original founders of the Hidden Leaf Village. After being denied the position of Hokage during the creation of the village, he left his home in disgust. Now he's returned to take his revenge on the Hidden Leaf Village. He started by helping Itachi in his quest to kill of the Uchiha clan, and now he's helping Sasuke to take down the village once and for all.

Glossary Terms Introduced This Episode
Susanoo
A guardian spirit granted to those who have mastered the Sharingan. Due to its tie to the Sharingan, it is only available to those of Uchiha blood. By unleashing their Susanoo, users are able to create a large humanoid being that can fight alongside the user and protect them. However, it causes incredible strain on their body and uses up a significant amount of life energy. Each Susanoo is unique to its user and has various forms as the user learns to better control it.

Alright, so the tone of this episode is going to be rather negative by the end, so warning in advance that we may be more critical of the story than usual, and the jokes may not be as frequent. We discuss it a bit in the video but I'd like to make an extra comment or two that I couldn't fit into the time.
To me, Sasuke doesn't fit the tone of Naruto as a whole. Naruto's character arc is about self-improvement towards a goal, and learning to enjoy the journey. Even in the most dire of circumstances, there's an air of optimism and levity to the whole thing. Naruto stays positive, the gang learns a lesson, the typical shonen tromp. But Sasuke is sort of an antithesis to all that. He's moody, negative, and has a lot more "edge" to him than any other protagonist. Now part of that is to set him up as an anti-hero and an opposite to Naruto, but I feel like it's taken to such an extreme that it makes him stand out. And that's why his story seems so much worse than Naruto's, in my opinion. Naruto may not be a good character but I prefer the positive attitude of Naruto over Sasuke's eternal angst, especially after Madara drops the truth about Itachi on him, since it negates his entire motivation and ruins a lot of the build-up for Sasuke. In general, but particularly for this game, Sasuke's story always feels like a low point for me, especially with as anticlimactic as Chapter 4 is and the huge infodump at the end of Chapter 5. Thankfully, we gotten over the hump, and I think the final two chapters will at least bring back a reasonable amount of levity to our commentary and the game. Thanks for sticking with us through these tough times.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Heh I nearly forgot about the Madara thing.

I always find Sasuke funny as he is basically a damsel in distress; his entire character arc really only exists so Naruto can have a reason to chase after him and try to save him. If he was a woman it would be unbelievably sexist, but instead he's this over the top bad boy with magic Uchiha eyes so he ends up being this really unbalanced combination of overpowered as all hell while at the same time being completely loving useless.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wasn't really a fan of the whole Itatchi turn. I'm curious how much of this the author had planned in the beginning. It feels like he saw the popularity of Itatchi, and wanted a way to make him a good guy after all so the fans wouldn't feel conflicted about liking him. Then an IMMORTAL FOUNDER man shows up and eventually does some really dumb stuff. It all seems like a cop out to me.

I feel like I enjoy Naruto for everything that doesn't deal with Sasuke or Naruto. I would be curious to see how the show fared with an extended Baccano/Durarara/Pulp Fiction flow where we get to focus on the setting and side characters, whom are interesting and have creative powers as opposed to Naruto and Sasuke just powering up DBZ style until the end.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Man, Itachi is really hogging the mythology. Susano-o killing the Yamata-no-Orochi? 100% classic Shinto. Sure, great. Leave it at that and it's fine. But all that poo poo about illusions and reality, that's Buddhist! Quit bogarting all the religions, man. Leave some for everyone else.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Shadow225 posted:

I wasn't really a fan of the whole Itatchi turn. I'm curious how much of this the author had planned in the beginning. It feels like he saw the popularity of Itatchi, and wanted a way to make him a good guy after all so the fans wouldn't feel conflicted about liking him. Then an IMMORTAL FOUNDER man shows up and eventually does some really dumb stuff. It all seems like a cop out to me.

Yeah it was around about this part of the story when all the Naruto fans realized that Kishimoto has a giant hard-on for the Uchiha clan and that the key to victory in the Naruto universe was to have magic eyeballs. A lot of people didn't realize just how far the magic eyeball powers were going to go crazy until this and then it began dawning on everyone that this was only the beginning.

FractalSandwich posted:

Man, Itachi is really hogging the mythology. Susano-o killing the Yamata-no-Orochi? 100% classic Shinto. Sure, great. Leave it at that and it's fine. But all that poo poo about illusions and reality, that's Buddhist! Quit bogarting all the religions, man. Leave some for everyone else.

Dude you ain't seen poo poo yet, the Uchiha have everything. Itachi's Susanoo wields the Yata Mirror in its left hand; a special shield that nullifies any attack that strikes it. In its right hand it wields the Sakegari no Tachi or Sake Cutter Longword, anyone who is cut buy the boozeblade is sucked into the bottle and trapped forever in a world of drunken dreams. A character outright states that this combination of weapons makes Itachi's Susanoo invincible. Wait till you fukken see what the other Susanoo's do.

e: Also Itachi should be the hardest fight in the game; he's the only character in the entire story who never unintentionally loses a fight. I'm also saddened that they skipped the genjutsu fight that they have in the Anime because that is so entertainingly dumb.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 16, 2015

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Honestly Itachi acted really weird in his first appearance (fighting in a pretty half-assed way, bolting at the first sign of serious resistance, etc). Even before this part happened I thought something strange was going on.

Yeah, Susanoo is the point where Uchiha eye powers start getting really overpowered and stupid. The Uchiha were known for their talents with genjutsu and fire, so Tsukuyomi and Amaterasu at least make sense as extensions of that, but then magic ghost skeleton happens and it's all downhill from there.

Also, the whole "the Uchiha were discriminated against" thing is pretty ridiculous, considering they were the Leaf's police force and appeared to be highly respected by the population at large.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 16, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

U.T. Raptor posted:

Honestly Itachi acted really weird in his first appearance (fighting in a pretty half-assed way, bolting at the first sign of serious resistance, etc). Even before this part happened I thought something strange was going on.

Yeah Itachi has been dying for awhile now, he's also three quarters blind from using his magic eyeball powers and he still defeats Sasuke. They skipped over it in the game but half the reason Itachi even has this fight with Sasuke is because Itachi knows Orochimaru isn't dead and is hiding in Sasuke's body and Itachi wants to draw Orochimaru out and seal him to save his little brother.

In case you haven't noticed yet; Orochimaru is probably the second hardest person to kill in the entire series (the hardest being Hidan) and he is pretty much just a hairs breadth away from total immortality. Now hes trapped inside Itachi's boozeblade having drunken dreams forever but we'll see if that stops him or not.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Shadow225 posted:

I'm curious how much of this the author had planned in the beginning.

Pretty much all of it, if you believe that. In the manga, back in like...chapter 7 or some other ridiculously early time, Sasuke is first giving us some tidbits of his backstory and he says something to the effect of "That day...why was he crying...?" about Itachi.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah Kishimoto claims that all the major plot points were worked out before he even started the series. He wasn't 100% sure how each would be resolved but this part of the backstory was definitely set in stone right from the start. It's a reveal, not a retcon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm glad Sasuke Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 is over.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm glad Sasuke Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 is over.

Don't worry Sasuke becomes relevant again later in Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and 4.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Neruz posted:

Don't worry Sasuke becomes relevant again later in Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and 4.

We're going to cover those, aren't we?

This brings me great despair.

At least Naruto as a character isn't a walking talking bag of edge waiting to break and spew edge-laced edgeblood all over the edge.

What I'm saying is that anybody with Uchiha as their last name is far too edgy for this manga's/anime's/game's own drat good.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Count Bleck posted:

At least Naruto as a character isn't a walking talking bag of edge waiting to break and spew edge-laced edgeblood all over the edge.

What I'm saying is that anybody with Uchiha as their last name is far too edgy for this manga's/anime's/game's own drat good.

If it makes you feel any better Sasuke does eventually lighten up, it takes like six separate story arcs at least two of which are almost entirely about Naruto trying to get Sasuke to lighten up but it does happen in the end thanks to a hilariously improbable sequence of events and technically Naruto's help although honestly the important part has nothing to do with Naruto so good work there title character I guess :shrug:

What I'm trying to say is Sasuke is a fucker.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Neruz posted:

What I'm trying to say is Sasuke is a fucker.

Naruto.txt

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The entire 20 minute cutscene was worth it for the outbursts of laughter at the dual fireball scene and Tobi/Madara's return. So much hilarious out of nowhere poo poo in that fight. Orochi-horcrux has to be the best. Also I'm sure it's just something the game glossed over that's actually explained in the anime but I love how Sasuke just suddenly has a giant lightning spirit to attack Cake Castle with no explanation.

Also why the hell were Sasuke's eyes ninja stars? I know this game doesn't explain itself a lot but seeing as how that is not a pattern that was in either his or Itachi's eyes, that seems like something that should be addressed.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 17, 2015

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

TwoPair posted:

Also why the hell were Sasuke's eyes ninja stars? I know this game doesn't explain itself a lot but seeing as how that is not a pattern that was in either his or Itachi's eyes, that seems like something that should be addressed.

I'm pretty sure no two mangekyo sharingan look the same. Sasuke's are pretty stupid looking, but I think Kakashi/Obito's eye wins for dumbest super eye.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Those were his....Ninja Eyeball Stars.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TwoPair posted:

The entire 20 minute cutscene was worth it for the outbursts of laughter at the dual fireball scene and Tobi/Madara's return. So much hilarious out of nowhere poo poo in that fight. Orochi-horcrux has to be the best. Also I'm sure it's just something the game glossed over that's actually explained in the anime but I love how Sasuke just suddenly has a giant lightning spirit to attack Cake Castle with no explanation.

Yeah in the anime Itachi sets like an entire square kilometer of forest on fire with Amaterasu (the black flames that burn everything and cannot be put out) which causes a bunch of hot air to rise, creating a storm system that Sasuke then spends awhile carefully positioning himself to take advantage of.

TwoPair posted:

That is Sasuke's Mangekyo Sharingan. Itachi dying in front of Sasuke while also giving Sasuke his power (his 'eyes') awakened Sasuke's Mangekyo Sharingan; the second level of Sharingan. Mangekyo Sharingan is where all the crazy stupid insane magic eye powers start to happen: the black fires of Amaterasu, the inescapable illusions of Tsukuyomi (which I don't think appeared in this game) and manifesting a Susanoo are three Mangekyo Sharingan powers that Itachi had learned to control.

Every Mangekyo Sharingan user has two unique powers; one tied to his left eye and one tied to his right and it varies from user to user. Sasuke has inherited his brothers Amaterasu in his left eye and later on with his right eye he will learn his own unique technique called Kagutsuchi which lets him shape and manipulate the flames of Amaterasu to make walls and stuff. Someone with two Mangekyo Sharingan can also manifest Susanoo, though the precise nature of the Susanoo varies from user to user; Sasuke's one is quite different from Itachi's for example though we won't get to see him use it in this game.

In addition to the unique powers awakening a Mangekyo Sharingan also makes all the normal Sharingan stuff (super eyesight, increased chakra power\control etc etc) more powerful. Each Mangekyo Sharingan has a unique look but there are certain 'patterns' that indicate certain powers; later in the story Madara comments that Sasuke's 'straight tomoe' means he has superior movement reading capabilities, so presumably the tomoe (pattern) of the Sharingan tells something about what it is capable of.

Finally, the Mangekyo Sharingan degrades over time with use causing the owner to slowly go blind, lose their health and die. This is what was killing Itachi. The only way to cure this is to take a close blood relative's eyes (a brother or sister) after they have also awakened a Mangekyo Sharingan and merge them with your own, creating an Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan which grants wtfbbqsuperawesome magic eyeball powers and potentially immortality.

Remember also that in order to awaken a Mangekyo Sharingan in the first place you need to suffer trauma from witnessing the death of someone you care about deeply; preferably you want to kill them yourself. So in order to get a single Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan you need to have two Uchiha brothers\sisters each murder their best friend and then have one kill the other and take their eyes. :psyduck:
Up until the reveal that Itachi was a good guy all along it was implied that this is why Itachi let Sasuke live; Itachi was waiting for Sasuke to awaken his Mangekyo Sharingan so that Itachi could then take Sasuke's eyes and gain an Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan. Ironically the inverse is actually true; Itachi planned to give his eyes to Sasuke so Sasuke could have the Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan, but Sasuke doesn't know wtf is going on so he didn't take Itachi's eyes. I do hope some improbable sequence of events that allows Sasuke to get another chance to get Itachi's eyes just happens to occur for a totally unrelated reason some time in the future.

dancingbears posted:

I'm pretty sure no two mangekyo sharingan look the same. Sasuke's are pretty stupid looking, but I think Kakashi/Obito's eye wins for dumbest super eye.

Yeah every one is different, unlike normal Sharingan where they're all the same.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 17, 2015

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Well Sasuke only shows up for two chapters in UNS3, and he's only a playable character in one of them.
Now, with UNS4 being the end of the saga, is there sure to be more of him? Sure, but who knows how it's gonna be handled, really.
I'm sure I'll cover those games at some point, but even as a full time anime, I need to take a break from Naruto a bit after this game.

Neruz posted:

Some of these things are spoilers, and you've explicitly stated as much.

I would prefer if you could at least tag the things we don't know about yet if you're just gonna make a gigantic dump about everything related to the Sharingan ever. As much as it does cut down on me posting about the crazy ninja powers.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sorry, I didn't think anything I had said was really much of a spoiler. Is that better?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

Sorry, I didn't think anything I had said was really much of a spoiler. Is that better?

Yeah, thanks. It's not that it was too significantly spoilery, but it'd be nice to see at least some of that unfold in real time, whenever my co-commentators forgive me/forget about what they've endured such that they agree to do UNS3.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

Yeah, thanks. It's not that it was too significantly spoilery, but it'd be nice to see at least some of that unfold in real time, whenever my co-commentators forgive me/forget about what they've endured such that they agree to do UNS3.

im ready lets do it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

ridiculous eyeball poo poo

yeah I knew most of the basics, I just didn't know that apparently magic eyeballs are like snowflakes and no two are the same.

What the heck are those? (I love that video way too much)

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Silly Orochimaru, setting up a fight with Susano'o with Orochi and expecting to win.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Szurumbur posted:

Silly Orochimaru, setting up a fight with Susano'o with Orochi and expecting to win.

That is a reference, isn't it? :aaaaa:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's a reference to Shinto myth. Susanoo-no-Mikoto is the Shinto god of the sea and storms who is most famous for defeating the Yamata-no-Orochi, an 8-headed serpent.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Count Bleck posted:

That is a reference, isn't it? :aaaaa:

Mythology most likely.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

Dude you ain't seen poo poo yet

This is basically Naruto.txt.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Gantolandon posted:

This is basically Naruto.txt.

Yeah, when Ninja get really serious about trying to kill each other you have to start redrawing the maps. I am not being facetious; a serious fight between high level ninjas typically rearranges geography rather significantly.

An example of this is the forest surrounding Konoha, yeah you know that big seemingly endless forest? That didn't exist until the First Hokage made it. He made an entire goddamn forest that covers something like half the country just so he could hide a ninja village in it.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 18, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It didn't really work because a lot of people seem to loving know where it is.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014

Neruz posted:

Yeah, when Ninja get really serious about trying to kill each other you have to start redrawing the maps. I am not being facetious; a serious fight between high level ninjas typically rearranges geography rather significantly.

An example of this is the forest surrounding Konoha, yeah you know that big seemingly endless forest? That didn't exist until the First Hokage made it. He made an entire goddamn forest that covers something like half the country just so he could hide a ninja village in it.

If I remember correctly, that valley that Sasuke and Naruto fought in, was a forest once, a big one. The First Hokage had a fight there with Madara Uchiha and they literally fought that huge loving canyon into existence with jutsu and crazy eye magic
Edit: Spoilered that just incase

JackNapier fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 18, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JackNapier posted:

If I remember correctly, that valley that Sasuke and Naruto fought in, was a forest once, a big one. The First Hokage had a fight there with Madara Uchiha and they literally fought that huge loving canyon into existence with jutsu and crazy eye magic
Edit: Spoilered that just incase

Yup, the Valley of the End is another one. I think the Anime even has a flashback later on where we get to see them fight the canyon into existence. I don't know if its been explained how that happened by this point in the story but Madara showed up with the Nine Tailed Fox because he was upset that Hashirama (First Hokage) had built Konoha and so he figured he'd take the Nine Tailed Fox and burn Konoha to the ground. Hashirama wasn't on board with this and the two met in combat on the border of the Land of Fire and the Land of Sound, a combat that Hashirama won thanks to the fact that he had wood magic and wood magic > tailed beasts.

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually the vast majority of the inhabitants of the Land of Fire have no clue where Konoha is. The Naruto story pretty much concerns ninjas exclusively and by this point it concerns only high level ninjas with incredible amounts of power. You basically end up with the story only ever showing us the top 5 - 10% most skilled\powerful people in the world and never mentioning the other 90% who spend their lives farming rice and generally being unobtrusive.

Normal people can't even use Chakra.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Well the morons put up their own drat Mt. Rushmore, it's their own fault really.

Neruz posted:

Actually the vast majority of the inhabitants of the Land of Fire have no clue where Konoha is. The Naruto story pretty much concerns ninjas exclusively and by this point it concerns only high level ninjas with incredible amounts of power. You basically end up with the story only ever showing us the top 5 - 10% most skilled\powerful people in the world and never mentioning the other 90% who spend their lives farming rice and generally being unobtrusive.

Normal people can't even use Chakra.

I suppose. My personal belief is that pretty much everyone in Naruto-land knows where the village is but 99% of the population just stays the gently caress away because of all the bullshit that goes on around there. It's like Gotham City in Batman: sure you could go visit, but why take the risk?

• Locked thread