Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

memories :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

how are you getting the forums to render properly, lol

sorry i missed this. i was using classilla. now im on the same machine, but shamefully osx. its a pretty bitchin machine, dual 1.25 g4 with 2gb ram. was playing tony hawk's pro skater 2 recently. might fire up droidworks here in a bit

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2kWyqdxOI

LOL @ Mac clones nearly killing Apple. LOL @ pre-Jobs-return Apple CEOs trying to cargo cult the PC's success.

Just LOL my loving rear end off at 1990-1998 Apple.

(I typed this on my 2011 iMac that is still suiting the hell out of my needs 3.5 years later, thx Steve Jobs, Timmy Cook, and Jonnnnnny Ive)

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 13, 2015

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

without steve we would be lost

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Doc Block posted:

LOL @ Mac clones nearly killing Apple. LOL @ pre-Jobs-return Apple CEOs trying to cargo cult the PC's success.

(I typed this on my 2011 iMac that is still suiting the hell out of my needs 3.5 years later, thx Steve Jobs, Timmy Cook, and Jonnnnnny Ive)

this thread is not for you, please make your own thread to talk about these matters

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You misunderstand me. My first Mac was a Mac SE/30. I used a bunch of Macs throughout the 90s.

Personal computers in general were pretty lovely up until the late 90s/early 2000s.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

could you set up some sort of proxy that read the page then mashes it into something that would render in IE 3?

i'm thinking like the opera browser that did something similar for feature phones

http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=3910

it's pretty much that, proxy service that renders web pages into GIF images associated with a clickable imagemap of the original web links. if ur compute is hella old render to something other than .gif

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://systemfolder.wordpress.com/2015/01/17/about-box/

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

norton disk doctor :allears:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my first internet and IRC experiences were on a friend's mom's powermac in the mid-90s

Doc Block posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2kWyqdxOI

what's even more lol than the fixation on CISC is that, if you look in the right (wrong) places, there are still nerds who are incredibly bitter about how that played out

like i ran into a guy about two years ago who still literally thought Apple should have stuck with PowerPC.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

remember when jobs announced 1Ghz G4s at macworld then motorola couldn't actually deliver and everyone got 800Mhz versions instead for like 6 months

that's when you knew apple/motorola was gonna end. making jobs look like a fool onstage.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sudo Echo posted:

remember when jobs announced 1Ghz G4s at macworld then motorola couldn't actually deliver and everyone got 800Mhz versions instead for like 6 months

that's when you knew apple/motorola was gonna end. making jobs look like a fool onstage.

and then it happened to ibm. after that they quit promising anything more than what they were ready to ship lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sudo Echo posted:

you're conflating two separate events

the original G4 towers were supposed to be 400/450/500 MHz but whoops motorola sucks and it turned out they could only pull off 350/400/450

the second one was when IBM promised 3GHz G5s but they could only get to 2.8 GHz (or something, i forget) with water cooling

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the original G4 towers were supposed to be 400/450/500 MHz but whoops motorola sucks and it turned out they could only pull off 350/400/450

the second one was when IBM promised 3GHz G5s but they could only get to 2.8 GHz (or something, i forget) with water cooling

oh yeah you're right, i was just thinking of the first thing but hosed up the speeds. its been a while.

those water cooled g5s were a total joke tho. failed seals everywhere.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sudo Echo posted:

oh yeah you're right, i was just thinking of the first thing but hosed up the speeds. its been a while.

those water cooled g5s were a total joke tho. failed seals everywhere.

i only remember dumb poo poo like this and not actually useful information that would help with my job, heh

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i only remember dumb poo poo like this and not actually useful information that would help with my job, heh

didn't you post in the old sh/sc mac megathread?

rip #onebutan

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wasn't there some sony vaio tower monstrosity that shipped with liquid cooling? idk

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

also how they could never get G5 down to where it could be put into a powerbook

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
very carefully

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ironically enough IBM got the g3 series (750 and later) down to some ultra low power versions at around 1 ghz that were great for embedded solutions

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah they continue to make the cpus, just for servers now

they're on like power 8 or something

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

drat i was sure i had a photoshop 1.0 floppy somewhere but i cant find it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I had a G4 tower (sawtooth) but I gave it away in 2006 because I don't need useless junk taking up space

it was cool though

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

Silver Alicorn posted:

I don't need useless junk taking up space

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i still have my 450mhz blue & white g3 tower. :negative:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Elder Postsman posted:

i still have my 450mhz blue & white g3 tower. :negative:

same

at some point i overclocked it to 500mhz and put fans on it, that was stupid. now i have a g4 so the g3 just sits

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

carry on then posted:

yeah they continue to make the cpus, just for servers now

they're on like power 8 or something

yeah a buddy of mine designs parts of those at the ibm campus in north austin

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

kwinkles posted:

yeah a buddy of mine designs parts of those at the ibm campus in north austin

sametime me

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

ironically enough IBM got the g3 series (750 and later) down to some ultra low power versions at around 1 ghz that were great for embedded solutions

yeah didn't the G3 debut in laptop and desktop simultaneously? it was a great chip

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.
i scanned the covers of my MacAddict cds and made isos of everything for yosmas

1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

57Hz posted:

:eyepop:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

57Hz posted:

:allears:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

57Hz posted:

you are a beautiful person

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

ahaha i forgot about iham on irye

looking good, 10.1

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

also these discs reminded me that once i won a free copy of the very first medal of honor game from macaddict :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a letter to the editor published in a MacAddict.

No I am not telling you how to find it.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

57Hz posted:

wow i have a bunch of those 98-2000 ones in a box here still.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

im watchin "kate and leopold", a sort of cute meg ryan movie that is like every other meg ryan movie, anyway it is totally full of pre-9/11 mac references

like seriously loaded

the guy talks about "a hacker friend here for the mac expo at the javitz center" and then meg ryan asks as a trick question "how my ram do i need in my g5 to run mac os 9.6?" (this is before g5s existed) and at meg ryan's office i have spotted a shitload of g4 towers w/ original cinema displays and gumdrop imacs and at least one titanium powerbook, and it's only 33 minutes in

e: dude has a performa or something? maybe a pre-jonny power mac g3?

e: and an older tek oscilloscope that he leaves running on his shelf for some reason, and he has a minox camera. lotsa neat technology

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 21, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Old Macs are loving worthless junk. They sucked rear end back then, and they suck rear end now. Gas this thread - and also every Old Mac should be tossed into the gas chamber too - but get this - with their little bitch boy aficionados still attached to their keyboards :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
"the computers thatc ant run games and my teachers think are cool are totally awesome, i want one at home" -some insanely boring teetotaler who got wedgies every day growing up for being an insufferable little human being, and who gets pissed on and rolled over by alpha sales bros as an adult

• Locked thread