Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bajaha posted:

Thanks, I've been going for an OEM look with the mods and I've mostly stayed true to that goal.

Anyway, I need some help fellow AI-ers. As I've mentioned before, this winter I'm heading out to Banff, AB to stay for a week centered around New Years with a group of 6 including me and my fiance.

So more of this + SNOW

So far the plans include some snowboarding for half of us but other than that not much else at the moment. From those who have experienced the area in winter, I need suggestions for how best to spend our time out there. Due to some medical complications these activities can only include short walks and cannot be too strenuous, so as much as I would love to hike up mountains in the winter, it just won't be a possibility for everyone and it's bit rotten to exclude members of the group for the entire trip. So with that in mind, I'd love to hear from everyone for what's fun to do out there.

I was thinking there's probably some awesome mountain roads and killer views to check out, and we can do a lot of sightseeing from the window of a car, but I haven't gone over winter other than with family as a kid so I have no clue where the best roads are. Otherwise there's sleigh rides and usual tourist attractions like going up the gondola and the checking out the village.

So, Any suggestions on which roads to hit up and what to see and do?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Banff is beautiful and frustrating in equal measure. A bit like Alberta, really.

Don't speed in the national parks, they crack down on it a lot around holidays and all it takes is one good moose or bear hit to ruin your day.

Regarding checking out the village, I am personally a huge fan of the Grizzly House, which is a restaurant preserved as a 70s pick-up joint, complete with intercoms between tables and.. well, here: http://banffgrizzlyhouse.com/

slidebite posted:

If you see Mt. Robson from Banff you've gone the wrong way. :colbert:

Banff is cool and but Castle Mt a couple hours south near Waterton park is kind of neat too and far less touristy. Waterton park itself is very quiet and there are all sorts of cool roads going through the foothills/mountains in the area if you want to play. Most aren't in the National park so you don't have to be so concerned about getting busted. Counterpoint: You can slide of the edge of the road and die because nobody but local/gas plant employees use them with hours between vehicles. You won't have to worry about bears that time of year but Moose, Elk and Deer will probably be plentiful.

The Waterton townsite itself reminds me of Banff/Jasper when I was a kid in the 70s. Not nearly as commercialized... not even close. Could be pretty boring but might be worth a day trip if you insist on staying in the Banff area.. but it would be a long day. You could also look at Radium or Fairmont hotsprings.

If you have any interest in crossing the line Whitefish/Kalispell isn't that far from Waterton.

Thanks guys, I'm open to going wherever. The place we're staying is in Canmore anyway so I'm not tied down to the idea of spending the entire trip in Banff. The mountains are gorgeous and as a flat lander I love seeing them whenever I can, as long there's mountains around, I'll be happy.

I'll definitely try out Grizzly House, and I'll explore around Waterton, thanks for the tips! For playing around I usually go pretty safe especially in unfamiliar territory, as you guys mentioned, last thing I want is to get intimate with a moose on the road.

E: New page, I'll just throw the last few posts from the previous page to keep the discussion going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
For sure. Waterton is pretty great and I would also recommend you go there. It's an excellent day trip.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't know if there would be much to do in waterton outside of snowshoeing and xc skiing. A lot of that place closes down for the winter. A drive down to sparwood, over crowsnest pass, down to waterton, and then back up would be a nice drive though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah, to be clear you're not going to be go clubing in Waterton at night. You'll be lucky to find more than 2 restaurants open.. but there is charm to that if you are OK with that.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Three sisters parkway is a pretty cool drive if it's open. It should connect with #40 to the south. When I drove there it was ice covered and twisty so you have to be careful but the scenery is amazing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

40 will be closed for sure on the south end, but even so kicking over to 22 south is also a nice highway drive as you skirt the foot of the mountains and foothills. The Frank Slide area is impressive if you've never seen it before.

Highway/train tracks are cut right through it.
e: Not Hwy 22, but close by.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 6, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I figured about Waterton, should be cool to check out a small town like that though. I'm really hoping that conditions allow the cool mountain roads to be open, looks like there's a few roads that are seasonal, and I'm guessing a lot of the smaller roads don't get serviced at all.

I've been poking around google maps and it looks like 40 is open until where Smith Dorrain trail (looks like it's also called three sisters parkway) would shoot you back up to Canmore. Looks like it would make for a nice scenic drive. I've gone though the frank slide area on the last trip, but we didn't really stop to explore (trip ended up pretty fast paced, tried sticking in way too much into one trip so some sections where just a lot of driving rather than spending time exploring the areas in between)

HWY 11 up to the end of what looks like a lake but is apparently the north Saskatchewan river looks like it would be pretty scenic too. Definitely want to hit up the Lussier hotsprings (Off of 93 around Canal Flats) as long as the road is open. Any other suggestions for hotsprings that aren't commercialized and turned into glorified hot tubs?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've been swamped with finals lately, but took some study breaks to go through some pics, play with photoshop, and insta-whoring it up.

Selective color is pretty fun to play with, I'm starting to really like it.

Same with sepia tone, oh god, I'm turning hipster :gay:

Through the grass

Yay! Bright lights!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm back from adventure. That one week flew by ridiculously quick, didn't get nearly as much as I wanted done but either way, it was one hell of a trip.

Quick teaser for now, I'll do an actual effort post sometime later in the week... probably.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

And here we are, the Banff 2015 NYE roadtrip. Over 4000 km and no cruise, drat my foot was sore but it was worth it.

We stayed in Silvercreek Lodge in Canmore AB. Really nice place, nice and big rooms, full kitchen, laundry in room, and best of all, this was the view from the room when we arrived.

The next morning we were greeted with this:

I don't think I would ever get tired waking up to that. The sheer size of the mountains is just impossible to catch on camera, you really have to be there to experience it. It's crazy how scenic this area is.

Perfect timing stopping along HWY 1A on the way to Lake Louise. Probably one of my better shots.

Of course we stopped at the regular sightseeing spots and took the required pictures, haha.

Anyway, the two hills we managed to hit up out there were Sunshine and Lake Louise. Obvious big choices but first time actually out in the mountains to snowboard/ski in the mountains so the popular choices it is.

The mountains are crazy, especially for an amateur who hasn't snowboarded in a few years and comes from flat land. The biggest "hill" I've gone down prior was at a Manitoban hill/valley called Assessippi. These trails kicked my rear end. Sore and bruised, the Kokanee Kabin was the place to go and relax.

Back at the lodge during the evenings we tried out a great drinking game, seriously, all you beer bong players take note, this game is much more fun at parties. That game is Honeycomb.

Object of the game is to bounce your ball into a cup. all your drinking cups are in the center (supposed to be in a Honeycomb shape, but w/e) Two cups go around the circle and if one manages to reach the other it gets stacked into that cup and whoever it landed on has to drink. This repeats until all the drinks your drinks are gone, then you're out. By the end of the game you have a huge stack for one person and a single cup for the other, this game really ramps near the end. I'd say it's actually much more fun than beer pong and it's derivatives.

Continuing on, on the days when we weren't at the hills we did manage to do some exploring. Went on an adventure through BC trying to get to Lussier Hotsprings.

Of course the highway would have been the most sane path, and probably would have taken us there, but we decided to take some back roads.

It started off pretty nice, coming off the highway on Settlers way in Kootenay, and it soon turned into a pure logging trail and was a blast to go down. We ended up at a bridge, and I have to repeat myself, the mountains are beautiful.

The logging roads were great, nice elevation changes.

Lots of twisting and turning, and when the trees cleared,

you would get some amazing sights.

Sadly, shortly after passing this bridge, the road we wanted to continue on was unplowed and completely untouched. We weighed the risks and it wasn't worth it in case we either drove off the road, got lost, or ran into any issues. There's no reception and being completely untouched it's really doubtful that anyone would stumble across us if we did get stuck. So turned around and backtracked a bit and found a different trail to make our way down to Canal Flats.

Of course the trip wouldn't be complete without an animal sighting.

When we were farther I thought these were moose, they looked pretty drat huge. The road continued on and didn't dissapoint.

The ice falls in the mountains always draw my eyes. Something about them.

Once we got out of the wilderness, we decided to go to Fairmont instead since Canal Flats was pretty much a ghost town, and we were hungry. We found this nice little place to eat in Fairmont, their shtick is that their food is completely made from scratch. This was on the menu

Ron Swanson would be proud.

Since we were already in Fairmont, it was getting late, we gave up on finding the Lussier hotsprings and just went for the convenient choice of Fairmont glorified hot tub hotsprings

Your hair freezing up while sitting in nice hot water is a pretty nice experience.

We had a little New Years celebration, watched the fireworks from the balcony due to everyone being too intoxicated to drive anywhere, and the girls decided to liven up the room with a heaping portion of sparkles. drat things were a huge pain to clean up after.

Another day, another adventure. Only two in the group wanted to go to skiing on the last night we had at the lodge, so the rest of us dropped them off and went on a nice drive from Lake Louise to Golden to Radium, and back to Lake Louise to pick them up again.

Stopped before Golden at Kicking Horse rest area to take some pics

Saw some Rams. The sign was very accurate on that day.

I found myself a Tunnel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaUsdNKIhRs

And compressed the 5 hours of driving into this 9.5 min film. (hopefully youtube doesn't end up muting the music, if it does it might be a bit boring. The drive between Golden and Radium was unfortunately not that scenic nor interesting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2h5vvMVSDA

On the last day before heading back, we spent the day in Banff village, did the touristy things like souvenir shopping and whatnot, and we went to the Grizzly house, and it turns out that one of our friends that lives out there actually works there as a cook, neato.

Of course we went with the exotic platter and a modified Alberta platter, so we had the pleasure of feasting on Ostrich, Frog, Elk, Rattle Snake, Wild Bore, Beef, Venison, Shark, Duck, Buffalo, and Kangaroo.

Ostrich, Rattle Snake, and Kangaroo were definitely my favorites, Shark and Duck were letdowns, I had high hopes for them but they just didn't measure up.

And thus concludes my Banff trip. On the way back the gas prices were awesome, under a $1.00 for premium in Medicine Hat.

The prices in Winnipeg have now caught up, but still, it was nice at the time.

Oh, and in Veloster news, we have had some issues with the service at Murray Hyundai. To the point where I have written a 1000 word (actually a little over 1000) letter/email to Hyundai Canada. I will update this thread eventually with that. For now, hopefully you have enjoyed the latest installment in the Baja adventures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Looks like a great trip. Glad you liked the Grizzly House.

Excellent taste in music as well. Royksopp is one of my favorites.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Sweet trip. I live in the mountains and was still pretty impressed driving through in sept.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Canada looks really awesome. I must eat this Alberta Platter......

This is a super :shobon: question probobly but if you have the trans and engine out of a WRX why don't you have cruise control.... isnt it just on the ECU or something?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
That tunnel video rules. I really need to get out west one of these days...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Off topic, but where is a good place to source OEM parts in :canada: ?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The mountains are amazing, for anyone who hasn't experienced the Rockies, you should definitely do it at least once in your lifetime. It's just a must-have experience. Plus I can't say I've ever been disappointed going through the mountains. I really want to make it a life goal to live in the mountains at one point. Would be nice :allears:

And thanks SSS for the Grizzly House recommendation, probably the most expensive meals I've ever had but it was a worthwhile experience. Don't think I'd go for the full monty next time around, but as a once-in-a-lifetime experience it was pretty great.

I really wish I had the G1w footage from the logging road, but all it saved was the first 3 minutes of the road once we left the highway, and the rest looks like it got overwritten before the old stuff did. It was plugged in the entire time and I checked it a few times and it looked like it was recording but who knows why it was overwritten. I since have cleared the card completely and it looks like it writes and overwrites properly now so I'm just assuming it was a glitch. Friend of mine recorded a few minutes of video from his phone as well so I might throw that video up if it ends up looking somewhat interesting.

AcidRonin posted:

This is a super :shobon: question probobly but if you have the trans and engine out of a WRX why don't you have cruise control.... isnt it just on the ECU or something?

It is ECU controlled, but I currently don't have the rear wheel sensors hooked up, and the pitch/yaw sensor is out of the car as well. It also resides on the WRX body harness which is not installed. Without TCS/ABS systems functioning, cruise cannot be enabled. I would have to wire in the pitch/yaw sensor and wire in the rear wheel sensor and hope everything plays nice to get cruise working. I asked my tuner and he doesn't have access to those systems through the accessport so there's no way to tune around it.

slidebite posted:

I actually haven't found a cheap source in Canada. I usually order from the US from (I think this is the one I usually go through) subarupartswarehouse.com They have 15% - 20% off on most major holidays so I buy online and have it shipped to ND to a parcel service. Locally I'm stuck with either dealer parts department (usually $rape), junkyard which is hit and miss for subaru's here or Cross Canada (decent place for OEM style replacement parts, but they mostly have stuff you'd need when repairing collision damage rather than maintenance or mechanical parts)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

In addition, I have nothing but glowing praise for Subaru's best AWD system, ie. Mechanical LSD's in front and rear combined with the 6 speed trick DCCD and the DCCDpro controller, paired with some amazing winter tires and an incredible suspension setup. This combo is near unstoppable and the acceleration and stability in slippery conditions you get when cranking up the aggressiveness of the controller is surreal. I don't think I've ever experienced such joy as when you press the accelerator and feel as the car plants down and just finds grip that shouldn't be there. It's magnificent.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I've been mostly using Subaru Genuine Parts. They will ship USPS which is nice, but the shipping is still pretty pricey. Have yet to find a decent place in :canada: although if you were doing one big order I'd probably head up to Scott Subaru in Red Deer since their parts desk is excellent.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

slidebite posted:

Any parts at all in canada is lovely as a rule. Canadapartsway sometimes has poo poo in stock for alright prices.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Two more dashcam vids I forgot to post earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiDRUJAZMpI
Conditions were slippery coming into the mountains, saw a few drivers in the ditch already, and this guy looked it he might be joining them. Managed to recover from sliding around. The perspective on the dashcam sorta downplays the action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxmAve-zb-g
When in doubt, make your own turning lane I guess?

And an update with the Veloster!

Lets see, where did we let off? Oh yeah, Current unresolved issues are that the Navigation is still non-functional. That means we haven't had a properly working nav unit since April of 2014. The floor mats that have lost the embroidered patch back in June 2014 and were promised by Murray Hyundai to be replaced, have not yet been replaced. And the Dashboard and Steering wheel that the service department has managed to damage, and then did an unsatisfactory repair on, is still an ongoing issue.

Last contact with the dealer was back in Nov. 2014, at which point they told us they will be ordering a new dashboard and steering wheel to replace the damaged ones, as well as the proper floormats for the car, and yet another nav. unit to replace the still non-functional one in the car. (4th radio that has been in the car so far) We have been used to the really slow service at Murray so a month or two of wait time before repairs is not out of the ordinary for them. Last week, we finally decided to stop by the dealer to figure out what is happening with the work order, since we haven't heard anything back since early Nov/ late Oct. Well, we were in for a nice surprise.

Turns out, their service manager has denied the order for the dashboard and steering wheel, as well as the floormats, and that the radio had not been ordered either because it was all part of the same invoice. This decision was made a few weeks after our visit in Nov. 2014. They have simply neglected to contact us about this. I really doubt they would have ever contacted us had we not stopped by the showroom last week. Furthermore, the stated reason for not replacing the dashboard is because the service department is unable to replace a dashboard without introducing new squeaks and rattles. The service writer also joked about ordering the center vents as a preemptive measure since they have already broken those vents twice while servicing the nav unit previously. The floormats are being denied because the embroidered patch (that fell off) is missing (That's kinda the reason why they need to be replaced, no?) After discussion with management, they won't budge with the replacement for the dash and steering wheel, having stated that they can try to repair it again, but if it's still unsatisfactory (which it probably will since matching the texture on the dashboard is going to be near impossible) that we will "just have to live with the damage" that they caused to our interior.

During this visit, they also redid the invoice and now finally a new nav unit has been ordered, cue another month or two of waiting.

Isn't one of the definitions of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? I have my doubts that another nav unit will resolve the recurring issues we've been having.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the info about parts. I don't need much so just might suck up to my local dealer. I only live 45 minutes from my box in Montana, it's just a PITA as I rarely go across the line in winter

Didn't you contact Hyundai Canada about that lemon? Pretty sure you have, but make sure you keep super-clear records of all your dealings/conversations with the dealer. It isn't a crazy idea to even record them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Didn't you contact Hyundai Canada about that lemon? Pretty sure you have, but make sure you keep super-clear records of all your dealings/conversations with the dealer. It isn't a crazy idea to even record them.

Yeah, I made a (hopefully) very well worded 1000 word essay detailing the various issues we've experienced, as well as the level of service we have been receiving at Murray Hyundai. We also contacted them earlier in ownership (right after the starting issues) at which point they politely refused to buyback the Lemontm and it took them a little under 3 weeks to respond, so it looks like it might be a while before we hear back from them. In the mean time, we've also contact the CAMVAP asking them to look over our situation and hopefully advise us whether they feel like we would have a strong case if we do end up pushing for the buyback through arbitration. In any case, we have to allow the manufacturer to respond to our issues, and once we hear from them we'll see how to proceed.

I've got to find time before school work gets really intense to go through all the old records and photos to get exact dates for issues and get a nice chronological timeline. The issue is the dealer has been kinda lovely for keeping detailed records and since they keep tacking things on the same invoices, the dates are all out of what for when things actually occur vs. what they print on some invoices. It's kind of ridiculous what this ownership experience has turned into. I think I'll have to record them since the service writer has a tendency to say a few things that would make you cringe. I've already overheard him dupe a few people into bogus service while in the waiting room/seating area, as well as some other peoples problems with warranty service since I've had to wait at that drat dealer so many times. They really do prey on the mechanically illiterate, I feel bad for some of the people's situations I've overheard.

Anyway, since text isn't all to exciting, have a picture of the mountains!

And one dirty engine bay that's about to be washed.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
The other day in the news thread a bunch of goons were having a bit of a circle jerk over Kia and Hyundai and I just wanted to send them to your thread. While it's true you're only one person, you're a person I *know* so as far as I'm concerned gently caress Hyundai.

edit: grammar and spelling. gently caress me forever for misusing 'your'.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 17, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

The other day in the news thread a bunch of goons were having a bit of a circle jerk over Kia and Hyundai and I just wanted to send them to your thread. While it's try you're only one person, your a person I *know* so as far as I'm concerned gently caress Hyundai.

I have a friend working service at a KIA dealer and he says he has plenty of horror stories but he likes his job.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

The other day in the news thread a bunch of goons were having a bit of a circle jerk over Kia and Hyundai and I just wanted to send them to your thread. While it's try you're only one person, your a person I *know* so as far as I'm concerned gently caress Hyundai.

We weren't having a circle jerk, we were saying Hyundai is still better than GM. :colbert:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

KillHour posted:

We weren't having a circle jerk, we were saying Hyundai is still better than GM. :colbert:

That wasn't what I was getting from the discussion, but if that was the intended thesis I possibly agree until I think about the Corvette, CTS-V, SS and all of the other insane LS powered vehicle GM makes and then I still don't want to give Hyundai credit until they're making better enthusiast vehicles. drat the economics of it all :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mat_Drinks posted:

That wasn't what I was getting from the discussion, but if that was the intended thesis I possibly agree until I think about the Corvette, CTS-V, SS and all of the other insane LS powered vehicle GM makes and then I still don't want to give Hyundai credit until they're making better enthusiast vehicles. drat the economics of it all :colbert:

Ask Dasvolk about the driving enjoyment he got out of his Z06. Enthusiast vehicles are great as long as they, yknow, work.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Bajaha posted:

And we made it to Niagara Falls

Very touristy place, but oh well, We're tourists, time to embrace it. We stayed for two nights at a nice hotel on the 8th floor with a view of the falls and it ended up being the most affordable place we stayed the entire trip. Tiny town motels and the motel from hell (more on this later) cost us more than this place, what the hell.
I work third shift in a call center, normally I just dick around on youtube but you've given me something to read so +1 internets for you.

was this hotel Sheraton On The Falls?

I support the Wifi there.

I should watch web traffic at the hotels my company supports for Goons...then block them :redhammer:

This build is super rad. Bottle your patience and work ethic and sell it.

Also take that thing to Subaru of America or STI and tell them "Factory This" - Win a job as an automotive designer.

I always wanted a wrx swapped Baja. I'll get around to it eventually.

I would never have the money to do it though. I'm plotting something asinine involving a beat up econoline and many trips to the junkyard, you've inspired me to do it right.

I'm debating buying you an avatar just for giving me something new to look at for my overnight shift.

Seriously...This thing is sick.

EDIT:
And if you're ever passing through Wisconsin in the states let me know. I'll buy you a beer within 50 miles of Milwaukee.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Mat_Drinks posted:

The other day in the news thread a bunch of goons were having a bit of a circle jerk over Kia and Hyundai and I just wanted to send them to your thread. While it's true you're only one person, you're a person I *know* so as far as I'm concerned gently caress Hyundai.

whenever one of my friends, and fellow AI poster, brings up how reliable his Hyundai is compared to my WRX (which actually hasn't done anything ever), I mention this thread. :smuggo:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mat_Drinks posted:

:allears: Awe, to be thought of.

Rhyno posted:

KIA horror stories

I would love to hear some if you have details and feel like sharing, you know what they say, misery loves company.

Fucknag posted:

Ask Dasvolk about the driving enjoyment he got out of his Z06. Enthusiast vehicles are great as long as they, yknow, work.

Seriously, how hard can it be to do some more stringent QA on your top trims? And are we sure DV isn't cursed somehow? He's had a string of issues with American halo cars after he sold the M3, at least with the Viper now it looks like their support reflects the level of auto he bought, glad to see he's getting the T/A 2.0.

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

was this hotel Sheraton On The Falls?

No it wasn't. Can't remember which hotel it was exactly, and I can't be assed to find out, but I remember it was pretty decent inside, clean, big bathroom, good sized room, and a nice and comfy kingsize with a decent TV and huge windows overlooking the falls. Place was sersiouly cheap though in the off-season. Like ~$40+tax a night cheap.

This build is super rad. Bottle your patience and work ethic and sell it.

Also take that thing to Subaru of America or STI and tell them "Factory This" - Win a job as an automotive designer.

I always wanted a wrx swapped Baja. I'll get around to it eventually.

I would never have the money to do it though. I'm plotting something asinine involving a beat up econoline and many trips to the junkyard, you've inspired me to do it right.

I'm debating buying you an avatar just for giving me something new to look at for my overnight shift.

Seriously...This thing is sick.

EDIT:
And if you're ever passing through Wisconsin in the states let me know. I'll buy you a beer within 50 miles of Milwaukee.

Haha, thanks, those are some quite generous compliments. And I'll be sure to take you up on the offer if I find myself in the area. I've actually always wanted a non-stupid newbie avatar but I couldn't figure out what to put it as, and I guess I haven't pissed anyone off enough for a revenge avatar either. The new newbie Garbage-Dick avatar isn't as annoying as the stupid newbie one was at least.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Bajaha posted:

Haha, thanks, those are some quite generous compliments. And I'll be sure to take you up on the offer if I find myself in the area. I've actually always wanted a non-stupid newbie avatar but I couldn't figure out what to put it as, and I guess I haven't pissed anyone off enough for a revenge avatar either. The new newbie Garbage-Dick avatar isn't as annoying as the stupid newbie one was at least.
At least it isn't the creepy 'forum babby' one for me anymore.

That kid was creepy as gently caress.

Honestly some of those pics of the baja wouldn't make for bad avatars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh man, you were like 20 mins away from where I live. If you ever decide to take a trip back to the falls and feel like coming over the border to the land of expensive healthcare, let me know.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

'forum babby'

That kid was creepy as gently caress.

I think I blocked that image out of my mind. Somehow forgot about it.

KillHour posted:

Oh man, you were like 20 mins away from where I live. If you ever decide to take a trip back to the falls and feel like coming over the border to the land of expensive healthcare, let me know.

Sounds good, I keep having these almost encounters with goons, have to eventually actually take someone up on their offer to hang out next time I'm traveling.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Small update, Veloster finally got another radio/nav unit. Nav has been functioning for the past hour so far. Starting the clock to see when this one decides to be screwy.

Anyway, wen't through some old and newer pictures when I got tired of long study nights.

That's all for now.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Hyundai reliability:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK9foLgkAK4

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahajahahahahahahahahahjaja

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 31, 2015

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Bajaha posted:

Hyundai reliability: http://youtu.be/hK9foLgkAK4

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahajahahahahahahahahahjaja

Drive it through the front entrance of the dealership and say you were just following the GPS

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
When you mentioned you were looking for a new car, and wanted a Veloster I really wanted to tell you you were doing an huge mistake but seemed like your mind was set and on the odd chance you got lucky I would look like an idiot so I didn't say anything, I didn't check the thread for a while then just read it today to have updates on the baja and see your new car purchase was not satisfying for you, my now ex wife is working at hyundai/kia dealership and trust me when I tell you the veloster is a piece of poo poo, you should cut your losses asap and get rid of it, also the transmission will break.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If all goes well, we're in the process for dumping it. Started a claim with CAMVAP so the cogs are turning, our contact said it looks like we have a good case, so fingers crossed.

And contacted the the GM at the dealer asking for the owners contact info. Magically now they have decided to approve the dashboard replacement. :rolleyes:

So if the CAMVAP route proves fruitless they'll at least replace the most glaring thing they damaged, at which point we'll suffer through Hyundai ownership for another year or two until the loan isn't upside down and sell/trade it in for something not-Hyundai.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Nothing too exciting has happened with the Baja, but the Veloster is a treasure trove of fun times.

A few days after we filed the CAMVAP claim, the dealer wanted to once again tinker with the car, we politely told them we're awaiting a reply form CAMVAP and that we would like to hear from them before we book any more service in. Well, turns out they ran to the manufacturer and stated that we refused to have the issue repaired. The manufacturer replied back to CANVAP stating such and refuses to participate in arbitration based on that. GOOD JOB GUYS! Apparently almost a years worth of diagnostics and throwing radio's at the problem isn't enough for them. So alright, I'll let them try yet another fix, and I'm reopening another CAMVAP claim the second they are unable to repair the issue.

Trying to get in contact with the service department is near impossible too, keep getting voicemail boxes so left a message wit h the receptionist for them to give me a call back today. (It has usually taken them ~3 days to reply if I leave a voicemail, I want to get this circus show over with sooner rather than later)

And since text is pretty boring to read sometimes, here's some pretty pictures for you guys/girls to enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The photog nerd in me wants to know what you are shooting with?

• Locked thread