Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

http://www.scmp.com/news/china-insider/article/1681871/wechat-angers-communist-officials-flying-virtual-american-flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
That so many Chinese users where using the words "civil rights", so often in normal mobile conversation on WeChat in fact that the American flag pop up irritated the Chinese authorities is remarkable.
Obviously we now know what the majority there are thinking about contrary to what the Chinese authorities would have us believe! Well done, civil rights are an important fight for many.
For more enlightened and less degraded and repressed peoples of the free and freer world than China, American cultural Imperialism is though a real problem. When ipad restricts my spelling to American English to an extent it makes typing proper English correspondence almost impossible I believe they've over stepped the mark somewhat.
But I was truly infuriated the other day to be greeted by name on my birthday with wishes and all when I opened google. How dare they, I dont want their wishes I dont know who they are and I dont know how they found out when my birthday is even. I felt like I had had my personal details robbed, my personal information plundered and my privacy invaded.
Disgusting!
Those daily google themes also get on my nerves, no matter what country you are in or from the fact that google assumes you are interested or agree in who or what they choose to celebrate is truly sickening.
The Chinese officials have a point there should be an internationally recognisable symbol for freedom which should've popped up instead of the American flag. Quite right.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

that seems uh....really really gentle for a japanese occupation

I figure the Japanese troops that initially moved through didn't have the time or the energy to get all "rapey" as they had just finished fighting the nationalists and had to press on the attack, so the short time they had was just used to look for a quick bite to eat before they had to move on.

Also it seems that the Japanese treated different parts of occupied China differently. The Chinese in the North East are taller and have a lighter complexion, which might have something to do with it, also the south, especially Nanjing was the Nationalist stronghold, so they fought a lot harder there, and the Japanese would have been more frustrated. Also when they took Nanjing, it was a symbolic victory over China, so why not let your troops cut loose? Also a lot of it probably comes down to the Garrison commander. If he's a total rear end in a top hat, then you're likely to have a really bad time under his rule.

The division of food and livestock I think was a really smart way to do things (from the Japanese commander's position). If you just waltz in and take all their livestock and crops, then what incentive do the locals have to grow more? They're not going to get any of it, and if you just treat them like slaves, they'll do the least amount of work possible, that won't result in them being killed. On the other hand, if you still allow them to feed themselves and still make a profit, then they'll have that incentive to keep growing crops and raising livestock.

***I have absolutely no idea if this is what he was actually thinking, or if it was army policy, but apparently people in other nearby towns were literally worked and starved to death during the winters, and they would have to eat bark and dig up grass under the snow for food as all of their winter stores were taken in the late fall. It just seems that their village got a lucky roll of the dice. Later on in the occupation, things did get much harder, but she didn't remember anyone in her village actually starving to death. The grandmother remembers going to the Japanese family's house with the girl her age that she played with and getting a slice of an apple, which was like the biggest deal ever!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Just change the thread name to Storytime with Blistex: The Joys of the Cultural Revolution!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Blistex posted:

"If Yang was any shorter, none of us would have survived the war!"
lol

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
can we also talk about japan? where no old person in any sort of esteem from others is ever wrong

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kikka posted:

can we also talk about japan? where no old person in any sort of esteem from others is ever wrong

no this is a thread for china

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
id read a japan.jpg thread. even if it's a dumping site for nature photos and poo poo. i like geography and trees and other assorted gay poo poo like that

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

id read a japan.jpg thread. even if it's a dumping site for nature photos and poo poo. i like geography and trees and other assorted gay poo poo like that

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Frostwerks posted:

I used to come home from a night out drinking and watch the NHK World channel online, which is nothing but very relaxing programs about things like the Japanese countryside, fishing, or what everyone is having for lunch over there. Its the chillest poo poo.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Red Bones posted:

I used to come home from a night out drinking and watch the NHK World channel online, which is nothing but very relaxing programs about things like the Japanese countryside, fishing, or what everyone is having for lunch over there. Its the chillest poo poo.

that is extremely my poo poo

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

:japan: click here :japan:

Currently showing a program about the artisanal magic of those walls that are made of paper, I wasnt kidding when i said it was the chillest poo poo.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i also like human landscapes. like that golf course on that manmade island in tokyo bay. you know the one, right beside the industrial site.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Red Bones posted:

NHK World had the most relaxing music for its weather segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7VrBGOA8rw

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Red Bones posted:

:japan: click here :japan:

Currently showing a program about the artisanal magic of those walls that are made of paper, I wasnt kidding when i said it was the chillest poo poo.

Where in the hell did they find the Japanese equivalent of an Alan Thicke?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

oh wow this is chill as gently caress. talking about the "scenery woven of light and shadow" by rice paper walls

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Frostwerks posted:

They've hosed up a lot of their land too I'm afraid and they've got a bunch of really neat old looking stuff that's faked to look ancient.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It is done(!):Japan.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me, I have yearnings for foreign travel to sublimate by locating and posting .jpgs and .gifs of exotic foreign lands.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Thump! posted:

Just change the thread name to Storytime with Blistex: The Joys of the Cultural Revolution!

I'm going to try an put some stories together tonight after I talk with my wife and she has her nightly Skype with her mom. I want to make sure everything is right and I'm not making a mess of the stories. Here's one off the top of my head about money and CCP economic ineptitude.

Post-War Chinese Yuan/Gold/Food Prices:

During the earlier days of the cultural revolution the value of the Yuan was all over the place due to the CCP's heavy-handedness when it came economic policies. As a result, transactions in the rural areas usually took the form or bartering. So people who grew corn, wheat, and rice would trade with people who raised chickens or with people who offered services like tailors or contractors.

When my grandmother-in-law was raising my mother in law and her sisters (2) and brother (1) she had to sweep streets to make ends meet. Before the CCP victory and before the war, back when her father was alive they made a pretty good living as he had a truck (pretty rare) and would move goods for the government, and later for the Nationalist forces. Her grandfather used to have a small gold mine even earlier than that (during the Republican era, before Chiang Kai-shek took over). As such they had a lot of gold jewelery that was given to them during their wedding and paper money that amounted to a small fortune.

After the Republic changed hands to Chiang Kai-shek, the money was changed, but the conversion resulted in a loss, as 1000 RMB in the old cash would end up being 750 RMB in the new money. After the CCP took over there was another change over that resulted in that 750 RMB turning into about half of that. By the time the Cultural revolution started taking hold and getting into full swing in the 60's the paper money was pretty much exhausted, and they had to start trading for food. Since she was a widow without any real skills she had to sweep streets. Obviously that was not going to feed a family of 5, so she started trading gold for food. At the height of the food scarcity during the early 60's you could expect to pay 100 RMB for week's worth of rice (today 100 RMB will get you enough rice for a month).

By the early 70's the famine was over, but food scarcity was still a big deal. At this point the paper money had run out, and my grandmother-in-law resorted to trading gold for food. In 1975 her oldest daughter (my aunt-in-law) had a boy and she had to do the "one month sitting" (when you stay in the home for 100 days eating bland food) and traditionally in the North East you eat a lot of eggs. Since she was breastfeeding, and this was the first boy grandson in the family no expense was spared, and she had to get some eggs for her. The height of food inflation (in her mind) was when one gold ring (24k) fetched one egg. She spent a small fortune in gold (which might have amounted to $100,000 in today's market) on a few cartons of eggs and noodles.

One of these for an Egg.

She described the amount of gold jewellery as being two handfulls together, so probably more than this and all heavy 24k stuff.

I'm pretty sure that 100 RMB will get you one of these big bags of rice today.

I'm going to put together some stories about the red guard, tearing down the "Old China", and making doctors farmers, and farmers doctors.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

yes, please. keep posting. very interesting stuff.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Blistex posted:

One of these for an Egg.

This is why I laugh at people hording gold for the collapse of society. If you can't eat it or kill something with it, its worthless.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Bloodnose posted:

That so many Chinese users where using the words "civil rights", so often in normal mobile conversation on WeChat in fact that the American flag pop up irritated the Chinese authorities is remarkable.
Obviously we now know what the majority there are thinking about contrary to what the Chinese authorities would have us believe! Well done, civil rights are an important fight for many.
For more enlightened and less degraded and repressed peoples of the free and freer world than China, American cultural Imperialism is though a real problem. When ipad restricts my spelling to American English to an extent it makes typing proper English correspondence almost impossible I believe they've over stepped the mark somewhat.
But I was truly infuriated the other day to be greeted by name on my birthday with wishes and all when I opened google. How dare they, I dont want their wishes I dont know who they are and I dont know how they found out when my birthday is even. I felt like I had had my personal details robbed, my personal information plundered and my privacy invaded.
Disgusting!
Those daily google themes also get on my nerves, no matter what country you are in or from the fact that google assumes you are interested or agree in who or what they choose to celebrate is truly sickening.
The Chinese officials have a point there should be an internationally recognisable symbol for freedom which should've popped up instead of the American flag. Quite right.

I thought this was you writing, was wondering if you had finally gone over the deep end

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Sammus posted:

This is why I laugh at people hording gold for the collapse of society. If you can't eat it or kill something with it, its worthless.

gold is heavy heavy enough to use to kill people.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

TOILETLORD posted:

gold is heavy heavy enough to use to kill people.

I guess if you want to carry an ingot around with you, however bricks and rocks and stuff are about as effective. Gold itself is far too soft to be made into a proper edged weapon.

Also, this times a thousand:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

yes, please. keep posting. very interesting stuff.

These sorts of stories are what make these threads actually interesting, in addition to the black humor of impoverished nation states.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Thump! posted:

I guess if you want to carry an ingot around with you, however bricks and rocks and stuff are about as effective. Gold itself is far too soft to be made into a proper edged weapon.

Also, this times a thousand:

These sorts of stories are what make these threads actually interesting, in addition to the black humor of impoverished nation states.

this thread was for making fun of china make your own thread in the proper forum for travel stories.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Storing gold is more about having something non-perishable and in demand in a stable society.

If they'd been able to hold onto it then despite a currency change wiping out a paper money fortune, they'd still have been rich. It's just that the money ran out before stability returned, which, yes, is when you want your eatin'/killin' type barter goods

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Seconding: Post more stories.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I am enjoying story time.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 19, 2015

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

I'm from North Eastern China too but since my parents and I came to Canada I haven't really talked to my grandparents that much. I do remember this one story from when I went back to Harbin a few years ago and visited my dad's side.
When my dad was a kid, whenever his family would get to use their rare allotment of food tickets for high quality pork (probably for New Years or a wedding), he would take the grease from the pork and before hanging out with his friends just casually rub some pork grease on his cheeks or something. He would do this for like a week leading up to and even after the festivities were over and make his friends think he was living the life eating fatty pork belly every day.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

A Jupiter posted:

I'm from North Eastern China too but since my parents and I came to Canada I haven't really talked to my grandparents that much. I do remember this one story from when I went back to Harbin a few years ago and visited my dad's side.
When my dad was a kid, whenever his family would get to use their rare allotment of food tickets for high quality pork (probably for New Years or a wedding), he would take the grease from the pork and before hanging out with his friends just casually rub some pork grease on his cheeks or something. He would do this for like a week leading up to and even after the festivities were over and make his friends think he was living the life eating fatty pork belly every day.

Double your "face" in just seven days - dad discovers one simple trick that Party Members don't want you to know!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

A Jupiter posted:

My father in law grew up in Harbin. What are the odds?

Love the feedback, but if anyone else has stories or pictures please contribute. I love sharing these, but I don't want to take over the thread. After I get the Cultural revolution memories out of the way I'll have pretty much exhausted my story supply.

Here is a story that causes my wife to bury he head in the nearest pillow at the slightest mention of it.

The grandmother in the gold story was also the same grandmother who tried to send me back to Canada with a bunch of poppy seeds so I could grow my own. . . I obviously refused as politely as possible. She grows poppies and then takes the seeds and boils them in tea to help with her arthritis (she is a typical Chinese granny who walks with her back almost 90 degrees forwards). She also smokes raw tobacco leaves rolled in newspaper and sleeps on a stone and clay bed that has a wood stove underneath it. Since her back issues have gotten worse in recent years (30 years of street sweeping will do that) she is mostly confined to the house and watches a lot of TV, but hates the noisy ads (a sentiment all cultures have). My wife and I bought her a portable media player (like a simple tablet, but mostly for watching movies) and we had the vendor selling it load it up with this historical drama series she liked (fairly common service around their area). Our thought process was that she could skip all the ads, and whenever she wanted a new series, they could take it back to the vendor to get it loaded. Along with the tv series, my wife asked the vendor to also put some Indian musicals on there are well, as they are somewhat popular and grandma likes them. I guess the vendor got sloppy when transferring films, as he accidentally loaded up a western porno into the mix, and after she watched the season finale of "50 year golden marriage? (I forget the exact name)" she was treated to your typical run of the mill Guy+Gal porno.

About a minute into the film she calls my mother in-law into the room because, "these two people are talking, but there are no subtitles". My mother in-law fools around with the settings and manages to load them and goes back to preparing lunch. Another minute later she hears the grandmother saying, "this movie is very yellow" (they use "yellow" to refer to something with sexual content). My mother in law says, "it will be over soon", assuming it was just a romantic part that showed a little more kissing and skin that the usual mainland fare. A minute later she hears, "this movie is too yellow!". She goes into the room and takes a look and the guy is pushing all his 9" into this chick. They're both shocked, and watch for a few minutes until the girl starts, "kissing his jib" (penis) then shut it off.

This resulted in two very awkward situations.

1. We gave my wife's 85 year old grandmother a media player with porn on it.

2. Everyone now assumes I'm as endowed as a "gifted" porn star.

The first was easy to explain as we asked the vendor to put the tv series and some movies on the device, and we had nothing to do with it having that movie on it.

The second resulted in all her aunts asking my wife how "talented" I was (she is very easily embarrassed so wouldn't say anything), which prompted my father in-law to say, "Blistex makes that guy look like a little boy, all the guys in the mine shower will tell you.

Explanation: This is a small mining town and up until the new apartment blocks were built in the 90's, the only shower facilities were at the mine. There was a building that used hot water from the mine's coal boilers for community showers (giant mens shower room with ~50 showers and the same for the women). These are jam packed every night as it's not only really hot water with awesome pressure and a nice tile facility, but it's also a social thing. The week before my father in law took me there (their apartment has a shower, but he wanted to go socialize, and I tagged along). When we arrived he realized that this would be a incredibly awkward as everyone would want a chance to take a look at my "equipment" so at the last minute he sprung for a private room that I could go to alone. I was about to decline, but remembered that the private rooms have a big hot tub (10x10') so I agreed to use it. A month later I went again and declined the private room and it was not as bad as my father in-law thought. Only a few guys were obviously looking, and most people wanted to see if anyone had an rear end as white as mine (nope), resulting in contestants coming up to compare. Luckily I (like everyone else there was pretty drunk) so it was pretty funny at the time and didn't seem awkward as hell. What is awkward is trying to smoke in 99% humidity while you're already crazy drunk, and getting even drunker on warm Baijiu.

Here is a ghetto-panorama of the mining town. Behind me is the mine proper, (big open pit nickel mine) and in the first picture you can see the coal boiler plant, and in front of it you can see the shower facility Double-wing building with the elevated middle. In the next photo you can see the apartment complex where my parents in-law had their place. And in the next photo you can see the typical rowed houses, then corn fields, then a man-made pond where they raise fish (white patch in the far background).

Blistex fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 19, 2015

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

quote:

2. Everyone now assumes I'm as endowed as a "gifted" porn star.

i could think of worse reputations

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So wait, are you gifted?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
it's cool that your father-in-law is willing to troll the gently caress outta your family like that

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fojar38 posted:

i could think of worse reputations

A week later when one of my wife's aunts was measuring my in-seam for a suit I think she was trying to confirm/deny. :stare: (me)

WarpedNaba posted:

So wait, are you gifted?

I'm no "nine incher" but I edge out the N. American average.
:goonsay:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

it's cool that your father-in-law is willing to troll the gently caress outta your family like that

He is an alcoholic trollmaster. As soon as he has the required amount of alcohol in his system, all the filters are off. It's too bad that I didn't know more mandarin so I could get the gist of all his jokes. My wife is usually unwilling to translate most of them due to their adult/tolling nature. There are quite a few stories that involve him, booze and hilarity, and he's known in town as a bit of a drinker (which is an accomplishment in China).

Cultural Revolution Stuff:

(backstory) A lot of this stuff is pretty well known due to the horrific/laffo nature of it. Basically the entire 20 year debacle started because Mao realized that he couldn't coast on his victory over the nationalists forever, and combined with his failed invasion of Taiwan and getting nearly 200,000 soldiers killed in the Korean war, he was losing influence to other younger and more competent leaders. Thus the Cultural Revolution was born. Basically the idea was to erase the old china, and establish a personality cult around Mao, while getting rid of anyone who might oppose him. It was basically a Stalinist purge, except culture and history was also included in the deathtoll. Mao focussed his attentions on the youth and uneducated because they were the most easily swayed. Overnight the villiage retard, who never had a job, worked a day in his life, or was able to find a woman became the most powerful person in town. Guys who resented the hell out of everyone would be given mobs with clubs and guns and go crazy "getting even" with anyone who had ever slighted them in the past. In some places it was almost literal anarchy, with mobs of red guards running around killing, looting, and basically letting all their frustrations out.

Growing up in Harbin, my father in-law was lucky that his dad was a middle manager in a factory, so he was high enough up the ladder that he made a decent wage, but also not high enough that he would be classified as a "landlord" (a person who was rich or educated). When the cultural revolution started it moved in waves across the country, and reached Harbin later than other places due to it begin very far north. When it did take hold it was apparently less insane as in other places.

School: In some parts of the country teachers were dragged out of their classes by students and killed outright, as the students had been emboldened and the roving mobs of red guards would make a lot of their wishes a reality. Chinese teachers are a little harsh, and this was the chance for students to get even. My father in-law was only 7 at the time, but his memories were pretty vivid. In his school nobody was ever killed, but he watched as teachers were taken out of classes, had placards placed around their necks, and made to march down the street while people booed, hit and spat at them. When the people had their fun they just let them go, and some returned to school, and others ran for fear of further retribution. In his older brother's school (high school) the students attempted the same thing, but the principal was a WWII/Korea vet and apparently a big guy and pretty tough (despite being in his 60's at this point). When the red guard attempted to embolden the high school students the principal walked right up the the red guard ringleader and told him to shut up. The red guard went to strike him with his club and promptly got punched in the chest and doubled over. The principal bellowed, "I've killed enough Japanese devils and Yankee aggressors to fill fill 100 graves. What have any of you done for the party? These men (high schools were predominantly male teachers) are trying to prepare you to do the same, get on your knees and apologize!" After the kids begged for forgiveness the red guards went away, and tried to come back in force, but a sign at the gates read, "This is a school of Chinese patriots, and "Principal Name" vouches for their devotion to the party". Apparently the principal was a legit war hero.

(this is a second-hand story that was told by an uncle who witnessed it while he was a teen, then related to me by my father in-law who was half in the bag, I'm sure there is a little embellishment).

Blistex fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 20, 2015

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Blistex posted:

When the red guard attempted to embolden the high school students the principal walked right up the the red guard ringleader and told him to shut up. The red guard went to strike him with his club and promptly got punched in the chest and doubled over. The principal bellowed, "I've killed enough Japanese devils and Yankee aggressors to fill fill 100 graves. What have any of you done for the party? These men (high schools were predominantly male teachers) are trying to prepare you to do the same, get on your knees and apologize!"

Every molecule in my body wants this to be true. Never doubt old nigga strength!

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

always good to see the elders contributing to stdh.txt

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My parents are Chinese immigrants, and they really don't talk too much about their time during the Cultural Revolution. I've only been told a few awful stories, the worst being that my father was forced to watch a public execution by his foreman at a factory. My grandpa, his dad, got sent out to the country for reeducation, and my Dad's family was marked for being 'bad', or some poo poo. So the foreman apparently forced my dad to go watch people get murdered (it was alluded that this happened more than once) so he could learn to be a good citizen.

My mom said the worst thing about the time was simply not being able to trust people. Not your neighbors, or even sometimes family members. You never knew who you might slight and they would level a j'accuse against you leaving you to harassment by the Red Guards and other such assholes.

Dad's side of the family is doing well these days though. Turns out owning factories and poo poo is pretty great. They're not at the top of the absurd excess, but live a lifestyle comparable to American upper-middle class, which as we can see from this thread, is pretty loving amazing for China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
guys i have got to know more about the north american average.

• Locked thread