Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I'd go 4.5 Rories for Donna.

You're chopping Rory in half you monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You know opinions are subjective and all that, but anybody who doesn't like Rory is pretty much just a big ol' liar, or possibly suffering from some kind of mentally debilitating condition.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Rory? More like... Snory :smug:

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 20, 2015

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Toxxupation posted:

I actually agree that the epilogue was kind of a mess in tone after the really fantastic climax, but the climax was so good-namely, it was ME3's ending but not loving poo poo, you know i'm right annakie -that it's hard to stay mad at it

You'll never get any arguments from me that ME3's ending is complete and utter horseshit.

Yet I've started another trilogy playthrough.

Toxxupation posted:

I'm pleased to announce a new grade system for reviews, it'll be a five point system based on the Rory scale

Rory of course will be at the top of the scale, getting the full 5 Rories out of a possible 5 Rories

If there's one companion that I love as much as Martha Jones, it's Rory Williams. :allears: (Donna is a close 3rd.)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 20, 2015

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

How do other companion boyfriends rate on Rory scale?

Does Mickey rank higher or lower than Donna's original spider-friend fiancé?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

I'm pleased to announce a new grade system for reviews, it'll be a five point system based on the Rory scale

Rory of course will be at the top of the scale, getting the full 5 Rories out of a possible 5 Rories

Excellent

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Annakie posted:

If there's one companion that I love as much as Martha Jones, it's Rory Williams. :allears: (Donna is a close 3rd.)

Misread that as Robin Williams, had the most amazing mental picture ever, then got depressed when I remembered it'll never happen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rory is a darling and a sweetie. Rory, Amy, Eleven = One True Tardis.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Does anyone know how to find the comments Moffat made after the first Eleven episode premiered? I recall an interesting comment about Rory in them, but I want to make sure he said it (and said it that early) before I give it to Toxx.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Toxxupation posted:

You are a good person, Rory is the best.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I don't really remember all that much about the next few episodes but Rory is pretty cool. Nice to see The Doctor break his own rules and take "family members" along with him for once

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rory is mostly great but his devotion to Amy, who takes him entirely for granted and was all too willing to cheat on him what feels like moments ago, makes him feel like a chump. It's nice to have a male romantic interest that has a pair, though. And Arthur Darvill is fantastic.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

pseudodragon posted:

How do other companion boyfriends rate on Rory scale?

Does Mickey rank higher or lower than Donna's original spider-friend fiancé?

Mickey should be the opposite of a Rory, it's how we rate terrible things. One Mickey = one negative Rory

Like when a doctor asks you how bad the pain is, you respond on a scale from one to ten Mickeys.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I feel like I'm compelled to ask how many Rories Mickies Rose is.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sighence posted:

I feel like I'm compelled to ask how many Rories Mickies Rose is.

Ten Mickies = One Rose in the metric system

So when the nurse asks how bad the pain is, you say "one Rose," because that's when she's allowed to bring you more morphine.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Toxxupation posted:

This is getting too ridiculous.
Rory himself cannot be worth more than 1 Rory, thats how Rory-math just works!
Besides, Donna is still way better. She had a crappier Doctor though.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

adhuin posted:

This is getting too ridiculous.
Rory himself cannot be worth more than 1 Rory, thats how Rory-math just works!
Besides, Donna is still way better. She had a crappier Doctor though.

No, no. One Rory would be a fifth of a Rory. 5/5 Rories is 100% of a Rory.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

thexerox123 posted:

No, no. One Rory would be a fifth of a Rory. 5/5 Rories is 100% of a Rory.

Pretend this video explains Rory-math:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw

Just replace word "Time" with "Rory-math"

Issaries fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 20, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wibbly-wobbly Rory-wory... stuff.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toxxidation's current occupation is currently spiraling out of control.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drat it, I don't think I gave this episode enough Rories.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The Doctor Who fundamental constant is exactly 15 Amy-Rories per Doctor-River-Moffat

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Smello posted:

Rory is mostly great but his devotion to Amy, who takes him entirely for granted and was all too willing to cheat on him what feels like moments ago, makes him feel like a chump. It's nice to have a male romantic interest that has a pair, though. And Arthur Darvill is fantastic.

I think that makes him really good though, he's the unassuming young man from the village who turns out to be the real hero of purest heart etc etc to fit in with the fairy tale themes of this season.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Smello posted:

And Arthur Darvill is fantastic.

I finished watching Gracepoint and developed a severe aversion to the actor playing the preacherman in the American remake. He couldn't say a single word without coming off as weird and unctuous as hell. I thought there could be no character in the story worse than the stupid psychic, until I saw the American-version preacher.

Then Broadchurch came back and I appreciate Arthur Darvill more than ever. He's been in two or three scenes so far and he's fantastic.

Can we get him to be the next Doctor or would that be too weird?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Filox posted:

I finished watching Gracepoint and developed a severe aversion to the actor playing the preacherman in the American remake. He couldn't say a single word without coming off as weird and unctuous as hell. I thought there could be no character in the story worse than the stupid psychic, until I saw the American-version preacher.

Then Broadchurch came back and I appreciate Arthur Darvill more than ever. He's been in two or three scenes so far and he's fantastic.

Can we get him to be the next Doctor or would that be too weird?

That makes perfect sense. He's unimpressed by the Doctor because he is the Doctor.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

You know opinions are subjective and all that, but anybody who doesn't like Rory is pretty much just a big ol' liar, or possibly suffering from some kind of mentally debilitating condition.

Rory is a disgusting nerd-pandering poo poo
I hate Rory and his stories so much

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

fatherboxx posted:

No.

Doctor Who has several nerd pander characters that make it feel like a Big Bang Theory rejected episode, but Rory isn't one of them.
Also, if you want to see true nerd pandering then Love And Monsters is that way.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Flesh & Stone

This one seems to really split people and I think it was uncertainty over how Toxx would react to the seeing the angels move part. It's had the most F guesses so far (sorry guys).

A
Organza Quiz
BSam
Gandalf21
Rochallor
M_Gargantua
cool kids inc.
Grouchio
And More
Prison Warden
Mo0
Practical Demon
egon_beeblebrox
Fungah!
DetoxP
Arsenic Lupin
adhuin
ThePlague-Daemon
Captain Capitalism
BeefyTaco
AndwhatIseeisme
Senor Tron
30.5 Days
hcreight

B
thrawn527
Glenn_Beckett
Regy Rusty
cargohills
FreezingInferno
Random Stranger
Daedleh
Burkion
Hewlett
jng2058
Stumiester
DoctorWhat
Stobbit
Bobulus
Blasmeister
???
Senerio
Xenoborg
Keisse J
Paul.Power
Stormgale
Smello
idonotlikepeas
2house2fly
f#a#
Colonel Cool
Roach Warehouse
John Charity Spring
LabyaMynora
Jet Jaguar
Fucknag
Legoman727
Hannibal Smith
MikeJF
thexerox123
Anonymouse Mook
Noxville
Proposition Joe
GonSmithe
FewtureMD

C
Jakiri
fatherboxx
Not a Twat
Pinwiz11
Attitude Indicator
mind the walrus
ewe2
Squalitude
Party Boat
PurpleJesus
ThNextGreenLantern
Andrew_1985
Sinestro
docbeard
Big Mean Jerk
Bunnita
surc
SirSamVimes
Kevino07
WeirdSandwich
Ohtsam
ActionZero
Jsor
RodShaft
NeuroticLich

D
umalt
death .cab for qt
Jurgan
Go RV!
Howe_sam

F
Tiggum
Juvenalian.Satyr
radmonger
Sighence
Irony Be My Shield

Which means, for the sharp eyed, that we are down to one person still batting a perfect score. Also semi-congrats to Sighence for maintaining his worst score.

Proposition Joe 0
Rochallor 1
stumeister 1
Noxville 1
Regy Rusty 2
BSam 2
Hewlett 2
Keisse J 2
Prison Warden 2
Paul Power 2
2house2fly 2
Big Mean Jerk 2
SirSamVimes 2
LabyaMynora 2
Kevino07 2
MikeJF 2
Cargohills 3
Organza 3
Random Stranger 3
Daedleh 3
Gandalf21 3
jng2058 3
DoctorWhat 3
Stobbit 3
Xenoborg 3
Attitude Indicator 3
Practical Demon 3
f#a# 3
Docbeard 3
Bunnita 3
DetoxP 3
Arsenic Lupin 3
John Charity Spring 3
Hannibal Smith 3
BeefyTaco 3
WeirdSandwich 3
thexerox123 3
GonSmithe 3
Glenn_Beckett 4
FreezingInferno 4
Not a Twat 4
Blasmeister 4
M Gargantua 4
??? 4
Senario 4
cool kids inc. 4
ewe2 4
Smello 4
Fungah! 4
PurpleJesus 4
Colonel Cool 4
Senor Tron 4
Ohtsam 4
Anonymouse Mook 4
Jsor 4
hcreight 4
Howe_sam 4
FewtureMD 4
thrawn257 5
Pinwiz11 5
Bobulus 5
Mind the walrus 5
Grouchio 5
Stormgale 5
Radmonger 5
adhuin 5
ThePlague-Daemon 5
Captain Capitalism 5
ActionZero 5
30.5 Days 5
Irony Be My Shield 5
Jakari 6
Burkion 6
fatherboxx 6
Squalitude 6
Party Boat 6
Jurgan 6
Legoman727 6
NeuroticLich 6
umalt 7
death .cab for qt 7
And More 7
egon_beeblebrox 7
idonotlikepeas 7
surc 7
Roach Warehouse 7
Jet Jaguar 7
Fucknag 7
AndwhatIseeisme 7
Juvenalian Satyr 8
MoO 8
ThNextGreenLantern 8
Andrew_1985 8
Go RV! 8
RodShaft 8
Tiggum 10
Sinestro 11
Sighence 14

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I did not mean nerd as "someone who probably watches Doctor Who religiously" but rather a spineless wimp that nerds can easily identify with

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

I did not mean nerd as "someone who probably watches Doctor Who religiously" but rather a spineless wimp that nerds can easily identify with

Wrong about Rory, and about nerds. Nice work.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

I hate Rory and his stories so much

This is the most wrong opinion possible.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rory is poo poo just like everything else in Moffat's run gently caress Ro-NAHHHHH Rory is kool

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fatherboxx posted:

But, he's not? He believed something was up with the coma patients. Everyone at work told him he was wrong, and maybe a bit crazy, and he should drop it. He stuck to his guns and took pictures to try to prove that something was wrong. He kept trying to bring up the crazy thing, even to the point where it hurt his career.

He's not spineless and he's not a wimp. He doesn't have the suave confidence of the Doctor or Captain Jack, but he's not someone housebound with crippling social anxiety either.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rory is cool and also Arthur Darvill did the stage musical version of Once, which was also cool, although I liked the film version better. My wife and I used a string quartet version of Falling Slowly to walk down the aisle during our wedding, so I guess Doctor Who did show up, extremely tangentially.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Rory is cool and also Arthur Darvill did the stage musical version of Once, which was also cool, although I liked the film version better.

I saw him in this and somehow missed all the signs with him on it outside so it was only when going on stage during the opening audience participation that I suddenly realized I was standing next to Rory Williams.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I saw him in this and somehow missed all the signs with him on it outside so it was only when going on stage during the opening audience participation that I suddenly realized I was standing next to Rory Williams.

By the time I saw it, he was obviously no longer a part of the run, but in the recordings, he sounds pretty drat good. I would have had no idea, having seen him in The Eleventh Hour, that he could sing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Darvill's got a garage band or something. He's a multi-talented man and he's so good in Broadchurch (which I just marathoned this weekend).

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Well, glad to see that I'm in tune with our esteemed reviewer and the RNG. Just chiming in to say that this thread got me to rewatch Dr Who for the first time since I saw them on TV, with all the good and bad that entails.

I vaguely recall being annoyed with Catherine Tate due to seemingly every person in the country deciding that "Am I Bovvered? You know, like Catherine Tate!" was an ok thing to say at the time, so definitely didn't give Donna a fair shot the first time round.

Amy and Rory do rock though - I remember The 11th Hour feeling like a huge gust of fresh air.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I remember not much caring for Rory. And Shaun of the Dead was just OK. For a zombie movie. Hot Fuzz was pretty good, but not the transcendent experience people make it out to be. I haven't seen The World's End, but it sounds all right. These are my opinions in case you were wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rory is a fundamentally decent person in the way that the Doctor, and River, and certainly Amy, are not. He has a moral core, and he sticks to it. That centeredness, playing against the loopy impulsiveness of the other continuing characters, makes for an interesting dynamic.

And, no, he's not nerd wish-fulfillment, because he doesn't have superpowers and he isn't misunderstood. He's not secretly more powerful than everybody else, he isn't smarter than everyone else, and he's not the true leader. He is just an unshowy good human being, like Wilf.

• Locked thread