Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Mario Kart 8 is a good game that would have been great if it had, like, twice the amount of tracks. Me and my friends gathered for a brews/pizza/MK8 night when the game first game out and ran out of tracks we hadn't already played surprisngly quickly.

Probably not a realistic ask considering the amount of attention put into each track, but the internet isn't for realistic expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Kins posted:

Mario Kart 8 is a good game that would have been great if it had, like, twice the amount of tracks. Me and my friends gathered for a brews/pizza/MK8 night when the game first game out and ran out of tracks we hadn't already played surprisngly quickly.

Probably not a realistic ask considering the amount of attention put into each track, but the internet isn't for realistic expectations.

The DLC is adding like, 16 tracks total I think?

But yeah if you just got a Wii U get:

Bayonetta 2
Super Mario 3D World
Smash Bros

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

You know I remember when I first got the Wii with Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 and some other stuff I was like "Wow, this is the best console ever!" And then several years later my Wii was unplugged and sitting in a box. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with the Wii U because I am currently having so, so much fun with it.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I remember when I first got the Wii with Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 and some other stuff I was like "Wow, this is the best console ever!" And then several years later my Wii was unplugged and sitting in a box. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with the Wii U because I am currently having so, so much fun with it.

That's probably going to happen surely? Things get older and have less interesting new stuff. Unless you are a big retro person.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Shocking news everyone.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-20-human-element-on-hiatus-as-robotoki-shuts-down_7

lol

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

That's really strange honestly

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
First I hear of this game tbh, sorry things
didn't work out for him I guess ?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
theme hospital is free on origin right now

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ign=socialoomph

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Von Linus posted:

That's probably going to happen surely? Things get older and have less interesting new stuff. Unless you are a big retro person.

There's a difference between the way consoles usually get older and have less interesting new stuff, and the nosedive off a cliff the Wii took

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

There's a difference between the way consoles usually get older and have less interesting new stuff, and the nosedive off a cliff the Wii took

The Wii didn't have a lot of 3rd party support outside of shovelware minigame collections because it was both underpowered compared to its competitors and was built around a gimmicky control scheme that not even Nintendo was able to really take advantage of, and both of those are still true for the WiiU. The big difference this time is that they're letting more third-party devs use Nintendo IPs to try and pad out their library but on the other hand Nintendo is still figuring out how to work in HD which is why the first two years of the WiiU were such a wasteland as they shuffled their teams around and delayed games in the name of getting announced titles out the door on time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

See, for me, by the time I finish Hyrule Warriors and everything I want to do with Smash Brothers, I might have the opportunity to pick up Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, maybe, and then it's time for the new Zelda game, so actually, I almost hope that the good games slow down, because I need to manufacture hours to get through them all!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Von Linus posted:

It happened with the Wii much sooner then it should have. While the 360 and PS3 were getting a constant stream of real good games and still are, the Wii was dead in the water pretty fast.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

I said come in! posted:

It happened with the Wii much sooner then it should have. While the 360 and PS3 were getting a constant stream of real good games and still are, the Wii was dead in the water pretty fast.

I thought a large part of that was it wasn't HD, personally. I liked some Wii games but they never looked nearly as good as a a PS3 or 360 game. Art direction covers a multitude of sins mind, but Nintendo seemed able to get a lot more from the Wii than anyone else graphically.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Stux posted:

zombii u

the best post stux has ever made except he spelled the title of the game wrong so now i am banning you stux

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rip in peace, Stux.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Free Stux 2015.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Sux

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Sounds like someone is stux between a rock and a hard place

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

kalstrams posted:

Rip in peace, Stux.

See you in Hell, Stux :twisted:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

I said come in! posted:

Free Stux 2015.

the campaign continues

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

I said come in! posted:

There are about as many good games on the PS3/360 as there are on the Wii though. Last gen was pretty much poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

There are about as many good games on the PS3/360 as there are on the Wii though. Last gen was pretty much poo poo.

Video games are dead, never been a good video game in 20 years.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

I said come in! posted:

Wow is this just a bad opinion page or what??

Video games own and the last generation owned

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Wow is this just a bad opinion page or what??

Video games own and the last generation owned

I was being sarcastic. Last gen was amazing. I never know what to say to people who felt last gen wasn't overflowing with really great games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Video games have been slowly dying since Intellevision's Night Stalker. The industry, like the game, should have stayed locked in a permanent hellhole with confusing controls and a rapidly accelerating difficulty level which punishes those who don't devote their every hour to the hobby.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

I said come in! posted:

Back in my day we went on the real Oregon trail. I shot a buffalo and caught dysentery. If we wanted to see something in high def we went outside and looked at it. Didn't have Nintendo we just poured salt on snails. :corsair:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you are not traversing a haunted labyrinth in a hungry quest to collect everything within the maze, in a meaningless effort that will merely lead to yet another labyrinth, so you can watch numbers go up and claim that your calloused hands are the best at mashing the buttons and twisting the joystick, you are playing the poo poo generation of games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

If you are not traversing a haunted labyrinth in a hungry quest to collect everything within the maze, in a meaningless effort that will merely lead to yet another labyrinth, so you can watch numbers go up and claim that your calloused hands are the best at mashing the buttons and twisting the joystick, you are playing the poo poo generation of games.

Good thing I'm playing SMT4 then

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
smt iv is really good enjoy that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

While I meant Pac Man, it occurs to me that there are a heck of a lot of games that could use that descriptor, actually.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes people say "I'm only watching numbers go up" to dismiss video games and I'm like, that is literally the reason why I play them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I have a hard time imagining how anyone who doesn't find some inherent pleasure in a gradually increasing set of numbers could even get into games to begin with.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes people say "I'm only watching numbers go up" to dismiss video games and I'm like, that is literally the reason why I play them.

I agree completely. The moment when all the numbers reach their climactic high, maxing out at 99, or 100, or 255, induces a feeling of supreme calm and floods me with endorphins. I am not being sarcastic.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Bicyclops posted:

I agree completely. The moment when all the numbers reach their climactic high, maxing out at 99, or 100, or 255, induces a feeling of supreme calm and floods me with endorphins. I am not being sarcastic.

I got 1000 damage per second in Dragon Age and told my wife. She didn't appreciate it on the same level I did. :-(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

In French, this is referred to as "la petit mort."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That moment when you have allowed Don Tonberry to stab you enough times that you have finally sent each and every anime through the Sphere Grid to make each stat 255, with Auto Haste and the other of the finest abilities on your armor, all the lightning bolts dodged, all the butterflies caught. You finally take one last stroll to one-hit KO the meager creatures in the "actual" end dungeon and realize that you have created a race of god kings. It is indescribable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

That moment when you have allowed Don Tonberry to stab you enough times that you have finally sent each and every anime through the Sphere Grid to make each stat 255, with Auto Haste and the other of the finest abilities on your armor, all the lightning bolts dodged, all the butterflies caught. You finally take one last stroll to one-hit KO the meager creatures in the "actual" end dungeon and realize that you have created a race of god kings. It is indescribable.
The Tidus/Jecht high five perfectly encapsulates this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The critical strike was probably the most influential and transformative concept introduced to my younger self.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

loot lust is a serious illness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That moment when you max out all of your skills and attributes and complete all quests, and realize there is nothing left to do but murder each NPC, one at a time, until there is no other living creature in all of Tamriel but you, an Argonian and a mudcrab, whom you force to have philosophical discussions with you about art versus entertainment.

• Locked thread