Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

senae posted:

legend of the shield hero is pretty good, and as a plus isn't quite as creepy as these tend to be

Yes it is. The main character's major threats are false rape accusations and he's highly likely to end up dating his underage surrogate daughter slave. Also this manga seems weirdly ok with slavery as long as the masters are nice. Well niceish.

I mean it has its moments but lack of creepiness is probably not one of its strong points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

Yes it is. The main character's major threats are false rape accusations and he's highly likely to end up dating his underage surrogate daughter slave. Also this manga seems weirdly ok with slavery as long as the masters are nice. Well niceish.

I mean it has its moments but lack of creepiness is probably not one of its strong points.

I didn't say not creepy, but in comparison to no game no life, or sao(I stopped after the second arc) or re:monster it's pretty tame.

The Gamer and log horizon are probably the least creepy options in this genre, and both have questionable stuff in them.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Soylentbits posted:

At least the latest chapter had him saying that he thinks of his companion as his daughter. I mean know that is just 100% fetish bait but at least in the story itself for the moment it's not overtly creepy.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ethiser posted:

At least the latest chapter had him saying that he thinks of his companion as his daughter. I mean know that is just 100% fetish bait but at least in the story itself for the moment it's not overtly creepy.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Most Gamer-like recent manga are major creepfest.

A few that aren't:
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/yuusha-gojo-kumiai-kouryuugata-keijiban-r12956
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/yureka-r101
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/12-prince-r102
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/mondaiji-tachi-ga-isekai-kara-kuru-sou-desu-yo-z-r8781 (this one i think begins after the anime, so it's a bit weird if you haven't seen it, or haven't read the LN).

None of them are in the exact same style as the Gamer (but Re:Monster, Only Sense, Tate no Shield, Mushoku Tensai aren't either), but at least they aren't incredibly bad.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
It's not manga but a korean LN but Legendary Moonlight Sculptor is relatively close to the premise of the gamer in that it's an MMO setting, has a main character who is obsessed with grinding things out and has almost no creep factor from what I remember. The fan translations are on and off in parts and it has about 21 volumes released so it should keep you busy for some time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Arkeus posted:

Most Gamer-like recent manga are major creepfest.

A few that aren't:
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/yuusha-gojo-kumiai-kouryuugata-keijiban-r12956

None of them are in the exact same style as the Gamer (but Re:Monster, Only Sense, Tate no Shield, Mushoku Tensai aren't either), but at least they aren't incredibly bad.

Oh my god, this is fantastic. This thread is the loving thread that loving delivers. :thumbsup:

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Yeah, so Shield Hero was a bit disappointingly on the creepy side. The story seemed good but it was just being derailed by all the weird slave stuff, which even if you ignored it, was throwing off the pacing of the actual story. Think I might give those non-creepy suggestions a go instead.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Yeah, I was kind-of, sort-of onboard with Shield Hero... right up until they removed the slave thing from the woman, and she got them to put it back on.

Nope, gently caress that. Nope. Nope!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone on here said Shield Hero's original LNs don't go for the "hero gets the hots for his younger partner" trope, and if it lets up on the slave branding shenanigans it's got potential if that's really the case

Hopefully I've not been terribly misdirected and this turns into a horrible School Days-esque mind-scarring switcheroo in a half dozen chapters, Shield Hero certainly isn't without fault, but it's still early on and it's got some good parts that don't involve age-jumping animal people slaves or false rape accusations, I like the idea of a protagonist being openly hated by pretty much the entire populace and having to scrape and claw his way through his journey, and is barely tolerated only because he's absolutely required by ~the prophecy~ and no more than that. I also like that he's just a total piece of poo poo most of the time, too.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 17, 2015

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone on here said Shield Hero's original LNs don't go for the "hero gets the hots for his younger partner" trope, and if it lets up on the slave branding shenanigans it's got potential if that's really the case

Hopefully I've not been terribly misdirected and this turns into a horrible School Days-esque mind-scarring switcheroo in a half dozen chapters, Shield Hero certainly isn't without fault, but it's still early on and it's got some good parts that don't involve age-jumping animal people slaves or false rape accusations, I like the idea of a protagonist being openly hated by pretty much the entire populace and having to scrape and claw his way through his journey, and is barely tolerated only because he's absolutely required by ~the prophecy~ and no more than that. I also like that he's just a total piece of poo poo most of the time, too.

Prepare for a rude awakening- Shield Hero is a vindicated/I got it all fantasy, not a "i am not the chosen one for once" fantasy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dude takes a paternal role so it's not that bad.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Arkeus posted:

Prepare for a rude awakening- Shield Hero is a vindicated/I got it all fantasy, not a "i am not the chosen one for once" fantasy.

I am on Chapter 1 and am not terribly impressed. :v: Should I just punch out now or...?

Edit: Yeah probably. I've got a poo poo ton of anime stuff to go through already.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 17, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Arkeus posted:

I figured it's going to end up that way. Right before the, "Please make me a slave again!" bullshit, you can already see two of the other heroes starting to come around. Maybe by the end, everyone will want to be a slave! That sure sounds fun, and not at all like something I'd despise.

It's so frustrating seeing someone take a simple, good idea, and about 20 pages in saying, "You know what? What if I just pack panels with the stupidest bullshit available?" That's why I like The Gamer so much. Yeah, it gets grindy as poo poo sometimes, but (so far) there's been no horrible racism, no weird-rear end fetish out of left field, no morally reprehensible topic tried to be shoehorned into "No, really, in this one particular instance it's actually a good thing!" Just a guy trying to be a stand-up dude, surrounded by people that are actually believable, and some good old-fashioned power-tripping.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
It's the highest order of Shonen-training sequence, but somehow that just makes the action all that more satisfying, the world is genuinely interesting (if you're a number hungry sperg) and the character likeable.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

I figured it's going to end up that way. Right before the, "Please make me a slave again!" bullshit, you can already see two of the other heroes starting to come around. Maybe by the end, everyone will want to be a slave! That sure sounds fun, and not at all like something I'd despise.

It's so frustrating seeing someone take a simple, good idea, and about 20 pages in saying, "You know what? What if I just pack panels with the stupidest bullshit available?" That's why I like The Gamer so much. Yeah, it gets grindy as poo poo sometimes, but (so far) there's been no horrible racism, no weird-rear end fetish out of left field, no morally reprehensible topic tried to be shoehorned into "No, really, in this one particular instance it's actually a good thing!" Just a guy trying to be a stand-up dude, surrounded by people that are actually believable, and some good old-fashioned power-tripping.

The characters around him also all have real motivations and characterization. Sun-Hil is the bestest bro. You can see how in each and every chapter he gets sadder and sadder as he looks at Jee Han. How what Jee Han is doing is gaining a power he can never forsake again. You can see how the 'woobie' is totally resigned to her fate but still looks solace in simple joys, and doesn't become enamoured with MC for not being a dick. Or how the Father is the protagonist of a "save your daughter" story (Nier anyone?), and so on and so forth.

It might be a complete grinding story, and even a honest complete grinding story, but it's also doing interactions right.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

shield hero is dumb

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Here's another one that isn't creepy yet: World Customize Creator

This one has the potential for political intrigue and military action, plus the protagonist getting summoned as a prophesied 'dark god of calamity' who may or may not eventually destroy the kingdoms of the world - not out of malice, but because they are racist (magicist?) shitholes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I flipped through the manga after reading the translated parts of the web novel, and it's actually kind of worse about things. I guess the art's good.

Shield Hero has a really embarrassing first part (basically a revenge fantasy with some decent "making a life in a fantasy world" bits mixed in), and then a long stretch of chapters where he founds a town. That part's actually better since he full on embraces being everyone's surrogate dad and is generally more heroic.

He never stops using slaves, which is really awkward. It was... kind of justifiable at the beginning, because it symbolized his complete loss of faith in others and his belief that the only things he could trust are people who could absolutely not disobey him, but even after he lightens up about things he just keeps going. The author tries to explain it as a game thing, but I don't see why the dude couldn't just unlock a shield that helped his party members as some kind of symbolic "learned to trust other people again" thing. It might be a really bad joke about how party members exist to serve the hero, but the other three heroes were in the same situation and didn't need slaves for a faithful and devoted party.

The romance is just awkward as hell. Even as late as chapter 222 out of like 360 he keeps pointing out the main girl is like mentally six, and every now and then he muses on if her behavior is a result of how he raised her. If it wasn't supposed to be romantic it might actually be funny ("hmmm maybe raising a girl by throwing her into battle and traveling the world making money wasn't the best idea") but it is and it's just :stonk:.

tl;dr Like 99% of LNs/WNs Shield Hero has some good parts that are buried under a wave of bad.

More importantly, The Gamer is cool and refreshingly non-creepy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well that's just unfortunate on the shield hero front. But at least this genre is so ridiculously pervasive that there's always some other similar series popping up that isn't as shameful.

And good lord, shield hero has over 200 chapters? I don't know what that translates to in the manga version, but I figured it was something relatively new.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Mygna posted:

Here's another one that isn't creepy yet: World Customize Creator

This one has the potential for political intrigue and military action, plus the protagonist getting summoned as a prophesied 'dark god of calamity' who may or may not eventually destroy the kingdoms of the world - not out of malice, but because they are racist (magicist?) shitholes.

This is a good manga. It's not creepy yet and it has something interesting going on.

Too bad it only updates once a month. This one is totally going to die out before it finishes. :sigh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One thing I've seen in only sense and a couple other places is certain builds being reviled as useless, which is just plain silly. Like, no one ever bothers leveling crafting jobs because the combat jobs are more popular? Even lovely crafting systems end up having obsessive weirdos who max them at an inhuman rate. That goes for seemingly useless combat skills, too. The basic premise of shield hero makes no sense, either. Gamers don't value tanks, and tanks are categorically unable to do damage? Might as well claim that healers are garbage, too.

I kind of get the feeling that a lot of writers who jump on this particular bandwagon haven't ever really played mmo's before. Oh well, at least The Gamer continues to be great.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
A non-creepy grind manga is A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Log, where the dude spends about as much time experimenting with crafting as he is grinding. Very slice of lifey, kind of a comfy ride.
Sadly it only has 6 chapters before /ak/ forgot abo- wait the wiki says the next one will be out the 23rd. Co- wait not it's just the raws. Still, it's something.
It has that problem Frolicking described where everybody's super dumb about how MMOs work but it seems the author did it on purpose for whatever reason.

Captain Invictus posted:

Well that's just unfortunate on the shield hero front. But at least this genre is so ridiculously pervasive that there's always some other similar series popping up that isn't as shameful.

And good lord, shield hero has over 200 chapters? I don't know what that translates to in the manga version, but I figured it was something relatively new.
The web novel is actually over from what I recall of what I've read in /a/.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 17, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I thought the slave brand thing in Shield Hero was because the shield hero guy used it in creative ways like making the raccoon girl or whatever fight monsters/enemies she was too afraid to fight, but could totally 100% own the poo poo out of if she did?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 18, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Fabricated posted:

I thought the slave brand thing in Shield Hero was because the shield hero guy used it in creative ways like making the raccoon girl or whatever fight monsters/enemies she was too afraid to fight, but could totally 100% own the poo poo out of if she did?

Slavery is only ethical when it's used to compel child soldiers to kill things.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you see it's okay that she's his slave because he knows what's good for her better than she does

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here is my three page treatise on the similarities between Shield Hero and the use of child soldiers in African wars,

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think mayhaps people are taking anime a tad too seriously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Women are evil, but children who are compelled into obedience are perfectly fine!

I wasn't sure about shield hero at first, but the more I think about it the creepier it becomes. Stop making excuses for the pedophile manifesto.

But hey, at least The Gamer is still good. How 'bout that Gnome, huh? I hope Jee-Han has her smack a few dudes with comically large bludgeons!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I hope she gets to the point where she orders around the mumble jumble golems like a final boss' right hand minion.

On the factor of slavery in Shield Hero, yeah later on the author seems to get the creepiness and tries to include characters outside of the two archetypes.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Soylentbits posted:

Yes it is. The main character's major threats are false rape accusations and he's highly likely to end up dating his underage surrogate daughter slave.

This is unfair. I can assure you that 222+ web chapters in, this has not occurred.

Soylentbits posted:

Also this manga seems weirdly ok with slavery as long as the masters are nice. Well niceish.

That's a fair criticism and does continue.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The epilogue's already been translated and yes he totally does.

It's a total shame too because "everyone's paternal figure plays Santa Claus" should be an amazing story.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 18, 2015

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Fabricated posted:

I think mayhaps people are taking anime a tad too seriously.

The thing they are talking about, is bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a total shame too because "everyone's paternal figure plays Santa Claus" should be an amazing story.

Haha, well that's a trainwreck

A Usagi Drop ending but with the core of the series being mediocre at best to begin with instead of really great and then being retroactively ruined

I rescind any defense of the series I had

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 18, 2015

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Captain Invictus posted:

A Usagi Drop ending but with the core of the series being mediocre at best to begin with instead of really great and then being retroactively ruined

Japan. They do this poo poo all the time. It's not just anime either. I've seen completely normal, non-anime, non-otaku marketed literary fiction swerve into it. I assume it's Genji's fault, but I don't know for sure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yes it's Genji's fault

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

BlitzBlast posted:

Sigh. There were so many *good* ways to go too ...

I was really hoping that in the end he was going to wind up forcibly dismantling the whole system somehow.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
It's the icing on the cake of the totally-not-a-chocobo turning into a little girl in love with the MC and the MC's heavy use of slavery.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Another good (so far) Gamer-style manga http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/tsuyokute-new-saga-r12329

Basic premise is that in a Dragon Quest-like world the hero defeats the Demon King, but only after some really bad poo poo went down (everyone the hero cared about died, along with several million people), and the hero stumbles upon a magic item which sends him back in time some five years, before the war even started, and he decides to "game" the system by using his knowledge of events to come to ensure a better ending for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Just off the description, I'm going to guess that the Demon King was the first person to use that artifact, and in fact his demon campaign was some kind of pre-revenge for the bullshit that the people Hero saves are going to pull when they're not being murdered.

Don't tell me if I'm right or not, though, I do still want to read it. :v: