Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm a big fan of Beagle's work, but I tend to hit the highlight reel. When I'm watching the Long War Live & Impossible youtube series, I can play at double speed and keep things moving quickly, but that's not an option in the Twitch archives. So, I have a request - can anyone link me to the video with that 57 health berserker in it and gimme a timestamp so I can laugh at Beagle's pain and revel in his victory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ulmont posted:

So for Long War, should I just retrain my reflexes and always fall back rather than advancing? So far I'm like 0-5 on "alerting another loving 4 Sectoids" when I was trying to "flank the aliens immediately in front of me" since my rookies can't hit anything.

Watch Beagle for good pointers on what to (and sometimes not to) do. I always arrange my squad into two teams on the setup screen - the first is the Command Team, that one has your Infantry, Gunner, Rocketeer, etc. The other is the Flanking Team, which has your Assault, Engineer, maybe the Medic, and your secondary Infantry, usually no more than 3 people. The Scout goes with either team, you usually play it by ear, but in general the Scout is at the front of the Command Team because they're activating pods or running Overwatches.

Command Team will push forward along your main attack vector while the Flanking Team will swing out towards the map edge and stay at far visual range, about 10 spaces. When you aggro a group, the Command Team holds position or falls back to bait them while the Flanking Team swings in from the side... I usually open with the Engineer or Rocketeer to soften them up or take out heavy cover, and then I rip them apart with crossfire.

The Assault and the Scout, both with the shotguns, always move in LAST... Gunner is second to last, unless you're Flushing. This is super important and something I notice Beagle often doesn't do, and it often gets him into trouble... The reason you do it that way is that those three are your damage control if the rest of your team rolls like poo poo, plus you need a really good sense of the Engagement Zone before your Scout and Assault get right in there and could end up exposed. Gunner is your other backup to Suppress any Overwatch or that one Xray that you know your shotguns can't drop.

That methodology will take you through the first few months pretty solidly, I'm finding. Don't ever rush the meld unless you know it's safe, you will get more than enough missions to have a nice stockpile when you need it... I'm in late April on my current Classic game and I already have 150ish Meld.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I have a team again! Took 5 rookies to the first terror mission, got pretty hairy after triggering enemies on the very first move but survived 3 Chryssalids, a zombie and about 6 Floaters to make it out with only one death, ten saved civvies, a no-longer hysterical France and four promotions! That was intense as gently caress.

The last Floater properly mugged me off, though. Kept hearing chittering from a big building next door, almost had my breach set up and the fucker popped out the other side and got a flanking kill on one of my rookies, but they're cheap.

e: Abductions the next day, two very difficults for scientists and a moderate for money. Going for the money like a wimp.
e2: Pays off! I had a map I hate, the offices with the fountain where I always get rushed and pinned down. The rookie I took will be a Sniper when they get out of the infirmary but otherwise we took no hits and managed to roll a very hard six when running my assault out of cover to kill the last Floater with run and gun at 62%.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

LowellDND posted:

If I want to kludge together Tactical Rigging as early as possible, does this read right?

FoundryBalance=(eTech=eFoundry_TacticalRigging, iTime=21, iEngineers=60, iCash=500, iElerium=0, iAlloys=0, iFragments=50, iNumItems=20, eReqTech=eTech_AutopsyMutonElite,eReqItem=0)

change to

FoundryBalance=(eTech=eFoundry_TacticalRigging, iTime=1, iEngineers=10, iCash=100, iElerium=0, iAlloys=0, iFragments=0, iNumItems=0, eReqTech=eTech_Xenobiology,eReqItem=0)

Kludge worked. Huzzuh! The little window says it costs 0x weapon fragments and 0x muton elites, but I'll deal.

My current project is making the arc thrower into a standard pistol. Ive gotten it into the pistol slot fine, but am having some other problems. It doesn't show up in the pistol switch (theres no graphic for it like there is for a gauss pistol or whatever), but I guess I can tolerate that. I fired it at a two health muton at range (84% hit) and did one damage, but no stun, which was odd.

I changed

Weapons=( strName="", iType=eItem_ArcThrower, ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_ShotStun, ABILITIES[1]=0, ABILITIES[2]=0, ABILITIES[3]=0, ABILITIES[4]=0, ABILITIES[5]=0, Properties[0]=eWP_AnyClass, Properties[1]=eWP_NoReload, Properties[2]=eWP_CantReact, Properties[3]=eWP_Secondary, Properties[4]=eWP_Backpack, Properties[5]=0, iDamage=0, iEnvironmentDamage=0, iRange=27, iReactionRange=30, iReactionAngle=200, iRadius=0, iCritical=0, iOffenseBonus=0, iSuppression=0, iSize=eItemSize_Small, iHPBonus=0, iWillBonus=0 )

To

Weapons=( strName="", iType=eItem_ArcThrower, ABILITIES[0]=eAbility_ShotStun, ABILITIES[1]=Ability_ShotStandard, ABILITIES[2]=0, ABILITIES[3]=0, ABILITIES[4]=0, ABILITIES[5]=0, Properties[0]=eWP_AnyClass, Properties[1]=eWP_Backpack, Properties[2]=eWP_CantReact, Properties[3]=eWP_Secondary, Properties[4]=0, Properties[5]=0, iDamage=0, iEnvironmentDamage=0, iRange=27, iReactionRange=30, iReactionAngle=200, iRadius=0, iCritical=0, iOffenseBonus=0, iSuppression=0, iSize=eItemSize_Small, iHPBonus=0, iWillBonus=0 )

and added

Itembalance_Normal=(eItem=eItem_ArcThrower, iCash=100, iElerium=0, iAlloys=94000, iTime=10, iEng=20)

Any suggestions?

(drawing on http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Mods_(Long_War)#XCOM_Unit_Modifications for ideas)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Long War needs to mod the stun launcher back in.

Or after you have a certain number of autopsies some sort of tranquilizer dart strike rifle. That'd work, too.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I'm a big fan of Beagle's work, but I tend to hit the highlight reel. When I'm watching the Long War Live & Impossible youtube series, I can play at double speed and keep things moving quickly, but that's not an option in the Twitch archives. So, I have a request - can anyone link me to the video with that 57 health berserker in it and gimme a timestamp so I can laugh at Beagle's pain and revel in his victory?

Here you go. It's a long one. As for his "victory"... well, you'll see.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just built my first MAC soldier, and the flamethrower saved me from what would have been a nasty slaughter.

I had downed a large UFO and my team was swooping in, popping off Floaters without a hitch. Then I triggered a group of 3 Mutons in a tight hallway.
My MEC strolled up and lit their asses on fire. The panic it caused gave me a chance to finish them off before they could attack the rest of my soldiers. Thanks Mr MEC!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Are long war patches backwards compatible with saves made on older versions?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

NeoSeeker posted:

Are long war patches backwards compatible with saves made on older versions?

I think the current betas don't work with anything earlier than beta 10, but even amongst the 14, you have changes to perk selections that unbalance troops one way or the other if you have selections made already.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Would the current build be the one with all the nice changes or would it be better just to wait?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Does anyone know how Covering Fire and Reactive Targeting Sensors interact?

I'm wondering how the game handles when an alien takes a shot at an Overwatch unit with both perks. Does the unit get two return shots, one for Covering Fire and one for Targeting Sensors? Does it get one shot for Targeting Sensors and still have all of its Overwatch shots remaining? Or does the return shot use up both an Overwatch shot and the Targeting Sensors shot?

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008

fspades posted:

Hahaha, this is fantastic

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Fuzz posted:

I'm coming up on Portent in my current Classic game, and getting scared. That Supply Ship mission I posted about earlier was a clusterfuck, but somehow I survived it without a single fatality. 100% casualties, which may in some ways be worse, but still.
End count for MONTH 1 Supply Ship:

1x3 Seekers
2x4 and 2x3 Floaters, 14 total
1x4 Sectoids, 6 total (1 mixed group)
2x3 Drones, 8 total (1 mixed group)
1x3 and 1x4 Thin Men, 7 total
1x7 Outsiders

Wow you are even better than Beagle!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Filthy Lucre posted:

Does anyone know how Covering Fire and Reactive Targeting Sensors interact?

I'm wondering how the game handles when an alien takes a shot at an Overwatch unit with both perks. Does the unit get two return shots, one for Covering Fire and one for Targeting Sensors? Does it get one shot for Targeting Sensors and still have all of its Overwatch shots remaining? Or does the return shot use up both an Overwatch shot and the Targeting Sensors shot?
Covering fire triggers before the shot and targeting sensors after. So, iirc, you'd get cf activated, alien fires if it lives, targeting sensors fire, and then if you're still on overwatch though rapid reaction or sentinel, you'd have the number of overwatch shots remaining as if you'd only taken the cf shot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Decrepus posted:

Wow you are even better than Beagle!

No I'm not, I'm playing on Classic, not Impossible, and the game didn't screw me by putting the Outsider pod right on the middle of the ship. Honestly, I have no loving clue how no one died, I was super lucky on multiple enemy shots and just never got hit for big damage that could have killed me. I also had a Medic packing 3 charges plus another medkit on my Infantry, and I used up every drat one to keep everyone in the fight.

I dunno, I feel like part of a successful a Supply Ship raid is to actually split your forces as you go up the spine if only so each team has an avenue of retreat available while the other team distracts and pushes back.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

fspades posted:

Aw yes, thanks!

edit: That was loving great

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 18, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Is 2016 a leap year in XCOM? In other words if it's the 28th of Feb and I desperately need to get some people back from <24 hour fatigue, I can use them for a base assault before the end of the month since it has 29 days?

Edit: I went ahead trusting it's 29 days and indeed in 2016, February has 29 days in XCOM as well.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 17, 2015

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
EXALT's dance commander has issued me a challenge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJnRwgiwfs&hd=1

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

Would the current build be the one with all the nice changes or would it be better just to wait?

Well Beagle said that the B15 changes will be buggy with B14 saves, mostly because the big change is that it remakes the whole starting continent system, so you choose countries instead.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

NuttO posted:

That's some loving parkour poo poo right there.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have any tips for the base defense mission in Vanilla (Classic/Ironman)? I have tried about a dozen or so times, and i cannot for the life of me beat it. Right after the alien base assault mission i went and decked out all of my guys who are not part of my A-team in exalt laser weapons/some extra carapace armour etc.

Anyways most of my best guys are wounded leaving on two members of my A-team and a bunch of people from B-team. But at some point i must have hit "make items avaliable" because everyone is rocking starting gear.

The first few waves when you are in the starting room are basically the point where i can't beat it. The first wave i get:

2 x Mechtoids
1 x Sectoid Commander
2 x Muton Berzerkers
2-3 x Mutons

If i can survive that then i just get annihilated by the 5+ cyberdisks that attack the back of the base. While i slowly pick apart the cyberdisks the next wave behind us spawns bringing two more mechatoids, and i simply cannot get past that part. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

How do I change the name file? I followed the instructions here http://daiz.io/xcom-namegen/ but its not working for me.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

NuttO posted:

Hey guys check out my Zoidburg impression!

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Can anyone tell me how mind meld and mind control work for you own soldiers? Does mind meld last between turns and can the psi soldier take actions while merged with another (I know sectoids can, but it seems really powerful for your own troops to be able to do)? Do MCd aliens get actions on the same turn you MC them (if not, it feels like their buddies would take them out straight away)?

vCheersv

Morton Salt Grrl fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 18, 2015

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Teddles posted:

Can anyone tell me how mind meld and mind control work for you own soldiers? Does mind meld last between turns and can the psi soldier take actions while merged with another (I know sectoids can, but it seems really powerful for your own troops to be able to do)? Do MCd aliens get actions on the same turn you MC them (if not, it feels like their buddies would take them out straight away)?

Mind Merge lasts through the enemy turn, and using it counts as a full action for the operative performing it. Mind Controlled aliens don't get an action until your next turn.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

In a moment of humor, I destroyed the Exalt base before I did any psi/mec/gene mods.

So now Im spending a massive store of wealth on building death commandos for the Temple Assault :D

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Bholder posted:

Well Beagle said that the B15 changes will be buggy with B14 saves, mostly because the big change is that it remakes the whole starting continent system, so you choose countries instead.

Does it really affect classes or anything in any way? Otherwise I'm sticking with 14.

I really don't want to gently caress up a save I've already poured hours into, and plan on pouring probably the most time I will have ever spent on a video game.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Gonna start a new campaign with the Goon namelist posted earlier in the thread along with some dgc.ini tweaks :getin:

Tried it out on the first mission a few times, seems good. But good lord is cinematic mode a gigantic boost to aim I was not expecting to lose. an extra +15 aim is nothing to sneeze at.

My current campaign is kinda just getting tedious and grindy and I stopped after I feel like losing interest due to realizing that I was falling behind, first campaign and didn't really plan ahead and so forth.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sober posted:

Gonna start a new campaign with the Goon namelist posted earlier in the thread along with some dgc.ini tweaks :getin:

Tried it out on the first mission a few times, seems good. But good lord is cinematic mode a gigantic boost to aim I was not expecting to lose. an extra +15 aim is nothing to sneeze at.

My current campaign is kinda just getting tedious and grindy and I stopped after I feel like losing interest due to realizing that I was falling behind, first campaign and didn't really plan ahead and so forth.

How did you get the name thing to work? I'm still trying different things with my own name list.

In other news, I'm in a mellow grind myself. Ive cleared exalt and can stomp most anything the computer can throw at me. I basically just let terror missions through in North America, rebuild the sats, and do fortress assaults for farming. I've gotten up to MEC-1s and pulse lances, and am slowly plugging my A-team into the gene melds.

As expected, I have no idea how to use MECs. I just march them around till they get 90% injured, then I pull them off the line and let my normal troops wrap up. Im currently scrapping all my labs for workshops so I can upgrade faster. At the moment, Im thinking

Pathfinder - pulse lance, flame, fist, grenade
Archer - pulse lance, flame, fist, grenade
Shogun - pulse lance, flame, fist, mine

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

NeoSeeker posted:

Does it really affect classes or anything in any way? Otherwise I'm sticking with 14.

Lots of tweaks and balances, and it sounds like MEC classes are getting major skill-tree renovations. B15 is another game-changer, like the upgrade from 13 to 14 was. You can't really expect to upgrade mid-campaign without it breaking something.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

LowellDND posted:

How did you get the name thing to work? I'm still trying different things with my own name list.

In other news, I'm in a mellow grind myself. Ive cleared exalt and can stomp most anything the computer can throw at me. I basically just let terror missions through in North America, rebuild the sats, and do fortress assaults for farming. I've gotten up to MEC-1s and pulse lances, and am slowly plugging my A-team into the gene melds.

As expected, I have no idea how to use MECs. I just march them around till they get 90% injured, then I pull them off the line and let my normal troops wrap up. Im currently scrapping all my labs for workshops so I can upgrade faster. At the moment, Im thinking

I glanced at the post and thought the MECs would have Flamefists, which I immediately assumed to be a hacked together Kinetic Strike Module and Flamethrower. :allears:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm in mid May and thus far I've researched the biology (and now have 26 scientists via it), weaponry, beam lasers, advanced beam lasers, alien materials, and am now working on Xenophysiology (I think... The Meld thing) because I was gonna beeline for MECs... my first Muton showed up on May 4 :gonk: after I slapped the aliens around all April.

Currently have 1 Lab, 2 Uplinks, Officer School, 2 Fission generators and a Thermal in the works (had to rush down to level 3), and my Foundry on the way... was going to aim for 2 Labs and a 2x2 block of 3 Workshops and the Foundry, is that dumb?

I've got 6 interceptors, 2 just now getting armed with laser cannons, and I have 4 rifles, a pistol, the LMG laser (Autolaser, I think?), and a Scatter Laser and SMG on the way. I'm also completely broke and barely have 60 bucks right now... Had 3 sats up but they shot down my satellite over India because I only had 1 interceptor up (5 days to arm a laser cannon? :argh:) and it couldn't chase the drat fighter off.

I'm doing okay on Alloys and Elerium and such because of that landed Supply Ship, plus a Landed Abductor I just bagged (with fewer casualties thankfully), and I have 4 LTs plus the Captain upgrade available (no one seems to qualify yet), and have only lost 1 soldier so far (on the drat terror mission, had to sacrifice him to save the team from a bad Chrysalid activation, thankfully he was just a SPEC), all my other 41 troops are at least SPECs (only 2 of those left), the bulk are LCPLs with about 12 or so CPLs.

Not sure what to research next... I've got a couple Alloy Plates on the way, but can't afford to make more. Not sure if I should go Gauss next or go straight for MECs, or instead go Carapace... I'm only getting 500/month now and have to replace that satellite, plus I think I need to focus on covering Australia to max my Asia bonus, but that leaves not much money left. I've sold some stuff, and have retarded numbers of Thin Men corpses, but I don't want to corner myself and sell off too many Surgeries and Computers and such. Any suggestions?

I feel like even though I'm doing well in the ground (freakishly well, even), I'm still falling behind and will get my poo poo rocked once EXALT shows. I'm failing at base game. :smith:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Antti posted:

I glanced at the post and thought the MECs would have Flamefists, which I immediately assumed to be a hacked together Kinetic Strike Module and Flamethrower. :allears:

:allears: I have no skill with programming but that sounds hella awesome. Ill see if there is a kludge :D

The other thing I'd love to do is replace the sawed off shotgun with a chainsaw, for obvious reasons.

Fuzz posted:

Research

Im loving the research 'new combat systems'. Its has a ton of widgets for your team. For buying new things, Id say bee line for the air war - get max number of planes with laser cannons on your home continent, and as many air war foundry projects as you can.

(Ive played Long War almost completely once, but that worked for my early game)

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Fuzz posted:

was going to aim for 2 Labs and a 2x2 block of 3 Workshops and the Foundry, is that dumb?

You want a 2x2 block of 2 workshops, the cybernetics lab, and the foundry.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Giving rookies laser pointers, SCOPEs and laser rifles makes them actually useful.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

LowellDND posted:

The MEC Railgun is better than the Pulse Lance if you don't need suppression. Same damage and crit range except 10% vs 20% crit (railgun vs. pulse), 4 vs 3 ammo, and the Railgun's DR bypass. The Railgun is also substantially cheaper and faster to build.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

About to finish out May and got the New Foundland Mission. :gonk:

Shotgun time!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Ah, Newfoundland really isn't that hard, especially in LW. Just bring a shitton of shotguns, flashbangs, and AP grenades.

...Oh gently caress off Exalt. Five Covert Extractions in a row. :gonk:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

legoman727 posted:

Ah, Newfoundland really isn't that hard, especially in LW. Just bring a shitton of shotguns, flashbangs, and AP grenades.

...Oh gently caress off Exalt. Five Covert Extractions in a row. :gonk:

Yep, ever since Beagle showed how to cheese Newfoundland I find the mission a chore rather than a challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

legoman727 posted:

Alternatively, do what I did when I got Newfoundland as my third Council mission and bring a long-range squad and a pair of SHIVs. Use the SHIVs (which are faster by far than low-rank soldiers) to trigger pods of Chryssalids and the long-range soldiers to blow them up, and use the SHIVs' superior speed to run back from the ship in just 2.5 turns. And hey, if one of them dies, no big deal, it's like $20 to fix it.

• Locked thread