Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Null Integer posted:

Yea, but your arguing against mot. It's like a deck seaman arguing against the chief quarters for being late because totally there is an instruction that says you can be UP TO 15 minutes late if the gate is busy and the MA says it's okay.

~*secret billet list*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Analogical posted:

I think the LCS is pretty neato. It's like a modular ship run by AI right?

guys?

right?

ships are made of metal.

Dunno why it took so long to get rid of the twelve dudes on the bridge and drive it with a joystick jockey

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Laranzu posted:

Dunno why it took so long to get rid of the twelve dudes on the bridge and drive it with a joystick jockey

Because even with 12 dudes on the bridge they still manage to run into poo poo in the middle of the ocean.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Laranzu posted:

"Because that's the way we've always done it." :chiefsay:

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

ManMythLegend posted:

"Because that's the way we've always done it." :chiefsay:

I think literally every single time I have ever heard anyone say this throughout my career, I have instantly written them off in my mind as a complete and total loving waste of time/space/life/air.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

buttplug posted:

I think literally every single time I have ever heard anyone say this throughout my career, I have instantly written them off in my mind as a complete and total loving waste of time/space/life/air.

Samesies.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Anyone in San Diego? I'll be there for two weeks in May.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sup

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I served on a Ticonderoga class Cruiser before and after the cruiser mods and I thought it was a p cool ship.

We would moor right next to Freedom...I don't think it ever actually moved.

And that's all the thought I ever gave to an LCS.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

I usually just stare at them blankly until they acknowledge their mistake, or give up and ask why I think the answer is unacceptable.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
gently caress ships, im glad ill never be on one and i dont give a gently caress about "your" gay navy

edit: also, boon i owe you poo poo, but gently caress man this one is hard to pull off. when im not working 14 hour days im drunk ice fishing up north.

PS: im drunk ice fishing up north, gently caress haters

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 18, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

gently caress ships, im glad ill never be on one and i dont give a gently caress about "your" gay navy

I'm well on my way to never being on a ship again if i can help it, got a shore tour as an instructor conus, then I have no loving clue what I'm gonna do, probably get out and suck up GI bill money.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Hit my year mark, then time to drain GI bill money. There's comfort in not knowing any of your ship stuff. Shore warriors, CONUS force for good.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

Hit my year mark, then time to drain GI bill money. There's comfort in not knowing any of your ship stuff. Shore warriors, CONUS force for good.

I thought you were over a year?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CMD598 posted:

I thought you were over a year?

Panda is so wise in the ways of the Navy and advancement that it makes his time in rate appear much longer than it really is.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Anyone in the DC/Baltimore area have any recommendations for food/drink? I've got today and tomorrow off and I want to take my delicate self out for some pampering.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Analogical posted:

Anyone in the DC/Baltimore area have any recommendations for food/drink? I've got today and tomorrow off and I want to take my delicate self out for some pampering.

You're in the Navy so here's some fine dining.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Dingleberry posted:

You're in the Navy so here's some fine dining.

is that an order, sir? :911:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Analogical posted:

is that an order, sir? :911:

For rizzle dizzle tho'

It's DC. Eat ethnic. Lebanese food there is on point.

Lebanese Taverna used to be good, haven't been in a while.

Or get some stewed goat, foo-foo, and Palm wine. Delicious if you like spicey food.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Lebanese Taverna is good.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I actually had Lebanese food last night courtesy this place near me in Arlington. Are there any good established bar scenes? I've been to the east market area, the expensive sideshow crap next to Verizon Center (Denson's was pretty good imo tho) and once with some friends I was somewhere else that had a minigolf bar upstairs. I'm too drunk to recall the name of that location. E Street? Who knows.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Depends on what you're looking for, here are a couple suggestions:

Sushi:
Sushi Tendou in Fulton -- 8194 Westside Boulevard
Fulton, MD 20759

Indian:
Royal Taj in Columbia -- 8874 McGaw Road
Columbia, MD 21045

Chinese (fusion):
Grace Garden in Odenton -- 1690 Annapolis Road
Odenton, MD 21113

American-style fare (oldest restaurant in DC)
Old Ebbitt Grill in DC -- 675 15th Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20005

Middle Eastern places are a dime a dozen. There's a pretty good Turkish restaurant in DC as well - Zatinya -- 701 9th Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20001 (is a bit pricey)

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Bars-wise go to Adams Morgan. Generally the "young professional" crowd. Lots of douchebag guys, so just don't be one and you'll take a chick home pretty easily (if that's what you're looking for). U street is pretty good as well. Koreatown (near the Verizon Center) has a couple nice spots.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

buttplug posted:

Bars-wise go to Adams Morgan. Generally the "young professional" crowd. Lots of douchebag guys, so just don't be one and you'll take a chick home pretty easily (if that's what you're looking for). U street is pretty good as well. Koreatown (near the Verizon Center) has a couple nice spots.

If you never want to get a cab home, go to Adams Morgan.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

If you never want to get a cab home, go to Adams Morgan.

Honestly? I live in Columbia. If I am going to DC I will get a hotel. It's barely more than the cost of an Uber both ways and it's more convenient than bringing a chick all the way back to my house (because then you have that 30-minute ride to sober up) as opposed to the Hilton for 130$/night (plus I have HHonors). *shrugs*

Mind you, I don't go out to DC every weekend, either. Maybe once a month? I'm in the middle of cranking out two master's degrees at the same time...

edit: but for someone who is only going to be in DC for a weekend or two its pretty neat.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I live down in Arlington but I never have enough time off to go into DC working 6/1s. I had to commute to Hanover every day this last week and it made me want to kill myself on a daily basis to commute an hour and a half before and after work. I've spent over 400 days in a hilton hotel in the past two years, with the total points in addition to double point promotions I never have to pay for a hotel again.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

I live down in Arlington but I never have enough time off to go into DC working 6/1s. I had to commute to Hanover every day this last week and it made me want to kill myself on a daily basis to commute an hour and a half before and after work. I've spent over 400 days in a hilton hotel in the past two years, with the total points in addition to double point promotions I never have to pay for a hotel again.

Well, do you typically work out at Hanover or are you at Meade? I don't envy your drive from Arlington every day..

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
!DC is so full of amazing food and drink (though expensive). Honestly, open Yelp! and just go wherever.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
hey! im the dumb gay gip goon you talk to on lync. im not actually in town right now but if you ever want to hang out at night i can only recommend honey pig or taco bell (cuz those are the only fuckers open)

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Don't go to Honey Pig, it's loving poo poo. Go to Shin-Chon in Ellicot City.

Also sir lucius when are you moving off the graveyard shift?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I talk to like five goons on lync you joker. But I know who you are, next time I'm up at Meade should be next week to sit in ops for 12 hours because ~COOP~. I'll see if you're around to get honey pig. I like HP down here in VA, but I've also heard about Shin-Chon.

BP: Meade, but I like to sound cagey.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

I talk to like five goons on lync you joker. But I know who you are, next time I'm up at Meade should be next week to sit in ops for 12 hours because ~COOP~. I'll see if you're around to get honey pig. I like HP down here in VA, but I've also heard about Shin-Chon.

BP: Meade, but I like to sound cagey.

HP is good if you go to the one in Annandale, the other two I've been to sucked (stale side dishes) and generally tried to rush you through the meal. I'm a bit bias though because I just spent 3 years in Korea. But yea, Shin-Chon is good times.

I also work at Meade [at the moment...I rotate]...I'm on the floor above sir lucius.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Shoot me a lync. Lucius has my info. I work down here but I frequently go up to the mothership with my beard and civilian clothes to first name nobles who never knew I was a serf. I'm working on moving into your building in the next year unless my community can offer me something like Russian. A friend of mine just got orders to go learn French though. I have a hard time turning down free forced proficiency in new languages seeing as I can computers all day long but will never get off rear end and learn something like Russian in my freetime successfully.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I almost never catch sir lucius on lync because he works weird hours. Email me at m0tbaillie@gmail.com and I'll give you my sid.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know how leave buy-back works? I've heard it's half of basepay, but everything I've researched says full base pay...

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boon posted:

Anyone know how leave buy-back works? I've heard it's half of basepay, but everything I've researched says full base pay...

It's full base pay, no allowances.

Do not sell your leave back unless you have literally no other option, as selling it back is the worst choice you can make.

Going on leave, you get all of your allowances along with your pay while on leave, it makes you considerably more money, several thousand dollars per month usually.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

orange juche posted:

It's full base pay, no allowances.

Do not sell your leave back unless you have literally no other option, as selling it back is the worst choice you can make.

Going on leave, you get all of your allowances along with your pay while on leave, it makes you considerably more money, several thousand dollars per month usually.

Thanks.

I think I'm one of the few exceptions to that policy. As an Officer, the detailers will have to approve my resignation date. My PRD is October and they aren't extending SWO shore tours (SWO sucks so much that they have to bring in a ton of ENS to get the Dept Head numbers they need - most roll to shore before getting out). For GI Bill reasons I'm submitting my resignation for January since I was a December grad. Talking to the detailer, that's the most they'll grant me.

My current job is actually really awesome, so I don't mind staying up to about the last month, especially because December is really chill. Since resignation orders are written by month and not a specific date I plan to take terminal for the entire month of January and then officially leave service on the 31st to take advantage of a full paycheck. That extra 30 days I can sell back for money which is entirely bonus.

I don't need the time for job hunting because I'll be heading to grad school that year - I may take a reserve billet ~6 months, or I may just take some lovely job that I won't mind quitting in 6 months time.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 20, 2015

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Boon posted:

Thanks.

I think I'm one of the few exceptions to that policy. As an Officer, the detailers will have to approve my resignation date. My PRD is October and they aren't extending SWO shore tours (SWO sucks so much that they have to bring in a ton of ENS to get the Dept Head numbers they need - most roll to shore before getting out). For GI Bill reasons I'm submitting my resignation for January since I was a December grad. Talking to the detailer, that's the most they'll grant me.

My current job is actually really awesome, so I don't mind staying up to about the last month, especially because December is really chill. Since resignation orders are written by month and not a specific date I plan to take terminal for the entire month of January and then officially leave service on the 31st to take advantage of a full paycheck. That extra 30 days I can sell back for money which is entirely bonus.

I don't need the time for job hunting because I'll be heading to grad school that year - I may take a reserve billet ~6 months, or I may just take some lovely job that I won't mind quitting in 6 months time.

A coworker of mine that taught department head school at Newport was by his CO that it takes 200 ensigns to make one department head. To me that seems like a pretty bad attrition rate.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Seqenenra posted:

A coworker of mine that taught department head school at Newport was by his CO that it takes 200 ensigns to make one department head. To me that seems like a pretty bad attrition rate.

It's not thaaaaaaaat bad.

It's still bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

It's not thaaaaaaaat bad.

It's still bad though.

Only the most retarded stay in, eh MML?

• Locked thread